PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sagegrouse
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Hoo, boy! Duke vs. UMd for the top spot in the ACC. It will be senior day at Comcast Center for Greivis, Hayes and Milbourne. A Duke win clinches the regular season, and a Maryland win may well produce a tie. This place will be rocking!

Only a couple of questions this AM. You folks don't need a lot of fuel for this bonfire:

1. How and how well will Duke defend the perimeter against the Terps? Greivis has had huge second halfs the last month, while spending the first half getting others involved.

2. Can Zoubek repeat his earth-shaking performance against Maryland after a fairly quiet game at UVa? And will the Plumlees build on their success against the Hoos?

sagegrouse

jv001
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Hoo, boy! Duke vs. UMd for the top spot in the ACC. It will be senior day at Comcast Center for Greivis, Hayes and Milbourne. A Duke win clinches the regular season, and a Maryland win may well produce a tie. This place will be rocking!

Only a couple of questions this AM. You folks don't need a lot of fuel for this bonfire:

1. How and how well will Duke defend the perimeter against the Terps? Greivis has had huge second halfs the last month, while spending the first half getting others involved.

2. Can Zoubek repeat his earth-shaking performance against Maryland after a fairly quiet game at UVa? And will the Plumlees build on their success against the Hoos?

sagegrouse

I think the coaching staff knows the importance of keeping Elvis Greivis Vasquez in check. And that means not letting him get high assist totals as well as high point total. If we win this battle, we win the game.
Zoubs played ok against Va. He just didn't stay on the floor long enough to make much of a difference. I see the refs letting the guys play in this one because it's the biggest ACC game of the year. If that's the case I see us winning on the road and continuing our march toward post season play. Go Duke!

davekay1971
03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
1. Duke has seemed to have the answer for Vasquez. Smith and Scheyer both do a nice job on him. If he's on, he's definitely a guy you work on containing rather than stopping, but Duke has shown the ability to contain him. He's an emotional player, and he'll be amped up on emotion on Wednesday. That can work for him or against him. Hopefully it'll work against him.

2a. Zoubek matches up well against Maryland. They're a good team, but not a big one. He should be playing with a ton of confidence, given his performance against them in Cameron. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he could have another big night.

2b. The Plumlees...all I can say is I hope they build. They've been maddeningly inconsistent. So much physical ability and (at least in Mason's case) so much natural talent. Flashes of being game changers, then long periods of less effectiveness. I'll be rubbing my lucky rabbits foot and hoping for the best.

NSDukeFan
03-01-2010, 12:03 PM
1. Duke has seemed to have the answer for Vasquez. Smith and Scheyer both do a nice job on him. If he's on, he's definitely a guy you work on containing rather than stopping, but Duke has shown the ability to contain him. He's an emotional player, and he'll be amped up on emotion on Wednesday. That can work for him or against him. Hopefully it'll work against him.
I look forward to our perimeter defenders containing Vasquez again. I agree this is a big key to ruining an emotional senior night for him.

2a. Zoubek matches up well against Maryland. They're a good team, but not a big one. He should be playing with a ton of confidence, given his performance against them in Cameron. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he could have another big night.
I believe at the beginning of the year, the thought was that Zoubek only matched up well against big, immobile players e.g. Alabi, Pittman. It's great how this has changed and Zoubek can be expected to be effective against anyone, as long as he can stay on the floor.

2b. The Plumlees...all I can say is I hope they build. They've been maddeningly inconsistent. So much physical ability and (at least in Mason's case) so much natural talent. Flashes of being game changers, then long periods of less effectiveness. I'll be rubbing my lucky rabbits foot and hoping for the best.

I think many of us are hoping from another step forward for Miles and Mason as I think they have looked much better (though still some positioning and fouling issues) defensively the last few games. My wish list would also include a couple of threes to fall for Andre, whose defense has also improved in the last month. I expect we are going to be able to get some solid minutes from these three in the tournaments, though I am not counting on consistency.

gw67
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Duke has a big advantage in upfront size and the depth and quality of its’ players. Maryland’s primary advantage for this game will be its’ home court. They are also an excellent passing team. For the game to be competitive, the refs will have to call it close, particularly, on the offensive boards, and the Terps will need to spread the ball around and make shots. If the Devils can get 2-3 shots during several possessions, then the game will turn into a route.

The Devils help defense is the best in the ACC. That combined with their ability to take away the passing lanes makes it very difficult for an offense that highlights a perimeter player like Vasquez. IMO, for Vasquez to have a good game, he will need to play off the ball and restrict his one-on-one play to fast breaks; otherwise, it will be a bunch of one on two or one on three as he drives the lane. Maryland is a decent defensive team but they primarily rely on straight man-on-man. Their help defense is not nearly as good as Duke’s. This is a big disadvantage regarding Singler. All of the Maryland players who will likely guard Singler are 4-5 inches shorter and he should be able to shoot over them. I would expect a number of players to rotate guarding Scheyer and Smith on the perimeter.

gw67

moonpie23
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
went over to some of the turtles' boards....the fans are gearing up for duke, basically putting all their eggs in the Greivis/senior night basket.

they seem to be split on Zoub's effect on this game....some saying he's a nightmare matchup, others saying he just had a one-off great game against them at CIS..

let's hope brian has another game of dominance as he did in Cameron and the rest of the team stays focused and feeds the beast.

whereinthehellami
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Its all about stopping elvis and Duke has the tools to do it. I'd like to see Duke throw at least 3 defenders at Elvis. Get Lance some time on him to. The different looks will disrupt his rhythm and effectiveness.

camion
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I see this as our toughest remaining game prior the sweet 16. All other things being equal we are the superior team, but all other things aren't equal.

1. Maryland is playing at home.

2. We are their biggest rival while they are not our biggest rival.

3. Maryland needs this game more than we do.

We can win, but it will be a tough, tough game. I wouldn't place any bets on it.

Kedsy
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I see this as our toughest remaining game prior the sweet 16.

How about the ACC championship game (assuming we get there)?

CameronDuke
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I really, really see this as the toughest road game we have played all year. Frankly, the Maryland fans will be borderline criminal in this contest. Senior night, ACC Championship on the line, Vasquez's last game (who will most likely have his jersey hanging in the rafters at the Comcast Center one day), playing Duke, a 9 PM game....yada yada yada.

Simply put, the atmosphere alone is going to be a challenge in and of itself. More so than I think anyone realizes. I do think Duke matches up well with Maryland and I think the trio of Thomas, Singler and Scheyer can check Vasquez. The key will be can Zoubek give us 10 or so points inside and can he snag 10 or so rebounds. If we control the boards and don't let their 3-point shooters get hot (Hayes, Vasquez), I think we give ourselves a good shot to nail down a win. I really am not too concerned with many other people on their team besides Vasquez and Hayes; Milbourne will get his down low, but other than that, with the best defense in the ACC and agruably the nation, I think we keep most of the Terps in check. We MUST keep Vasquez from going off on Senior night, as well as Hayes. They get hot from 3-point range and start playing out of their bodies, it could be a long night for Duke.

We also could use their extra energy and emotion against them by withstanding their inital surge. If they get up big earlyand start playing out of their minds because of all the extra energy in the building (like this rivalry needs anymore), we must remain poised. Maryland has traditionally been a front running team. When they get up, they look like world beaters and when they get down, Gary curses out his assistant coaches up and down the bench. If we can withstand their initial blows and runs, and keep the game relatively close and can manage our energy well, I like our chances at win time. They are not unbeatable when they get up by double digits early (2001 National Semifinal game against them), or get up by double digits late (miracle minute in Cole Field House that same year in 2001).

Let's Go Duke.

camion
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
How about the ACC championship game (assuming we get there)?

If the brackets go true to form we probably get Maryland in the finals on a neutral court. I think playing at Maryland is tougher.

MChambers
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I really, really see this as the toughest road game we have played all year. Frankly, the Maryland fans will be borderline criminal in this contest. Senior night, ACC Championship on the line, Vasquez's last game (who will most likely have his jersey hanging in the rafters at the Comcast Center one day), playing Duke, a 9 PM game....yada yada yada.

Simply put, the atmosphere alone is going to be a challenge in and of itself. More so than I think anyone realizes. I do think Duke matches up well with Maryland and I think the trio of Thomas, Singler and Scheyer can check Vasquez. The key will be can Zoubek give us 10 or so points inside and can he snag 10 or so rebounds. If we control the boards and don't let their 3-point shooters get hot (Hayes, Vasquez), I think we give ourselves a good shot to nail down a win. I really am not too concerned with many other people on their team besides Vasquez and Hayes; Milbourne will get his down low, but other than that, with the best defense in the ACC and agruably the nation, I think we keep most of the Terps in check. We MUST keep Vasquez from going off on Senior night, as well as Hayes. They get hot from 3-point range and start playing out of their bodies, it could be a long night for Duke.

We also could use their extra energy and emotion against them by withstanding their inital surge. If they get up big earlyand start playing out of their minds because of all the extra energy in the building (like this rivalry needs anymore), we must remain poised. Maryland has traditionally been a front running team. When they get up, they look like world beaters and when they get down, Gary curses out his assistant coaches up and down the bench. If we can withstand their initial blows and runs, and keep the game relatively close and can manage our energy well, I like our chances at win time. They are not unbeatable when they get up by double digits early (2001 National Semifinal game against them), or get up by double digits late (miracle minute in Cole Field House that same year in 2001).

Let's Go Duke.

No doubt, I'm thinking this will be a very tough game. Hope Zoubs and Miles can stay on the floor, hope that Lance can hit 2 or 3 jumpers and get some offensive boards, hope Mason plays simply and efficiently, and hope Dawkins can hit a shot or two. Oh, and hope the big three have a good shooting night.

Underdog5
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
If we can force Vasquez into bad shots I think he could shoot them out of the game. He will not want to go quietly especially against Duke. I'm actually rooting for Milbourne since I hoop with some friend's of his family on the weekends but I CAN NOT face them if we lose! Would like to see our frontline come up huge on the glass as I agree this should be a huge advantage for us. Let's go Big Z!

77devil
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I was hoping MD would move up higher in the polls. Not that they need more motivation, but Gary will rant that the team is undervalued by the pollsters to further fire up his guys.

It's interesting how much difference there is in MD's ranking between the quants(Pomeroy and Sagarin) and the pollsters.

DUKIE V(A)
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
While I was very confident we would take it to the Terps at home, I think being on the road makes this a very close game...I am pretty nervous about this one...

Same keys as last game (and the last few times we have played them)...

1. Abuse them on the boards. I think Zoubs and Mason are very tough match-ups for them -- especially if we get J. Williams in foul trouble. Williams is their only decent size. I think Mason is going to be a beast in this game. Too big, too quick. If Mason and Zoubs get into foul trouble, we could be in trouble.

2. Force Hayes to put it on the floor. We have done a nice job of this the last couple seasons.

3. Make GV take a lot of shots to get his points. (Note: 41 points vs. Va Tech is very impressive, but he was 13-33 from the field.) He is not a great shooter. He'll get his 20 -- just make him take 25 shots to get it.

4. Limit the Terps' fast break. This will keep the crowd under control. I like our chances in a half court game as I think we can wear them down in this style.

Duke 78-74. Ultimately, we are the better team. It won't be easy this time though.

CDu
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
It could be a very tough matchup. If we can get back on defense, our life is a lot easier. Maryland LOVES to run, and Vazquez is at his best in transition. In the half court he's still tough, but we've shown we can defend him in that setting. Two keys will be winning the battle of the boards on both ends of the floor and preventing fast break opportunities.

sagegrouse
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Duke has two problems: (a) our shooting has been -- uh -- erratic, especially on the road. (b) Our suddenly effective big men have, at other times, been plagued with fouls.

Maryland has one much bigger problem: the matchup with Duke the past two years has been basically awful. Perhaps the three games in the past are not prologue, but I don't think the players have changed. Duke's big 3 are perimeter players, and as a whole, are better than Greivis, Hayes and Mosley, recognizing that Vasquez has the potential to go crazy at any time. Duke's interior players are bigger, more experienced, and probably more skilled than UMd's front line.

It's college hoops, and anything can happen. But Duke's success against the Terps has not been accidental.

sagegrouse

mgtr
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
No doubt, I'm thinking this will be a very tough game. Hope Zoubs and Miles can stay on the floor, hope that Lance can hit 2 or 3 jumpers and get some offensive boards, hope Mason plays simply and efficiently, and hope Dawkins can hit a shot or two. Oh, and hope the big three have a good shooting night.

That is a whole lot of hope. It doesn't always work out that well.:rolleyes:

cptnflash
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I was hoping MD would move up higher in the polls. Not that they need more motivation, but Gary will rant that the team is undervalued by the pollsters to further fire up his guys.

It's interesting how much difference there is in MD's ranking between the quants(Pomeroy and Sagarin) and the pollsters.

The polls have been an uphill battle for MD all year, because they did poorly in their pre-season tournament and put up a stinker at home against William & Mary. They've been a quant darling for weeks now, but so has the rest of the ACC (including us). Heck, according to Pomeroy there should be 5 ACC teams ranked in the top 25.

greybeard
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I expect to see a different screening scheme for Duke (that would be Zoubek) this game. I should think that, with a long time to work on how to attack what he saw at Durham, Gary will have defenders primed to know what to expect and how to deal with it.

The scheme against Maryland was unusual and very effective.

However it happens, Duke must get a significant contribution from its bigs on offense. Energy flows from that. The more recent games that means that Zoubek sets effect picks that leads to scores and winds up with easy lanes to the offensive boards. I look for Gary to try to take that away.

Kedsy
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
If the brackets go true to form we probably get Maryland in the finals on a neutral court. I think playing at Maryland is tougher.

You may be right. Personally I think @GaTech and @Clemson this year were tougher games than @Maryland will be, win or lose. Despite their record I think Maryland is the 5th best team in the ACC, and I will be surprised if they make the ACC final. The Terps remind me a little of that Virginia team when Singletary was a senior. An average team riding on the shoulders of one great player.

Plus, even if Maryland makes it, in my opinion the pressure of playing for the ACC championship makes it a tougher game than a regular season road game.

ReformedAggie
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
It will be tough, so what, bring it on.
Have every confidence that this team can handle whatever the twerps dish out. How sweet to ruin Senior Night and have the opportunity to demonstrate our poise, character, and determination. Great rehearsal for the NCAA. I can't wait. Go Duke.

mgtr
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
It will be tough, so what, bring it on.
Have every confidence that this team can handle whatever the twerps dish out. How sweet to ruin Senior Night and have the opportunity to demonstrate our poise, character, and determination. Great rehearsal for the NCAA. I can't wait. Go Duke.

I agree, but we have to remember that UNC will feel the same way about trying to ruin our Senior Night -- except for them it will be, at best, a rehearsal for that other tournament!:D

camion
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
You may be right. Personally I think @GaTech and @Clemson this year were tougher games than @Maryland will be, win or lose. Despite their record I think Maryland is the 5th best team in the ACC, and I will be surprised if they make the ACC final. The Terps remind me a little of that Virginia team when Singletary was a senior. An average team riding on the shoulders of one great player.

Plus, even if Maryland makes it, in my opinion the pressure of playing for the ACC championship makes it a tougher game than a regular season road game.

By "tougher" I mean "less likely for us to win." I don't see how we're less likely to win a game on a neutral court than one on the other team's home court. ACC tournament hype turns up the pressure for both teams so I don't see how it makes it "more tougher" for us than it does for the opponent.

Maryland may look like the fifth best team in the conference, but they will almost certainly finish two games ahead of the third place team if they lose to us. The record is what it is.

I hope sagerouse is correct about us being a bad matchup for them. I think we'll need that edge.

Devil07
03-01-2010, 05:37 PM
It could be a very tough matchup. If we can get back on defense, our life is a lot easier. Maryland LOVES to run, and Vazquez is at his best in transition. In the half court he's still tough, but we've shown we can defend him in that setting. Two keys will be winning the battle of the boards on both ends of the floor and preventing fast break opportunities.

Along those lines I think the kinds of shots we take on offense will be pivotal. Especially on the road, if we start taking rushed 3's that can generate long rebounds we're going to have a hard time slowing Maryland's transition. This is a veteran team, so I hope that they can avoid having the environment push them into rushing the offense and taking bad shots. Fortunately, they seem to have done a better job of this recently and have shown a willingness to try other things when the 3-ball isn't falling. Still, I do worry about a scenario where Duke starts pressing a bit offensively and forcing things. There's no better way for Maryland (and Vazquez in particular) to get going then to give them some momentum-building transition points. Like you said, keeping this to a half-court game is huge and I think a lot of that will have to start on the offensive end for us.

This game will be a great test for us. Not just in the basketball sense but in the emotional part of the game. The team really has seemed to grow as the year has progressed in our composure away from Cameron. I like our matchups with Maryland but really want to see how we counteract the emotional aspect of playing in such a high-stakes, high-intensity game on the road.

DeBlueDevil
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
The trip to College Park is never an easy one. I think the key to this game is basically to keep playing the way we have been as of late. We must knock down shots as we did on the road at UVA and just keep the crowd out of it.

It looks to me that Scheyer came out of his little shooting slump in the last game and I even saw a little "anger" and motivation on his face. Not that he hasn't always been motivated but I like the fire I saw in his eyes. Looking for a big night from Mr. Clutch J. Scheyer in this game and we get out of college park with a 74-65ish W.

Lets go Devils!

BD80
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Its all about stopping elvis and Duke has the tools to do it. I'd like to see Duke throw at least 3 defenders at Elvis. Get Lance some time on him to. The different looks will disrupt his rhythm and effectiveness.

I think Andre will get a few possesions guarding GV in the first half to see how he does. His length and athleticism might be a good match-up for short stretches.

I really, really see this as the toughest road game we have played all year. Frankly, the Maryland fans will be borderline criminal in this contest. Senior night, ACC Championship on the line, Vasquez's last game (who will most likely have his jersey hanging in the rafters at the Comcast Center one day), playing Duke, a 9 PM game....yada yada yada. ...

But it is a school night. I doubt many of the Maryland "students" would stay past halftime, if they were even to go out at all so late on a school night.

Back to reality. The key is for continued improvement. We didn't lose in February, so there isn't as much room for improvement as, say, carolina has.

We are working on getting Lance involved with a mid range shot that will be very helpful if we play a team that zones. Our defense continues to improve. Nolan is finding lanes to drive. Jon and Kyle seem to be finding their shots.

The real area we can improve is the bench. Coach K has really ramped up the PT for Andre, and it looks like he is giving the MPs a bit more leeway on the court. It seems to me that Andre is really "gettin it" and even though he may make mistakes, it is not the same stupid mistakes over and over again. He is working hard on defense. Miles seems to be getting back on track, not trying to do too much - I think in a way Mason was a bad influnce on him.

The key is, and has always been, Mason. While we can contend for a NC without Mason stepping up, it would take near perfect games for us to advance. If Mason takes a step up and becomes a significant contributor - we are a strong NC contender. And Mason seems to be right on the edge of "getting it." Coach K seems to be trying to allow him freedom on the offensive end, but within the team concept of "VALUE THE F@#&ING BALL" (that is a direct quote from Coach K).

Maryland at Maryland is a great game for us at this point. I think we will be focused - just a week away from tournaments, and the seniors see their season ending.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
One thing we have going for us is we probably won't be looking ahead to the UNC game so focus shouldn't be an issue. :D

This is very cliche, but let's hope we get off to a good start like the Virginia game (maybe not 20-4) so we can keep the crowd at bay. That place should be nothing short of insane. The fans in College Park have probably been looking forward to this since the beginning of the season. Hopefully Vasquez wil pull a DeMarcus Nelson and struggle for his senior day. :eek:

Waynne
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm going to the game. My son got tix, but he says we can't wear our Duke gear because we would be harassed and he doesn't want to get into a fight. Sad, isn't it?

We are the better team but I expect a very tough game. Most of our guys are going to have to bring their A games for us to win. Gary Williams has done a very good job this year (Ol' Roy should be taking notes), and the Terps seem to be peaking as the regular season draws to a close. Should be a great game with interesting subplots- 1st place in the ACC, Jon and Gervais duking it out for ACC POY, our young players in a high profile, high pressure game. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

91devil
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Is it fair to say that the Maryland fans will resort to their pre-game shenanigans and call the Duke team hotel all Tuesday night?

airowe
03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Is it fair to say that the Maryland fans will resort to their pre-game shenanigans and call the Duke team hotel all Tuesday night?

Hopefully, our guys will be smart enough to unplug their phones.

78Devil
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I find it interesting that there are umpteen posts about our being a No. 1 seed, and possible matchups, but not much on this game. Unless we win this, the rest is moot....

moonpie23
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM

i'd be willing to wager that every duke player has a cell phone.....just turn the hotel phones off...who needs a hotel room phone any more???

loldevilz
03-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I find it interesting that there are umpteen posts about our being a No. 1 seed, and possible matchups, but not much on this game. Unless we win this, the rest is moot....

some wise words

sagegrouse
03-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm going to the game. My son got tix, but he says we can't wear our Duke gear because we would be harassed and he doesn't want to get into a fight. Sad, isn't it?

Wear your Duke gear!

sagegrouse

Troublemaker
03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Maryland's patterned offense utilizes a lot of interior action (flex cuts and screening near the lane) that plays right into Duke's hands this season with all the size that we put on the floor and the very good help defense that we play. The Terps aren't like many smaller teams that prefer to spread people out and penetrate for scores and kickouts. They prefer to run their classic stuff and get interior shots; Milbourne and Mosley each average only a little over one 3-pt attempt a game and their center, Jordan Williams, not surprisingly does most of his work inside. It's a nice matchup for Duke's defense unless the Terps overhaul their offense before Wednesday's game to focus more on spreading us out (and even then, I'm not sure the Terps really have the quickness to beat Duke 1-on-1; I view them more as a team of well-coached overachievers than a team with much physical talent). Offensively, Duke also matches up well because the Terps are near the bottom nationally (320th) in defensive rebounding rate. Duke certainly did a great job taking advantage of that in the first meeting, especially Zoubek.

Schedule-wise, even though Maryland has an extra day to prepare (typical for Duke opponents this season), imo, that is more than offset by the fact that the Terps have played three consecutive emotionally exhausting games. Against GaTech, they had to win at the buzzer. Against Clemson, they had to come back from a 15-pt deficit. And against VT, they had to go two overtimes to win.

Now, Maryland has to deal with the emotions of Senior Night and playing for a share of first place? That is rough. I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland got off to a hot start and then petered out over the course of 40 minutes. The key for Duke is to maintain our poise if Maryland, fueled by the crowd, starts the game with a 14-4 run or something like that (which I'm confident Duke would be able to handle with our experience).

Senior Night can help the home team but it can also be detrimental. Duke has won six in a row in this series and these Maryland seniors have never experienced an ACC championship of any kind, tournament or regular season, co-championship or outright. The team and the crowd will both be starving for a win. There will be tons of pressure on Maryland in this game. It's no given that this atmosphere will turn into a positive for the Terps, and, in fact, I think it'll hurt them, especially in the second half if Duke makes a run and everyone wearing red tightens up a bit.

Overall, I don't go into many games liking the matchup from basically every angle. I like this matchup from a basketball standpoint, from a situational/schedule standpoint, and from an emotional/pressure standpoint. I'll be surprised and a bit disappointed if Duke doesn't emerge victorious. Maryland's best hope to win is to put together a Herculean effort on the boards and grab lots of defensive rebounds and shove it down Duke's throat on the fastbreak. But, again, can the Terps maintain the energy required to win the rebounding battle for 40 minutes, especially given all the exhausting games they've played recently and the need to ration their energy despite the emotions of Senior Night and playing their biggest rival?

loldevilz
03-02-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm hoping to see good passing and teamwork from the boys. This is something we could learn from the Terps because they are excellent at it and it is causing them to shoot a really high field goal percentage. Coach K has been really emphasizing teamwork lately because it will be critical to building a confident squad when the NCAA tournament starts up.

That said, I would love to see the lineup of Zoubs-Mason-Singler-Dawkins-Scheyer again. I thought they worked excellently together last game. Obviously I hope that Smith starts playing a bit more conscientiously not just shooting the ball better. The offensive rebounding slipped a bit last game presumably because there were less offensive rebounds to be got but I think that our rebounding in general wasn't the best it has been. On defense I can only hope for an effort equal to that of the last game against the Terps.

pfrduke
03-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Maryland's patterned offense utilizes a lot of interior action (flex cuts and screening near the lane) that plays right into Duke's hands this season with all the size that we put on the floor and the very good help defense that we play. The Terps aren't like many smaller teams that prefer to spread people out and penetrate for scores and kickouts. They prefer to run their classic stuff and get interior shots; Milbourne and Mosley each average only a little over one 3-pt attempt a game and their center, Jordan Williams, not surprisingly does most of his work inside. It's a nice matchup for Duke's defense unless the Terps overhaul their offense before Wednesday's game to focus more on spreading us out (and even then, I'm not sure the Terps really have the quickness to beat Duke 1-on-1; I view them more as a team of well-coached overachievers than a team with much physical talent). Offensively, Duke also matches up well because the Terps are near the bottom nationally (320th) in defensive rebounding rate. Duke certainly did a great job taking advantage of that in the first meeting, especially Zoubek.

Schedule-wise, even though Maryland has an extra day to prepare (typical for Duke opponents this season), imo, that is more than offset by the fact that the Terps have played three consecutive emotionally exhausting games. Against GaTech, they had to win at the buzzer. Against Clemson, they had to come back from a 15-pt deficit. And against VT, they had to go two overtimes to win.

Now, Maryland has to deal with the emotions of Senior Night and playing for a share of first place? That is rough. I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland got off to a hot start and then petered out over the course of 40 minutes. The key for Duke is to maintain our poise if Maryland, fueled by the crowd, starts the game with a 14-4 run or something like that (which I'm confident Duke would be able to handle with our experience).

Senior Night can help the home team but it can also be detrimental. Duke has won six in a row in this series and these Maryland seniors have never experienced an ACC championship of any kind, tournament or regular season, co-championship or outright. The team and the crowd will both be starving for a win. There will be tons of pressure on Maryland in this game. It's no given that this atmosphere will turn into a positive for the Terps, and, in fact, I think it'll hurt them, especially in the second half if Duke makes a run and everyone wearing red tightens up a bit.

Overall, I don't go into many games liking the matchup from basically every angle. I like this matchup from a basketball standpoint, from a situational/schedule standpoint, and from an emotional/pressure standpoint. I'll be surprised and a bit disappointed if Duke doesn't emerge victorious. Maryland's best hope to win is to put together a Herculean effort on the boards and grab lots of defensive rebounds and shove it down Duke's throat on the fastbreak. But, again, can the Terps maintain the energy required to win the rebounding battle for 40 minutes, especially given all the exhausting games they've played recently and the need to ration their energy despite the emotions of Senior Night and playing their biggest rival?

Not that you need my validation, but this is a really excellent analysis. All I'll add is that I think Vasquez, not surprisingly, is the X-factor. He may just have a "hop on guys, I'll carry us to the win" kind of game in him. After three years of being less impressed with his play than most, I couldn't be more impressed with the way he's reformed his game this season. He's much more efficient, he's shooting the ball much better, and he's managed to channel his emotions into productive, rather than destructive, outputs.

We match up with this Maryland team extremely well. We actually match up with Vasquez extremely well. But every once in a while, good players have one of "those games." And if he has one on Wednesday, there may simply be not a lot we can do about it. Of course, if he has one of "those games" and we still win, I'll be extremely happy with where we're at right now. Extremely. Contenders beat good teams even if the good team's player has a great game.

gw67
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I'll second pfr. That was an excellent analysis by troublemaker. For the Terps to prevail, they need to shoot well and protect the ball AND hope that Duke has an off shooting night. As one who roots for both teams, I hope that both teams play well and that it is a close competitive game.

gw67

whereinthehellami
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM

I went to a Midnight Madness at the Comcast Center a few years ago and was amazed at the hatred for Duke. I'm glad I didn't wear any Duke gear. This event had nothing to do with Duke and their were just tons of **** Duke chants and shirts. I felt bad for the alums with kids that were there.

Good point Troublemaker.

dukelifer
03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland got off to a hot start and then petered out over the course of 40 minutes. The key for Duke is to maintain our poise if Maryland, fueled by the crowd, starts the game with a 14-4 run or something like that (which I'm confident Duke would be able to handle with our experience).

I agree- This will be a game about poise under pressure. Maryland will have runs and may be on top for a portion of the game. But Duke needs to keep it close and make clutch shots and free throws at the end. This game will be pressure packed and a good test for the Devils. The bad thing about this game is the late start. Hard to get to sleep right after a game like this- regardless of the outcome.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Regardless of who plays who, I have a feeling this will be the most exciting tourney (ie most upsets, not complete chalk, very close games, high seeds losing out) in a long time. I know, even before I see the official brackets, that I'm going to have lots and lots of upsets. As Bilas and others have said, the NCAA is down this year overall (ie no great teams) and that will lead to some crazy upsets.

Here's to Duke not belonging to one of those upsets!

GO DUKE!

moonpie23
03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
and that it is a close competitive game.

gw67

ummm.....not so much......

everyone says, "don't you want a good close, exciting game?" and i say. "no, i like those 30 pt blowouts"..
:eek:

-jk
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM

everyone says, "don't you want a good close, exciting game?" and i say. "no, i like those 30 pt blowouts"..

So long as we're handing them out. Not much fun on the receiving end.

-jk

moonpie23
03-02-2010, 09:02 AM

So long as we're handing them out. Not much fun on the receiving end.

-jk

ok, well...DUH......thank you jk...i suppose that wasn't clear...

i meant to say, I LIKE DUKE TO WIN IN 30 PT BLOWOUTS...

there....:)

BlueDevilBaby
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Wear your Duke gear!

sagegrouse

I've always worn my Duke gear when attending games at MD - never had a problem. Of course, I don't sit near the students.

MChambers
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I'll second pfr. That was an excellent analysis by troublemaker. For the Terps to prevail, they need to shoot well and protect the ball AND hope that Duke has an off shooting night. As one who roots for both teams, I hope that both teams play well and that it is a close competitive game.

gw67

Thanks to troublemaker, pfr, and gw67 for making me feel better. gw67, I know you follow the Terps, so I give your views particular weight.

Still, Duke has had its share of off shooting nights this year. Historically, however, we've shot pretty well at Maryland, and Zoubs, for whatever reason, has been very effective against Maryland in his career.

Skitzle
03-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I will never be able to watch another Duke Maryland game at the Comcast Center without thinking of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLHEUkNOgE

strawbs
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I will never be able to watch another Duke Maryland game at the Comcast Center without thinking of this.

my all time favorite dunk! It was a really impressive dunk, in that only a great athlete would be able to twist his body like that and throw it down. But the icing on the cake is his reaction.
I break out a huge smile every time i see that clip!

KyDevilinIL
03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I hate to over-emphasize a regular-season game in regard to NCAA Tournament prospects, but I can't shake the feeling that this is the game when we reveal our true preparedness for a postseason run. We've been improving, sure, but we haven't had the sort of landmark victory that demonstrates that the team that laid an egg at Georgetown is truly history.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team, but some questions certainly linger. A close, competitive loss is one thing, but if MD kinda handles us tomorrow (which, frankly, I'm bracing myself for), those questions become doubts for me.

Games like this one, in the last week of the regular season, with an ACC title at stake and a possible No. 1 NCAAT seed in play, is where the rubber meets the road. I'm excited about the possibilities, but this is going to be a war the likes of which I don't know if our guys have experienced yet this season.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Maryland is having a hell of a year. Not denying that. With the talent that they have (which isn't that much and Greivis can be shut down), they win game after game. Heart, passion, teamwork, effort - that's basically how they beat teams more talented than they are.

Duke is more talented that Maryland, no questions asked. But Duke also plays with the energy, heart, teamwork, and effort that Maryland plays with. Plus, we have excellent defenders in Nolan and Jon who can shut down a player like Greivis. If that's the case - wouldn't talent win given these two teams?

Thus, why are there a fair amount of posters worried? Compared to any other game, there is clearly more jitterbugs for this game than most.

Whilst I will have butterflies in my stomach before the game, I am currently confident that we will win. And I have faith that our Blue Devils will prove me right.

Delaware
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM

sagegrouse

Other than Z getting in a bit of foul trouble against UVA, my observation was that UVA picked their poison on the defensive end and hedged hard/switched much less when Z and the other bigs set high ball screens, thereby limiting the offensive rebounds Duke got (look at the box score compared to some of the big OReb games in the past few). This, I think allowed for better looks from our perimieter players (witnessed by some higher shooting percentages from Kyle and Jon) but did not leave room for OReb's and put backs by Big Z.

Not sure how MD will play on the defensive end (agressive hedge and switch and potentially give up another big game from Z rebounding) or more passive (hopefully allowing for a great shooting performance from our perimter). I'm hoping for the latter as I want Jon to go off for 30+ and sew up the ACC POY in favor of Vasquez in the Duke victory!

jv001
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Maryland is having a hell of a year. Not denying that. With the talent that they have (which isn't that much and Greivis can be shut down), they win game after game. Heart, passion, teamwork, effort - that's basically how they beat teams more talented than they are.

Duke is more talented that Maryland, no questions asked. But Duke also plays with the energy, heart, teamwork, and effort that Maryland plays with. Plus, we have excellent defenders in Nolan and Jon who can shut down a player like Greivis. If that's the case - wouldn't talent win given these two teams?

Thus, why are there a fair amount of posters worried? Compared to any other game, there is clearly more jitterbugs for this game than most.

Whilst I will have butterflies in my stomach before the game, I am currently confident that we will win. And I have faith that our Blue Devils will prove me right.

Agree to the point, that if we play our best and they play their best, we win. Now if we play poorly and they play near their best, we're in trouble. I look for our experience to make the difference in what will be a very hostile enviroment. Family and friends of Duke all I can say is duck. Things could be coming your way. Go Duke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Family and friends of Duke all I can say is duck. Things could be coming your way. Go Duke!

And for those watching at home, cover your ears.

NSDukeFan
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM

I agree with most of what you are saying, as I certainly believe Duke is a more talented and better team. If we were to play on a neutral floor, I would expect Duke to beat Maryland at least 8 out of 10 times. As far as on the road, where Duke has a 5-4 record (someone correct me if I am wrong), against the clear #2 team in the ACC on their Senior night, I am not as confident and can understand why some have their guards up. I think we will win as I have been very impressed with the team's consistent effort this year, and don't see our big 3 getting rattled, even if we get down.

Durhamrocks68
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
No doubt that this is a big game, but I'm hoping our boys play loose and not get sucked into the hype. We're a lock for a high-seed in the tourney and having a very good season. That will not be lost if we go down. The crowd will be nuts, but I think the pressure will be on the Terps (Senior Night, ACC 1st place and Vasquez last game). This reminds me of the last few season ending games with Carolina (especially JJ's last game), where I felt they played looser and looked like they had no pressure on them and ended up winning in a hostile environment. Would like to see that approach tomorrow night. Just play hard and let the chip fall where they may!

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2010, 12:10 PM
This reminds me of the last few season ending games with Carolina (especially JJ's last game), where I felt they played looser and looked like they had no pressure on them and ended up winning in a hostile environment.

Ummmm....JJ's last game was to Carolina at home...and we lost. Against Hansblahlblah and co. I'm not sure where you get loose from. I like relaxed - not such a big fan of the loose.

Durhamrocks68
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I meant that the pressure for this game is, imho, on the Terps. This is what I felt I witnessed during JJ's last game where UNC played looser than Duke and Duke lost. I know JJs last game was a loss at Cameron against the "Holes (I was there) and it was one of the toughest home losses I've experienced over 30 years of going to games at Cameron. I may have used poor wording in my original post, but I'm hoping Duke plays like the "Heels (can't believe I just typed that) did in JJ's last game (loose and no pressure). Hope that makes sense!

-jk
03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
What's over/under on damages in the postgame (win or lose) riot? :)

-jk

91devil
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM
What's over/under on damages in the postgame (win or lose) riot? :)

-jk

In U.S. dollars or Venezuelan bolivars?

noyac
03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I think this game will go similarly to the Duke @ UNC game from this year. UNC had all the pressure in the work on their shoulders to win that game and they hung around for awhile but the better team (Duke) showed what makes them great and we won.

This game is very similar IMO it is a must win for Maryland and it is senior night. Maryland is definately more talented than UNC this year and I expect them to stick around longer. I think the last five minutes of the game we pull away and win by 7-10 points and our free throw shooting makes it a no doubter in the final 2 min.

78Devil
03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I am very encouraged by a number of the upbeat posts here. I hope you are right, and that we are a good matchup.

I just felt so burned by some of our road losses this year, especially those where it wasn't clear that the team even showed up mentally, that I just find myself not able to feel any degree of optimism. I hate feeling like that, however, and I promise the basketball gods that if we win this one, I will have more faith!

airowe
03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I am very encouraged by a number of the upbeat posts here. I hope you are right, and that we are a good matchup.

I just felt so burned by some of our road losses this year, especially those where it wasn't clear that the team even showed up mentally, that I just find myself not able to feel any degree of optimism. I hate feeling like that, however, and I promise the basketball gods that if we win this one, I will have more faith!

I'm starting to have a little more faith after reading some posts as well. I'm usually very optimistic about Duke's chances before a game but I've had this one pegged as a loss since the schedule came out. I'd love to be absolutely convinced we're going to win so if you have some stats, intangibles, or gut feelings to help sway me into thinking we will win this game please do so.

I have another question though which has been brought up on this board already. Would it better for us to go ahead and get a loss here? I know its Maryland, but does anyone expect us to go on a 19-game win streak to get the title? I know you play to win the game (Hi, Herm) but I think a loss either tomorrow night or sometime in the ACC tourney might do us some good for the Big Dance...

CrazieDUMB
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I have another question though which has been brought up on this board already. Would it better for us to go ahead and get a loss here? I know its Maryland, but does anyone expect us to go on a 19-game win streak to get the title? I know you play to win the game (Hi, Herm) but I think a loss either tomorrow night or sometime in the ACC tourney might do us some good for the Big Dance...

Nah - I think it would be much better for the team's confidence to win the ACC season outright. Also, I don't buy the idea that a loss motivates a team to work harder, because I don't think effort has ever been a problem for Duke under K. If anything, a loss would just suggest that this team isn't as good as we think.

Another statistical note here: a 19 game streak is only unlikely before it starts. Because most of those wins are behind us, they aren't going to influence the future possibility of winning our next 11. If anything, it just shows that we're peaking at the right time and our chances of winning 11 maybe going up (if you're a Bayesian)

noyac
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
...I have another question though which has been brought up on this board already. Would it better for us to go ahead and get a loss here? I know its Maryland, but does anyone expect us to go on a 19-game win streak to get the title? I know you play to win the game (Hi, Herm) but I think a loss either tomorrow night or sometime in the ACC tourney might do us some good for the Big Dance...

I think Coach K focuses on the winning the game they are playing not the next one or keeping streaks alive. I think if we were to lose before the NCAA alot of if it benefits us or not depends on what type of loss it is.

Bad losses can work for against a team just a close losses can. It all depends how the players and coaches take it. I find solace in the fact that Coach K is a great coach and no matter what type of loss it is he will use it to motivate the players to play better.

I don't like talking about losses anymore let's focus on what it takes to beat Maryland and win our next 11 games and a NCAA Championship

sagegrouse
03-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Winning begets winning, saith the humble Sage Grouse.

Your question reminds me of the old-time baseball announcers who would say that a batter was "due" because he had gone 0 for 20. No such thing. If anything, a batter in a slump is less likely to get a hit than his career average would suggest. Of course, the announcers knew that; they were just trying to give the fans some hope.

I'd be more confident of our NCAA chances going into the tournament with a 30-4 record as opposed to a 29-5 record or worse.

sagegrouse

airowe
03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Nah - I think it would be much better for the team's confidence to win the ACC season outright. Also, I don't buy the idea that a loss motivates a team to work harder, because I don't think effort has ever been a problem for Duke under K. If anything, a loss would just suggest that this team isn't as good as we think.

Another statistical note here: a 19 game streak is only unlikely before it starts. Because most of those wins are behind us, they aren't going to influence the future possibility of winning our next 11. If anything, it just shows that we're peaking at the right time and our chances of winning 11 maybe going up (if you're a Bayesian)

I somewhat agree, but I'm not talking about statistical issues here, I'm talking between the ears. I don't see this team losing any effort but rather that a loss may enable our guys the opportunity to refocus and absorb the lessons being taught by the coaching staff better (especially the young ones.). I don't buy into the theory completely, but there is some circumstantial evidence to prove that a loss may be beneficial to a team that is used to winning's longterm success. I don't see confidence as an issue for this team, but Coach K is wonderful at getting a team to respond after a loss.

CrazieDUMB
03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I somewhat agree, but I'm not talking about statistical issues here, I'm talking between the ears. I don't see this team losing any effort but rather that a loss may enable our guys the opportunity to refocus and absorb the lessons being taught by the coaching staff better (especially the young ones.). I don't buy into the theory completely, but there is some circumstantial evidence to prove that a loss may be beneficial to a team that is used to winning's longterm success. I don't see confidence as an issue for this team, but Coach K is wonderful at getting a team to respond after a loss.

I see what you're saying, but I think at this point confidence is much more important than X's and O's. For the most part, our offense is set and our defense is strong. I think our only real weakness (four-in one-out sets that move the ball effectively to put our defenders that guard the passing lanes way out of position) has already been effectively fleshed out by Gtown and NC St. I doubt another beatdown at the hands of this problem would do much good for refocusing our team; if we can't fix that by now, we won't be able to fix it in the next three weeks.

loldevilz
03-02-2010, 03:25 PM

The only reason a loss would be good is if it resulted in some changes or tweaks. For instance, early loses resulted in the change to the motion offense. It is too late to make any major adjustments, and the boys are just starting to think that maybe they have a shot at winning this thing. I really don't think a loss is going to help them...especially when the major problem with this team is confidence.

airowe
03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
The only reason a loss would be good is if it resulted in some changes or tweaks. For instance, early loses resulted in the change to the motion offense. It is too late to make any major adjustments, and the boys are just starting to think that maybe they have a shot at winning this thing. I really don't think a loss is going to help them...especially when the major problem with this team is confidence.

Is it though? I haven't spent any time in close proximity to Jon or Kyle but judging by the way they play n the court, I'd say they are anything but extremely confident. Look at Zoubs on the floor out there, screaming NO! while he blocked the shot in Charlottesville. Lance is VERY confident. Shoot, even Andre was doing the Lance clap thing when he was guarding UVA's point guard.

These guys do not lack confidence. I don't think a loss will shake the belief in themselves. I honestly think a loss in the tourney might light an extra little fire under them (and give them some time to rest.)

By no means am I advocating losing a game on purpose, but I honestly think there are ways it could be beneficial. Maybe make the younger guys realize that much more that one loss in the NCAA Tourney will end Jon, Lance, and Brian's careers one game earlier. Maybe hurt so bad that Nolan and Andre spend another hour after they get home from a roadtrip in the gym. Maybe make it clear to Mason and Miles that their ability to stay on the court is crucial to the team's postseason success.

Maybe I'm just trying to make excuses for a loss I think will happen on Wednesday. Where's that convincing me we were going to win? :cool:

ojaidave
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Is it though? I haven't spent any time in close proximity to Jon or Kyle but judging by the way they play n the court, I'd say they are anything but extremely confident. Look at Zoubs on the floor out there, screaming NO! while he blocked the shot in Charlottesville. Lance is VERY confident. Shoot, even Andre was doing the Lance clap thing when he was guarding UVA's point guard.

These guys do not lack confidence. I don't think a loss will shake the belief in themselves. I honestly think a loss in the tourney might light an extra little fire under them (and give them some time to rest.)

By no means am I advocating losing a game on purpose, but I honestly think there are ways it could be beneficial. Maybe make the younger guys realize that much more that one loss in the NCAA Tourney will end Jon, Lance, and Brian's careers one game earlier. Maybe hurt so bad that Nolan and Andre spend another hour after they get home from a roadtrip in the gym. Maybe make it clear to Mason and Miles that their ability to stay on the court is crucial to the team's postseason success.

Maybe I'm just trying to make excuses for a loss I think will happen on Wednesday. Where's that convincing me we were going to win? :cool:
The thing is, I don't think we lack anything a loss could highlight. It isn't like we're coasting in games only to play hard once we're down. This team plays hard start to finish. I also don't think we're overly confident, so a loss wouldn't temper a bad attitude.

This team is what it is. As long as Zoubs doesn't regress, we've got a solid, top-ten team that can do plenty of damage in March. We're good to go. If Andre starts hitting more regularly, or one (or both) of the Plumlees elevates their game, then that'll make us that much better.

This will be a great test for this team. I can't wait.

slower
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
1. Zoubs rebounding like an ANIMAL (one with opposable thumbs, obviously)

2. Mason going to the short runner/jumper as an unstoppable move

3. Nolan passing a little better to open men

4. Kyle continuing to work his man down low

yada yada yada

Kedsy
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM

If a team manages to be undefeated going into the post-season tournaments, I think there is too much pressure and a late-regular season loss could be helpful to loosen the team up. Similarly, if a team is overconfident, thinking all they have to do is show up for the last 10 minutes and they'll win, a late-regular season loss can bring them to their senses.

Absent one of those two situations, a long winning streak is better for confidence. I don't see any real positive coming out of a loss tomorrow.

So, that settled, let's go up there and win!

MulletMan
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
"I'm from Maryland! No one can beat me!" -NCM

Oh really?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2008-01/34871813.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

airowe
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
If a team manages to be undefeated going into the post-season tournaments, I think there is too much pressure and a late-regular season loss could be helpful to loosen the team up. Similarly, if a team is overconfident, thinking all they have to do is show up for the last 10 minutes and they'll win, a late-regular season loss can bring them to their senses.

Absent one of those two situations, a long winning streak is better for confidence. I don't see any real positive coming out of a loss tomorrow.

So, that settled, let's go up there and win!

I'm clearly not good at this devil's advocate thing. Do you think there is a good loss for this team at this point in the season? Tomorrow? Sometime next weekend? Never to carolina...

-bdbd
03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm starting to have a little more faith after reading some posts as well....

Winning is ALWAYS better than losing.

What is in the past - the preceding win streak - does not matter. So at this juncture we're not talking about a 19-win streak. We have, optimally, 11 more games. Let's win those 11 (especially the last six!). At this point that's all that matters.

The rest is silly superstition. Like the baseball player and other analogies, it doesn't matter if the coin came up 'tails' in the last four tosses -- the odds of 'heads' this next time are STILL roughly 50%. No such thing as "getting a loss out of your system."

:)

Devil07
03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm clearly not good at this devil's advocate thing. Do you think there is a good loss for this team at this point in the season? Tomorrow? Sometime next weekend? Never to carolina...

Regular season loss? For this team I'd say no for the reasons that Kedsy said. This team doesn't need to be taught a lesson and they're flying under the radar right now so there's no winning streak monkey on their back.

I think you'd have a better argument suggesting that maybe a loss pre-championship game in the ACC tournament can be a good thing since it gives a team a bit more pre-NCAA tourney rest. I'd say this only applies if it won't hurt seeing (which this year it might). There clearly are two camps on this one and for what it's worth Coach K is definitely in the camp that wants to win the ACC tournament. He likes for his teams to get that championship feeling and really since only one team wins the NCAA tournament, it's great to have a championship to celebrate. Roy Williams (this year aside) would seem to lean in the opposite direction. I think there's merits to both but generally I side with Coach K's you get better by playing motto and so I personally would love to see us win out including the tourney. But I do think that at least in that regard there's room to argue that an early loss can be useful in some regards. That being said, if you're going to play all the way to the championship game you might as well win it.

MarkD83
03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
It is best not to think about winning streaks because right now every game has a championship or a significant accomplishment attached to it.

Md - Outright ACC Regular Season Championship
UNC - Most wins at home in a season (and a few other important aspects)

Qtr finals of ACC - Get to the semis
Semis of ACC - Get to the final
Final - Win an ACC Championship

etc.

mgtr
03-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I am all in favor of "one game at a time" as long as we win those games!!!

MartyClark
03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think there are any good losses left this late in the season, especially for this team. One can certainly make an argument that a loss is good for a team that is not practicing hard, concentrating during the game etc. This team, from what I can see, does not have those problems. I see no value in a late loss to Maryland or North Carolina.

On the other hand, a late loss is not fatal ( with the exception of this fan who simply can not take another loss to North Carolina at home).

mgtr
03-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, maybe I don't understand all the niceties of this argument, but I don't think there is ever a "good" loss. In my world, a loss is bad, and is always to be avoided. I think that the use of "good" referring to a loss is just rationalization.

Hermy-own
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I think there can be good losses, but only if a team needs it. Our team doesn't need its confidence bubble burst, it doesn't need extra motivation to play hard, and it doesn't need a change in tactics. At least as far as I can see. So full steam ahead, and hopefully there are no losses to get out of our system.

One team that probably did benefit from getting a loss or two was Kentucky - a team that is severely overrated in my opinion. They are young, and probably after being the last undefeated team, way too overconfident. I bet the loss to South Carolina helped them a lot. And they just lost again, I guess we'll have to see how they respond.

It's pretty clear that getting that loss didn't help #1 Texas.

airowe
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Alright, so everybody thinks we should win then? ;)

Newton_14
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
The only reason a loss would be good is if it resulted in some changes or tweaks. For instance, early loses resulted in the change to the motion offense. It is too late to make any major adjustments,

Actually, with Coach K at the helm, the bolded part of your post is not exactly true. In 2001 at this exact time in the schedule and against Maryland no less, Boozer broke his foot and we lost the game to Maryland on Senior night in Cameron.

Coach K stayed up all night long, and starting the next day put in a totally new offense, radically different than the offense they had been playing all year. End result of that of course was not losing another game the rest of the year and bringing home all of the post season gold.

Not that this team needs any major changes but it is not too late to implement new things if Coach feels a need to do so.

As for this game, I am nervous mainly because of how well Maryland has played at home, but I am also confident that our guys are up to the challenge and can get it done tomorrow night. We just need to exploit Maryland's like of size and punish them all night long in the paint...

billy
03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by 91devil:
Is turnabout fair play?

i'd be willing to wager that every duke player has a cell phone.....just turn the hotel phones off...who needs a hotel room phone any more???
I seem to remember some heel players tweeting that they were getting texts from terp fans last month...

ScreechTDX1847
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't know. I was talking with some UM fans and they don't believe that it can really be considered a rivalry either based on the Ws and Ls.

I mean it was hot and heavy for a minute but I'm not ready to give UM fans the satisfaction that we even consdier them a rival.:D

ice-9
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Let's not jinx things going into Wednesday's game...

Kedsy
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM

I don't. Not at this point.

snowdenscold
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
"I'm from Maryland! No one can beat me!" -NCM

Oh really?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2008-01/34871813.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Every time I see this pic I think it's photoshopped... but it's linked to baltimoresun.com so maybe it's legit after all?

gep
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I just saw on ESPN Sportscenter... Doug G. himself picked Duke over Maryland. I hope he's right:D

gumbomoop
03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
I hate to over-emphasize a regular-season game in regard to NCAA Tournament prospects, but I can't shake the feeling that this is the game when we reveal our true preparedness for a postseason run. We've been improving, sure, but we haven't had the sort of landmark victory that demonstrates that the team that laid an egg at Georgetown is truly history.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team, but some questions certainly linger. A close, competitive loss is one thing, but if MD kinda handles us tomorrow (which, frankly, I'm bracing myself for), those questions become doubts for me.

Games like this one, in the last week of the regular season, with an ACC title at stake and a possible No. 1 NCAAT seed in play, is where the rubber meets the road. I'm excited about the possibilities, but this is going to be a war the likes of which I don't know if our guys have experienced yet this season.

I like the vibes in this analysis, esp:

reveal our true preparedness
need landmark victory
title and seed at stake
rubber meets road
likes of which not yet experienced

These well-chosen phrases summarize the tension we all feel. I'm betting both teams are almost as excited as we are. Fanatics united, great week, Madness vibes. We're lucky.

-bdbd
03-03-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't know. I was talking with some UM fans and they don't believe that it can really be considered a rivalry either based on the Ws and Ls.

I mean it was hot and heavy for a minute but I'm not ready to give UM fans the satisfaction that we even consdier them a rival.:D

As I keep telling my Terp friends, "Rival" is singular. Our RIVAL lives 8 miles away in Chapel Hell. Lot's of history, emotion, familliarity and, dare I say, mutual respect. MD lives 260 miles away, the history with them is "occasional" at best - usually in short spurts when MD has had some decent teams for a few years, but then slumps back down again.

They are our greatest challenge in the ACC this year, as they were in the 2000 - 2003 era, but that doesn't make them our RIVAL. Full stop.

BTW, while I don't LIKE the NC@CH fans, I truly have pure disdain for most of the MD ones and their vulgar, uncreative chants, plus throwing coins and batteries at players in play, throwing (full) soda bottles at the families of the players immediately behind the Duke bench/injuring them, and the ever-present threat of yet more riots in College Park. Their last-in-the-ACC school/academics rank doesn't help, especially with Gary averaging around a 20% graduation rate in recent years. (Wow, you really have to TRY to be that bad!)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

loldevilz
03-03-2010, 01:23 AM
I feel like there can't really be a rivalry between Duke and Maryland because there is no respect...seriously they have no respect. I "hate" UNC fans...I actually hate Maryland fans.

ice-9
03-03-2010, 05:07 AM
I don't think we need a loss at this point of the season.

Our seniors are already sick and tired of hearing about the late season fade and the bad NCAA tournament losses. They are geared and ready to go. All they need to do if they need to relight a fire at this point of the season is to think about previous years and what it felt like to lose to Villanova, WVU and VCU.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Got myself psyched up for the game tonight by watching the classic Duke/Mary College Park matchup in 2001 on youtube yesterday. Still gives me chills to see how stone cold Jason Williams was. What a smooth player.

Tonight begins the stretch-run for our Blue Devils. I feel so good about the development this team has shown throughout the season. They've been incredibly enjoyable to watch and still have room for growth over these last weeks of the season. Can't wait to see where the ride takes us from here.

GO DUKE!

gw67
03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Their last-in-the-ACC school/academics rank doesn't help, especially with Gary averaging around a 20% graduation rate in recent years. (Wow, you really have to TRY to be that bad!)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-bdbd,

Your hatred runs deep regarding the Maryland fans, the students and grads, the school itself, the players and their coach! So be it. Many of their fans are idiots but, personally, I wouldn't paint the entire school based on a few overzealous basketball fans.

Based on their quotes, it certainly appears that the coaches and players don't harbor such strong negative feelings toward one another, although I'm sure that each wants to beat the other very much.

I may be wrong but I believe that all seniors for the past three years have graduated. This year, all four seniors are on schedule to graduate according to their radio color man and one is a"Lafrak" scholar (Burney). The poor grad rate was almost entirely the result of the 2-3 classes that came in after championship. Most grads, including my wife and some close friends, were embarassed by that and the basketball progam got a boot in the pants to correct things, which apparently, they have done.

gw67

roywhite
03-03-2010, 09:48 AM
-bdbd,

Your hatred runs deep regarding the Maryland fans, the students and grads, the school itself, the players and their coach! So be it. Many of their fans are idiots but, personally, I wouldn't paint the entire school based on a few overzealous basketball fans.

Based on their quotes, it certainly appears that the coaches and players don't harbor such strong negative feelings toward one another, although I'm sure that each wants to beat the other very much.

gw67

gw, you represent the Terps very well. Wish there were more Maryland fans like you. I agree on the mutual respect, especially between Gary Willams and Coach K; it's seemed like a warm friendship over the last few years.

I lived in the Baltimore area in the mid-1980's, still have close friends there, and attended 2 Duke--Maryland games at Cole. Got hassled pretty good; not a pleasant experience, and one of my buddies has gotten into a fistfight with a Terps fan. So I don't have good feelings for the Maryland fans.

And I really didn't like that pick that Dave Neal set on Nolan Smith last year. I'd love to see Nolan have a huge game tonight.

KShip21
03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I have to say that, along with some others on this board, I am very optimistic about tonight's game. My reasoning is the ACC is obviously down this year, with the exception of 1 team, and I think we show that during the game tonight. The matchups in this game are still the same no matter where the game is played. We are bigger, more experienced, and more talented. With all that said, we still have to go out there and play our game, and I think K will have everyone just as fired up as the terps will be. There is a championship to play for, its not just another game.

Maryland is not unbeatable at home. They were down double digits to Clemson last week before making a comeback to win. We all know Clemson is prone to give up big leads. If they allow us to get a double digit lead tonight, its over. I think we see a very similar game to the one in college park last year (without Nolan getting knocked out, and a thunderous dunk by G in response). The game will be close most of the way, and we will pull away towards the end with great D, ball protection, and free throw shooting. Duke by 8. Go Devils!!!

gw67
03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
roywhite,

Thanks for the nice words. I am a big fan of the basketball teams at both schools and when they play one another I just sit back and enjoy the game. The better the game the more I like it.

The DBR site is the best college basketball site on the internet. I would never try to defend the Devils on the Maryland fan site. The strong put downs I would receive from many would not be worth it. I've posted here for many years and I continue to enjoy the discourse and the civility of the posters and moderators. I understand the dislike for the Terps and their coach from the dark side. I just try to add my thoughts on their team while keeping the emotion in check.

I regret that I missed some of the season and did not post for a few months because of serious family health problems but the situation is back to normal and I am looking forward to a deep run in the NCAAT for the Devils.

By the way, I noticed that there were some posts by "james". Is that James Armstrong from early DBR days?

gw67

Neals384
03-03-2010, 11:04 AM
As I keep telling my Terp friends, "Rival" is singular. Our RIVAL lives 8 miles away in Chapel Hell. Lot's of history, emotion, familliarity and, dare I say, mutual respect. MD lives 260 miles away, the history with them is "occasional" at best - usually in short spurts when MD has had some decent teams for a few years, but then slumps back down again.

They are our greatest challenge in the ACC this year, as they were in the 2000 - 2003 era, but that doesn't make them our RIVAL. Full stop.

Agree completely.

I’m from out west where rivalries are pretty clearly defined. In the Pac-10, the Northern CA schools are rivals, the Southern CA schools are rivals, and the WA, OR and AZ schools have in-state rivals. So, my mind set is, you can’t have two rivals. Maryland will never be Duke’s one-and-only rival.

Why isn’t the ACC also set up with clear rivalries? Because you have a conference where four schools have no in-state rival. Also because you have recently-added schools (anything less than 20 years) who haven’t had time to develop a multi-generational rivalry. Let’s try anyway:

Duke – UNC
Wake – NC St
Miami – FL State
VA – VA Tech

Then I guess we have no choice but to match

BC - Maryland
Clemson - GA Tech

wgl1228
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I think it will be close until about ten minutes in. At that point Duke will pull away and not look back. I think we're a bad matchup for them and our size will be the difference. I will also predict a player of the game in Nolan Smith.

geraldsneighbor
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
For those of you looking to get the blood pumping a little early on tonight's game, enjoy:

Henderson Dunk on UMD last season:

Duke by 40 in CIS last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fPuYZCG2M

Duke's starting lineup gets introduced last year at the Comcast Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AydItrf898s&feature=related

and of course... The Miracle Minute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

Daniel tosh
03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Just in case you guys didn't know Duke vs. Maryland 2001,on ESPN Classic 5:00 eastern time.

just_wondering
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.celebratescholarships.umd.edu/celebration/showScholarship.php?main_id=281

-bdbd,

I may be wrong but I believe that all seniors for the past three years have graduated. This year, all four seniors are on schedule to graduate according to their radio color man and one is a"Lafrak" scholar (Burney). The poor grad rate was almost entirely the result of the 2-3 classes that came in after championship. Most grads, including my wife and some close friends, were embarassed by that and the basketball progam got a boot in the pants to correct things, which apparently, they have done.

gw67

duke4life32182
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
This could end the ACC season right here. Lets go Duke. Get em Z. Then we can take care of some business on Saturday.

moonpie23
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
i don't despise maryland. I like gary and a lot of md players (except farmer blake) and i don't think their fan base despises duke.

greveis is one of my favorite players ever (except against duke)

i do respect them, so i know it's prolly gonna be a battle tonight....

i think this duke team is ready for it tho......

go duke !!

jv001
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
As Coach K would say "Focus" guys. Our experience, talent and coaching staff should spell the difference. No scoring prediction from me. I learned my lesson(NC State game). Go Duke!

Kedsy
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
i don't despise maryland. I like gary and a lot of md players (except farmer blake) and i don't think their fan base despises duke.

I agree with most of what you said, but in my observation the Maryland fan base really does despise Duke. Even the casual fans. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law both went to Maryland and I have met other Terp grads through them. They don't froth at the mouth or anything and they're civil during conversation, but they all despise Duke.

Kedsy
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Agree completely.

I’m from out west where rivalries are pretty clearly defined. In the Pac-10, the Northern CA schools are rivals, the Southern CA schools are rivals, and the WA, OR and AZ schools have in-state rivals. So, my mind set is, you can’t have two rivals. Maryland will never be Duke’s one-and-only rival.

Why isn’t the ACC also set up with clear rivalries? Because you have a conference where four schools have no in-state rival. Also because you have recently-added schools (anything less than 20 years) who haven’t had time to develop a multi-generational rivalry. Let’s try anyway:

Duke – UNC
Wake – NC St
Miami – FL State
VA – VA Tech

Then I guess we have no choice but to match

BC - Maryland
Clemson - GA Tech

Not sure it works that way. There are few mutual rivals in the ACC. Duke/UNC, and maybe Virginia/Virginia Tech. There are some one-way rivalries: Duke is Maryland's rival, but not vice versa. UNC is NC State's rival, but not the reverse. Plus some of our schools have rivals from outside the conference. I don't know the vagaries enough to say this with any confidence, but I was always under the impression that Florida State's rival was Florida and Clemson's rival was South Carolina. I assume BC's rival is some New England school. Not sure who Wake, Georgia Tech, and Miami consider to be their rivals.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
They don't froth at the mouth or anything and they're civil during conversation, but they all despise Duke.

Second. They absolutely hate Duke. Having lived in DC for a bit and going to visit College Park from time to time, they absolutely hate Duke.

I don't like Maryland either, but they do have one of the most underrated coaches in basketball. If he could recruit better, he would consistently, and not every 4 years or so, compete for ACC championships and Final Fours. He is the opposite of Ole Roy - he does so much with so little talent.

loldevilz
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Second. They absolutely hate Duke. Having lived in DC for a bit and going to visit College Park from time to time, they absolutely hate Duke.

I don't like Maryland either, but they do have one of the most underrated coaches in basketball. If he could recruit better, he would consistently, and not every 4 years or so, compete for ACC championships and Final Fours. He is the opposite of Ole Roy - he does so much with so little talent.

There is something wrong with Williams' recruiting, but he makes up for it with good development of players. Overall their basketball program is fine. But the fans are the worst in all basketball IMO. I would not be surprised if they threw stuff on the court this year. I can't forgive them for chanting FU JJ, or that nasty Duke Sucks Youtube video. At least we have so many great wins over them through the years. Even if its not the miracle minute or that 40 point whipping last year, I hope we can ruin their senior night with a solid win.

Lord Ash
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Uhhh... beg to differ, there. Maryland fans hate Duke more than Carolina fans hate Duke. The hatred is insane.

YourLandlord
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Not sure it works that way. There are few mutual rivals in the ACC. Duke/UNC, and maybe Virginia/Virginia Tech. There are some one-way rivalries: Duke is Maryland's rival, but not vice versa. UNC is NC State's rival, but not the reverse. Plus some of our schools have rivals from outside the conference. I don't know the vagaries enough to say this with any confidence, but I was always under the impression that Florida State's rival was Florida and Clemson's rival was South Carolina. I assume BC's rival is some New England school. Not sure who Wake, Georgia Tech, and Miami consider to be their rivals.
BC - BU
Georgia Tech - Georgia (how did you forget this one??)
Miami - FSU+FL

KShip21
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Uhhh... beg to differ, there. Maryland fans hate Duke more than Carolina fans hate Duke. The hatred is insane.

The Maryland hatred stems from complete jealousy and them being "not our rival." There is much more respect betweeen UNC and Duke, and hatred stems from pure rivalry

Steve68
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Third. I lived in the DC area for 30 years and I can tell you that the hatred toward Duke runs deep. I stopped going to games at Cole because of the abuse (both verbal and physical) that my wife and I experienced there. I went to my son-in-law's MBA graduation at the Comcast Center and both the Dean of the Business School and the main speaker bad-mouthed Duke during their addresses - nobody else, just Duke. I've gone to parties where Maryland fans, once they find out I'm a Duke graduate, will turn their backs and not speak to me again. They seem to have an inferiority complex and for some reason they take it out on Duke. The rivalry between Duke and carolina also runs deep and can get emotional - however, nothing compares to the venom that comes toward Duke from Maryland fans. There, I feel better now.

moonpie23
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
"i hate the russians cause i hear they hate me"..

..........john mellencamp - Mister President

Kedsy
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
BC - BU
Georgia Tech - Georgia (how did you forget this one??)
Miami - FSU+FL

Well, I was under the impression Georgia's big rival is Alabama, so I wasn't sure whether GaTech considered Georgia their biggest rival. But in retrospect you're probably right.

slower
03-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Third. I lived in the DC area for 30 years and I can tell you that the hatred toward Duke runs deep. I stopped going to games at Cole because of the abuse (both verbal and physical) that my wife and I experienced there. I went to my son-in-law's MBA graduation at the Comcast Center and both the Dean of the Business School and the main speaker bad-mouthed Duke during their addresses - nobody else, just Duke. I've gone to parties where Maryland fans, once they find out I'm a Duke graduate, will turn their backs and not speak to me again. They seem to have an inferiority complex and for some reason they take it out on Duke. The rivalry between Duke and carolina also runs deep and can get emotional - however, nothing compares to the venom that comes toward Duke from Maryland fans. There, I feel better now.

I wonder if the Duke/Md. relationship would be different if Gary wasn't so, um, "high-strung". How much do the Md. fans feed off of Gary's psycho act?

Vasherized
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
We've been previewing some of the big games across the country as conferency tourneys approach @marchtomarch.

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/03/03/duke-vs-maryland-preview/

And here are a few stories we've written on Duke in the last few weeks regarding Coach K's impressive mid-season changes to put the Blue Devils in in contention for a #1 seed.

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2010/02/15/bedeviling-without-a-point-guard/

We'd love to hear your thoughts. This seems to be one of the most knowledgeable Duke boards we've found. Originally we started covering the Big 12 and have branched out to the Big East and the ACC. So go easy if we screw up Scheyer's sister's boyfriend's Mom's favorite Duke player from the 80's. :)

BD80
03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
This may be emblamatic of why MD hates us so, but whenever I see "Duke/MD" I think of a Medical Doctor with a Degree from Duke.

SideNote: I was delighted to receive notice today that my Divers Insurance (Dive Assure) has entered into an agreement with the Duke Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Environmental Physiology. So maybe Duke MDs were on my mind.

sagegrouse
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I wonder if the Duke/Md. relationship would be different if Gary wasn't so, um, "high-strung". How much do the Md. fans feed off of Gary's psycho act?

I don't think at all. I think the culprit is the UMd administration, athletic and academic, that refuses to crack down on anything. The F--- JJ t shirts, for example, were deemed protected speech.

I would simply refuse entry to the game to anyone weearing such garbage, and then see how many undergrads can pony up the scratch to file a lawsuit on such a ridiculous case.

Neither Gary nor anyone else has ever really tried to stifle the crowd. No "Uncle Terry" letter. No Coach K at the mike saying, "act with class." K even squelched a GTHC chant after the national championship in Minneapolis in 2001.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse

gwwilburn
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
KenPom is giving Duke a 61% chance of winning, while ESPN has Duke's chances of victory in the 40's. Hopefully Pomeroy prevails!

SupaDave
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, I was under the impression Georgia's big rival is Alabama, so I wasn't sure whether GaTech considered Georgia their biggest rival. But in retrospect you're probably right.

Georgia - Georgia Tech. Alabama - Auburn.

GODUKEGO
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
-bdbd,

gw67

Attached is a link on Maryland's site for Academic Honors. I thought this was odd for a university of higher education that graduates 10% of their basketball players. The last member was in the 2000-2001 school year. Notice the names, they are also some of Maryland's top players.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-bask...ic_honors.html

Graduation rates:
http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rate...s_Bball_PR.pdf

sagegrouse
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Here's verse #2 of the Ramblin Wreck, Tech's fight song:

Oh! If I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do--
He would yell, 'To hell with Georgia!' like his daddy used to do.

sagegrouse

RoyalBlue08
03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree with all the posters that say that Maryland fans despise Duke. Every Maryland fan I have ever know despises Duke. I'm not sure if it is more than UNC despises Duke, but they could well be equals in this regard. What I don't understand is why. UNC has clear reasons. The schools are 8 miles apart. One is public, one is private. UNC is largely attended by NC residents, and Duke draws more from the Northeast, and there is that residual "yankee hating" that still is a big part of NC culture. Why does Maryland hate Duke? Other than we happened to be good during their most recent glory days? I honestly don't get it.

lpd1982
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
One of my sons just got an unexpected invite to the game and as a Duke fan sitting a few rows behind the Duke Bench he said he was 'escorted' down to his seat. Speaks volumes about the environment.

basket1544
03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Just because Maryland thinks it's a rivalry doesn't mean that Duke has to recognize that relationship. I think the best example of that is Texas' football rivalry. Texas/Oklahoma is the big football rivalry unless you went to Texas A&M and then you consider the rivalry between UT and A&M to be the biggest. It depends on your perspective.

riverside6
03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=3845

fisheyes
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Great Fans those MD fans....F--- you Scheyer. What class :mad:

Son of Mojo
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Great Fans those MD fans....F--- you Scheyer. What class :mad:

Beat me to it. Gary could show some class, get on the PA, and tell them to knock that off. We've got to get over this cold start asap.

YourLandlord
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
What was that Scheyer chant? I assume it was something quite vulgar.

Also, I enjoyed the comment that Vasquez has been the "Face of the program" for the last several years.

Yikes, what an ugly face.

RoyalBlue08
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Maryland starts game on 10-2 run and they are already cutting down the nets. Maybe getting a little ahead of ourselves?

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:17 PM
The shooting...UGH (ly)!

Karl Hess :mad:

grossbus
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh no, not one of THOSE shooting nights. :(

dukebballcamper90-91
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Glad this game was a late one so my son could not hear the f shy chants

dairedevil
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
will give us a chance to fix something...

Yes, a 3 by Kyle! Now, just make some stops and rebounds!

Kfanarmy
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
will give us a chance to fix something...

Yes, a 3 by Kyle! Now, just make some stops and rebounds!

looking like Georgetown game so far, not hitting, MD getting everything to go in....

juise
03-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Maryland is playing like Maryland plays at home. This should not be shocking. We need to absorb the blow and ship away at the lead. Turning up the defense wouldn't hurt, but their shooting is killing us more than defensive mistakes.

DownEastDevil
03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Jon and Nolan not at the game yet!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Apparently, these refs have never seen a foul by an MD player - Jon's been mugged and Andre just got fouled on that 3 attempt

bl33dblu3
03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
not exactly calling a tight game. need to freakin get on some perimeter defense

darkblue2769
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Not to put all of the blame on the refs (we've missed open shots and been a little lax on D), but I don't see how we can win this game if it keeps getting called this way.

YourLandlord
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooubek!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Whatever happened to Zoub's hand does not look good :(

RoyalBlue08
03-03-2010, 09:38 PM
The most disturbing thing I see in this game is the confidence Maryland is shooting the ball with and the hesitant way Duke is playing offense. Duke is passing up alot of open shots (mostly 3s) and instead driving into traffic. Maryland is shooting anytime they see daylight, and they aren't missing either.

dairedevil
03-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Hope it's nothing serious. Poor guy, has been hurt every year of his career at Duke.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
The most disturbing thing I see in this game is the confidence Maryland is shooting the ball with and the hesitant way Duke is playing offense. Duke is passing up alot of open shots (mostly 3s) and instead driving into traffic. Maryland is shooting anytime they see daylight, and they aren't missing either.

Well, we can't shoot at all, so I'd rather have us taking higher % 2's than 3's. I actually like to see us taking it into the lane. Of course, the refs are calling about 25% of the fouls that are occurring though.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
All I can say is that I'm glad it's the first half - don't think MD can keep up this ridiculous shooting % all game. If they do, they deserve to win - simple as that

RoyalBlue08
03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Well, we can't shoot at all, so I'd rather have us taking higher % 2's than 3's. I actually like to see us taking it into the lane. Of course, the refs are calling about 25% of the fouls that are occurring though.

I really hope this isn't what is going through the players heads' or we have no chance in this game.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Get well soon zoo, i mean quick

darkblue2769
03-03-2010, 09:46 PM

I'd actually rather see us keep shooting the 3. I know that's often not a popular opinion here, but I really don't think driving (which isn't really working either, tonight) when there is an open 3 is a good choice, regardless of how well we're currently shooting.

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
If we cut it to 5 by halftime, we'll be fine.

S/N: ooooh my first post! Hehe

dairedevil
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
But when Maryland can' miss, the rebounding opportunities aren't there. Let's hope that they can't keep this 60% shooting the whole game.

DukeDevilDeb
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Zoubs has a dislocated finger.

dairedevil
03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd actually rather see us keep shooting the 3. I know that's often not a popular opinion here, but I really don't think driving (which isn't really working either, tonight) when there is an open 3 is a good choice, regardless of how well we're currently shooting.

There's a 3! I just want to keep on scoring, and making a stop, steal or two.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
what a play kyle

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM

I'd rather get the 3 the old fashioned way - nice move by Kyle!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
These refs SUUUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
And we're within 5.

Speaking of zone, did anyone read that ESPN Insider article on Syracuse's zone defense? It was pretty good, more colleges should use it.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah baby! Nice shot Jon!!!! and a 3 no less!

bl33dblu3
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
.....and just like that all the sins of the refs and our bad perimeter d are erased

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not one of those people who thinks Jay is anti-Duke or whatever, but I can't believe that he mentioned the Plumlee contact at the end of the half after the way we got MUGGED and BUMPED virtually all half.

And...how in the he** did they not put a second back on the clock there at the end of the 1st? WTF???!!!

fisheyes
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
This is one tough Duke team! You gotta love that comeback. Now stick it to 'em in the 2nd half!

Tucknut
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Yep, should have put another second up. I hope the refs show up for the second half.

juise
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
After the way the game started, I am really pleased that Duke was able to ship into the lead this much before the half. It will be really interesting to see who makes better adjustments at half time. K's switch to zone was obviously a great one... we'll see how the Terps counter.

Son of Mojo
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I've voiced my opinions on Bene.......um, Jay, in the past. It still rings true with that comment about Plumlee as well as his statement on our possession before when Kyle was fouled. How didn't we get a second back? Isn't that one of the purposes of replay?? Hope we build on those last few minutes for the remainder of the game.

jv001
The zone really hurt the twerps. If we can come out to begin the 2nd half hot and hold them scoreless for a few possessions, we'll put the pressure back on them. That's the way the vintage Duke teams would do it. Go Duke!

arnie
Yep, should have put another second up. I hope the refs show up for the second half.

That mistake by the refs is inexcusable - very simple to check and its done all the time with shot clocks expiring near the end. Someone will get roasted over that.

HateCarolina
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not one of those people who thinks Jay is anti-Duke or whatever, but I can't believe that he mentioned the Plumlee contact at the end of the half after the way we got MUGGED and BUMPED virtually all half.

And...how in the he** did they not put a second back on the clock there at the end of the 1st? WTF???!!!

Thank you for making both comments for me...you said it almost verbatim for what was going through my mind.

HateCarolina
03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
That mistake by the refs is inexcusable - very simple to check and its done all the time with shot clocks expiring near the end. Someone will get roasted over that.

We can hope...but probably not.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
A quote from the MD Refs Rulebook...

"As long as no punch is thrown, any physical contact and/or violence is allowable for the home team. Regular rules apply for opponent."

roywhite
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, we're in it.

Got to find a way to stop those 8-10 footers that Maryland (Hayes and Moseby esp.) are getting. Need to rebound better.

-bdbd
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow - great comeback guys!

Any way you slice it that was a great comeback after an early debacle. If you're K, each timeout you give the guys "mini-goals" like "OK, we're down by 11, by the next TV time-out let's have it down below 8." Then more of the same the next T/O.... incrementally each T/O. If you'd have told me 5 minutes in that we'd be down by just 2 at the half, then I'd have been THRILLED!

If you are Maryland here - THE TEAM OR THE FANS - you're going "GULP!!" right about now, "Here comes Duke..."

All the momentum is now on the side of the good-guys. All in all, not a bad place to be, in their house, playing 5 against 8....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

moonpie23
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
they sure took the punch and got back up.......they were letting greivis MUG john on just about every play.....WTF???

i hope the fingers being taped doesn't hamper Z too much, i'm sure the refs will....

adjustments......

we have GOT to get something out of the plumlees...

strawbs
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
i hate complaining about refs, but they have been horrible. Bad calls both ways. how do they not put a second more back on the clock at the end. Also, maybe i'm completely wrong, but was that over the back call on miles when he went for a put back dunk bs or what. I HATE when guys get punished for jumping higher then the other guys, only thing worse is big guys getting called for fouls because they are big. Crap like that drives me crazy.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok, so we know the refs stink. Allowing lots of contact on the guards but seemingly calling everything they can think up on our bigs. End of half clock situation was ridiculous. So..they suck - we know it, K knows it, Jon knows it. I am not going to bit*h about it anymore this game. Whatever. Let's just beat the twerps and shut that crowd the heck UP!

theAlaskanBear
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
GO DUKE!

I need to take some blood pressure meds!

After a terrrrrible start, here's what Duke has done well: better shot selection, better defense. I think Duke is being more aggressive offensively now. As soon as Scheyer took that quick three to start the game, I knew we were in for a rough start. But they have fought back! I hope Zoubs game isnt too affected by his injury! We need him bigtime!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
And...we have the lead!

DukieInBrasil
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I was getting ready to turn off the game, down by 12 less than 8 minutes into the game. I have to say, wow, what an amazing finish to the half, only down 2. The first 4 minutes of the 2nd half will have a huge impact on determining the winner. Z's not had as monster of a game this time around, but he's being productive, and he got us started scoring with that Oboard and put-back. Let's see if we can use him more, maybe a 2-man game between he and Singler.
Let's go Duke!!!

A-Tex Devil
There was a shot of John when we were down 13. It was like "whatever."

I don't like getting down 13, but it was clear that we were just going to play our game, and we'd get back in it.

On another blog I read that's had some great Duke writeups (marchtomarch.fantake.com), they pointed out how Gary was playing some matchup zone, playing more or less a man to man on the 3 S's and then not even guarding our post guys so that the lane was clogged by the 2 MD post defenders. When K brought our post guys up a bit, it opened up the driving lanes, Gary had to quit it. Thought it was a pretty good observation.

Scheyer!!

ChrisP
Mmm...biting tongue hard RE: refs sucking

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were playing tackle football tonight? Hayes just took Nolan DOWN, no?

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
We have to get over the refs, guys. I'm just saying.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM

You're right, I know you're right...I'm trying really, really hard - really I am!

But...jeez...this is bad

dukebballcamper90-91
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
bs charge on nolan

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Did Jon just get a call? Amazing!

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
You're right, I know you're right...I'm trying really, really hard - really I am!

But...jeez...this is bad

But if they wouldn't have called that foul on that Scheyer 3....lol

bl33dblu3
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
But if they wouldn't have called that foul on that Scheyer 3....lol

make up call right? ha

dairedevil
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
offensive foul by Nolan... the refs aren't giving any leeway on the calls. But at least they called the foul when Jon was shooting the 3.

And, finally, md is missing some shots and we're rebounding.

ChrisP
Nolan is making really bad decisions in this game. Wonder if he's tight because he's got family at this game. Ugh!

Rudy
No point whining about the calls, this is how it's going to be in the NCAA tourney. Gut it out and hit the boards harder. 2nd half looks better already.

91devil
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Yeah, guys and girls, let's stop b*tching about the refs and start cheering more for the team.

LET'S GO DUKE!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
No point whining about the calls, this is how it's going to be in the NCAA tourney. Gut it out and hit the boards harder. 2nd half looks better already.

No, it will not be this bad in the NCAA's. No way. I know Duke fouls and I don't have nearly the problem with calls against us as I do the blatant non-calls that are going MD's way tonight. This is what's called HOME cookin' and we get some at Cameron but even through my Duke blue glasses, I don't think it's generally this bad.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM

I'll make you a deal - I'll stop complaining about the refs when Bilas does - how about that?

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Great D - way to stop the 4 on 2 break!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Scoring pace has REALLY slowed down the past several minutes. Would be nice if we could hit our FT's to get some points that way, but great D going on

Eternal Outlaw
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow, just wow. Duke got hacked on the arm like 4 times then Thomas gets hit with a foul for a hack in the same possession. Maryland then gets a cheap hook shot and 1 and Scheyer gets killed with no foul.

And now a pathetic over and back call.

A-Tex Devil
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
THat backcourt was the worst call I have seen a ref make all year. I've watched a lot of basketball. Simple, basic fundamental, blown.

DownEastDevil
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
That's how a screwed up call can turn the tables!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
THat backcourt was the worst call I have seen a ref make all year. I've watched a lot of basketball. Simple, basic fundamental, blown.

WORD! (does me agreeing with you count as a complaint about the refs?) I'd hate to offend anyone's sensitive constitution here...

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Whoa...travel? Interesting...

DownEastDevil
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
how do you travel when you are dribbling the freakin ball?

ChrisP
I think someone with the initials MK agrees with me about the zebras tonight....just sayin'

House G
I agree--inexcusable!

_Gary
OK, now I'm gonna say it - the refs are starting to screw us. I've seen about 3 blatantly bad calls in a row go against us. And that's not counting a few non-calls when we were getting raked on attempted put backs. Geesh.

Duvall
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
OK, now I'm gonna say it - the refs are starting to screw us.

How uncharacteristic.

Son of Mojo
The officiating is a little too blatantly one-sided. I hate having to call out the refs but this has been a horribly called game. Given, we've had shots that we've muffed, but it's a little hard overcoming this 8 - 5 disadvantage.

Coballs
It's just one horrible call after another against us. I can't believe what I'm watching.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Unbelievable.

A-Tex Devil
WORD! (does me agreeing with you count as a complaint about the refs?) I'd hate to offend anyone's sensitive constitution here...

I am not complainging about the refs on a macro scale. Believe me -- we've gotten some calls. But that's a pee wee league ref mistake. That was why it's so bad. He knows it too. What's worse is that he wasn't overruled. When you are calling questionable fouls -- that usually evens out.

When you F up a simple violation like that, it's reprimandable. That walk was bad too.

I can deal with questionable fouls. F ups on violations by refs is inexcusable.

Vincetaylor
Those calls were absolutely pathetic. They were easy, easy calls in the open court.

_Gary
How uncharacteristic.

I'd issue you a nice challenge and ask you to go back and tell me how many times I've mentioned poor reffing in our games this year. I'm betting it's not more than a couple of times.

HateCarolina
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Wes Jones must have gotten paid off...he has been the guy that has called a large majority of the calls against us...what gives?

muzikfrk75
Nolan!

A-Tex Devil
Nolan!! Just glad the team has better composure than I do!! :o

barjwr
Frickin' sweet move by Nolan!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Strollin' to the line for the "and 1" - LOVE it!!!

House G
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Need more Nolan.

A-Tex Devil
03-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I wonder if Zoubs leads all 7 footers in steals. I know there aren't a lot of 7 footers, but he seems to get a lot of smart steals.

ChrisP
I really , really hope Zoubs can stay out of foul trouble - he is having a GREAT game! His D has led to at least 2 steals in the last few minutes.

barjwr
shocking. a call on us away from the ball.

HateCarolina
Need more Nolan...and less zebras.

muzikfrk75
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Nolan just went into 'F this, I'm taking over' mode.

ice-9
Hell yeah nolan!!

DownEastDevil
hayes can't handle nolan

Andre Buckner Fan
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Attacking off the dribble! I love it! Go Smith!!!

_Gary
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I know Nolan has forced a few shots (he's good for that in just about every game), but he's also been money in almost every 2nd half when we've needed him this year!

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I know Nolan has forced a few shots (he's good for that in just about every game), but he's also been money in almost every 2nd half when we've needed him this year!

Agree with everything you said here - he does force some things and makes questionable decisions at times but he's playing well right now. I just wish he'd show up for both halves of the same game :)

chattpanther
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Duke should feel like there is some home court advantage for them. When the students chant "F--- You!" Over and over, Duke can just imagine they are saying Go Duke. I have never heard The F--- You chant on TV as much as tonight.

Except when JJ was playing.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I want Duke to win every game, obviously, but I really REALLY want this one. I can't stand MD and their fans. Let's shut them up!

barjwr
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
When the students chant "F--- You!" Over and over, . . . I have never heard The F--- You chant on TV as much as tonight.

"You stay classy, College Park!"

_Gary
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Andre!

Rudy
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I'll make you a deal - I'll stop complaining about the refs when Bilas does - how about that?

I'm watching at a bar with the sound off, and I can ignore closed caption.

_Gary
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Jon!

Coballs
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Vasquez is heating up down the stretch of his final home game. This could be a problem...

RoyalBlue08
Why does it seem like all the life has been sucked out of the Duke defense all of a sudden? we were playing so hard a minute ago

_Gary
Darn it! We just can't pull away.

duke09hms
taking too many 3s, but what's new

ice-9
Our foul shooting...what a bad time to be below average in that...

chattpanther
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
There is the chant that reminds me that the #1 thing Maryland is remembered for is killing Len Bias.

Masticatee
Wow. This one seems like it's going to be a classic. Shot for shot.

On another note, we're doing poorly shooting FTs. What might this mean for the end game... :-/

juise
taking too many 3s, but what's new

Living by it... falling behind by it.

And a very cute cheer during the break by the Terps.

ChrisP
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I really wish we'd seize the lead and keep it and take this game OUT of the refs hands!

DownEastDevil
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
can you say mugged!

_Gary
Yes, we have left several points hanging due to poor free throw shooting tonight. That may very well be the difference when it's all said and done. Right now we are going to need a defensive stop coming out of this TO. If they go up by a couple of scores I have a feeling it's going to be tough to overcome.

Kfanarmy
difference at the moment is MD bench is beating Dukes...

Classof06
03-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Duke really hasn't been in the situation very much this season, at least not lately. I learned a lot when we took their punch and came back in the 1st half. I'm very curious to see how we handle this.

juise
On another note, we're doing poorly shooting FTs.

IMO, the #1 reason we couldn't pull away during our hot streak.

_Gary
And we got it. Now we need a score!

Got it with Nolan!!