PDA

View Full Version : It's March!

Jumbo
03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
You ready? Duke is. Let's go!

Duvall
03-01-2010, 12:20 AM

I dunno, I kinda liked February. Can we have a couple more 20-point blowouts of ACC second-place teams in Cameron, and a few more 20-point losses by UNC in a half-empty Dean Dome? Those were fun.

pfrduke
03-01-2010, 12:21 AM

I'm ready. But here on the west coast, I'm hanging on to an undefeated February for a few hours. Because that feels reeeaaaaaallll good. :D

duketaylor
03-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I am ready, vacation starts a week from Thursday, heading to the ACC tourney, then get to watch the first weekend of NCAA play. After seeing the top three ranked teams fall this weekend, anything can happen this March and April, stay tuned. Gonna be a wild "Dance."

Jumbo
03-01-2010, 12:29 AM
I dunno, I kinda liked February. Can we have a couple more 20-point blowouts of ACC second-place teams in Cameron, and a few more 20-point losses by UNC in a half-empty Dean Dome? Those were fun.

True. But you know what would be even better? Duke playing in April.

BlueintheFace
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
What are those two things people say are most important in March? Guard-play and experience?

Yah, I'm ready.

Cameron
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Yes, I'm ready! And apparently Jon heard (read) Jumbo the other day, because he is, too.

Once again last night, Jon proved why he's one of the most creative and crafty scorers in all of the college game with a nice array of inside maneuvers against the Cavaliers. Spin turners, one-handed floats, up and overs, dive lofts and cowtipping. (All right, I might have made some of those up, especially the last one:D.)

But Jon was outstanding. He got that bounce in his step back with his driving game that was starting to concern many of us, I think. He had had a rough go in the lane the past few outings. Glad to see Jon is back at full power.

Wednesday night's game is going to be huge. The biggest Duke-Maryland game since the '04 ACC title bout in Greensboro. Also on the line: ACC Player of the Year. Grievis vs. Jon. Heavyweight tilt. Get your chinese takeout and hostess cupcakes ready!

Lord Ash
03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Annnnnnddddd... there's the ulcer.

:)

The wife has cleared the schedule for the next five or six weekends... may we need all of them!

rthomas
03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I love this time of year! ACC tournament, March Madness, the Masters and spring approaching!

gw67
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm with rthomas and Lord Ash. March through early April is one of my favorite times of the year. Weather getting nicer (Thank G*d); spring training and the local high school and college teams starting to play baseball; March Madness including Selection Sunday, completing brackets, etc.; working out the kinks and starting to hit the little white ball and hoping that I can keep from playing from the senior tees for at least one more year; and finally, getting our beach place ready for the summer and taking walks on the beach with wife and dog (assuming that a beach remains after all the storms).

Except for important family matters (weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, birthdays and anniversaries), my wife clears the social calendar.

Go Duke, Maryland, Orioles, Mickleson/Woods!!

gw67

davekay1971
03-01-2010, 09:09 AM
So I asked Mike (you guys call him Coach K), "Mike, it's March...we've already played 29 games and, Schmingler's been playing a ton of minutes, and, you know, 1a."

After rolling his eyes at me, he sighed.

''I rest my guys in practice,'' he said. ''Playing time, in the games, is really irrelevant. It's what you do between games. Our practices this week, teamwise, were no more than 50 minutes. ... That's how you take care of your guys. Guys want to play. They want to play. But, hey...9F.''

(Quote (slightly altered) from CNNSI Duke vs. UVa recap...generic AP story, of course).

superdave
03-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Hmmm I'm trying to figure out which weekend to go visit my girlfriend (which means less basktball watching). Would you go the first weekend of the NCAAs or the Regionals weekend?

Guess it depends on Duke's draw. If they draw Thurs-Sat for the first weekend, then I can talk her into me watching Saturday easily. If it's Fri-Sun, then that could be tougher.

Indoor66
03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Hmmm I'm trying to figure out which weekend to go visit my girlfriend (which means less basktball watching). Would you go the first weekend of the NCAAs or the Regionals weekend?

Guess it depends on Duke's draw. If they draw Thurs-Sat for the first weekend, then I can talk her into me watching Saturday easily. If it's Fri-Sun, then that could be tougher.

Dump her for a month.

jv001
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
March through early April is one of my favorite times of the year. Weather getting nicer, working out the kinks and starting to hit the little white ball and hoping that I can keep from playing from the senior tees for at least one more year
Go Duke, Maryland, Orioles, Mickleson/Woods!!

gw67

playing from the senior tees for as long as you can. I've played from the white tees now for the last 4 years and it's not too bad. As for the sports teams: Go Duke, St. Louis Cardinals and anybody but tiger/unc. Go Duke!

Lord Ash
03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Dump her for a month.

This. And if she doesn't understand, it wasn't meant to be.

NSDukeFan
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM

There are not a whole lot of more exciting weekends than the first weekend of the NCAAs, when there are games on constantly, upsets and almost upsets and thrilling finishes. The second weekend consists of some exciting and fantastic matchups with often great games with great teams. As others have noted, I don't think you can pass either one up.

SharkD
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Could be worse. You could have a wife who's pregnant with a due-date in the middle of the NCAA Tournament, as is the case with one member of the coaching staff.

Azdukefan
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Dump her for a month.

Dump her for good if she can't understand March Madness!

dbd4ever
03-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know if the times are set yet for the Final Four games on April 3rd? I have a wedding that day at 4:00pm in Winston-Salem and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to manage this. Hopefully I WILL have to make arrangements to watch the Final Four that day. Go Duke!!

SharkD
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
They're almost always scheduled for 7:00pm/9:30pm EST starts.

YourLandlord
03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
March sucks.

weezie
03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Could be worse. You could have a wife who's pregnant with a due-date in the middle of the NCAA Tournament, as is the case with one member of the coaching staff.

Oh lord, that was me, many years ago. Nothing like being in labor while the games are on.

March does not suck, snap out of it Landlord!

jipops
03-04-2010, 12:30 AM
...ahh, so that's why I was feeling so unproductive at work.

AZLA
03-04-2010, 01:08 AM
The perfect Thursday...

Sunny weather. Windows open. A poker stack of frozen Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. Brackets filled out and ready. Cold Yuenglings waiting in the fridge. Laptop opened to DBR and Sportzone. Flip on the HD. Cue CBS NCAA March Madness intro. Suddenly a daunting feeling rushes over -- I'm now doubting that silly THIRD 5 vs 12 upset I picked. Better not if I want a chance to win my pool. Rush to sign back in online and change brackets to only one 5 vs 12 upset. Okay, conservative, but acceptable. Wait, do I really pick Duke to Win? Will it jinx them again like in 94? Scotty Thurman that lucky...argh! I woulda' won it all. Okay, better not -- I'll pick some non-offending potential long shot with no beef with or thematic tie to Duke. A Switzerland pick. Hmm... who possibly doesn't have a beef with Duke? Gonzaga? Everyone likes the Zags, right? Plus, who actually knows someone who went to Gonzaga? I can't think of anyone. They must be good, affable people. Heck they call themselves "Zags." I like the sound of it. Maybe they're like those friendly Hobbits from the Shire, only much taller and of age to drink. Wait, no, how about -- Valpo? Not quite as popular as the Zags. Plus I had a friend with a cute sister that went there. That way if Duke goes out early, it numbs the pain just a little and makes me look like a GD genius for picking total underdogs to win it all. In that case, make it New Mexico ... School of Mines. Okay I officially choose...

oh crap... I lost my connection!

I have no clue what team I submitted -- too late -- the first tip off of Podunk Sate versus Goliath just occurred. I'll check my random picks later. Then I grin because I'm not in the office, instead I'm in for an extended weekend of nothing but pure NCAA basketball indulgence and the greatest one-and-done sports tournament on earth... and Duke will be playing soon!

Nice!

Epilogue: By 4 p.m. Pacific, I come to grips that I remain the worst bracket picker in all the land and still not care. It's March Madness...