PDA

View Full Version : 27 Maryland Fans Arrested After Duke Game; Riot On Campus

Franzez
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/04/sportsline/main6266649.shtml

I was there to witness this last night.

Maryland has the worst group of fans I have ever seen in terms of college basketball, considering 95% of these kids come from highly privilaged backgrounds despite Maryland being one of the poorest states in terms of their most populated areas, although the stats are skewed due to the Millionaires/Billionaires that live on the borderline of DC.

If any of my fellow Duke fans were present at the game I apologize for the actions of these idiots who make our state look bad. These are the people, along with Ravens fans who make it a habit to be hooligans at sporting events to scare away tourism, then claim that they dont want to return to Maryland due to the high crime rate.:rolleyes:

I watched a couple and their children get a beer bottle thrown at them while walking to their car, luckily it missed but the guy flung it far enough to possibly harm a couple and their 2 kids who could've been anywhere from 6 to 10 based on their height.

Disgusting group of people with their chants ranging from some small chants about Nolan Smith's dad, to an expletive chant about Scheyer, and another small range chant that you yearly here with Maryland fans calling Coach K, Adolf Hitler.

You would think that the kids of wealthy/classy parents in the suburbs would know better. Even the street thugs/gang members in PG County could realize the stuff these punks are doing was pointless.

Franzez
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I would like to warn any Duke fan who plans to attend another game at Comcast Center to not wear your Duke colors.

Although it is a sense of pride for the team and the university, at this point in their "rivalry" with Duke these fans are resorting to a gang-like mentality at games to people wearing blue.

Its simply ridiculous coming from my low income/inner city background to watch a bunch of scrawny rich kids with no ounce of fight in them try to intimidate adults and their families for being Duke fans. I have too much to risk for fighting with some stupid 19 year old with enough liquid courage to throw a punch at me.

CameronDuke
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_QGGjLsgm8

More footage of the riot. Clearly audible at the beginning of the video are "F**K Duke" chants.

Wow. Stay classy Maryland.

Also, at the 4:11 mark, their fans dismantled a street sign and ran around with it. Around this time, a guy climbs a stoplight as well.

DukeGirl4ever
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I would like to warn any Duke fan who plans to attend another game at Comcast Center to not wear your Duke colors.

I went to a game there when JJ & Shel were seniors and was advised not to wear my Duke gear. I'm glad I didn't wear anything Blue.

I got tickets through a friend in the "coaches" section (where other coaches at the University have seats). I was appalled to hear peopled in the coaches section calling Shel a "mental retard" the whole game.

I think it starts with Sweaty Gary, and this guy thinks the behavior is acceptable!

PumpkinFunk
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Is anyone really shocked? Because you shouldn't be. Maryland fans are disgusting, and my hatred of them as a child of the DC area goes deeper than my feeling of rivalry with Carolina. It's a total disgust for me. My friend who is a manager for the team apparently had some bad stuff done to him, and security threw fans out after all of these things occured. I imagine our team barely got out of the arena protected from the students rushing the court, and that people tried to attack the team bus as they left. That's what Maryland fans do.

I feared for my life to some small extent when I was at the Comcast Center for the first two rounds of the Women's NCAA Tournament, 2 years ago, and the band got verbally abused by the fans there. The team... it was also pretty bad to them. And we never played them while we were there.

I guess I'm just surprised that this is still making news. Back in the early 2000s, even the Washington Post stopped making a big deal out of it. Now, it's on national news again. It's not surprising that this happens anymore. It's just a fact of their fanbase. Gary hates some of the behavior, but he doesn't get the respect from his own fans for them to cut it out.

CameronDuke
03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Is anyone really shocked? Because you shouldn't be. Maryland fans are disgusting, and my hatred of them as a child of the DC area goes deeper than my feeling of rivalry with Carolina. It's a total disgust for me. My friend who is a manager for the team apparently had some bad stuff done to him, and security threw fans out after all of these things occured. I imagine our team barely got out of the arena protected from the students rushing the court, and that people tried to attack the team bus as they left. That's what Maryland fans do.

I feared for my life to some small extent when I was at the Comcast Center for the first two rounds of the Women's NCAA Tournament, 2 years ago, and the band got verbally abused by the fans there. The team... it was also pretty bad to them. And we never played them while we were there.

I guess I'm just surprised that this is still making news. Back in the early 2000s, even the Washington Post stopped making a big deal out of it. Now, it's on national news again. It's not surprising that this happens anymore. It's just a fact of their fanbase. Gary hates some of the behavior, but he doesn't get the respect from his own fans for them to cut it out.

This type of behavior actually does not shock me coming from Maryland fans, because that is what their fan base prides themselves on. Their outlandish, criminal, dispicable actions are what define them. It's sad, though, that this does not surprise me. Most other institutions of higher learning would be astonished at such violations of the law. They are the worst of the worst in fan behavior, no doubt.

PumpkinFunk
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
This type of behavior actually does not shock me coming from Maryland fans, because that is what their fan base prides themselves on. Their outlandish, criminal, dispicable actions are what define them. It's sad, though, that this does not surprise me. Most other institutions of higher learning would be astonished at such violations of the law. They are the worst of the worst in fan behavior, no doubt.

I would put West Virginia fans up there with them, though I honestly wouldn't fear for my safety with West Virginia fans... they at least have that semblance of respect. If I had been at the game last night wearing Duke stuff, I would have been terrified that someone would have tried to hurt me, because there are occasional incidents like that - they like to throw glass bottles, batteries, and other things at fans. Honestly, though, the worst thing is seeing several Maryland fans on campus today, taking pictures in Maryland shirts in front of the Chapel and being smug and making nasty comments to us... on campus. This isn't College Park or DC, this is Duke University, our home, and while we'll be respectful to them, it's incredibly hard to do so. Disgusting.

ReformedAggie
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
One win in what, seven tries? Oh well, perhaps we can offer them a return to humility in the ACC tourney. I live in Maryland and am proudly going shopping now wearing my Duke colors. Maybe I should also borrow a tazer........

ChicagoCrazy84
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
One win in what, seven tries? Oh well, perhaps we can offer them a return to humility in the ACC tourney. I live in Maryland and am proudly going shopping now wearing my Duke colors. Maybe I should also borrow a tazer........

Good for you. I wouldn't be afraid of a couple retarded maryland students.

That really is disgusting. I did hear F#ck Duke chants, but is it true they were chanting things about Nolan's father? That is plain wrong.

Franzez
03-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Too bad tazors are outlawed for civilians in the state of Maryland.

Its fine now, the passions only heat up during the week leading into the Duke-Maryland game. The most you'll get is a few snide comments from Maryland fans saying you're a "bandwagoner" or "traitor".

Franzez
03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Good for you. I wouldn't be afraid of a couple retarded maryland students.
A couple?

When a bunch of dumb college students are in numbers they resort to stupid acts to show off, that can include violence. Any person trying to throw a glass beer bottle at a family with small kids would have no problem attacking a person if they're alone.

That really is disgusting. I did hear F#ck Duke chants, but is it true they were chanting things about Nolan's father? That is plain wrong.
They found out our players' number at the hotel they were at and bombarded their phone last year.

They call Coach K "Hitler" and you wouldn't think that they will cross the line with Nolan Smith comments about his father? Im not going to repeat what was said, because it was childish and immature and if they said it to Nolan's face he would probably end up suspended.

studdlee10
03-04-2010, 03:53 PM
A couple?

When a bunch of dumb college students are in numbers they resort to stupid acts to show off, that can include violence. Any person trying to throw a glass beer bottle at a family with small kids would have no problem attacking a person if they're alone.

They found out our players' number at the hotel they were at and bombarded their phone last year.

They call Coach K "Hitler" and you wouldn't think that they will cross the line with Nolan Smith comments about his father? Im not going to repeat what was said, because it was childish and immature and if they said it to Nolan's face he would probably end up suspended.

I'm sorry to trash your state and I realize there are plenty of normal fans and people in MD, but Maryland as a whole is a state of punks and rednecks. I have liked in the DMV area for years and even to this day I'll have idiots yelling "F#@$ Duke" at me when I'm sitting at a stop light or filling my car up with gas (I have a Duke sticker on my car). I've been spit at during Baltimore Ravens games when wearing a Duke Sweatshirt, etc. It's just ridiculous the amount of hate people harbor in that state.

miramar
03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm glad to hear they are cleaning up their act.

At least they didn't set fire to any cars and melt their underground phone cables again.

Franzez
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm glad to hear they are cleaning up their act.

At least they didn't set fire to any cars and melt their underground phone cables again.

They've moved on from setting fires to cars, this time they decided to set fire to a tree.:confused:

Franzez
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry to trash your state and I realize there are plenty of normal fans and people in MD, but Maryland as a whole is a state of punks and rednecks. I have liked in the DMV area for years and even to this day I'll have idiots yelling "F#@$ Duke" at me when I'm sitting at a stop light or filling my car up with gas (I have a Duke sticker on my car). I've been spit at during Baltimore Ravens games when wearing a Duke Sweatshirt, etc. It's just ridiculous the amount of hate people harbor in that state.

I take no offense. Maryland is a weird state/place in general, there is such a huge elitist community in Maryland based on the Government's presence obviously. Maryland has the best school system in the country, yet its biggest city has a 50% dropout rate. Maryland overall has the safest suburbs in the entire country, yet PG County and Baltimore are 2 of the most dangerous areas in terms of crime in the state.

The state is a haven for gangs, drugs, etc and the crime rate is high. The state is a melting pot of illegals in the DC suburbs. There are so many rednecks throughout the state who spend time complaining about other races, let dont look at themselves.

Ravens fans are a disgusting bunch. Terps fans are even more disgusting. The ticket prices are so high you would think people who could afford to attend games would have better sense, but they show even less than the people who cant afford to go to the games.

Just to give an example of the weirdness, I live in a suburban luxury apartment complex. The rent monthly is $1600 base, without including the other factors that you pay seperately. In the end I spend nearly $2,300 a month on my apartment. My apartment is 75% Section 8, and several people in my complex have been here since 2001 when they destroyed the high rise public housing buildings and gave them vouchers to move anywhere. We have an extra police presence here patrolling due to a presence of the Hoover Street Gang and MS-13 in the complex area.

Im on my way to Pennsylvania very soon once I am done with my lease.

weezie
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
So far today, after driving into DC and smoldering through the local sports reports, I've heard nothing from Gary Williams in the form of an apology for the language and behavior of the idiot fans. If he had a milligram of class he would have lead the press conference with an apology last night.And if it is true that, as mentioned on another thread here, an ape-like md fan actually spit into the face of one of our players, then that phony Debbie Yow should also be apologizing today.
A shameful exhibition by a third-rate student body and a whiny, nasty, uneducated, little sweaty man.

SilkyJ
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
The fact that this stuff is not surprising does not disqualify it from being news. I guess it's just going to take someone getting killed before something is done about this behavior.

It does surprise me, however, that the administrators/AD/Coach etc. do not say or do more to prevent this type of behavior.

njpduke
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
These are the people, along with Ravens fans who make it a habit to be hooligans at sporting events to scare away tourism, then claim that they dont want to return to Maryland due to the high crime rate.:rolleyes:

Can you explain yourself here?

I'm a Baltimore native and Duke alum, and I'm a die hard fan of both the Baltimore Ravens and Duke basketball.

I agree; the behavior of Maryland basketball fans is pretty deplorable. However, your jab at Ravens fans is baseless.

blazindw
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm a Baltimore native and Duke alum, and I'm a die hard fan of both the Baltimore Ravens and Duke basketball.

I agree; the behavior of Maryland basketball fans is pretty deplorable. However, your jab at Ravens fans is baseless.

As a Lions fan that went to the Lions-Ravens game this past season (in the middle of a freezing rain/hail/sleetstorm with 50mph winds), not only did I find Ravens fans to be quite fun, they actually gave me and my friend such respect for coming just to watch the Lions play in those atrocious conditions. As they said, "no one can ever call you guys fairweather fans. You guys define fandom." Well, that and Detroit fans are the only fans that B-More fans can truly be scared of! :)

Maryland fans are quite the opposite. They don't deserve to be called fans at all. Sure there are some overlap, but Maryland fans are the lowest of the low. Going to the game last year (dressed in all blue because I didn't care...no one dared mess with me) when they celebrated like they won the National Championship when Nolan got knocked out, I don't think I've ever been so angry at a sporting event. In my mind, I went King Kong on the entire arena and university. If I had gone last night, I definitely would've needed the cops to pull me off any kid that tried to start something afterwards.

Channing
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
So far today, after driving into DC and smoldering through the local sports reports, I've heard nothing from Gary Williams in the form of an apology for the language and behavior of the idiot fans. If he had a milligram of class he would have lead the press conference with an apology last night.And if it is true that, as mentioned on another thread here, an ape-like md fan actually spit into the face of one of our players, then that phony Debbie Yow should also be apologizing today.
A shameful exhibition by a third-rate student body and a whiny, nasty, uneducated, little sweaty man.

I must have missed this post - is there a link or anything verifying this? If so, it definitely crosses any line that UMD may have been pushing.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Obviously no future Duke - Maryland games can be held at Maryland's home, or nearby, arena(s). All games must be held in Cameron Indoor Stadium, or perhaps the Duke away games at Madison Square Garden if they must be "home and somewhere else". :cool: Works for me! :D

Rudy
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Maryland has the best school system in the country...

Huh?

Maryland overall has the safest suburbs in the entire country...

Huh?

I like Maryland OK and have many friends who live there, but outside of Montgomery County, which is comparable but not really superior in schools or safety to Fairfax County, Virginia, how can you make such statements? I'd have to see some authoritative stats to come even close to believing them.

If Gary, the AD or the U of Md. president were serious about controlling this behavior, they would collaborate on a program of discouragement plus using films to find and suspend students who engage in the offensive behavior. The speech cannot be controlled, especially by a state university, I understand that, but if it were well known that administrators would follow up and punish assaults or riotous behaviors, it would dwindle in a matter of a couple of years.

mgtr
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
If the facts as reported here are correct, then I really think the conference and/or NCAA should take some sort of action. I suppose that Duke cannot realistically refuse to play there, but maybe we should -- just forfeit the game. I can't think of a better way to call attention to the problem. If a player, manager, coach, or fan get hurts, it just isn't worth it.
There are some smart people around -- they should be able to come up with a better solution.

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
They should follow soccer's lead and make Maryland play in an empty arena, no home fans. You trash the campus, you get no Duke game to go to next year.

Highlander
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
If the facts as reported here are correct, then I really think the conference and/or NCAA should take some sort of action. I suppose that Duke cannot realistically refuse to play there, but maybe we should -- just forfeit the game. I can't think of a better way to call attention to the problem. If a player, manager, coach, or fan get hurts, it just isn't worth it.
There are some smart people around -- they should be able to come up with a better solution.

If we did, Comcast would immediately gain the reputation for a place that Duke was "scared" to play. Not sure I want to give them that.

I'm all for a better solution though.

OldSchool
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM

I would love to see Maryland removed from the conference and South Carolina added in their place. That would bring the intense Clemson-South Carolina rivalry into the conference.

Maryland really has no natural rival in the ACC. A Virginia-Maryland rivalry never really developed and now since Virginia Tech was added we are seeing a rivalry begin to develop between Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to accomplish because the ACC would not want to leave the DC market and there would be intense resistance on the part of certain schools to bringing South Carolina in.

gep
03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
If we did, Comcast would immediately gain the reputation for a place that Duke was "scared" to play. Not sure I want to give them that.

If Duke and/or their fans are in physical danger, I don't have a problem forfeiting, and rightfully be "scared" to play there. If I recall, after the game where Carlos' mother was hit by the water bottle and suffered a mild concussion, Coach K told Mickie that he didn't want her and the family attending any more games at MD. Was Coach K "scared"? I think so...:( Better safe than sorry. However, I also would like a better solution.

sagegrouse
03-04-2010, 11:57 PM
The speech and behavior can be controlled. My apologies to the lawyers on the Board, but it is not necesssary for an AD or Chancellor to run everything by a constitutional lawyer before taking action. You kick the kids out of the arena, or you don't let the ones with obscene T shirts in. Let the kids scrape up the scratch to hire a lawyer and explain their behavior to a judge (and their parents).

The other thing you do is grab the mike (only Gary can do this) and threaten to pull the team off the floor. If it persists, simply agree to play some home games outside of Comcast or even, under special financial arrangements, at the visiting school.

It is utterly clear that absolutely horrid behavior by fans and students inside the arena is condoned by every level of the UMd administration.

sagegrouse

DST Fan
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
The other thing you do is grab the mike (only Gary can do this) and threaten to pull the team off the floor.

sagegrouse

As I read and watch the D.C. media coverage of the past 24 hours, I have been wondering whether Gary, as a Maryland graduate, is embarrassed by the student behavior.

ReformedAggie
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I live in Maryland, in a tiny suburb of homes on acreages. Most of us don't even lock up our doors. We are all professionals, we all know one another. Don't trash the state because of some idiots. I lived in Florida for 20 years, and believe me, there are places in Tampa and St. Pete and elsewhere in the state where I wouldn't go without an armed guard...including the campus of FSU. Having said that, Maryland "fans" are the worst I've ever seen and I think they should be sanctioned, censured, and sent to bed without dinner.

cspan37421
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
... and now since Virginia Tech was added we are seeing a rivalry begin to develop between Virginia and Virginia Tech.

beginning to develop? I think a couple of friends of mine, a married couple, one from VT and one from UVA, would find this amusing. Perhaps you are just referring to the basketball rivalry. Football wise, the rivalry has been going on at least since they were undergrads 25 years ago, and probably far longer.

I agree with the South Carolina suggestion, it would be a geographic natural, plus an in-conference rivalry with Clemson would be sweet, but this is where I show my relative youth. There seem to be grudges held against South Carolina from something that happened in the early 1970s. I think they withdrew from the ACC or something, and the attitude of the rest of the conference has been, since then, "you made your bed, now lie in it." Not sure how long grudges need to be kept to make a point, or whether SC would even want back in.

05dukie
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I live in Baltimore and once saw a bumper sticker that read "Breathe if you hate Duke"

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Another report (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030405060.html?hpid=moreheadlines) on the riot after the game.

Looks like the PGC cops were out in force to break up the crowd and the crowd was intent on burning stuff and trying to flip a bus. Lots of pepper spray, tear gas, ice balls, batons, and punches. What a way to celebrate!

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
They should follow soccer's lead and make Maryland play in an empty arena, no home fans. You trash the campus, you get no Duke game to go to next year.

Absolutely ingenious idea. I don't know why American sports haven't picked up on this yet. They penalized Maryland a few years ago for cursing on TV, but that clearly didn't do the trick.

Unfortunately, the best way to do it is to penalize the fans.

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I live in Baltimore and once saw a bumper sticker that read "Breathe if you hate Duke"

How is that different from Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell? In all honesty, "Breathe if you hate Duke" is actually less offensive than GTHCGTH.

diesel
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Absolutely ingenious idea. I They penalized Maryland a few years ago for cursing on TV, but that clearly didn't do the trick.

When were the Twerps so penalized? It would need to be made an annual event--since it has been happening all the many years that I have been watching Md games on TV.

I mean to put in a complaint to the FCC based on their obvious bias in dealing with "indecency". They were quick to levy a half million dollar plus fine for the half a second "wardrobe malfunction" involving Janet Jackson at the 2004 Superbowl. Meanwhile, they ignore repeated annual use of the F-bomb on TV by Md "fans."

The difference between these episodes? In my opinion it is FCC hypocrisy. The college students at Md--and maybe elsewhere--are a protected class. This disparity in treatment needs to end.

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2010, 11:17 AM
When were the Twerps so penalized? It would need to be made an annual event--since it has been happening all the many years that I have been watching Md games on TV.

I was under the impression that ESPN (or another network, or all of the major stations) didn't show any UMD games for a period of time. I may be wrong. Can anyone confirm or unconfirm these statements?

bluedevilallie
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I recently discussed with a client of mine all this--he says people should contact/complain not just with the school, but with ESPN about not televising games there due to fan decorum.....not sure that would actually fly either.

bubbasparkscp
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Where to start, where to start...

First off, with the game. It was a great game played by both teams, easily one of the best in this great RIVALRY over the past 10 to 15 years. Yes, it is a rivalry game. We may not be UNC to you, but I'd be willing to say that you hate to lose to us almost as much as to them. The ACC recognizes us as your second rival, and you should too. Plus, there wouldn't be all this hubbub about students' in-game and post-game actions if you didn't really care about us... The one traveling call and possibly the over-and-back call on Scheyer (although I can't be sure) might have gone against you, but there were tough no calls on both sides. To complain about the refs is a little unfair, for once you guys didn't receive every call that you normally want and get (cough*Scheyer throwing his legs out on threes to get fouled*cough). Anyway, great game, clearly UMD fed off the crowd and Duke still gave them a run for their money.

About us all being from privileged backgrounds, hold your horses. Yes, DC and some Baltimore suburbs are among the wealthiest in the nation. But that doesn't mean everyone here is wealthy like you insinuate. We pride ourselves on being one of the most diverse campuses in the country, providing education for all races and and people of varying socio-economic statuses. If anyone comes from privileged backgrounds, it's those students who can afford to spend $45,000 plus to go to Duke.

On the ACC topic, we're not leaving the conference anytime soon, and as much as the ACC is all about the Carolina schools 24/7, the conference needs the DC/Bmore market and we are traditionally a strong athletic program (most national championships across all sports other than UNC in ACC). To show the ACC (and ESPN's) bias towards you, how many games have you been on national television, nearly all of them?! Duke-Tulsa sure is intriguing at the end of February on ESPN, as is your non-conference blowouts. It's a love affair that creates your bandwagon fans all across the country. UMD has had one ESPN2 game on a Saturday at 6pm against NCST, and a CBS and ESPN game against Duke, and one nationally televised FSN UNC game. That's it. It's quite sickening. I sure wish everyone could have seen us beat Longwood by 50, damn...

Fans behavior during the game. Yes, we were loud, and yes, we were vulgar. Probably the loudest I've heard Comcastle with the exception of Cliff Tucker's game winner against GT. I'm real mixed about the vulgarity everyone heard on ESPN. Other schools do it - WVU as we all know and their reputation, Florida State was chanting racial slurs at Vasquez this year, and there are always vulgar chants where there are large student bodies. However, the F bomb is a negative light upon the students and I can see how that disgusts and angers people. For that I apologize, but we really don't like Scheyer lol.

There have been incidents spoken of about thrown objects at Duke fans, and overall poor treatment. Yes, you will get yelled at and taunted, especially the 2 kids and a dad wearing Duke clothing I saw walk down the center of the student wall section. In the arena, we will not be nice and catering, so live with it. And while I don't doubt that some of these incidents have happened involving thrown objects and things of that sort, I think some are blown out of proportion, but it is those 3 or 4 people who do things like this that give us a bad name. Unfortunately, there are isolated incidents like these at most colleges. It really is a shame. A heated rivalry should stop at verbal fights and taunting, nothing more. Nothing else I can say about that.

Rushing the floor, it is what it is. You can show me Rick Reilly's rules about rushing, but it was senior night, an upset (even if we were ranked) of a top 4 team, and our biggest rivals. If anything, it was for the seniors. I agree that rushing can be taken in poor taste sometimes, and this is one I'm mixed on. We hadn't beat Duke in awhile, and the students were happy. Eh, whatever.

And finally, the riot. Oh those College Park riots. I am a student at UMD, but did not participate in Wednesday nights' party on Route 1. Do I think we had the right to celebrate and go drink and have a good time? Absolutely. It's college, the best 4 years of your life. Again, are there those handful of people that think its right or funny to completely cross the line, get everyone else in trouble, destruct property and give the University a poor rep after a great win. It's awful. I'll provide this link of our "riot" so you can see what went on. It's HD quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9krzgiV5A&feature=player_embedded . Dumb, dumb people decide to light trash cans on fire, climb poles, and rip signs out of the ground. Why? Who the hell knows. We deserved to celebrate and people abuse the right, ruining it for everyone else. The 28 arrests were probably deserved, but there have been articles in our student newspaper about police brutality, undeserved macing, beating, etc. The truth remains clouded. You should know that we are not completely classless people. We are ruthless at times in our chanting and partying, but its because we love our school. In a sea of 25,000 undergrads, you are bound to have a few hundred "bad eggs" who do things like this. You can see in the video, most people went to drink, celebrate, dance, and cheer for their school. And before you judge our riot, I found a link to a Duke riot from 2008 I believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28ntzwnmqA . Burning benches, chanting anti-UNC things, etc. Not much different, eh? So before you judge us, try not to be hypocritical.

I tried not to rant too much, and hopefully made some educated and valid arguments defending my great University. Great game, hope we meet again in the ACC Tournament Finals.

DevilHorns
03-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Where to start, where to start...

First off, with the game. It was a great game played by both teams, easily one of the best in this great RIVALRY over the past 10 to 15 years. Yes, it is a rivalry game. We may not be UNC to you, but I'd be willing to say that you hate to lose to us almost as much as to them. The ACC recognizes us as your second rival, and you should too. Plus, there wouldn't be all this hubbub about students' in-game and post-game actions if you didn't really care about us... The one traveling call and possibly the over-and-back call on Scheyer (although I can't be sure) might have gone against you, but there were tough no calls on both sides. To complain about the refs is a little unfair, for once you guys didn't receive every call that you normally want and get (cough*Scheyer throwing his legs out on threes to get fouled*cough). Anyway, great game, clearly UMD fed off the crowd and Duke still gave them a run for their money.

About us all being from privileged backgrounds, hold your horses. Yes, DC and some Baltimore suburbs are among the wealthiest in the nation. But that doesn't mean everyone here is wealthy like you insinuate. We pride ourselves on being one of the most diverse campuses in the country, providing education for all races and and people of varying socio-economic statuses. If anyone comes from privileged backgrounds, it's those students who can afford to spend $45,000 plus to go to Duke.

On the ACC topic, we're not leaving the conference anytime soon, and as much as the ACC is all about the Carolina schools 24/7, the conference needs the DC/Bmore market and we are traditionally a strong athletic program (most national championships across all sports other than UNC in ACC). To show the ACC (and ESPN's) bias towards you, how many games have you been on national television, nearly all of them?! Duke-Tulsa sure is intriguing at the end of February on ESPN, as is your non-conference blowouts. It's a love affair that creates your bandwagon fans all across the country. UMD has had one ESPN2 game on a Saturday at 6pm against NCST, and a CBS and ESPN game against Duke, and one nationally televised FSN UNC game. That's it. It's quite sickening. I sure wish everyone could have seen us beat Longwood by 50, damn...

Fans behavior during the game. Yes, we were loud, and yes, we were vulgar. Probably the loudest I've heard Comcastle with the exception of Cliff Tucker's game winner against GT. I'm real mixed about the vulgarity everyone heard on ESPN. Other schools do it - WVU as we all know and their reputation, Florida State was chanting racial slurs at Vasquez this year, and there are always vulgar chants where there are large student bodies. However, the F bomb is a negative light upon the students and I can see how that disgusts and angers people. For that I apologize, but we really don't like Scheyer lol.

There have been incidents spoken of about thrown objects at Duke fans, and overall poor treatment. Yes, you will get yelled at and taunted, especially the 2 kids and a dad wearing Duke clothing I saw walk down the center of the student wall section. In the arena, we will not be nice and catering, so live with it. And while I don't doubt that some of these incidents have happened involving thrown objects and things of that sort, I think some are blown out of proportion, but it is those 3 or 4 people who do things like this that give us a bad name. Unfortunately, there are isolated incidents like these at most colleges. It really is a shame. A heated rivalry should stop at verbal fights and taunting, nothing more. Nothing else I can say about that.

Rushing the floor, it is what it is. You can show me Rick Reilly's rules about rushing, but it was senior night, an upset (even if we were ranked) of a top 4 team, and our biggest rivals. If anything, it was for the seniors. I agree that rushing can be taken in poor taste sometimes, and this is one I'm mixed on. We hadn't beat Duke in awhile, and the students were happy. Eh, whatever.

And finally, the riot. Oh those College Park riots. I am a student at UMD, but did not participate in Wednesday nights' party on Route 1. Do I think we had the right to celebrate and go drink and have a good time? Absolutely. It's college, the best 4 years of your life. Again, are there those handful of people that think its right or funny to completely cross the line, get everyone else in trouble, destruct property and give the University a poor rep after a great win. It's awful. I'll provide this link of our "riot" so you can see what went on. It's HD quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9krzgiV5A&feature=player_embedded . Dumb, dumb people decide to light trash cans on fire, climb poles, and rip signs out of the ground. Why? Who the hell knows. We deserved to celebrate and people abuse the right, ruining it for everyone else. The 28 arrests were probably deserved, but there have been articles in our student newspaper about police brutality, undeserved macing, beating, etc. The truth remains clouded. You should know that we are not completely classless people. We are ruthless at times in our chanting and partying, but its because we love our school. In a sea of 25,000 undergrads, you are bound to have a few hundred "bad eggs" who do things like this. You can see in the video, most people went to drink, celebrate, dance, and cheer for their school. And before you judge our riot, I found a link to a Duke riot from 2008 I believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28ntzwnmqA . Burning benches, chanting anti-UNC things, etc. Not much different, eh? So before you judge us, try not to be hypocritical.

I tried not to rant too much, and hopefully made some educated and valid arguments defending my great University. Great game, hope we meet again in the ACC Tournament Finals.

You are completely clueless. Nobody is saying that you can't celebrate by rushing the court and drinking/partying afterwards. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't boo opposing fans that enter your stadium.

Throwing beer bottles, dropping the F bomb at players, racial slurs, rioting. Its sad and shows your true character that you are not completely against any of this. You think its just a little bit exaggerated by the media. Or that oh look FSU and WVU also have fans that behave in this way, so maybe its ok.

Come on man. Behavior like this has no part in the college game. I have plenty of UMD friends (I live in Baltimore right now) and they all realize that this behavior is unacceptable and should not be tolerated as the status quo.

And btw, it was an excellent game. I've always liked Vasquez and I'm happy for him since he's had a tough career at UMD with on and off support from fans.

The bottom line is, win or lose, have some class.

Oh ps--- its Tradition at Duke to burn our benches on West Campus after beating UNC. This is sanctioned by the fire department and only done with authorization by the city. Its not on some street corner or whatever.

bubbasparkscp
03-06-2010, 01:16 AM
You are completely clueless. Nobody is saying that you can't celebrate by rushing the court and drinking/partying afterwards. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't boo opposing fans that enter your stadium.

Throwing beer bottles, dropping the F bomb at players, racial slurs, rioting. Its sad and shows your true character that you are not completely against any of this. You think its just a little bit exaggerated by the media. Or that oh look FSU and WVU also have fans that behave in this way, so maybe its ok.

Come on man. Behavior like this has no part in the college game. I have plenty of UMD friends (I live in Baltimore right now) and they all realize that this behavior is unacceptable and should not be tolerated as the status quo.

And btw, it was an excellent game. I've always liked Vasquez and I'm happy for him since he's had a tough career at UMD with on and off support from fans.

The bottom line is, win or lose, have some class.

Oh ps--- its Tradition at Duke to burn our benches on West Campus after beating UNC. This is sanctioned by the fire department and only done with authorization by the city. Its not on some street corner or whatever.

I never said I supported the vulgarity and nonsense that goes on. Just pointing out that we aren't the only fans who are this "classless." It doesn't make it okay, especially when a national TV audience can hear it and it makes them form opinions about us. I said, those beer bottle incidents are isolated events. There are always drunk out of their mind fans who feel that's right to do, when its not. Those types of behavior are not acceptable. These few events are leading people to make claims that we shouldn't have home games, etc. Its just unfair that the actions of these people (most of whom probably are grown adults) ruin the reputation of Terp fans as great, loud fans who will never give an opponent an easy time.

Kewlswim
03-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi,

Shouting vulgarities, though crass is probably done at every school including Duke. The Terps fans seem to do it more and I am confident that if I lived in Maryland I would continue to watch this particular contest on TV. The reason is both the continuous ugly verbal barbs and most importantly it is the physical danger one seems to be in just for being a Duke fan at the contest.

Many years ago I was working at UNC-C in the Department of Economics with a guy who was a PHD from Clemson. He believed, based on how the Crazies behaved on air they must also be physically threatening. He was probably speaking for a lot of people. In other words, I bet rational fans across the nation probably think Duke's Cameron Crazies are physically abusive. I was able to convince him, I think, that if that was the case one would have heard something about those cases and that conspiracies where those attacks are "hushed" are so outside the realm of what is realistic it isn't worth talking about.

GO DUKE! GTHC!

Franzez
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM

What section are you sitting in?

Try sitting in the upper levels with the South Baltimore/Anne Arundel County redneck Raven fans.

Franzez
03-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Huh?

Huh?

I like Maryland OK and have many friends who live there, but outside of Montgomery County, which is comparable but not really superior in schools or safety to Fairfax County, Virginia, how can you make such statements? I'd have to see some authoritative stats to come even close to believing them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/07/AR2009010702347.html

I'll try to find the article on the safe suburbs.

Its hard to believe about the school system and suburbs.

Kewlswim
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Wow, how anyone can in anyway equate what Duke students do with that of Maryland is beyond me. I'd temporarily forgotten the awesomeness of the Crazies (I blame it on old age). We are loud, irritating (in a good way), and don't seem all that vulgar. The guy I was mentioning from Clemson might have some sour-grapes too, who knows? Also, an f-bomb here and there by Coach K is in no way the same as an organized chant. Players and coaches in the heat of battle say things and I don't think any of us infers anyone on the team is a Choir Boy. Our team is a bunch of handsome, articulate, Choir Boy looking fellows because they reflect the overall Duke student population. :D

GO DUKE!