PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Sports Reporters - Lupica Parting Shot

mr. synellinden
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Did anyone see The Sports Reporters on Sunday? Mike Lupica's parting shot focused on Duke-UNC and, more specifically, how after last season's national title the popular sentiment that UNC/Roy Williams had reclaimed top dog status in the ACC, and Duke/Coach K were on the decline. Lupica discussed how this year has shown that Duke and Coach K are far from on the decline while UNC is having one of its worst seasons ever. Lupica is clearly a fan of Coach K and Duke, which would make him apparently one of the few at ESPN.

I am looking for a link and will post if if I can find it.

BlueDevilBaby
03-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Did see it. My favorite ESPN show. Very welcome comments from Lupica. About time someone said them.

rthomas
03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
He should have talked about the vagaries of having a great season (schedule, injuries, etc) and especially of getting to the final 4. It's so much skill and so much luck.

SFDukie
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
There's a big K bashing thread based on these Lupica comments at IC-all sorts of posters going through contortions to demonstrate how Williams is the superior coach. One poster wrote "Roy still owns K based on head to head"-and when I pointed out that K has a winning record, head to head, against Huck, all sorts of hilarity, ad hominems, and distractions ensued.

MHNOLADevil
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
There's a big K bashing thread based on these Lupica comments at IC-all sorts of posters going through contortions to demonstrate how Williams is the superior coach. One poster wrote "Roy still owns K based on head to head"-and when I pointed out that K has a winning record, head to head, against Huck, all sorts of hilarity, ad hominems, and distractions ensued.

Not fair throwing facts at the IC crowd.

duke4life32182
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Let people believe what they want. When its all said and done K will be the best coach in college basketball history. JMO

Billy Dat
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I would love to see that clip because I've been following Lupica for years and years and when he tends to mention Duke, it's usually some kind of barb. Bob Ryan's always been the Sports Reporter panelist who sings praises. I am glad to see Lupica coming to his senses ;^)

uncwdevil
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Mike Tirico has a very similar statement to Lupica's running periodically on ESPN Radio today.

Chard
03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I saw it as well. It was good to hear on such a respectable show. Especially given the recent success of the goats.

uh_no
03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Lupica is clearly a fan of Coach K and Duke, which would make him apparently one of the few at ESPN.

jay williams
jay bilas (sort of)
bob knight

to name a few

Rich
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
jay williams
jay bilas (sort of)
bob knight

to name a few

Hate to admit it, but I've never heard Hubert Davis say a disparaging thing about Duke. Don't know if he's a "fan," but I wouldn't lump him in with Stuart Scott, Doug Gottlieb, et al.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Hate to admit it, but I've never heard Hubert Davis say a disparaging thing about Duke. Don't know if he's a "fan," but I wouldn't lump him in with Stuart Scott, Doug Gottlieb, et al.

I would add Brad Dougherty to that as well, although I have not heard him in quite a while.

94duke
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I would add Brad Dougherty to that as well, although I have not heard him in quite a while.

Unfortunately, you will have to listen to NASCAR to hear him.

slower
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Brad is undoubtedly the classiest Tarhole of them all. Love the guy.

77devil
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Watch the gone in 60 seconds MD game right now on ESPN Classics. Brad is doing color. How refreshing.

loldevilz
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Hubert Davis definitely is a Duke hater. When Digger Phelps was trying to say that Duke could beat Syracuse on Game Day, Davis first tried to interrupt him, saying that Zoubek couldn't compete and then wouldn't stop laughing. It was really awful.

cspan37421
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
That's one time. I've heard Davis speak very positively about Duke's team in past seasons.

mph
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
That's one time. I've heard Davis speak very positively about Duke's team in past seasons.

He also made a very big deal out of K asking for the conch shell to removed in Miami. I don't remember his exact language, but it was something along the lines of it being weak and he kept coming back to it for several minutes. It might be my Duke ears but he seemed to be venting an inappropriate amount of animosity.

NYC Duke Fan
03-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Let people believe what they want. When its all said and done K will be the best coach in college basketball history. JMO

Sorry to disagree but when all is said and done, John Wooden will still be considered the best coach in college basketball history. Yes, I know that the NCAA tournement was vastly different then, but his performance as a coach in the tournement was unreal, never to be duplicated again.

It is absolutely nothing to take away from Coach K's brillance as a coach to say that John Wooden was the best coach in college basketball history.

There will be the argument that college basketball is vastly different when Wooden coached as compared to when Coach K coaches and it is impossible to compare them, but I think that the analogy of who is best baseball player of all time fits here. The answer that most baseball officianados give is Babe Ruth even though the way baseball was played in the 1920s is vastly different to how baseball has been played in recent decades.