PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Virginia

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia?

RoyalBlue08
02-28-2010, 09:38 PM
It was nice of Z to let someone else win one...

Newton_14
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
"Obviously" it was Jon tonight!:D

His post game interview was "obviously" good as well!:D

For an alarmingly unathletic pg dude can sure ball...

CameronCrazy'11
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Jon with 5 steals to go along with 20 points. Grievis who?

strawbs
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
i went with scheyer, but it was a toss up for me between him, kyle, and...steve johnson!

ivydevil
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Not to point out the obvious, but Jon. :D

jv001
Best shooting game for Jon in a while, but that's not all. Had 5 steals, 3 assist, 1 turnover. Very good all around game for Jon.

arnie
"Obviously" it was Jon tonight!:D

His post game interview was "obviously" good as well!:D

For an alarmingly unathletic pg dude can sure ball...

Definitely it was obviously Scheyer and definitely not Laettner, definitely.

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Best shooting game for Jon in a while, but that's not all. Had 5 steals, 3 assist, 1 turnover. Very good all around game for Jon.

And he was short-changed AGAIN with the 3 assists. I had him for 5 at a minimum. Will be interesting to see if the official box score is any different.

1999ballboy
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Great game from Scheyer. Some people have felt he's been in a slump, others have said his back is bothering him, but tonight he was everything we need him to be on both ends of the floor. He may not play this well every game from here on out, but hopefully now people can rest assured that he's still the same player he was in the first part of the season.

Mason played his best game in quite awhile too, and he didn't foul! Still a little sloppiness here and there, but at least he was effective for the first time in awhile.

Saratoga2
02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought he played very well and deserved MOYM, however, Scheyer is also a good choice.

jv001
02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
And he was short-changed AGAIN with the 3 assists. I had him for 5 at a minimum. Will be interesting to see if the official box score is any different.

Didn't get to see the first half, but now that you mentioned it I bet he had 3 just in the 2nd half. I'll watch the entire game tomorrow sometime and will pay special attention to Jon's assists. Go Duke!

BlueintheFace
He would have had a few more points if the refs had called the fouls... whatever, I'm used to it now.

mgtr
Well, it broke my string of votes for Zoubs, but was happy to see Jon and Kyle have good games. Loved two plays by Jon: Diving on the floor for the ball, and the spin-in layup.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Kyle for MOTM, Jon for BOTM

CLW
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
The Z streak ends tonight Scheyer was the man of the match.

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Didn't get to see the first half, but now that you mentioned it I bet he had 3 just in the 2nd half. I'll watch the entire game tomorrow sometime and will pay special attention to Jon's assists. Go Duke!

Well, here are 3 I still remember off the top of my head -- fast break delayed pass to trailing Singler; kick-out to Singler for 3; kick out to Dawkins for 3. Oh, and there was a shovel pass of some kind in the 2nd half where I was worried they might have confused him with Singler. Hopefully the official box has more -- he had at least 5.

moonpie23
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
4 "obviously"s - is that in the box score?

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
He would have had a few more points if the refs had called the fouls... whatever, I'm used to it now.

Seriously -- how many more times does he need to get hit on drives before he gets the calls he'd been getting for the first three years of his career? What happened to earning respect from the refs as a veteran? I think that's why he had the fist pump after that one tough drive -- he was ticked off that he didn't get the call for the and-one.

CameronCrazy'11
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
When Jon is playing like that, we are very difficult to beat.

Newton_14
02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Seriously -- how many more times does he need to get hit on drives before he gets the calls he'd been getting for the first three years of his career? What happened to earning respect from the refs as a veteran? I think that's why he had the fist pump after that one tough drive -- he was ticked off that he didn't get the call for the and-one.

Agree. And the Miami game was the worst one lately. He got hammered numerous times in that game. I counted 3 drives tonight where he got fouled with no call. It's nuts.

RoyalBlue08
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
4 "obviously"s - is that in the box score?

I wonder if he realizes he does this when he is being interviewed. It's a habit he has to break. I know he just says it like someone else would say "um" when searching for a word, but it makes him come off as arrogant if you haven't heard him speak in front of a camera before.

whirlieduke4
02-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Just so clutch all the way through that game, heady plays on the breakaway pass back to Singler for the and-one, and the diving pass...Scheyer is just the man through and through.
Glad to see K giving the guys a rest towards the end of the game too.

juise
02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I thought Kyle really set the tone early (the tone being "our team is much more talented than yours and we're going to do what we want") with shooting and passing. So he gets my vote. Jon was obviously outstanding as well.

Azdukefan
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
That steal and pass to AD who passed to Mason............sealed it for me. Call me crazy but I believe we have the best PG in the nation (yes even better than that Jon with an H (John)).:cool:

1999ballboy
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm sure it's because of his reputation. He's the best player in the country at drawing fouls, and I think refs have noticed how often he gets fouled shooting the three, how often he sees the foul before it comes, and how often he jumps into the fouls. It's not that I agree with the refs- I think those are just good basketball skills that should be rewarded rather than punished. But the fact is, when Scheyer gets fouled, it's often more because of what he does than what the defender does, and I guess the refs don't like that. I'm not sure if the fouls on drives you mention fall into that category, but once you get flagged by the refs, you get flagged by the refs.

dball
03-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Kyle is an easy choice for the entire game. Jon had a terrific second half and played well, too.

moonpie23
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I wonder if he realizes he does this when he is being interviewed. It's a habit he has to break. I know he just says it like someone else would say "um" when searching for a word, but it makes him come off as arrogant if you haven't heard him speak in front of a camera before.

i don't really think so......he might reduce the number of times he says it, but it's an expression that he is habituated to...

i do not think jon ever comes off as being arrogant...in fact, aside from the little repetitive "obviously"s, i think jon is very articulate and savvy.

Jumbo
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Kyle is an easy choice for the entire game. Jon had a terrific second half and played well, too.

Not sure I agree with that. Kyle scored well. But Scheyer made much more of an impact in every other area, particularly his five steals on D.

OldSchool
03-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Either Jon or Kyle is a fine choice for MOTM.

I went with Kyle for being so aggressive, especially as we built our working margin. He was a matchup nightmare for UVA.

Especially noteworthy was Kyle's spectacular leaping dive into the fifth row of the crowd trying to save a loose ball. He placed a great deal of faith in the good will of the Wahoo crowd to catch him!

Greg_Newton
03-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Yeah, he yelled "AND ONE" as he swung his first... you could hear it on the replay. I guess Jon's getting a little fed up with the no-calls too.

Bob Green
03-01-2010, 03:27 AM
I thought Kyle really set the tone early (the tone being "our team is much more talented than yours and we're going to do what we want") with shooting and passing.

Your post expresses my opinion perfectly so instead of trying to reword it I'll just quote you and stop.

Neals384
03-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Steve for his first FG of the season!

Acymetric
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, he yelled "AND ONE" as he swung his first... you could hear it on the replay. I guess Jon's getting a little fed up with the no-calls too.

It was funny, because I pretty much did the exact same thing after that play.

There were a few stretches that I missed during the game but I thought Jon looked great today...has anyone mentioned its March (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19795) yet? :D

Jarhead
03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Jon and Kyle are now tied at 76 votes, so I dropped one for Nolan as a reminder that we need him on Wednesday.

DukieInBrasil
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Went with Sheyer b.c of the 5 steals, offensively they were about equal, although Singler's hot start gave Duke lots of early breathing room.

devildeac
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Agree. And the Miami game was the worst one lately. He got hammered numerous times in that game. I counted 3 drives tonight where he got fouled with no call. It's nuts.

The JJ treatment. Plus, his middle name's not tyler...

I agree. He gets hammered regularly, and, IIRC, last PM did not even shoot a single FT. Truly unbelievable. Well, maybe not. We are dealling with acc refs here.:rolleyes::mad: