PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Virginia

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, this was one of the more interesting plus/minus games of the season, even before the ugly last four minutes in which Duke's reserves decided to they really wanted to spend tomorrow's practice, post-practice, dinner and midnight snack running. Start out with this fact: Duke was repeatedly better (during the real part of the game) with Nolan Smith out of the game. The good way to look at that was that Andre Dawkins looked more comfortable playing with the other starters than he has in a while. The first time Nolan came out, Duke went on a 9-0 run (Mason and Miles were also in for Lance and Zoubs). In the second half, after an ill-advised drive, K yanked Nolan and Duke went on a 10-2 run. Clearly, Nolan was playing with his head down too much, consistently missing open shooters on the weak side as he drove to the hoop. It was nice that Duke was playing against a weak enough team that K could teach him a few lessons on the bench; hopefully it will make a difference going forward.

Meanwhile, there's the Scheyer/Singler influence. Duke outscored UVA by 30 with Scheyer in the game and got outscored by 12 when he was out. Not to be outdone, Duke outscored UVA by 35 without Singler (when Nolan subbed in for him in the first half and Duke went with three guards, Virginia went on a quick 5-0 run) and got outscored by 17 when he was out. Yikes! Watch what happens to their net plus/minus stats when I update the totals later. Finally, it was nice to see Mason Plumlee play well when the starters were in -- just look at the difference in his stats with the other top players vs. the subs late in the game. Or, go look at the moves he forced with said subs vs. the decisions he made when playing with better players. His development going forward depends on his ability to understand a complementary role. And when he gets that, then stuff like the nice turnaround in the lane he hit (notice that he was much more patient, shot at the top of his jump, stayed on balance) becomes a great bonus.

Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Kyle Singler 61-26 (+35)
Jon Scheyer 61-31 (+30)
Brian Zoubek 29-13 (+16)
Lance Thomas 37-24 (+13)
Nolan Smith 40-31 (+9)
Mason Plumlee 34-28 (+6)
Miles Plumlee 31-28 (+3)
Andre Dawkins 29-31 (-2)
Steve Johnson 3-5 (-2)
Jordan Davidson 4-10 (-6)
Ryan Kelly 6-18 (-12)

Per 40 Minutes
Brian Zoubek +45.7
Kyle Singler +45.2
Jon Scheyer +36.4
Lance Thomas +21.7
Mason Plumlee +13.3
Nolan Smith +12.9
Miles Plumlee +5.7
Andre Dawkins -4.2
Steve Johnson -40
Ryan Kelly -68.6
Jordan Davidson -80

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x3) 16-8 (+8)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (x3) 13-5 (+8)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x3) 15-8 (+7)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Zoubek 6-0 (+6)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Zoubek 7-2 (+5)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Mason 4-3 (+1)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas 0-0 (+0)
Smith-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason-Miles 0-0 (+0)
Davidson-Dawkins-Johnson-Kelly-Mason (x2) 3-5 (-2)
Smith-Dawkins-Thomas-Kelly-Miles 2-5 (-3)
Smith-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)
Davidson-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason-Miles (x2) 1-5 (-4)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Mason-Miles (x2) 0-5 (-5)

airowe
02-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Don't you mean Charting Duke vs. Virginia? :cool:

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Don't you mean Charting Duke vs. Virginia? :cool:

I'm an idiot. Fixing now -- thanks!

COYS
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I thought Singler had his best over all game of the season, today, and the plus/minus stats seem to indicate that as well. He played superb defense, was efficient on offense, and was all over the place on every loose ball. Scheyer looked much smoother today than he has in a while, as well. The two of them were playing as men amongst boys (and, against the Landesburg-less Cavs team, that's not far from the truth).

Zoubs may not have been able to stay on the floor or make the same impact he had been making, but his stats are still impressive!

mike88
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Finally, it was nice to see Mason Plumlee play well when the starters were in -- just look at the difference in his stats with the other top players vs. the subs late in the game. Or, go look at the moves he forced with said subs vs. the decisions he made when playing with better players. His development going forward depends on his ability to understand a complementary role. And when he gets that, then stuff like the nice turnaround in the lane he hit (notice that he was much more patient, shot at the top of his jump, stayed on balance) becomes a great bonus.

I thought Mason's best play on the game was when he took his time at the top of the key and waited for Kyle to come off a Zoubek screen. Mason then hit him with a simple pass and Kyle made a nice short jumper. Mason needs a few more plays like that to reinforce that he can let the game come to him and be successful. If he can do that consistently (and also play defense at a high level), our team will be a lot more dangerous this month.

Jumbo
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I thought Mason's best play on the game was when he took his time at the top of the key and waited for Kyle to come off a Zoubek screen. Mason then hit him with a simple pass and Kyle made a nice short jumper. Mason needs a few more plays like that to reinforce that he can let the game come to him and be successful. If he can do that consistently (and also play defense at a high level), our team will be a lot more dangerous this month.

Agreed. It's all about the simple plays. Simple passes. Simple cuts that he can finish with dunks. Attention to detail on screens and defensive rotations. If he keeps it simple, his combination of athleticism and skill will take care of the rest.

loldevilz
03-01-2010, 02:00 AM

He also if I remember correctly made a nice dish out out to Jon Scheyer for a trey. He really played heads up good team basketball tonight. I think he is starting to mature into a great player.

superdave
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Jumbo
What did you see last night that was ailing Nolan? You mentioned him putting his head down. I thought UVa had some quick guards who were able to get underneath him a little so he was hesitant to try to drive the ball. Also, he didnt finish plays - like the drive at the end of the half. He got off a fairly tough shot and just missed it. But it's a shot he's hit before. He also got stripped badly once when he tried to split two defenders. I hope to see him attack more though because of the pressure that puts on opponents.

94duke
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Jumbo
What did you see last night that was ailing Nolan? You mentioned him putting his head down. I thought UVa had some quick guards who were able to get underneath him a little so he was hesitant to try to drive the ball. Also, he didnt finish plays - like the drive at the end of the half. He got off a fairly tough shot and just missed it. But it's a shot he's hit before. He also got stripped badly once when he tried to split two defenders. I hope to see him attack more though because of the pressure that puts on opponents.

I thought Jumbo meant that Nolan was driving with his head down and could not see open guys on the wings.

MChambers
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
So, I take it that after having worried about Kyle in January, and Jon in February, we are to worry about Nolan in March?

NSDukeFan
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
So, I take it that after having worried about Kyle in January, and Jon in February, we are to worry about Nolan in March?

And hopefully no worries in April.