Duke 1-1
Maryland 1-3
Conference Home games vs teams with losing conference records
Duke 2-0
Maryland 4-0
Conference Away games vs teams with losing conference records
Duke 4-2
Maryland 3-0

Two losses in away games against NC State and GA Tech. That's why we're (probably) going to share the reg season title. I wouldn't blame the unbalanced schedule here.

riverside6
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
For those interested, we ran a piece on the unbalanced schedule (http://scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=3341) on my site today.

Basically, it breaks down the strength of each team's conference schedule and determines whose had it easy (and vice versa).

Duvall
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Two losses in away games against NC State and GA Tech. That's why we're (probably) going to share the reg season title. I wouldn't blame the unbalanced schedule here.

I won't speculate as what who's blaming what, but just_wondering is a Maryland fan.

just_wondering
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
There has always been factors like injuries to build into the evaluation of a team's conference record but with expansion it becomes almost impossible to make apples to apples comparisons. Conference games are still the best but they aren't the measuring stick they once were.

I won't speculate as what who's blaming what, but just_wondering is a Maryland fan.

CDu
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Conference Home games vs teams with winning conference records
Duke 5-0
Maryland 4-0
Conference Away games vs teams with winning conference records
Duke 1-1
Maryland 1-3
Conference Home games vs teams with losing conference records
Duke 2-0
Maryland 4-0
Conference Away games vs teams with losing conference records
Duke 4-2
Maryland 3-0

The unbalanced-ness of the schedule makes even this comparison tenuous. Is GT really representative of a losing-record (i.e., below-average) ACC team, or did they have a tougher schedule? Is VT really an above-average (winning record) team, or did they have an easier schedule?

Unfortunately, unbalanced schedules are a way of life. If we had balanced schedules, we'd have even fewer non-conference games (and people are already clamoring for more non-conference games). Of course, since Maryland seems to struggle to get geared up to play non-conference games, maybe that would be a good thing for them.

Scorp4me
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
The formula's are out there to determine the strength of schedule and there are many on the board that excel (no pun intended) in crunching the numbers. I agree that with the unbalanced schedule the regular season title is not what it used to be (I used to be torn between winning the regular season title which I felt was more fair and winning the tournament which was the Official ACC champion) , but it may mean more if the strength of schedule were factored in.

So anybody wanna figure out the strength of schedule using only the ACC records?

davekay1971
03-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I blame us dropping a game at State.

Do we need to think a whole lot deeper?