PDA

View Full Version : Coach K - Good Guy

chrisheery
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4961273

Just tremendous article. I am proud to have a man like that represent Duke.

SFDukie
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Wonderful story. Thanks for posting it.

duke=legacy
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Feel that same way.

CameronDuke
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Touching stuff. Coach K is a remarkable human being. Forget how good of a basketball coach he is. I firmly believe had he not been one of the best college basketball coaches ever (which he is), he would still be one of the greatest humans to walk this planet.

He's class, people. Class.

jacone21
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Great article from Katz.

Coach K: "I've worn it every game since because I'm proud of it. It puts the game in perspective. How can a game ever be that difficult?"

Amen, Coach.

oldnavy
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM

What can you say about a man like K? This may sound kind of weird, but I love the man. I know someone who has a very close personal relationship with him and has known him since his first day at Duke. This gentleman has told me several personal stories of how K has reached out to people when there was absolutely nothing for him to gain by doing so, just his compassion for hurting people. And, he does these things completely out of the public's eye. He is a wonderful person and my hope is that one day I will be able to shake his hand.

BlueintheFace
03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Great article from Katz.

Coach K: "I've worn it every game since because I'm proud of it. It puts the game in perspective. How can a game ever be that difficult?"

Amen, Coach.

A stark contrast to other coaches out there. We are so lucky.

InSpades
03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
A stark contrast to other coaches out there. We are so lucky.

You don't need to compare Coach K to anyone to know that he is special. He's the guy you would want to coach your son or daughter. Not because they'd win more games (though that's very likely) but because they'd inevitably become better people just by being around him on a daily basis. They could put his picture next to the phrase "lead by example" and it would not be out of place.

ReformedAggie
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
So touched by this story.
So proud.

cspan37421
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Thread should be retitled, Coach K - Great Guy

Indoor66
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
You can tell the fibre of a man by looking at what he does when no one is looking. Coach K is a wonderful man.

weezie
03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Made me cry a little.
I'd love to shake K's hand, too.

Starter
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
My first week on campus, I ran into him in the freshman gym and introduced myself, hands shaking. He never failed to call me by name every time I saw him after that. Sometimes lost in the fact that he's an amazing coach is that he truly is an amazing person.

davekay1971
03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I've always been proud to have that man be, in many ways, the face of Duke University. I've never been prouder.

noyac
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
This is a recent article on ESPN.com about Coach K and some very touching things he has done for a family. It really speaks for what a great person Coach K is, not just a great Coach

I hope you enjoy this article as much a I did.

LSanders
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Prior to the MD game, K praised that team, stating that it was a reflection of it's coach.

That same characteristic is what's always impressed me about K's teams.

Of course, we all long for the incredible rush that accompanies Final Four/Championship seasons and have been privileged, as Duke fans, to experience more than our fair share of such seasons. But, cheering for Duke long ago became an honor for me that transcended winning games. The teams K constructs to represent Duke make me (and all of us) proud EVERY YEAR. Winning is the icing, but the sweetness of the cake is a constant that remains year-in and year-out.

This story, like so many others we've heard over the years, is a reminder of K's "motto": Winning is important, but it's the journey that really matters. The same can be said for life, obviously. As long as we have the opportunity to accompany people of the caliber of K and Cut on their journeys, we are all blessed.

If I remember correctly, there's an old Swedish proverb that states: "Those who wish to sing can always find a song." That's one of the lessons taught by this article and by the man about whom it's written. And, that's why it is an honor to be part of the extended team of the men in the proper shade of blue!

jipops
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
There is a certain coach down the road that could learn a lot from this. Heck, there are lots of people that could learn a lot from this.