PDA

View Full Version : Dino v Paul

stals
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Which coach has made less of his talent? Dino Gaudio at WFU or Paul Hewitt at G-Tech? Both seem to recruit well but seem to be below average coaches on the court.

oldnavy
03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Roy Williams

loldevilz
03-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Roy Williams

you win

Indoor66
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Roy Williams

Lock the thread. Contest is over!

Rudy
03-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Which coach has made less of his talent? Dino Gaudio at WFU or Paul Hewitt at G-Tech? Both seem to recruit well but seem to be below average coaches on the court.

I wouldn't even say Dino recruits well. Didn't Skip Prosser get Aminou to commit a year early? Smith is clearly a Prosser recruit.

Matches
03-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Wake is really a mess right now. Tech has kind of underachieved all season but they don't seem to regress during the season like Gaudio's teams have.

miramar
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Well, at least GTech could actually beat Carolina, so I would have to give my vote to Gino.

Wake was ranked on February 15 before losing four in a row, so maybe Gino's just doing an Oliver Purnell imitation. Clemson has won 5/6 at the end for a change, so maybe Gino is just the new Purnell.

cbnaylor
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
You down with OPP? :)

Olympic Fan
03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it was Prosser who landed most of the talent that Wake has played with over the last two years -- Teague and Johnson were his. Ish Smith is his. So are Chas McFarland, LD Williams, David Weaver and Gary Clark.

Aminu and Tony Woods committed to Wake before Prosser's death. So did Ty Walker, a top 50 big man who has so far been unable to get off the bench.

So far, the only "Dino" recruits in the Wake rotation are Ari Stewart and CJ Harris. Both can play ... although after a great start, Harris has been smacked by the rookie wall.

Dino's reputation as a recruiter depends largely on next year's class. It's generally regarded as a top 10 class, although it doesn't include any top 25 prospects and just one top 50 -- combo forward Travis McKie. J.T. Terrell, a top 100 shooting guard from Charlotte may be underrated -- he's put up some spectacular numbers in NC 4-A competition over the last month. Melvin Tabb, a PF from Raleigh, is also a top 100 guy. But their key recruit may be Tony Chennault, a top 150 PG from Philadelphia. If they're going to survive next year, he's got to be very good, very fast. They also have a big guy Carson Deroisiers that I've heard described by one guru as the most overrated player in the class.

Now, Hewitt is the best ACC recruiter outside of K and Roy. So of the two, I'd say he's done less with more. Over the last decade, I'd say Hewitt has squandered the most talent in the ACC,

But as oldnavy said, this year at least, Roy wins without argument.

PS Just a thought, but what would you get if you could combine Hewitt's recruiting ability with Gary Williams' coaching ability?

I guess the answer is that you'd have another K or Roy in the league.