PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus now 205 and firing passes

formerdukeathlete
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2010/03/02/Sports/Diamond.Dont.Be.So.Quick.To.Count.Out.Paulus.When. It.Comes.To.Nfl-3882513.shtml

"He is physically bigger since the season ended. He gained about 10 pounds to bring himself near his target weight of 205 and hopes to add another pound by Thursday. The extra muscle shows particularly in his legs - the product of daily workouts alone and with the SU coaching staff. On certain days, he worked one-on-one with strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks for hours at a time. On this day, Paulus threw for about 20 minutes, working on a series of patterns at a variety of distances. From seeing a number of throws, it is evident Paulus' arm strength has improved. The 16-yard outside throws that looped toward its target during the season zipped on a straight line. His throwing motion looked more effortless. During the season, he visibly labored on long passes, dipping and hitching his right shoulder to push the ball away."

Pro Day is March 4th at Syracuse. Green Bay apparently is still interested. More teams will be at the 'Cuse to see Greg throw tomorrow.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fanblogs/85988772.html

"Packers Maintain Interest in Paulus"

moonpie23
03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
go FREAKIN greg paulus....would love to see him make a pro team...

weezie
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
There isn't one ounce of quit in our Greg. Go Greg, Go!

jv001
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
to see Greg play 4 years of football at Duke under Coach Cut. Might have been a different story. But again he would have played the same time as our very good QB..Thad Lewis. Don't know how that would have turned out. Well basketball was Greg's first love. Go Duke!

DukieInBrasil
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
what coulda been? Greg was blessed enough to be a great enough athlete to play 2 DI sports in programs that have cultivated other fantastic pro players. What if K had not imposed that Greg not even consider playing football? What if Greg had decided that he had wanted to play at a school that allowed him to play both? What if Greg had moved over and played essentially a SG-style off-PG for Duke if K had successfully recruited another PG? We'll never know of course, but now that Greg is dedicating himself to football I hope he is able to make the most of it and make up for lost time.

hq2
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey, he could still pull if off! Look what happened here with Matt Casell. He didn't play in college at all (behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart), and still managed to get a pro contract, and is now, after proving himself in New England, an NFL quarterback. Both Joe Montana and Tom Brady didn't do all that much in college due to injuries and late maturation, and look what they became. People forget that Paulus was once rated the best high school quarterback in the country. He has natural athletic ability, and with a Duke degree, he's smart enough to run a pro offense. If I were a pro program, with a little patience and for short money, I think they could develop him into a legitimate backup pro quarterback. Definitely worth some time and money for what could be a decent payoff.

CameronDuke
03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey, he could still pull if off! Look what happened here with Matt Casell. He didn't play in college at all (behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart), and still managed to get a pro contract, and is now, after proving himself in New England, an NFL quarterback. Both Joe Montana and Tom Brady didn't do all that much in college due to injuries and late maturation, and look what they became. People forget that Paulus was once rated the best high school quarterback in the country. He has natural athletic ability, and with a college degree, he's smart enough to run a pro offense. If I were a pro program, with a little patience and for short money, I think they could develop him into a legitimate backup pro quarterback. Definitely worth some time and money for what could be a decent payoff.

There are and have been plenty of great pro quarterbacks that have college degrees from institutions other than Duke. Peyton Manning graduated from Tennessee, Eli Manning from Ole Miss, Drew Brees from Purdue, etc...

The fact that he has A college degree is more of a point than it being from Duke.

hq2
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, but as everyone on this site knows, Duke is still Duke, one of the top 10 schools in the country! Paulus is no slouch. Give him a couple of seasons to work on it, and I could see him do it.

Kfanarmy
03-05-2010, 12:21 AM
a little bit on his Performance...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/paulus-is-center-of-attention-at-syracuse-pro-day/

formerdukeathlete
03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
a little bit on his Performance...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/paulus-is-center-of-attention-at-syracuse-pro-day/

From your link

"Paulus, who measured 6-foot-1½ and weighed 210 pounds, looked smooth running. He ran consecutive 4.89-second 40-yard dashes, which would have placed him just outside the top 10 among quarterbacks at the NFL Scouting Combine."

Also

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2010/03/paulus_dantley_and_owen_make_t.html

' The showcase was a chance for Paulus to air out what he’s described as his pumped up right arm, a limb that he hopes will earn him a shot in the NFL after just one season playing college football.

“I think today, some of the hard work showed off,” he said. “You work hard to be in this opportunity. Hopefully, we (Greg, Cam Dantley and Mike Owen) can get some positive feedback (from the scouts), keep building, keep getting better. When that (next) opportunity comes, hopefully we can take advantage of it.” '

The Syracuse Pro Day was closed to the media - so not yet a read on how well Greg threw. Leaked stats - 6-1.5 is taller than some thought (taller than at least 3 qbs at the NFL combine), 210 heavier, and two consecutive 4.89s are more than decent considering Greg's workouts have focused on adding strength, weight, and throwing. If Greg threw well, who knows, maybe even a late round draft pick? I imagine more will be written on this in the next day or so.

DevilHorns
03-05-2010, 11:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4962885