PDA

View Full Version : Jon's Chances

DBFAN
03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Does this game ruin Sheyer's chance for Player of the year in the ACC. I hate to say it but I think it will, even though in the first match up it was not even close. But with this being more dramatic, and with the last second heroics of Vasquez (spelling?) over the last week, I am afraid Jon will have this ripped away. Just wondering what you guys think.

Spam Filter
03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
GV will be the ACC POY.

weezie
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
when do they vote? Before or after the tourney?

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Scheyer will have to have a monster game on Saturday in order to win it.

chrisheery
03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I am not sure why Scheyer cannot get a call on a drive. He constantly gets hand checked by his man and bumped off his line. Some say that is a part of the game, but it shouldn't be. A foul is simply contact that gives one player an advantage. In those situations, it clearly puts a player like Jon at a disadvantage when he can get bumped and no foul is called. I didn't put this in the post game thread because I don't want this to seem like I am just talking about tonight. It has been the case for the entire second half of the season. Its garbage.

cameroncrazy3104
03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok so we all know that tonight ACC POY was up for grabs. And if you look at the stats there really isnt much pointing either way. GV had 1 more point than jon and that is counting 2 of his late game free throws. GV had 1 more turnover, jon had 1 more steal. Ya GV had 3 more assists but jon had 3 more rebounds. So overall i still think it is tight.

You also have to count in that GV was playing all on adrenalin tonight because of senior night plus the croud was behind him. Which work equally against jon because Maryland has some of the most annoying fans in the business. So if jon goes big on sat. I think he is still up there if not in the lead.

Spam Filter
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I am not sure why Scheyer cannot get a call on a drive. He constantly gets hand checked by his man and bumped off his line. Some say that is a part of the game, but it shouldn't be. A foul is simply contact that gives one player an advantage. In those situations, it clearly puts a player like Jon at a disadvantage when he can get bumped and no foul is called. I didn't put this in the post game thread because I don't want this to seem like I am just talking about tonight. It has been the case for the entire second half of the season. Its garbage.

It's because he's such a great FT shooter.

When you shoot 90%, refs instinctively feel that to call a foul on the other team is giving your team 2 points, and hence subconsciously have a higher criteria for blowing the whistle when fouls are committed against you.

That's why it's better to be a 75-80% FT shooting, good enough but not so good as to earn the "automatic 2" reputation.

JJ had the same problem.

tele
03-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Vasquez didn't have that great a game, but he still probably won POY. I'd rather Jon focus on doing what it takes to help the team win anyway. 2 assists and 21 shot attempts probably aren't what you are looking for from the point guard on a championship team. He was passing the ball so well earlier in the season.

Kfanarmy
03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Vasquez didn't have that great a game, but he still probably won POY. I'd rather Jon focus on doing what it takes to help the team win anyway. 2 assists and 21 shot attempts probably aren't what you are looking for from the point guard on a championship team. He was passing the ball so well earlier in the season.

Head to head matchup GV had end of game heroics, his team won, and he hit 6 of 13 while Jon hit 7 of 21...bad shooting night and Jon essentially turned the ball over twice in the last two minutes...the impression for anyone outside of Duke will be that GV carried his team in an important game while Jon had a fairly routine performance in the same game.

tele
03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Oops! I meant to say "Vasquez didn't have that great a game, but Vasquez still probably won POY. Agree on your other points.

DurhamMatt
03-04-2010, 01:52 AM
GV will win ACC player of the year he was awesome and I think that race was all about this matchup.... Although I vote of course for Jon

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2010, 06:05 AM
As I've said, Vasquez is more important to Maryland than Scheyer is to Duke. That's not saying that Scheyer isn't important - it's that Vasquez is simply more important. Without him, UMD wouldn't even be in the upper two-thirds of the ACC, IMO.

That said, while I would vote for Jon, Vasquez deserves POY. His stat line, coupled with Maryland's amazing ACC run, is simply stunning. He is so damn cocky, but I feel that is his appeal. He is Maryland's version of JJ, only he can't score as well and is a much better rebounder and passer.

Sigh - I kinda wish he was more athletic / stronger so he could have been drafted last year...

Bob Green
03-04-2010, 06:09 AM
If I had a vote for ACC POY, I would vote for Vasquez. He is an amazing player and has earned the honor!

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
If I had a vote for ACC POY, I would vote for Vasquez. He is an amazing player and has earned the honor!

Would you be able to take off your Duke blue glasses? Even though Vasquez deserves it in my book, I would still have to vote for Jon. I couldn't be like Jay Bilas.

hoseman
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
What he said.

Highlander
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
It's always possible we have co-ACC POY. It's happened before.

Chard
03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
With ESPN basically running a GV promo for the entire 2+ hours I think he will have the lead. I've never seen anything like that.

Both players receiving the honor would be the best option, IMO. But we all know that won't happen.

Duvall
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
It's always possible we have co-ACC POY. It's happened before.

Only by accident. It's not like there's a committee that meets to decide on this.

Jeffrey
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Vasquez didn't have that great a game....

Strongly disagee. IMO, GV played great (especially, when it mattered most), in a great game, in which both teams were very competitive.

In your opinion, what player (on either team) had a better game?

Kedsy
03-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Why do people (including the broadcasters) say this head-to-head matchup will decide the POY? First of all the POY is supposed to be about the entire season, and second, the two have gone head-to-head twice this year and Jon was the better player in the first matchup.

Personally, I don't think Jon has played well enough during the conference schedule to be the ACC POY, but I can't understand how this one game decides anything.

NSDukeFan
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Why do people (including the broadcasters) say this head-to-head matchup will decide the POY? First of all the POY is supposed to be about the entire season, and second, the two have gone head-to-head twice this year and Jon was the better player in the first matchup.

Personally, I don't think Jon has played well enough during the conference schedule to be the ACC POY, but I can't understand how this one game decides anything.

You're certainly right in that one game should definitely not decide POY. I just think that many (broadcasters included) see these two as the top two candidates in a tight race and that human voters may take a final matchup between the two as the deciding factor, if all else is equal. And, it makes promoting the game easier as well.