PDA

View Full Version : Well if there was any doubt... (Nolan announces plan to return)

DUKIECB
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
it looks like Nolan will be in a Duke uni next year.

Link (http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/05/371962/dukes-smith-to-return-as-senior.html)

CDu
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
it looks like Nolan will be in a Duke uni next year.

Link (http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/05/371962/dukes-smith-to-return-as-senior.html)

Well, I'm sure he's coming back, but it's important to note that this quote doesn't necessarily mean that much. It wouldn't be the first time that a player said one thing and then changed his mind a few months later. Sean May said he was coming back after the 2005 championship, and then changed his tune the next month.

It's nice to hear that he currently plans to return. I don't think he was a huge threat to go (undersized SG don't normally get drafted that highly), but it is nice to hear that his thoughts/plans align with our hopes.

superdave
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, I'm sure he's coming back, but it's important to note that this quote doesn't necessarily mean that much. It wouldn't be the first time that a player said one thing and then changed his mind a few months later. Sean May said he was coming back after the 2005 championship, and then changed his tune the next month.

It's nice to hear that he currently plans to return. I don't think he was a huge threat to go (undersized SG don't normally get drafted that highly), but it is nice to hear that his thoughts/plans align with our hopes.

Disagree. Nolan will wind up being the best pro out of the Big 3. He's a perfect change of pace guard off the bench - the kind who drops in for 2-3 minute stretches and wreaks havoc. He can play both guard spots, is a one man fast break and a really good defender.

But he could use a season of being first or second scoring option and he needs to work on getting his shot off the dribble more.

weezie
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Sean May said he was coming back after the 2005 championship, and then changed his tune the next month.

Also, consider how many times Sean May said, "I did not eat the entire chocolate cake and everything else in the fridge all by myself," and the evidence now obviously does not support that statement.

More importantly, though, is this the first time we've seen print verification that Kyle is definitely testing the waters?

Turtleboy
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
More importantly, though, is this the first time we've seen print verification that Kyle is definitely testing the waters?I sure didn't get that from the article. I got that he was going to postpone a decision about testing the waters until after the season.

CrazieDUMB
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I sure didn't get that from the article. I got that he was going to postpone a decision about testing the waters until after the season.

Just speculating, but what I think what it means is if he has a great tournament, his stock will rise and he might leave. Let's hope he really perfroms poorly.

Wait a minute... I mean... uhh...

miramar
03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Also, consider how many times Sean May said, "I did not eat the entire chocolate cake and everything else in the fridge all by myself," and the evidence now obviously does not support that statement.

More importantly, though, is this the first time we've seen print verification that Kyle is definitely testing the waters?

1) IIRC, May did have chocolate frosting all over his mouth when he said it.

2) Coach K confirmed recently that Kyle would at least be testing the waters, although he didn't speculate one way or another:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/02/22/352372/krzyzewski-wont-speculate-on-singler.html

Bluedog
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't see anything wrong with testing the waters as a junior. Why wouldn't you do it? Free constructive criticism from NBA execs on what you need to work on. I don't see how that could hurt...Even if Nolan decided to do that, I don't see the harm in it and it doesn't indicate anything really. Although this year they need to decide much earlier, so perhaps there isn't as much to benefit from "testing the waters" as in years past.

weezie
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I sure didn't get that from the article. I got that he was going to postpone a decision about testing the waters until after the season.

No, you're right, but it's an acknowledgment that the subject is under discussion.

And I did not say anything was wrong with that.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Just speculating, but what I think what it means is if he has a great tournament, his stock will rise and he might leave. Let's hope he really perfroms poorly.

Wait a minute... I mean... uhh...

Wow, really? People, Nolan is not going anywhere. I agree with one of the earlier posters that Nolan would be a nice change of pace guard off the bench for someone, but really, until he gains more experience playing PG and displays the maturity and smarts to play the position, he won't be a 1st round prospect, IMO. He still shows inconsistency with his shot, bad decision making, and inability to operate an offense so that turns some scouts off. Not knocking on the kid, just looking at it from a scouts point of view.

Anyways, do you really think Nolan would leave and forgo the opportunity to play with Kyrie? Seriously, from what I know, they are tight and Nolan was a driving force in getting him in. They'll form the best backcourt by far in the ACC for a year, no question.

Turtleboy
03-05-2010, 06:16 PM
No, you're right, but it's an acknowledgment that the subject is under discussion.

And I did not say anything was wrong with that.I don't think anything is wrong with it either. It would surprise me very much if he didn't test the waters. He's a junior so it's a freebie.

pfrduke
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with it either. It would surprise me very much if he didn't test the waters. He's a junior so it's a freebie.

Yeah, given that it's a freebie, I actually think it would be a mistake for him not to test the waters. He'll get the best assessment of where he stands relative to other potential draftees and what he can improve most when/if he returns to school.

RoyalBlue08
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Personally I hope Nolan does decide to "test the waters". It seems going through the process can often really drive a player to improve in the areas they need to work on for the next level. It seems fairly certain that Nolan wouldn't be a first round pick this year, and so I can't see any reason he would leave, but if he can turn the process into a positive and come back and have a great senior season then it will be a win for Nolan and a win for Duke.

RoyalBlue08
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Disagree. Nolan will wind up being the best pro out of the Big 3. He's a perfect change of pace guard off the bench - the kind who drops in for 2-3 minute stretches and wreaks havoc. He can play both guard spots, is a one man fast break and a really good defender.

But he could use a season of being first or second scoring option and he needs to work on getting his shot off the dribble more.

I'm inferring from this that if you think that a backup guard is going to be as high as the Big 3 gets in the pros, you don't have a very high opinion of Kyle's potential in the pros. If so, I have to disagree. I think Kyle has a very good chance to be a starting 3 in the NBA. He gives good rebounding, defense, and jump shooting at the position. I think he is going to surprise you.

DevilHorns
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm inferring from this that if you think that a backup guard is going to be as high as the Big 3 gets in the pros, you don't have a very high opinion of Kyle's potential in the pros. If so, I have to disagree. I think Kyle has a very good chance to be a starting 3 in the NBA. He gives good rebounding, defense, and jump shooting at the position. I think he is going to surprise you.

And to everyone's surprise, kyle can run down the breakaway and get up high to block!

I think its happened 2-3 times recently.

-bdbd
03-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Personally I hope Nolan does decide to "test the waters". It seems going through the process can often really drive a player to improve in the areas they need to work on for the next level. It seems fairly certain that Nolan wouldn't be a first round pick this year, and so I can't see any reason he would leave, but if he can turn the process into a positive and come back and have a great senior season then it will be a win for Nolan and a win for Duke.

Just remember the K quote from a couple days ago saying that Nolan is going to make an even bigger leap forward next year at Duke, compared with this year, as very possibly the top scoring threat, etc. If true, that expectation would argue well for him to stay even improve his stock more.

This is really great news, as I can't wait to see him playing in '10-11 with KI at the Point. Should be really fun. But I am VERY anxious to see what comes of Kyle, as we will be painfully thin up front next year w/o him. Fingers crossed that we see him in Royal Blue again next year!!

gumbomoop
03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I am VERY anxious to see what comes of Kyle, as we will be painfully thin up front next year w/o him. Fingers crossed that we see him in Royal Blue again next year!!

Compared to this year, not as much depth up front, true. And I do not discount the experience lost with the departure of LT and Z.

Still, it seems reasonable to assume that both MPs will have themselves gained experience, and will benefit from knowledge that it's up to them to each play major mpg. I like Kelly's future as an inside/outside player, starting next year, with a bit of added weight. He's got smarts, passing, good shot, decent rebounder, needs only confidence. Although it's a no-brainer to hope KS returns, his departure would perhaps "free" Kelly to develop the way G's departure allowed NS to blossom so wonderfully this season.

I am realistically optimistic to think that the MPs will be a bit less foul-prone, each getting perhaps 25 mpg. Give RK 20, and split the last 10 inside between frosh JH and possibly CF. Even absent CF, seems to me we have real potential inside, rather than "painful thinness" ...... unless RK loses weight.

west_coast_devil
03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm stoked about NS and his senior year. He has shown a lot of growth this year; although at times he has the tendancy to make a great play but fails to finish. I fully believe that next year NS will put up some guady stats on a very successful DUKE team, and have his name in a lot of headlines.I really like the kid's swagger and could not be happier to have a player of his caliber as a four year guy at DUKE......FUNC!!!!:p

DeBlueDevil
03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I just want to be one of the first to say it but also just want to let everyone know my opinion....not that it matters lol. My thoughts have always been that we will win a national championship next year if.....

1. nolan returns
2. kyle returns
3. we lock up an athletic 3 to help out

This news means we have 1 down with nolan returning which is big because next to Kyrie he is going to be MURDER haha....I agree with most the Kyle could definitely be a Pro and realistically the NBA is there and I'm sure he knows that. But he is by no means ready to start and I love the kid and love his intensity but that stuff doesn't matter as much in that league not that I don't value hussle and hard play and think that doesnt make a better basketball player but thats the truth that stuff just doesnt cut it in that league.

The NBA isnt the NCAA. Its a totally different game were players rely mostly on athletic ability and not as much on fundamentals. I'm not saying there aren't fundamental players and the stars don't have fundamentals but I'm saying the coaches and front offices load teams with athletic players. Kyle will definitely get drafted in the first round but if you ask me this year is weak. You look at all some of the 3s in the league right now like Durant,Artest,Kobe, Hill, Pierce, Igoudala, Carter, Lebron, Beasley, Gay,Jackson,Johnson,Ariza,Roy,Richardson and the list goes on and on...and i know some of those are arguably SG but those guys around Kyle's height...where do you see Kyle going and starting in front of one of those guys? Let alone guarding them. Like I said Kyle is a great player and definitely will play in the NBA but that will always be there.

I remember when he first got here he said he was a 4 year player and i know things change but really IMO if you look at it, then it should be a no brainer. Stay next year and play with Coach K, KI, Nolan,Seth, Dawkins,Mason, and the rest for a championship which arguably we'd be the frontrunner for or go to the NBA and sit and play 10 minutes a night if that. But thats my opinion and like I said who really cares....but hopefully he'll stay cause if he does we'll be the best team since 2001 mark my words!

I think Carrick will end up coming but even if he doesn't its not the end of the world. But as I've said on other threads....i love his attitude and think he'd be a great addition to an already deep team.

As for the Plumlees they'll get better with fouls..it just takes some experience.

Neals384
03-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Depends what you mean by definitely...Kyle was quoted 5/8/2009 as saying

"I think I'm growing well enough to where I could possibly leave next year."

but also that he doesn't want to go until he's ready

"I want to be able to step in right away and play because they know I'm ready to help."

I may have read too much into the tea leaves, but I concluded from the article that he would definitely test the waters after the 2010 season and probably be gone. :(

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090508/SPORTS/905080336

Kewlswim
03-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Just remember the K quote from a couple days ago saying that Nolan is going to make an even bigger leap forward next year at Duke, compared with this year, as very possibly the top scoring threat, etc. If true, that expectation would argue well for him to stay even improve his stock more.

This is really great news, as I can't wait to see him playing in '10-11 with KI at the Point. Should be really fun. But I am VERY anxious to see what comes of Kyle, as we will be painfully thin up front next year w/o him. Fingers crossed that we see him in Royal Blue again next year!!

Hi,

I am anxious to see KI, Nolan, and Curry all play next year. However, I am even more anxious to see Duke hopefully (don't want to upset the woof gods) pull out a can of whoop arse on Carolina this evening.

GTHC! GTH!

GO DUKE!

Devilsfan
03-06-2010, 01:41 PM
It's been two years now that we haven't landed an athletic 3. We've got Ryan as a back up but no front line 3 like Kyle, HB, Grant, etc.