PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes Duke!

Lord Ash
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Along with Jon, Lance, and Brian, tomorrow night is Dr. Chandlers last game.

His class and dignity will be sorely, sorely missed. You all who are there, enjoy getting to hear that one last time.

Here comes Duke!

airowe
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Dr. Chandler will be often imitated, but never duplicated.

I will be accompanying a friend who is interviewing Dr. Chandler at his home tomorrow afternoon for one of the local TV stations. If you have any questions you'd like answered, pm me.

airowe
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/05/371178/duke-announcer-signs-off.html#storylink=addthis

Devil07
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Dr. Chandler will truly be missed. I just hope that whoever replaces him understands and maintains his tone. One of the things that I've always loved about Cameron is that the announcer isn't also a cheerleader (unlike every NBA game and frankly far too many college games today). Dr. Chandler has always let the game stand for itself and that's part of what makes Cameron so special in my opinion. The Buffer intros may please the players but I sincerely hope that that type of announcing isn't the direction the entire gameday experience is headed. Going to Cameron without Dr. Chandler will be odd, but hearing some announcer screaming for free throws (think Miami's guy if anyone remembers hearing that) would just be sad.

merry
03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Dr. Chandler will truly be missed. I just hope that whoever replaces him understands and maintains his tone. One of the things that I've always loved about Cameron is that the announcer isn't also a cheerleader (unlike every NBA game and frankly far too many college games today). Dr. Chandler has always let the game stand for itself and that's part of what makes Cameron so special in my opinion. The Buffer intros may please the players but I sincerely hope that that type of announcing isn't the direction the entire gameday experience is headed. Going to Cameron without Dr. Chandler will be odd, but hearing some announcer screaming for free throws (think Miami's guy if anyone remembers hearing that) would just be sad.

Total agreement here. I always think of Dr. Chandler's style as Duke's style (no surprise, since he was the announcer even in my undergrad days in the 1970s). It always annoys me to hear announcers at other stadiums (and even our own sometimes during women's games) screaming as if they are at the circus - "Thompson...FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" etc.

I'm sorry I missed it when they honored Dr. Chandler at halftime of the last game - I wish I'd known in advance they were going to do that. Having tomorrow be his final one will make the game even more special. We're going to miss him.

DukeCO2009
03-05-2010, 11:30 AM
If you're going to the game, try to record the final "here comes Duke" as the Devils come out for the second half. I'm not going to be able to get in tomorrow, unfortunately, and I know a lot of others in my shoes would love it if someone posted it on DBR. Gives me chills just thinking about it. The man is an institution. IMO the plaque behind the scorer's table isn't enough; he deserves a banner.

callaway
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Savor every moment of Dr. Chandler's work Saturday night. It might be the last time you will hear that professional style in Cameron. Dr. Chandler stated in an N&O story this morning that "they asked if I could be more dramatic and we all agreed it was time I retired." Get ready to rumble as the Blue Devils follow the trend to "cheerleading PA announcers" as they did in Wallace Wade this past season. As one of the old guys, I really hate to see this happen!

hurleyfor3
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I will be accompanying a friend who is interviewing Dr. Chandler at his home tomorrow afternoon for one of the local TV stations. If you have any questions you'd like answered, pm me.

Forget PMing, I'll post my question. What were his favorite names to say? Was he particularly fond of any phrases? My personal favorite was his treatment of Chris-tiannnnn Laett-nrrrrrr frommm Bob-byyyyy Hurrr-leyyyyy. :)

DevilWearsPrada
12-27-2011, 10:35 AM
RIP Dr. Chandler!

No one said "Here Comes Duke" like Doc.

Duke has lost 2 icons this year, with Bill Brill and Dr Chandler. Alot of history and games between these 2 very honorable men and they will each be sorely missed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
RIP Dr. Chandler!

No one said "Here Comes Duke" like Doc.

Duke has lost 2 icons this year, with Bill Brill and Dr Chandler. Alot of history and games between these 2 very honorable men and they will each be sorely missed.
Add Anita Caldwell, wife of Coach Hershel Caldwell, to that list of icons now absent from us.

msdukie
12-27-2011, 01:05 PM
From last year:

http://dukechronicle.com/article/voice-cameron