PDA

View Full Version : Coach K just addressed the media, hear it for yourself

watzone
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/03/bdn-audio-coach-k-adresses-the-media-talks-unc-maryland-and-more/
Coach K just finished addressing the media and talked of Zoubs, seniors, Maryland, UNC, politics and more. Hear it for yourself in the link above. Scheyer, Zoubs and Smith interviews to come.

noyac
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for posting that link. I always enjoy hearing some of the behind the scenes stuff that you don't always hear.

weezie
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I love how K lets reporters know when he thinks their question is stupid. :cool:

watzone
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I love how K lets reporters know when he thinks their question is stupid. :cool:

Thank your local Chronicle writer for that one.

Here is the Jon Scheyer interview - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/03/nolan-smith-ready-for-the-unc-game/

Zoubs and Smith up as well. The team is practicing in the back drop and it sounds emotional as I finish up in the media room for the day. Lot's going on around Campus.

weezie
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank your local Chronicle writer for that one.

Kinda figured that one out ;). K is nothing if not the consumate chemistry teacher.

Can't wait to get down there tomorrow!

jacone21
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Interestingly enough, however, K spent the most time answering that question.

Thanks for the audio watzone. Good stuff!

SoCalDukeFan
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Obviously Coach K knows more about his team than anyone else and way way more about basketball than anyone here.

However I think he is wrong on the whole issue of players getting tired. The point is not that these are 20 year olds who want to play all of the time, it is that they are going up against 20 year olds who are more rested.

While sometimes you see players out of gas, almost always players want to play. Every minute. They deny that they are tired. Have you ever heard a great player saying he missed a key shot at the end of a game because he was tired? So asking Jon if he was tired or wants less minutes is in my opinion not the right approach.

A better question might have been:
Williams and Vasquez played 34 minutes for Maryland, the most on the team. Singler played all 40 for Duke, Smith and Scheyer 38 each. With 5 minutes left the score was 63 all. Duke got outscored 16-9 in the last 5 minutes. Do you think that fatigue had nothing to do with that?

I think if Kyle, Jon and Nolan were on my team I would want them to play every minute they could. I understand that. However I think Williams rested Vasquez and it helped Maryland win.

SoCal

pfrduke
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Obviously Coach K knows more about his team than anyone else and way way more about basketball than anyone here.

However I think he is wrong on the whole issue of players getting tired. The point is not that these are 20 year olds who want to play all of the time, it is that they are going up against 20 year olds who are more rested.

While sometimes you see players out of gas, almost always players want to play. Every minute. They deny that they are tired. Have you ever heard a great player saying he missed a key shot at the end of a game because he was tired? So asking Jon if he was tired or wants less minutes is in my opinion not the right approach.

Williams and Vasquez played 34 minutes for Maryland, the most on the team. Singler played all 40 for Duke, Smith and Scheyer 38 each. With 5 minutes left the score was 63 all. Duke got outscored 16-9 in the last 5 minutes. Do you think that fatigue had nothing to do with that?

I think if Kyle, Jon and Nolan were on my team I would want them to play every minute they could. I understand that. However I think Williams rested Vasquez and it helped Maryland win.

SoCal

A) From a purely gut, visual reaction, none of our guys looked like they either had tired legs or were sucking for air.

B) It's not fair to look only at the last 5 and ignore the first 35. If Kyle, Jon, and Nolan had each been on the bench for 6 minutes in the first 35 (which, by the way, means that we would have played over half the game to that point with at least one of them on the bench), it's very likely the score would not have been 63-63.

SoCalDukeFan
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
A) From a purely gut, visual reaction, none of our guys looked like they either had tired legs or were sucking for air.

B) It's not fair to look only at the last 5 and ignore the first 35. If Kyle, Jon, and Nolan had each been on the bench for 6 minutes in the first 35 (which, by the way, means that we would have played over half the game to that point with at least one of them on the bench), it's very likely the score would not have been 63-63.

I don't disagree about either point. I do think it may hard to tell about A sometimes. Sometimes it is very obvious.

I also don't disagree with B. However I will say that Maryland was able to rest Vasquez and stay in the game. If the reason that K plays the Big 3 38+ minutes a game is because he has to, then maybe he should say that and not that they are 20 years old and don't want to come out of the game.

We also got outscored by 7, 12 - 5, in the first 5 minutes of the game. Maybe we just chalk it up to a streak at that point in the game.

SoCal

hughgs
03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
If the reason that K plays the Big 3 38+ minutes a game is because he has to, then maybe he should say that and not that they are 20 years old and don't want to come out of the game.

In fact, Coach K did say that you play who you have and practice with who you can (or words to that effect). I took that to mean that he thinks that his best chance of winning requires the playing distribution that he dictates and he compensates possible excess minutes in practice.

mo.st.dukie
03-05-2010, 09:44 PM

SoCal

Yes, fatigue had nothing to do with it. You fail to mention the fact that it went back and forth for 3 minutes and was tied 69-69 with 1:45 left when Williams got the offensive put-back. Jon made a game tying layup at 2:09. He missed a go-ahead 3 at 1:25. So are you saying that in that 44 second stretch Jon completely lost his legs? IMO, a better discussion/argument is the decision by Jon and Nolan (and to a lesser degree Coach K) to shoot 3's when down only two after both had made great drives to the hoop only a minute or two earlier. At that point in the game it is so crucial to get a good, easy look. We got two chances on that one possession to tie or go ahead but couldn't convert the 3 point shots. That and the missed defensive board by Zoubek were all FAR more important to the outcome of the game than the number of minutes played by Duke and Maryland players.

Bottom line is they made shots (two of which were circus shots by Vasquez) and we didn't just like how in the beginning of the game they made shots and we didn't, were we tired then?

greybeard
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I disagree with those who say fatigue was not an issue.

Singler looked tired and confused when trapped with no dribble on the left block and threw a semi lob across the middle to Zoubek who had nothing he could do with the ball but hope to find someone to give it to. Singler hasn't passed the ball to Zoubek all year (hyperbole, here) and he throws that THING to a 7'1" who almost never gets a pass inside? That is fatigue sports fans.

Scheyer looked tired and confused when he got trapped on the right baseline with no dribble at the end. Granted it was for practical purposes over but Scheyer seemed cooked.

And there were two plays down the stretch when Scheyer and first Smith didn't use the inside screen and drove straight to the basket but had nothing left when they got there and were met by bigs.

And Smith at least three times going left in the second half penetrated the defense and went up for a shot with a guy closing from behind and the outside and was forced to alter his shot that he missed.

These are but a few. They reflect fatigue and more importantly the cost of playing three-on-five in March.

In some years it might not have been, but this year I believe that playing 3 on 5 on offense was a choice and a bad one. I think that Zoubek could have been good for 10 a game at the rim off the catch, and the Plumlees, at least one of them on any given night, at least the same.

The minutes played and the three-on-five offense are of one piece. Kyle and Jon and Smith should have had a big to pass it to right in front of the rim on those plays. That they didn't and got themselves into untenable positions was do to poor judgments that were the product of too many minutes and not enough options.

Some obviously would say that creating a Big Three and utilizing Duke's four bigs as pawns was what got Duke this far, that they couldn't have gotten this far with a full share given to the bigs on offense. I'm not one of them. Never have been.

airowe
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/MA_Route_1A.svg/600px-MA_Route_1A.svg.png

allenmurray
03-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Just a wild thought, but I wonder if the coaching staff evaluates players' conditioning based on how they do in practice (which can be longer and more intense than games)? It might be a great way to make decisons about how many minutes each player is capable of playing while remaining at their best. :rolleyes:

greybeard
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Just a wild thought, but I wonder if the coaching staff evaluates players' conditioning based on how they do in practice (which can be longer and more intense than games)? It might be a great way to make decisons about how many minutes each player is capable of playing while remaining at their best. :rolleyes:

Depends on whom you're playing against, no? I mean, beyond the Big Three, who are they competing against. On the other hand, the bigs all I would think get as much as they will see playing against one another.

The real issue is what happens when someone like Gary decides, let me press them with a variety of presses to make the Big Three work hard to catch the ball just to bring it up, and then have to sprint to get into position to run the offense, which also involves running. Then have your offense sprint out off long rebounds or clear rebounds, whether they take it all the way or not.

All of a sudden practice and games are not the same, right? Maybe you used the wrong meaure or your strategy was trumped.

The half court offense has the Big Three sprinting all over the court, and has Z sprinting around in very short bursts to set screen after screen and then attack the glass.

I think Gary came up with a strategy that caused tired legs and that that helped provide the needed edge. I think that Gary's team was much deeper with littles than Maryland and that his bigs could rest mentally and physically by not having to worry about drop offs to bigs for easy scores.

I don't think that Duke's practices could create that type environment. Practice? We're talkin Practice. Not a game. Practice. ;)