PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs Maryland (II)

BlueintheFace
03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Calling all Jumbos...

weezie
03-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Well?

I'll say Nolan for showing his heart.

DukieInBrasil
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Agreed, Nolan is my MOTM. He had a stretch in the 2nd half when he scored 7 strait points to put Duke ahead. We just couldn't hold on to the lead.
Jon had a pretty inefficient game and, as was opined in other threads, if the ACC POY were to be decided by this game (a somewhat dubious claim) Vasquez would have won it, he played far superior to Jon in this game.
A special shout to Andre for hitting 2 3s in the same game for the 1st time in 2010. Also a special shout to Miles for hitting his 1st 3 in college, on his only career attempt.

superdave
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree on Nolan. He played as a good a stretch in the 2nd half as he ever has. He willed a couple of shots through the hoop. And played great D on Vasquez as well.

-jk
03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Attaching the poll.

-jk

91_92_01_10_15
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I picked Andre. Though he was obviously not as much a part of the game as the starters, I thought he provided solid minutes, offensively and defensively. I'll be interested to see his +/- stats.

Duke Mom
03-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Nolan was relentless. He fought like a warrior, never giving up, putting his body into the fight and making baskets. Watching him this season, it seems like the tougher the opponent, the tougher Nolan Smith plays. Maybe he needs that extra mental shot of adrenaline to turn it on, but whatever it was he brought it to Maryland.

Just a note on Maryland - and this is not sour grapes, they played great - the University of Maryland administration should take stock of the very negative way their university is represented by low class fan behavior, both verbally during the game and physically after the game. Would never be tolerated at Duke. Certainly would make any parent think twice about sending a kid there.

Kfanarmy
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
not gonna vote on this one...Nolan played great keeping Duke in it for stretches in the 2nd half, but didn't demand the ball in the final two minutes...Jon had 19 but shot way too many to get there. Kyle shot reasonably but wasn't dominent in any stretch...Z may be most deserving for rebounds but was a non-factor when Md was building the early lead. A gritty performance in a loss where no one really shined for the whole game.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Nolan for MOTM. I'm going for Zoubs for BOTM. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1651
Zouberman is one tough SOB! :cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Bump

loldevilz
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Nolan is very slowly morphing into not just a good player, but a great player. I gave him my MOTM. Scheyer and Singler shot very poorly from the field again. Zoubs got a lot of good rebounds, but was tired at the end and let up. I thought the bench played very well.

Greg_Newton
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
To me, Kyle was the only one that manned up from the opening tip. Nolan and Jon were better at times, but if everyone else had played with Kyle's confidence and edge from the get-go we wouldn't be looking at an L. Get cocky, guys!

greybeard
03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I thought that the entire tem competed very well against a Maryland team that played terrifically. Scheyer made a few shots in the second half that were very big time. The three off the dribble going laterally to put Duke up by 3 late and the hanging, double clutch floater to avoid Williams. He made the play they wanted with that straight drive to the basket at the end with a call that could easily have been made.

Given Maryland's preparation and its having committed to take away the Big Three's legs, I say Scheyer is MOTM.

I wouldn't be hatin on anyone who says Kyle who so left it all out on the floor, Smith, who is becoming more and more the go to guy but too often gets inside the defense without a viable option (the coaches need to include the big men), and Z, who did everything that the coaches asked of him terrifically.

There were too many instances when Nolan got inside the defense for a short J only to find himself needing to adjust the release point to get the shot off. Didn't make one of them. This is a shortcoming in Duke's style of play, and not a shortcoming on Nolan's part, imo.

airowe
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I went with Nolan.

Side note: Is Jumbo OK or did he get arrested in College Park?

Duvall
03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Side note: Is Jumbo OK or did he get arrested in College Park?

I don't think Jumbo ventures south of the Mason-Dixon line.

jv001
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Nolan played the best game. Made some good drives into the lane and played Vasquez pretty tough most of the game. Go Duke!