PDA

View Full Version : Coach K and the Lakers - Misunderstanding/Misstatement

tommy
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I heard the interview with K on Dan Patrick this morning. It was pretty clear to me that when he said he had been close to taking the Laker job, that they had talked money, etc., that was the negotiations which had occurred several years ago -- the one we all knew about -- and not last year. I didn't even catch him saying "last year" but if he did, I'm almost positive it had to be a misstatement or slip of the tongue. The conversation was pretty clearly dealing with the more distant past. After all, the Laker job was not even open last year.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I didn't hear the interview. But reading the wral newsblurb, I was about to post and ask if it was clear that K was talking about last summer or the summer of 2004 when we know he DID come very close to taking the Laker job.

It didn't make sense -- the job never opened up last summer. How could K have come very close to taking the job ... even to the point of talking money?

Plus, last summer when asked about the rumors, he quickly shot them down -- not only pointing out that there wasn't an opening, but vowing that Duke would be his last coaching job. I know the Duke haters would like to believe that K is as big a liar as Saban or Roy "I don't give a $%#@ about North Carolina" Williams, but I don't think so.

It all makes sense if K and Patrick were talking about the situation in 2004. As I said, I didn't hear the interview. Tommy, your post seems to confirm this interpretation. Just wondered if anybody else heard the interview and whether they heard it this way.

BTW, While I didn't listen to it, I talked to a guy who did just before Coach K's presser today. I asked him if there were any revelations or surprises and he said, no, it was all stuff we've heard before. This guy is intimately connected to the program and if K had indeed said he was close to taking the Laker job last summer, he would have recognized what a bombshell that was.

Until somebody tells me differently, I'm going to believe the K and Patrick were talking about the 2004 situation.