PDA

View Full Version : those ^&%*! spinning thingys

duke98
03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
When I was in the pep band at Duke, we were told that we weren't allowed to wave our instruments during free throws because we might get a technical. Does the same rule not apply to those obnoxious spiral things that Wake (and now MD) fans have in the crowd behind the baskets?

I've been told that "good" players can block them out, but there were a lot of them tonight. And we had a pretty poor shooting night on FTs. Coincidence?

If nothing else, those things are a sign of the worst kind of fans. If I ever see one in Cameron Indoor Stadium, I'm turning in my Duke fan card.

GoingFor#5
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Their fans really are obscene and it's as if the school wants to potray a thug image cause they don't seem to care.

DukeUsul
03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Art. 9 Team followers, as in Rule 4-27, shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following:
a. Using musical instruments, amplified music or artificial noisemakers while the game is in progress, except timeouts and intermission.
b. Using laser pointers.
c. Throwing debris on the court after officials’ jurisdiction has begun.
d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to, followers entering the playing court before the player activity has been terminated. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.
e. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.

I'm not exactly sure how the rule is interpreted to prevent us in the band from waving instruments. I guess "using musical instruments" doesn't have to mean "blowing into."

However, I think section e. should apply to UMD fans.

CLW
03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
agreed i heard repeated F_U chants throughout the night again. ESPN didn't bother to bleep it out or apologize for it this time.

pamtar
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
those things suck, but shouldn't this be in the in-game thread?

DevilHorns
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Whatever. I think fans should be allowed to have them. Its a VISUAL distraction. There should be nothing illegal about that.

Carrie
03-03-2010, 11:23 PM
They're annoying, but I think they should be allowed to have them. Every student section does what they can to distract the other team's free throw shooters, Duke included. If we can have men in Speedos, I don't see how we can say they can't have spinny thingies.

weezie
03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Their fans really are obscene and it's as if the school wants to potray a thug image cause they don't seem to care.

I think they take a great deal of pride from their reps as foul-mouthed asses.
One tech from a decent ref and that crap would stop.

weezie
03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Whatever. I think fans should be allowed to have them. Its a VISUAL distraction. There should be nothing illegal about that.

OK, horns conch shells, spinny things, topless waitresses, elephants, monkeys on trapezes, let's just throw everything at these college guys. It's fun, isn't it?!

camion
03-03-2010, 11:40 PM
OK, horns conch shells, spinny things, topless waitresses, elephants, monkeys on trapezes, let's just throw everything at these college guys. It's fun, isn't it?!

I want tickets for the topless waitress game. :)

loran16
03-04-2010, 12:03 AM
There's precedent in US Law to a statute forbidding "using guns" during a crime to include using them for purposes other than shooting (such as selling them).

I imagine the same could be adapted to band instruments.

RaineyDevil
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
e. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.

So "F**K you Scheyer" or yelling "F**K you" during Zombie Nation apparently doesn't apply to Maryland fans.

I know if that had been Cameron, K would have stopped the game. Apparently Gary sweats to much to grab the mike and say something.

CLASSLESS.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I guess Speedo Guy is OK, though.

My idea is to hold up fake basketball backboards, including the rim and basket, and slowly move them around.

So it seems Maryland fans aspire to be a more vulgar version of Wake fans. I mean: giant sections of yellow, check. "Kernkraft 400", check. Spinning thingies, check. All they need to do is tie-dye their shirts.

oso diablo
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
most (if not all) of them are too low to be of any influence or a distraction. they are nowhere near the line of sight for a free throw shooter.

DurhamMatt
03-04-2010, 10:15 AM
The cursing is not cool. Last summer some drunk ( and yes I like beer at the game too) UNC students were harassing a teenage kid in a duke hat in the bleachers at the Durham bulls game. Taking vulgarity to a new level in front of my 9 year old. I know how much that pissed me off. However, I love the spinny things, I love the passion, I love the way they yell "sucks" after an opposing player is introduced. Look how riled up they have our boards, it's a little pathetic. Sometimes I wish we didn't consider ourselves so "classy" Walking away with my nose in the air.......

DukeDevilDeb
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I guess Speedo Guy is OK, though.

My idea is to hold up fake basketball backboards, including the rim and basket, and slowly move them around.

So it seems Maryland fans aspire to be a more vulgar version of Wake fans. I mean: giant sections of yellow, check. "Kernkraft 400", check. Spinning thingies, check. All they need to do is tie-dye their shirts.

Remember that Coach K called out Speedo Guy. We may have loved it (and UNC did miss two free throws), but Coach very specifically said that he didn't like Duke fans appearing in their underwear!:D

RaineyDevil
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Remember that Coach K called out Speedo Guy. We may have loved it (and UNC did miss two free throws), but Coach very specifically said that he didn't like Duke fans appearing in their underwear!:D

That, to me, is the difference. Speedo guy may have done it, but K clearly made comments reprimanding such behavior. I'm sure deep inside K loved it, but he knew what he had to do. Sweatboy on the other hand, allows and promotes such vulgarity.

Bluedog
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
That, to me, is the difference. Speedo guy may have done it, but K clearly made comments reprimanding such behavior. I'm sure deep inside K loved it, but he knew what he had to do. Sweatboy on the other hand, allows and promotes such vulgarity.

K didn't really "reprimand" Speedo guy. You can tell from the video of his comments that he found it entertaining, but just thinks that "speedos don't belong at a basketball game." He said it while practically laughing. It's not as if he thought the behavior was inexcusable or anything like that. Just he'd prefer not to see it. ;)

RaineyDevil
03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
K didn't really "reprimand" Speedo guy. You can tell from the video of his comments that he found it entertaining, but just thinks that "speedos don't belong at a basketball game." He said it while practically laughing. It's not as if he thought the behavior was inexcusable or anything like that. Just he'd prefer not to see it. ;)

Yeah i guess reprimand wasn't quite what I meant. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. We all know he loved it.