PDA

View Full Version : Eve Carson

NYC Duke Fan
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
While this has absolutely nothing to do with Duke basketball , it is almost 2 years, ( March 5, 2008), since Eve Carson was brutally murdered.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of meeting Eve, she was the student body president at UNC and an avid UNC rooter. More than that she was a special young lady and I just thought I would remember her at this time on this Board.

superdave
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Has there been a trial/conviction yet?

wilko
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
If memory serves.... didnt the fellows accused of Eve's murder, arent they also somehow implicated in the murder of Duke's Abhijit Mahato?

Bluedog
03-01-2010, 03:09 PM

No, not yet. The 21-year old (Atwater) and 17-year old (Lovette) (at the time of the murder) are both facing state charges of murder, kidnapping, and more. Atwater is also being faced with federal charges and prosecutors want the death penalty. His lawyers just filed to have the federal charges dropped about a month ago saying, "the overriding reason that Mr. Atwater was indicted in federal court was that he was a young, black male accused of killing a young, white female."

http://www.wchl1360.com/details.html?id=13389

If memory serves.... didnt the fellows accused of Eve's murder, arent they also somehow implicated in the murder of Duke's Abhijit Mahato?

Yes, Lovette is being tried for Mahato's murder as well.

In any event, what a terrible tragedy indeed and act of senseless violence. She seemed to be loved by many, and continues to be missed by many.

91_92_01_10_15
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM

There's a brief note on that in this recent N&O article. It only says that they have been charged.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/02/25/356589/unc-ch-to-dedicate-eve-carson.html

Oh, beat me to it. Sorry.

DukieInKansas
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
From something posted on another board, it appears they have sent out questionnaires to potential jurors for the trial - not sure if it is the state or federal trial.

Continued condolences to her family and friends, as well as the family and friends of Abhijit Mahato.

CameronBlue
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
From something posted on another board, it appears they have sent out questionnaires to potential jurors for the trial - not sure if it is the state or federal trial.

Continued condolences to her family and friends, as well as the family and friends of Abhijit Mahato.

It is for the state I'm reasonably certain; my sister-in-law who lives in Lee County received one. I have rental property (tenants include Duke grad students) within 100 yards of the Anderson St. Apartments where Abhijit Mahato was murdered and have wrestled with the troubling thought that it could've been one of my tenants. The trial will be tough on the victims' families, yes, condolences to them.

Raleighfan
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
While this has absolutely nothing to do with Duke basketball , it is almost 2 years, ( March 5, 2008), since Eve Carson was brutally murdered.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of meeting Eve, she was the student body president at UNC and an avid UNC rooter. More than that she was a special young lady and I just thought I would remember her at this time on this Board.

Well, in a very indirect way it does have something to do with Duke WBB....yesterday at half-time of the Duke-UNC game, a male a cappella group (whose name escapes me at the moment), joined by Chancellor Holden Thorp himself, performed "Goin' to Carolina in my Mind". Although nothing was said about Eve Carson, I recall that this was reportedly one of her favorite songs and was sung by this group at her memorial service in Chapel Hill.

Newton_14
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Great post and my condolences as well. Very special young lady by all accounts and such a senseless murder.

I will follow the trials closely and really hope they are both found guilty and get their just punishments..

YourLandlord
03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I can't think about this without becoming uncontrollably angry.

Seriously unbelievable. Fills me with fury. I hope they both enjoy capital punishment, and that it may serve as a warning to further such violence in the Triangle.

NYC Duke Fan
03-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Well, in a very indirect way it does have something to do with Duke WBB....yesterday at half-time of the Duke-UNC game, a male a cappella group (whose name escapes me at the moment), joined by Chancellor Holden Thorp himself, performed "Goin' to Carolina in my Mind". Although nothing was said about Eve Carson, I recall that this was reportedly one of her favorite songs and was sung by this group at her memorial service in Chapel Hill.

If it was any way directed for her, it was a very classy move.

diablesseblu
03-02-2010, 05:33 AM
If it was any way directed for her, it was a very classy move.

I'm certain that the group that performed was UNC's award winning "Clef Hangers". They also sing it at every UNC commencment. Chancellor Thorp also sang this song with them last year when the first anniversary of Eve's death was commemorated.

On another note re Eve and the Clefs. Eve was a Morehead Scholar and every upperclass Morehead is assigned an incoming scholar to mentor. Eve's assignee, a wonderful young man from a small town in NC, was just elected president of the student body at UNC. He's also a Clef....(one who auditioned for the group during the spring of his senior year in high school).

Must have been few dry eyes in Carmichael.

moonpie23
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
I can't think about this without becoming uncontrollably angry.

Seriously unbelievable. Fills me with fury. I hope they both enjoy capital punishment, and that it may serve as a warning to further such violence in the Triangle.

as it does for me.....i am opposed to the death penalty, it seems to let them off easy. Surely we can come up with more creative ways for the perpetrators to pay for their heinous transgressions.

when i saw the ATM photo of the accused, and then read the reports of what actually happened, i was filled with the same fury.....

and not to be a downer here, but, I'm saddened that the outpouring of grief for Abhijit Mahato was so disproportionate...

Raleighfan
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm certain that the group that performed was UNC's award winning "Clef Hangers". They also sing it at every UNC commencment. Chancellor Thorp also sang this song with them last year when the first anniversary of Eve's death was commemorated.

On another note re Eve and the Clefs. Eve was a Morehead Scholar and every upperclass Morehead is assigned an incoming scholar to mentor. Eve's assignee, a wonderful young man from a small town in NC, was just elected president of the student body at UNC. He's also a Clef....(one who auditioned for the group during the spring of his senior year in high school).

Must have been few dry eyes in Carmichael.

It was indeed the "Clef Hangers" and even though I'm no fan of Tar Heel athletics, I was touched by this performance.

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Did dUNCE do anything to honor Duke's Abhijit Mahato?! Better yet, did DUKE do anything to honor Abhijit Mahato?! I never understood why Duke was so saddened by Carson, but seemingly didn't give a damn about the murder of one of Duke's very own...

Bluedog
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Did dUNCE do anything to honor Duke's Abhijit Mahato?! Better yet, did DUKE do anything to honor Abhijit Mahato?! I never understood why Duke was so saddened by Carson, but seemingly didn't give a damn about the murder of one of Duke's very own...

A memorial Service was held at Duke.

http://abhijit.mahato.pratt.duke.edu/memorial_services

Also, established a fellowship in his name.

In memory of Mahato, twenty-nine, who was originally from Tatanagar, India, Duke has established the Abhijit Mahato Memorial Fellowship to provide financial support to an international graduate student who is studying engineering. Preference in awarding the fellowship will be given to a student from India.

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/issues/050608/depgaz2.html

For Eve Carson, there was a moment of silence before Duke-UNC game and students wore Carolina blue ribbons.

UNC didn't do anything for Abhijit Mahato that I know of....

blueprofessor
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Good question. I believe the answer is that nothing whatsoever was done to commemorate Mahato's life by UNC ,but someone may shed light to the contrary.
I do recall that K and his staff did take heat from some wingnut UNCers for not wearing the ribbons some were displaying (UNC staff, many Duke students) at Cameron during the game---this despite the moment of silence for Ms. Carson before the game, which was quite a tribute for another school's fan in Cameron.
Certainly the Duke student's life should have been so honored.

Best--Blueprofessor:)

P.S. Does anyone know if we will be subjected to the woofing of the UNC Robinson scholars at the game Saturday?
One obnoxious UNC student who had sneaked into the game (dressed in Duke gear) stood in front of us in 2006 and got in my family's and my face the entire game.Reminded me of a Maryland fan. Rude person.:(

Highlander
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
According to the Charlotte Observer, Demario James Atwater, one of the defendent's in the murder trial pled guilty in federal court to avoid the death penalty. He still faces the possibility of the death penalty in state court, but he agreed to life in prison without the possibility of parole. His accomplice is still awaiting trial, but given that he was a minor at the time of the incident he is not eligible for the death penalty.

Interestingly enough, the Carlson family is against the death penalty.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/19/1385889/demario-atwater-pleads-guilty.html

4decadedukie
04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
When a felon is only approximately twenty years old, life in prison (NC or Federal) without the possibility of parole can obviously be a VERY long time. I hope the decades spent incarcerated provide an opportunity for atonement – in part – for their heinous actions.

Rudy
04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I never understood why Duke was so saddened by Carson, but seemingly didn't give a damn about the murder of one of Duke's very own...
The main difference was Carson was student body president and more widely known than the graduate student Mahato.

In the stories about the Polish plane crash, the headlines and lead paragraphs said Poland's President died and listed his name, along with "scores of others".

Two years to get anywhere near a trial to produce this plea bargain? Wheels of justice move very slowly in NC.

Duvall
04-20-2010, 12:47 PM
The main difference was Carson was student body president and more widely known than the graduate student Mahato.

Well, that was *a* difference.

blueprofessor
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM

In the stories about the Polish plane crash, the headlines and lead paragraphs said Poland's President died and listed his name, along with "scores of others".

Two years to get anywhere near a trial to produce this plea bargain? Wheels of justice move very slowly in NC.

One life is as valuable as another life.
The Duke student should have received the same treatment from Duke students as the UNC student did from Duke students. Basic fairness for a fellow student.

Note I am not expecting that UNC would do as much (UNC did nothing) for our student as Duke did for their student!

Best regards--Blueprofessor

Highlander
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
One life is as valuable as another life.
The Duke student should have received the same treatment from Duke students as the UNC student did from Duke students. Basic fairness for a fellow student.

Note I am not expecting that UNC would do as much (UNC did nothing) for our student as Duke did for their student!

Best regards--Blueprofessor

Wasn't one of the defendents in the Carlson murder a suspect in Mahato's murder as well? Anyone know whether charges are still outstanding in that case? Seems like we're spending a lot of energy denigrating the media and UNC for not covering Mahato's death, but I haven't seen a single post discussing his legal case.

DevilHorns
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Sure that is a difference.

I would like to argue that a bigger difference is that Eve was a photogenic blonde southern girl. Those attributes receive incredible momentum in the local press, and that very momentum spills over into the greater public, even hitting national media outlets like ESPN etc. The media lives for one reason: ratings.

In a way, it became a "need" for Duke to acknowledge Eve's death (if they didn't there would have been a public outcry). That cannot be said of Mahato's death and UNC.

I am not taking anything away from Carson or Mahato. Both deaths are incredibly tragic.

I am very pleased to hear that Duke has started a scholarship in Mahato's name.

RockLobster
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Sure that is a difference.

I would like to argue that a bigger difference is that Eve was a photogenic blonde southern girl. Those attributes receive incredible momentum in the local press, and that very momentum spills over into the greater public, even hitting national media outlets like ESPN etc. The media lives for one reason: ratings.

In a way, it became a "need" for Duke to acknowledge Eve's death (if they didn't there would have been a public outcry). That cannot be said of Mahato's death and UNC.

I am not taking anything away from Carson or Mahato. Both deaths are incredibly tragic.

This is the credited response.

The world we live in is, unfortunately, sad and petty where we're valuing lives based on outward appearance.

Anyway, good thing that there's going to be a resolution to this case. I don't support the death penalty, but I'm glad that Atwater is off the streets.

Highlander
05-25-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/25/1456303/atwater-pleads-guilty-in-carson.html

Warning - there are details of the crime itself included, and they are a bit gruesome.

If you choose not to read, Atwater pled guilty to the murder of Eve Carlson in Orange County Superior court. He apparently gave his girlfriend critical details about the murder that fingered him as one of the killers. Mahato murder is mentioned as well, albeit briefly. As part of the plea deal, he will face life in prison without the possibility of parole in exchange for avoiding the death penalty or charges from Mahato's murder.

The state saves a ton of $ on a costly and lengthy trial (over 2M by one estimation). As has been mentioned before, Eve and the Carlson family is opposed to the death penalty, and their support would have been critical towards getting that sentence.

However, given Atwater's criminal history I hope he (at the very least) spends the rest of his life in jail.

allenmurray
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/25/1456303/atwater-pleads-guilty-in-carson.html

As has been mentioned before, Eve and the Carlson family is opposed to the death penalty, and their support would have been critical towards getting that sentence.

A large part of the decision on the part of District Attorney Woodall (a very good man) to not seek the death penalty was the desire of the Carson family. What a courageous family. Irrespective of anyone's beliefs on the death penalty, what they did took courage.

I am opposed to the death penalty as well, for reasons of my religous beliefs. However, I wonder if my own convictions would stand if my own child was killed - or if something that horrific would cause me to abandon my beliefs in favor of vengence. That they were able to continue to hold to their beleifs in the face of this tragedy takes a special kind of moral courage not often found. They have my highest respect.

vango
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Other side of the coin.

Avg NCDOC incarceration cost (today's rate): $26,955 (may be higher if he is closed inmate, but for arguments sake....

Avg. life expectancy: 75.5 years (U.S. Male according to U.N.)

Atwater's age: 18 at time of offense so I'm guessing 19/20 now.

Avg. cost to NC taxpayers to incarcerate: $1.5 million (at today's rate).

If the trial did cost $2 million, add 10 years to exhaust appeals (over a quarter of a million to house for 10 years), and it would be a financial wash considering the costs of incarceration go up every year. Of course, he is now taking up one more precious bed space that could be given to someone else.

I know it is a philosophical issue - but we're talking big $ here for a state with financial problems.

wilko
05-25-2010, 03:03 PM

YES!!
Thank you for having the onions to say what I was thinking. Having received infractions in the past I was gun shy in going this direction.

Perhaps if Mahato looked more like Padma Lakshmi or Reshma Shetty there would have something closer to equal billing.

moonpie23
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I am opposed to the death penalty as well, for reasons of my religous beliefs. However, I wonder if my own convictions would stand if my own child was killed

i have two children.....sam, 16 and stella rose, 3......when i weigh my on beliefs about the death penalty vs. vengeance, i find myself weighing a court sentencing vs. my own taking of the vengeance....

it's not pretty.....either way...

Jim3k
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
If the trial did cost $2 million, add 10 years to exhaust appeals (over a quarter of a million to house for 10 years), and it would be a financial wash considering the costs of incarceration go up every year. Of course, he is now taking up one more precious bed space that could be given to someone else.

I know it is a philosophical issue - but we're talking big $ here for a state with financial problems.

And that's assuming the prosecution would succeed in obtaining the death penalty at trial. If the sentence, after trial and guilty verdict, was life without parole, the financial result would be double what it is now -- cost of trial, appeals, etc., plus the cost of incarceration.

BattierBattalion
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Okay, I feel the need to speak out now, as a UNC grad (gasp I know, but I'm a hardcore Duke Basketball fan, even moreso than my friends who went to Duke).

I want to add some perspective here seeing how I was a student when this tragic event happened and was someone who worked closely with Eve during her SBP campaign.

I'm deeply sorry about Mahato, and no life is worth more than the other. The thing about Eve was that EVERYBODY knew her. After the basketball players, she was the most well-known student on campus even before becoming SBP. Yes, she's incredibly gorgeous, and it's a great story, but the fact is that everybody seemed to have some connection to her. In my four years at school, it was the most monumental event to happen. The murder happened right before Spring Break, but we didn't recovered for months (maybe years) afterward.

So, I'm sorry for the discrepancy in press coverage, but I think it just speaks more to how much of a loss Eve truly was to the UNC community.

moonpie23
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
worth of their lives is not really the dilemma, it's whether society is willing to take that life from them in return for the crimes they may be guilty of....

life itself can't be given back......to eve, or anyone else...

Poincaré
05-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Okay, I feel the need to speak out now, as a UNC grad (gasp I know, but I'm a hardcore Duke Basketball fan, even moreso than my friends who went to Duke).

More than any other part of your post, this caught my eye. Is there an interesting story here?

BattierBattalion
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
More than any other part of your post, this caught my eye. Is there an interesting story here?

Before college, I was a huge Duke fan. The run to the 2001 championship was one of my best sports memories (Miracle Minute, Evisceration of UNC in the ACC tourney, FF comeback).

I ended up at UNC, mainly for financial reasons. I realized while there that I was going to stay a Duke fan no matter what. (The UNC fan experience is as involving as movie about bar soap) At first I hid it, but came out with it by junior year. Interestingly enough, I knew quite a bit of Duke fans there. It more common than you might think.

Probably the funniest story related to this was during my freshmen year when I was watching a Duke-UNC game with some UNC friends. (I was hiding my Duke fandom at this point) Shelden Williams made this massive dunk, and I, emotionally-charged, let out a "YEAAAAAAAAAAA!". Everybody in the room turned and looked at me quizzically. I just meekly looked toward the TV, "Oh... hahahhaha, wrong team.... haha."

All this said, I really enjoyed my time there and have nothing against my alma mater other than the basketball team.

Kimist
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
One other fact that may not be known to folks is that getting a capital murder conviction in Orange County (Chapel Hill/Hillsborough) is a virtual impossibility.

There have been many heinous murders (including a teenager who was raped/assaulted/left to die tied to a tree) tried there, where the death penalty was not imposed. A UNC law school student took a walk through downtown Chapel Hill firing at folks with an M1 and killed two or three people. I believe he is now no longer in prison.

IIRC, the last capital murder conviction in Orange County occurred somewhere in the range of 70+ years ago.

(This is aside from the fact that even with a conviction, the death penalty itself would probably not be carried out for another 20 years.)

Many people ask that if these two crimes do not scream for the death penalty, then whatever does?!? For the lawyers in the crowd, there were definitely "aggravating circumstances" (torture) in the murder of the UNC student. The Duke student was apparently a victim of a robbery in his own residence.

k

The Gordog
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
A large part of the decision on the part of District Attorney Woodall (a very good man) to not seek the death penalty was the desire of the Carson family. What a courageous family. Irrespective of anyone's beliefs on the death penalty, what they did took courage.

I am opposed to the death penalty as well, for reasons of my religous beliefs. However, I wonder if my own convictions would stand if my own child was killed - or if something that horrific would cause me to abandon my beliefs in favor of vengence. That they were able to continue to hold to their beleifs in the face of this tragedy takes a special kind of moral courage not often found. They have my highest respect.

Agree with you 100% AM, although my reasons are not religious. I hope none of us has to face that dilemma.

allenmurray
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
One other fact that may not be known to folks is that getting a capital murder conviction in Orange County (Chapel Hill/Hillsborough) is a virtual impossibility.

There have been many heinous murders (including a teenager who was raped/assaulted/left to die tied to a tree) tried there, where the death penalty was not imposed. A UNC law school student took a walk through downtown Chapel Hill firing at folks with an M1 and killed two or three people. I believe he is now no longer in prison.

IIRC, the last capital murder conviction in Orange County occurred somewhere in the range of 70+ years ago.

(This is aside from the fact that even with a conviction, the death penalty itself would probably not be carried out for another 20 years.)

Many people ask that if these two crimes do not scream for the death penalty, then whatever does?!? For the lawyers in the crowd, there were definitely "aggravating circumstances" (torture) in the murder of the UNC student. The Duke student was apparently a victim of a robbery in his own residence.

k

You are correct that getting a death penalty in Orange County is virtually impossible. It seems that the community has decided on its standards.

Poincaré
05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Before college, I was a huge Duke fan. The run to the 2001 championship was one of my best sports memories (Miracle Minute, Evisceration of UNC in the ACC tourney, FF comeback).

I ended up at UNC, mainly for financial reasons. I realized while there that I was going to stay a Duke fan no matter what. (The UNC fan experience is as involving as movie about bar soap) At first I hid it, but came out with it by junior year. Interestingly enough, I knew quite a bit of Duke fans there. It more common than you might think.

Probably the funniest story related to this was during my freshmen year when I was watching a Duke-UNC game with some UNC friends. (I was hiding my Duke fandom at this point) Shelden Williams made this massive dunk, and I, emotionally-charged, let out a "YEAAAAAAAAAAA!". Everybody in the room turned and looked at me quizzically. I just meekly looked toward the TV, "Oh... hahahhaha, wrong team.... haha."

All this said, I really enjoyed my time there and have nothing against my alma mater other than the basketball team.
Kudos on surviving UNC with your loyalties intact. Thumbs up.