PDA

View Full Version : kansas / texas

hurleyfor3
03-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone else watching this game on cbs? Texas is up 54-42 at the half. Kevin Durant has 25, including five threes, and his only miss on a three was in the last minute.

Obligatory Duke reference: Jim Spanarkel is the color man.

CY_devil
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
OK, I am going to go ahead and say it! This is the most dominating performance I have seen from a player (let alone a freshman) in the last 3-4 years!
He had 22 points in 13 minutes against the #1 team in defensive efficiency in the country. He is draining 25 foot jumpers on a 6-9 defender and making it look oh so easy!
He is unbeleivable. :eek:

hurleyfor3
03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Jaychickens now ahead, 64-61, at the 16-minute tv timeout.

The giant chicken at center court disturbs me.

That notwithstanding, I love this time of year. I really can watch basketball all day.

dukelifer
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
A very entertaining game- despite the lack of D. Durant is a smooth player- with a sweet jump shot. He is very thin and likely to wear down in physical games- but he definitely knows his strengths and tends to stay way outside and seems to have unlimited range- imagine JJ at 6' 9". I am not sold on the big 12- if this is an example of how they play D- but it is fun to watch.

hurleyfor3
03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Maybe they can borrow some defense from the big televen. Michigan State and Bucky are 34-34 with nine minutes remaining; and this game is 79-72 with the same amount of time.

Kevin Durant did something to his ankle. ouch.

Ralph-Wiggum
03-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Did one of the announcers just say that Durant was going to come back in for some "Jay bashing"? Sort of an odd choice of words, no?

dukie8
03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
A very entertaining game- despite the lack of D. Durant is a smooth player- with a sweet jump shot. He is very thin and likely to wear down in physical games- but he definitely knows his strengths and tends to stay way outside and seems to have unlimited range- imagine JJ at 6' 9". I am not sold on the big 12- if this is an example of how they play D- but it is fun to watch.

you have to be kidding me that you think he is very thin and likely to wear down in physical games. do you mean the way that a thin ewing or jordan wore down in college games??? this guy is insanely good.

MrTeeny
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Maybe they can borrow some defense from the big televen. Michigan State and Bucky are 34-34 with nine minutes remaining; and this game is 79-72 with the same amount of time.
Do you like that kind of basketball? I mean, flipping back and forth between the two games, I saw several NBA players in one game... fouls, turnovers, bricks, fouls, and more bricks in the other.

And it's not like KU doesn't play defense, being #1 in defensive efficiency in the entire country. Most of Durant's makes were with a couple of guys in his face. This ain't the same "ole-defense" made famous with Roy.

dukelifer
03-03-2007, 04:18 PM
you have to be kidding me that you think he is very thin and likely to wear down in physical games. do you mean the way that a thin ewing or jordan wore down in college games??? this guy is insanely good.

The guy is a great shooter and player- no question. But I wonder how he might play in a very physical game. But as I said he knows his strengths.

FewFAC
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Much as it pains me, I agree with dukie8. I mean that Garnett fellow has had tons of issues with physical games over the course of his career.

hurleyfor3
03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Do you like that kind of basketball? I mean, flipping back and forth between the two games, I saw several NBA players in one game... fouls, turnovers, bricks, fouls, and more bricks in the other.

Hell no! Except the extent I take a preverse joy in the occasional game of bad basketball. As in, watching a game thinking, "it would be cool if neither team got to 40".

Carrie
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I went to this game yesterday, and during the first half and at halftime, there was almost a feeling of fatalism. Durant made full use of his wingspan, shooting at times from the extent of his reach right over the reach of Julian Wright (who is not a small man himself). When he was double-teamed, he was remarkably effective at getting off a pass. And neither he, nor anybody else on the Texas team, seemed capable of missing from beyond the arc. They showed the stats when it was close to halftime, and Texas was shooting 83% on three-pointers. It seemed like there was just nothing KU could do to counter it. Luckily, in the second half, those unreal numbers started to settle down a bit. Durant went down with the twisted ankle several minutes into the second half, but he had only scored two second-half points at that point and KU was already ahead.

According to some people who talked to his dad at the bars the night before, Durant's about 50-50 on whether to go pro this year. The only reason I can think of for him to stay is that he really needs to bulk up a little so he doesn't get manhandled by the NBA players. His game, though, is a thing of beauty. I can't imagine that the college game can improve him much more. Wow.

dukie8
03-04-2007, 10:06 AM
that would be pretty cool if he came back next year. texas really would dominate. if he does, i hope that he takes out a big insurance policy. he looks like a man against boys out there.