PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in Kansas City

JEA
03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Duke to Play in O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic Next Season (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204900994)

K-State, Gonzaga, Marquette - those seem like three pretty good teams.

Apologies if this was already mentioned somewhere (did a search but didn't see it) but thought I'd flag it since the article indicates that tickets for the championship round goes on sale tomorrow, 3/5.

Cameron
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
We're in this thing with Marquette AGAIN? We were in the CBE with them in '06 (met them in a loss in the finals) and in Maui in '08.

I'm honestly sick of seeing them in our preseason tournaments. We've also played Gonzaga a lot recently. I know we don't have control over the teams invited to these early season events, but I'd like to be in the same event as a Kentucky or Kansas.

Kyle, would it be a good idea for me to purchase tix? :)

G man
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I live in Lincoln Ne and I am stoked. I do not exactly get out to North Carolina often. I am pumped!

BD80
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Kansas City?

What is the cycle for Maui? Must be every 4 years if we were last there in 2008.

Somebody at O'Reilly Auto Parts must have pictures of Coach K with Ramses.

I thought a holiday tourney was a perq for for the players.

Kansas City?

Puerto Rico, Cancun, Maui, Honolulu. The kids deserve some fun.

Kansas City?

Maybe coming from Spokane or Milwaukee ...

Kansas City?

Must be the BBQ.

duke2x
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
1. With KSU having a good season, this event will sell out quickly.

2. Duke can go to the same tournament once every 4 years. With 2007-2008 the last trip to Maui, we are eligible to return in 2011-2012.

3. The biggest draw of the KC tournament is two extra home games. I think you will see Duke rotate through the 3 tournaments that give extra home games as much as possible over 3 day neutral site tournaments not held in Maui.

hurleyfor3
03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Not just Marquette, but Gonzo too. Would be the third time in five years, right?

There's a guy at work who went to Marquette. He gets really excited when he talks about the one Final Four they've made in the last 33 years. He shuts up when I ask him what the score was at halftime was of their semifinal against Kansas...

duke4life32182
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey, at least they are playing basketball. I would like to see us in some tournaments with Kentucky, Kansas and some of those teams.

crimsonandblue
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Not just Marquette, but Gonzo too. Would be the third time in five years, right?

There's a guy at work who went to Marquette. He gets really excited when he talks about the one Final Four they've made in the last 33 years. He shuts up when I ask him what the score was at halftime was of their semifinal against Kansas...

I watched that game the other night. I somehow lost my copy of the subsequent game. Unfortunately, both, along with sweet sixteen games on for 2000-2009 are all now available online: http://vault.ncaa.com/.

Beware. Potential time suck.

KState would be an interesting matchup next year. They lose Clemente and Colon (only the former being any real loss). They may come to rely too much on Pullen. It'll be interesting to see if he can handle everything they're going to force on him absent Denis Clemente; ball handling, scoring, creating, defensive stopper. He's very good, but hasn't really been the show yet. They're long and athletic, if not very offensively skilled, across the frontline with Sutton, Samuels, Kelly and Judge.

There are worse places than KC for turkey day. Plaza lights come on and weather's generally chilly but decent. And Power and Light district where the Sprint Center sits, is a great place to host a tournament. Fun restaurants and bars.

obsesseddukefan
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Just got my tix for Monday and Tuesday. Sec 101 Row B for Monday and C for Tuesday. I only got the 40.00 tix because I have deep rooted psycological issues with Ticketma$ter, and refuse to give them any cash I dont have to. I paid 25.00 in service charges alone per day.....drag. I do hope to meet many of you over those two days for some drinks and eats. :D

gumbomoop
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
The biggest draw of the KC tournament is two extra home games. I think you will see Duke rotate through the 3 tournaments that give extra home games as much as possible over 3 day neutral site tournaments not held in Maui.

This makes sense [both duke2x and the scheduling thinking].

For posters who'd prefer different opponents, I guess I, too, would prefer some new opponents, maybe midwest draws [?] such as Ohio State and, oh, Memphis. Still, Gonzaga will be strong next season, and Marquette has impressed with their ability to maintain near-excellence despite graduating stars and losing coach. It's a very good group of 4 for KC at TG. One would think the CBE people will put Duke and K St in opposite brackets, so they'd have a big crowd for expected final.