PDA

View Full Version : suggestion on Refs

moonpie23
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
what do you think about having the NCAA rotate ALL refs to a different conference every two years? (maybe east and west for travel considerations)

i think refs are human and develop a knowldege/like/dislike/lean towards players (AND COACHES) in the conference over time...

stay with me for a sec.......imagaine....KARL HESS - GONE to ref the big east and then somewere else after that.... (using karl as an exam only beacuse he's the perfect target)

loldevilz
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
not happening

calltheobvious
03-04-2010, 01:59 PM
You do realize that all of the guys you see on ESPN works lots of conferences, right? Even if I accepted your premise, your proposal is simply not workable due to the logistics involved.

superdave
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I remember reading about Hewitt getting ejected from a game several years ago after an ACC ref stepped right over top of his fallen player to call a foul. Hewitt said it was to dramatize the call and make the ref look good. He objected and I believe had his AD back him up in going after the ref with the league.

Anyone remember the story? Or the ref?

hurleyfor3
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Refs are generally either hired by their respective conference or act as free agents. Like NFL refs, they have day jobs, but many of them also don't want to travel too far from home or move around much. So I'm not sure an NCAA-wide ref pool would work.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
I remember reading about Hewitt getting ejected from a game several years ago after an ACC ref stepped right over top of his fallen player to call a foul. Hewitt said it was to dramatize the call and make the ref look good. He objected and I believe had his AD back him up in going after the ref with the league.

Anyone remember the story? Or the ref?

If you ever saw Dick Paparo run halfway across the court to make a call or overrule another ref you'd know there's no taboo against dramatizing calls.

DukeGirl4ever
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
You do realize that all of the guys you see on ESPN works lots of conferences, right? Even if I accepted your premise, your proposal is simply not workable due to the logistics involved.

I played in the Atlantic 10 (granted, I'm talking women's) about 10 years ago and I still see some of these refs while watching games today....
And I see them reffing in different conferences, so they do get around.

For some of them, this is their full time job.

MulletMan
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Point of Order: Conferences do not employ teams of refs anymore. Refs are independent contractors who work through an agent to be scheduled within their desired geographic locale. That's why it seems like refs work for one conference (because those schools are often grouped geographically), but in reality most refs work multiple conferences throughout the season.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Point of Order: Conferences do not employ teams of refs anymore. Refs are independent contractors who work through an agent to be scheduled within their desired geographic locale. That's why it seems like refs work for one conference (because those schools are often grouped geographically), but in reality most refs work multiple conferences throughout the season.

Yeah, they're 1099, not W-2.

I claim my statement that refs are "hired by their respective conference" is still correct, just not as employees.

LetItBD08
03-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Maps of the geographic distribution of individual ref's gigs this season:

http://www.bbstate.com/officials

Delaware
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Random, not very important fact...

You can find Scott Smith, Dean's son, on this list... he refs the southeast in mostly mid major conferneces. I got to meet him when he bought a house we were selling outside of Chapel Hill... he is not really able to ref ACC games due to "appearances".

weezie
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I think moonie has an excellent idea.
Share the love with every other conference.

superdave
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Random, not very important fact...

You can find Scott Smith, Dean's son, on this list... he refs the southeast in mostly mid major conferneces. I got to meet him when he bought a house we were selling outside of Chapel Hill... he is not really able to ref ACC games due to "appearances".

<trying to force myself to not say all the mean things in my head>

Whew.

SharkD
03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

I think we broke their site.

A-Tex Devil
03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Jim Calhoun recently posited that refs are over worked. (I am sure that you can find the article on ESPN somewhere). Some of these guys work more than 90 games a year. That seems like an awful low. I am not sure whether they are overworked or not. But guys like Teddy Valentine work a TON of games. I believe Hartzell used to work multiple conferences AND was an athletic director of a lower division school.

SharkD
03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Jim Calhoun recently posited that refs are over worked. (I am sure that you can find the article on ESPN somewhere). Some of these guys work more than 90 games a year. That seems like an awful low. I am not sure whether they are overworked or not. But guys like Teddy Valentine work a TON of games. I believe Hartzell used to work multiple conferences AND was an athletic director of a lower division school.

Using the coral cache ( http://www.bbstate.com.nyud.net/officials.php?a=games ):

Top 10 by Number of Games Called as of today:

Mike Eades [95]
David Hall [93]
Michael Kitts [86]
Tom O'Neill [86]
Rick Hartzell [84]
Bryan Kersey [82]
Jamie Luckie [81]
Ed Corbett [80]
Ted Valentine [80]
Mark Whitehead [80]

-jk
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Using the coral cache ( http://www.bbstate.com.nyud.net/officials.php?a=games ):

Top 10 by Number of Games Called as of today:

Mike Eades [95]
David Hall [93]
Michael Kitts [86]
Tom O'Neill [86]
Rick Hartzell [84]
Bryan Kersey [82]
Jamie Luckie [81]
Ed Corbett [80]
Ted Valentine [80]
Mark Whitehead [80]

You missed number 11