PDA

View Full Version : Non-ACC Conference Tournament Thread

Acymetric
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey, since the smaller conferences have gotten started already I thought it would be useful to have a thread to discuss any games going on, especially any upsets that might affect the field of 64. I'm mostly cut off from the internet right now so I have no idea what’s going on in most of the other conferences, but I will comment on the one tournament I DO have information about...

There was an earlier thread (http://dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19801) about some late game heroics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOTDai9K4ck) lifting Davidson to a win over Elon University. I would just like to say...payback is a ;)! Especially for what was basically a home game for Davidson at the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte.

Seriously, it was a great game to watch, Elon plays Western Carolina tomorrow, one of the top teams in the SoCon.

Anyone else have any news from other tournaments?

pfrduke
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Hey, since the smaller conferences have gotten started already I thought it would be useful to have a thread to discuss any games going on, especially any upsets that might affect the field of 64. I'm mostly cut off from the internet right now so I have no idea what’s going on in most of the other conferences, but I will comment on the one tournament I DO have information about...

There was an earlier thread (http://dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19801) about some late game heroics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOTDai9K4ck) lifting Davidson to a win over Elon University. I would just like to say...payback is a ;)! Especially for what was basically a home game for Davidson at the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte.

Seriously, it was a great game to watch, Elon plays Western Carolina tomorrow, one of the top teams in the SoCon.

Anyone else have any news from other tournaments?

The A-Sun saw the 5, 6, and 8 seed win their first round games against the 1, 3, and 4 seeds, but it's a 1-bid league anyway.

Lipscomb (the 1 seed) will get a autobid to the NIT, making one less slot for UNC to back into. :)

pfrduke
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
The A-Sun saw the 5, 6, and 8 seed win their first round games against the 1, 3, and 4 seeds, but it's a 1-bid league anyway.

Lipscomb (the 1 seed) will get a autobid to the NIT, making one less slot for UNC to back into. :)

Another relevant result from the A-Sun is that Belmont will not be in the NCAAs to put a scare into the Devils this season.

pfrduke
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Not conference tourney related, so to speak, but Cornell just clinched the Ivy's bid with its win over Brown. They have a 2-game lead in the loss column with just one game to play. Tough luck for Tommy and his Crimson crew.

Neals384
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh, Acymetric, you'll be sorry you started this thread. I know you were thinking about mid-majors, not conferences that have no shot at an at-large bid, but...

Stony Brook is my alma mater, and they have the #1 seed in the America East Tournanament. Stay tuned, I'll let you know about their game vs. 8 seed Albany. Stony Brook has never been to the dance.

I wasn't going to post anything here unless Stony Brook won the AE tournament, but now you've opened the door!:D

Neal

Neals384
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah. On to the semi-finals of the America East.

Bob Green
03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm currently watching the Big South Championship with #1 seed Coastal Carolina taking on #3 seed Winthrop. Cliff Ellis, formerly the coach at Clemson and Auburn, is the coach at Coastal Carolina. Duke beat Coastal Carolina (28-5), 74-49, back on 11/16 in the NIT Pre-Season Tip-off.

Indoor66
03-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm currently watching the Big South Championship with #1 seed Coastal Carolina taking on #3 seed Winthrop. Cliff Ellis, formerly the coach at Clemson and Auburn, is the coach at Coastal Carolina. Duke beat Coastal Carolina (28-5), 74-49, back on 11/16 in the NIT Pre-Season Tip-off.

Turn up the Beach Music! Time for Otis Day and the Nights....:D

Acymetric
03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, Acymetric, you'll be sorry you started this thread. I know you were thinking about mid-majors, not conferences that have no shot at an at-large bid, but...

Stony Brook is my alma mater, and they have the #1 seed in the America East Tournanament. Stay tuned, I'll let you know about their game vs. 8 seed Albany. Stony Brook has never been to the dance.

I wasn't going to post anything here unless Stony Brook won the AE tournament, but now you've opened the door!:D

Neal

Haha, well I actually started this thread to talk about Elon beating Davidson yesterday, but I figured for it to get any attention I needed something more than "eat it Davidson." Though I do like to follow the tournaments where the only bid is the champion, its great to watch those guys go out and play all out just for pride, not for a future in the NBA.

Unfortunately for me, Western Carolina got the best of us today, but the UNC-G pep band got there early and about half of them came over to our section and cheered with us which was pretty cool...but I should have something to pick me back up tonight :)

wolfpackdevil
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM

I really like this Coastal Carolina team. I've seen them play two or three times on TV, and live against Duke. They are very well coached, and play insanely hard for 40 minutes.

They've had an amazing year in the Big South, and right now Lunardi has them as a 15 seed. If they win today, they could be a threat to compete in the NCAA for one game.

I know it sounds crazy, but 15 seeds play well against 2's a lot. Look at Duke vs. Belmont. I'm not saying I'd pick CCU in a first round game against a 2 seed, but it could be a highly competitive game.

Bob Green
03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Winthrop 46 - Coastal Carolina 42 with 4:35 to go in the game. CC is going to have to take better care of the ball down the stretch.

Bob Green
03-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Winthrop wins the Big South Championship with a 64 - 53 defeat of Coastal Carolina. Down the stretch, Coastal Carolina took and missed a lot of outside shots. They were forced to press Winthrop but Winthrop handled the press with ease resulting in a lot of easy baskets.

I'm suprised American Forces Network showed this game, however, I am happy it was available because I enjoyed watching it.

Neals384
03-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Bwaaaah!:mad:

The ole alma mater came up short again this year.

America East championship game will be Boston U vs. the winner of New Hampshire vs. Vermont (starts shortly).

You guys are on your own to follow the America East Tournament from here on out. I gotta find a beer to cry in.

YourLandlord
03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
America East championship game will be Boston U vs. the winner of New Hampshire vs. Vermont (starts shortly).

Go UVM!