PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 67, Virginia 49 Post-Game Thread

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Let the dialogue commence.

SCMatt33
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
That was for everyone who complains about end of game minutes and not letting off the gas,

jjasper0729
i thought we were pretty steady throughout the game. big minutes contributions from everyone. uva was able to get on a couple of mini-runs, but we were able to shut those down and keep the lead in double digits after the first 10 minutes of the game.

superdave
I was glad to see long minutes for the bench tonight. That's a fun way to handle a road game during the home stretch.

Mason had a few nice drives this fine evening.

chrisheery
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Felt like a practice against worse competition. Glad Mason got to see some shots go in during game action. Miles just can't seem to get over the hump. Sucks that Nolan and Zoubek's stats take a hit I guess. But, they show up when it matters.

BlueintheFace
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
I predict that this will be one of the shortest post-game threads of the season... ~3-4 pages maybe.

Nice to see Jon start hitting on those drives and not just hitting the threes after the last few games.

Nolan had a rough go of it, but Jon and Kyle look March-ready

superdave
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Did anyone notice that UVA started tightening up and jumping into Duke's perimeter ball handoffs? I thought that was a nice coaching adjustment by Bennett and really threw us off. As Nova showed last year, if you disrupt our perimeter passing/handoffs, you can throw off our timing and rhythm.

Interesting and a little scary.

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Felt like a practice against worse competition. Glad Mason got to see some shots go in during game action. Miles just can't seem to get over the hump. Sucks that Nolan and Zoubek's stats take a hit I guess. But, they show up when it matters.

Our efficiency stats are also going to take a hit based on the performance of the all-reserve lineup in the last 4 minutes. And I don't think Coach K is going to be particularly nice to them in practice.

That said, this felt like an old-fashioned, mature, Duke blowout against an undermanned team. A lot to like in this game.

loldevilz
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Good game against a mediocre team on the road. Thought the bench played well. Nolan needs to keep his head up and stop being a ball hog. I hope that's what Coach K was telling him when he took him out. I thought we saw some very effective lineups that weren't the starting 5. Zoubs-Mason-Singler-Dawkins-Scheyer were absolutely dominant for a 5 minute stretch in the second half. Zoubs and Thomas weren't spectacular today...I hope they get their mojo back for Maryland.

Jumbo
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Did anyone notice that UVA started tightening up and jumping into Duke's perimeter ball handoffs? I thought that was a nice coaching adjustment by Bennett and really threw us off. As Nova showed last year, if you disrupt our perimeter passing/handoffs, you can throw off our timing and rhythm.

Interesting and a little scary.

But I thought we countered extremely well and ran some great motion offense in the last few minutes the starters were in.

CameronDuke
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Good walk through for the biggest game of our season so far on Wednesday at Maryland. I like that our starters (mainly Singler, Scheyer, and Smith) got lots of rest tonight. Good road win, though UVA is pitiful, especially without Landesburg.

I will say that I was wrong about this team after the Carolina game. They can shoot better than I thought and can win on the road. Like I said, Maryland in College Park will be our biggest game of the season so far. I am eager to see how we perform in the Comcast Center.

Let's Go Duke.

Saratoga2
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
The game became a lot easier with Landesberg sitting it out with an injury. Virginia does play a decent defense, so it was more like a good scrimmage than a game we were likely to lose.

It was a workmanlike job for us with Singler and Scheyer getting the stats, but a lot of players getting minutes. Mason made some interesting offensive moves and Dawkins got into the scoring column.

Virginia has some good interior players who could develop in the future. Duke's interior defense wasn't that strong tonight, but it could just have been the sheer number of combinations coach K was using.

Good game for our bench to get some PY.

dukebluelemur
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Zebras went back to whistling Z if he looked at the ball... I think refs actually letting him play the last few games has been by far the biggest factor in his recent effectiveness... Ticks me off a bit, seeing him get called so inconsistently... think where we would be if he'd been able to actually play a year or so ago.

mgtr
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I was happy to see Mason stay in the game for quite a while and collect no fouls, and to see Dawkins hit a couple of shots. Of course, there were things that were not so good, as have been pointed out already.

strawbs
02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
it was great to see the ball go through the hoop a couple times for andre. The first three looked great, i wasn't surprised he missed the 2nd because it looked rushed and off balance. I was really surprised the 2 he made went it, because that really looked forced. I wish his last 3 attempt would have dropped though, he had a great open look, and i think that could have really helped his confidence

Newton_14
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Did I dream it or did Duke not win "The ACC Title" last year. Bonner is normally sharper than that. And he even made it worse by clarifying it, saying that Duke had not gone more than 2 years without winning either the Reg Season or ACC tourney title but Jon's class had neither yet?? Petty I guess but jeez give us credit when we actually win a championship..

Nice to have a game where we lead comfortably throughout. That was greatly needed. The freshman got some burn, Andre hits a 3, and Mason played really well with some nice post moves and finishes. Great to see. Miles has been handed the Zoubs karma that requires a foul call if he looks at or breathes near anyone. I thought Miles played better tonight and got jobbed on at least 3 of the foul calls. The other half of that Zoubs karma is on Jon who can't buy a foul call on drives anymore. Other than that I thought the refs were outstanding tonight!:p

Great game by Jon and Kyle, and good team defense throughout. But starting Wednesday the stakes get higher game by game. Time to step on the gas and get it done!

Go Duke!

gwwilburn
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Last weekend, if I was given the choice as to which of the next two games would be reminiscent of the Penn game, I would have chosen Thursday's contest. That being said, Tulsa is pretty decent (in KenPom's top 100) and UVa is awful without Landesberg. Glad we have three major scoring threats instead of just one.
On another note, nice game from Mason and Andre. Zoubs was solid but not spectacular, and Lance did what he always does. Nolan concerns me a bit, but Jon and Kyle were able to pick it up. Also, to be a negative Nancy, what was with Miles picking up four (if not five) fouls in the second half? Not a good sign. But I was impressed, on the whole.

gwwilburn
02-28-2010, 09:55 PM
By the way, what a nice month February has been. 8-0!!!!! Hopefully March and April will be even better! :)

jv001
02-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Jon and Kyle with excellent games. Nolan a very bad shooting night. Good to see the bench get some minutes. Andre and Mason played well but Ryan got lost on defense a few times. Caused some foul trouble on Miles. Good game to get ready for the twerps. Go Duke!

Andre Buckner Fan
02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
We needed an easy game so the starters could rest and the bench could practice.

Landesberg not playing was really helpful. We still would have won, I think, but Jon, Kyle and Nolan would have all played 39-40.

roywhite
02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
By the way, what a nice month February has been. 8-0!!!!! Hopefully March and April will be even better! :)

Pretty rare for Duke teams to go unbeaten in February. Just a quick check, but 1986, 1999, and 2006 are about the only teams (in the Coach K era) that accomplished that.

Obviously, the 2006 team did not reach the Final Four, but playing well in February seems like a very good sign. The roles are well established the team is clicking.

JayBean
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I was a pretty happy fan tonight. I thought the Plumlees played well enough. I don't blame Miles for his fouls. They were iffy ones (at least two that I saw), not of the "slappy" variety. Overall the team played pretty well.

Felt bad for Virginia, missing their star player.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Glad to see good minutes for Andre, Mason, Miles. We're gonna need them in the ACC tourney and beyond.

We're getting better as we roll along -- compare this shooting on the road to prior games. Me likey.

greybeard
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Miles and Mason seemed much more committed to the "set-the-oicks" role carved out for the bigs but more than a tad lost in it. The best sequence in the game, in my opinion, was near the end when Mason caught it in the high post (a couple of steps higher than would be ideal), the defender shaded the middle to take away his brother's being able to receive right in front of the bakset, and Mason and Miles took what was there, an over-the-top pass and Mason got fouled.

That set up would produce loads of good scoring opportunities for both Plumless, with them rotating between the high and low pivot creating other opportunities for catches that could lead to scores. Good to see what these two guys can create together.

I think Va was jumping screens very well and the screens that Z was setting were more predictable than in the giant game he had against VT. He was deployed differently and the screens began earlier in the clock and were more visable and predictable.

I still think that Duke is inviting disappointment by not getting low post play off the pass inside. Z does not look to create advantage on catches (he is too busy looking to set a screen). Mason showed a tad, and I mean just a tad, of how dangerous this dude can be. I think that they need that type of play to bring home the hardware. Now there's a surprise, huh?

Very nice to see Kyle play inside and not just outside the 3 line. Gives him much more vitality. If guys like Mason and Miles get some more good touches you will start seeing some of that vitality from them on defense, in particular the boards.

roywhite
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204898199

From the boxscore:

Jon was 4-7 from 3-pt and 4-7 from 2-pt (drives looked good)
UVa rebounded well, actually had 33-31 advantage
UVa only 2-12 from 3-pt; good perimeter defense
Kyle is shooting well, and playing well
Another low turnover game, 8 total for the team

Greg_Newton
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
We looked great, but can't take too much from this game. Still, we did all we could have hoped to do given the situation.

Great to see Singler continuing to learn how to be effective as a SF. He had a smaller player on him all game, and abused him all game by catching the ball on the move and within 15-18'. One of his most effecient offensive games, IMO.

Scheyer looked more like the old Jon today... making some of those circus shots, and looking like he was having fun and toying with defenders at times. Plus, 5 steals??

One thing Miles consistently does even when he plays dumb is he goes up and grabs strong, two-handed rebounds. It's a nice thing to have out of your 5.

And my ears are still ringing from Z's 400-decibel blocked shot...

The Gordog
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Did I dream it or did Duke not win "The ACC Title" last year. Bonner is normally sharper than that. And he even made it worse by clarifying it, saying that Duke had not gone more than 2 years without winning either the Reg Season or ACC tourney title but Jon's class had neither yet?? Petty I guess but jeez give us credit when we actually win a championship..

I was shocked by that as well.

Note to Dan Bonner: ACC Tournament Champion = ACC Champion. Period. And by the way we won it last year.

airowe
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
- The Blue Devils improved to 8-0 in the month of February as they are currently on their longest winning streak of the season. Coach K has a 178-66 all-time record in the month of February.

- Duke held Virginia to 49 points, the fourth opponent that the Blue Devils have held under 50 points this season and second in ACC play. Clemson scored just 47 against Duke on Jan. 23.

- For the game Virginia shot just .314 (16-of-51), marking the 16th time Duke has held an opponent under 40 percent from the field.

- Virginia shot just .167 (2-of-12) from behind the three-point line, the third straight opponent that has shot under 20 percent from deep against Duke. On the year the Blue Devils are holding opponents to a school record .267 from beyond the arc.

roywhite
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Perhaps it's bad form to gripe after a decisive win, but I thought the Cavs got the best of the calls. Some really quick whistles on Miles and Zoubs, and Jon (again) was not getting fouls called on his drives.

Coastal Devil
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Great game tonight. Glad to see Mason, Dawkins and Kelly gets some nice minutes. Now on to MD to wrap up as the ACC Regular Season Champs! Just watched the DB Coach K show. K talked about how it would be great for this Sr. class to be Reg. season champs and also make a run in the NCAA!

Go Duke!

Richard Berg
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Jon was 4-7 from 3-pt and 4-7 from 2-pt (drives looked good)
Two of the 2-pt misses were easy layups. He actually looked better in traffic.

UVa rebounded well, actually had 33-31 advantage
Goes to show what a meaningless stat that is. It's true that Z's foul trouble took away from our usual dominance on the boards somewhat, but so did making 2X as many field goals :)

UVa only 2-12 from 3-pt; good perimeter defense
In the first 10-15min of the 2nd half, definitely; it was among the best I've seen this season. In the first half & in garbage time, we simply got lucky; many of the shots they missed were wide open.

- Duke held Virginia to 49 points, the fourth opponent that the Blue Devils have held under 50 points this season and second in ACC play. Clemson scored just 47 against Duke on Jan. 23.
And it wasn't really that close. Keep Kelly & the walk-ons on the bench and UVA has a tough time breaking 40. Then again, it wasn't really a fair fight.

Newton_14
02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Perhaps it's bad form to gripe after a decisive win, but I thought the Cavs got the best of the calls. Some really quick whistles on Miles and Zoubs, and Jon (again) was not getting fouls called on his drives.

I felt the same way. Especially on Miles and Jon. I continue to be amazed with ACC refs in that they will go stretches and let guys get killed in the lane with no call, yet then they will call a slight body bump on Miles while his hands are straight up. 3 of the calls on Miles tonight should have been no calls and the one where he pinned the ball in between the rim and backboard was iffy. Clean at the top but definite body contact that often goes uncalled on other players.

And the other side of that coin is a lot of guards draw a foul call multiple times on drives to the rim on sometimes minimal to very light contact yet Jon often draws heavy contact and gets no call. On one play in the Miami game, Jon penetrated and went up for the shot. Collins reached around Zoubs and grabbed Jon's right forearm and pulled it down. The baseline ref called a jump ball..

It just seems like some guys in the league get picked on and for a long stretch this year both Jon and Miles have drawn the short straw...

striker219
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM

I don't want to be greedy, so I would happily accept the exact same winning percentage and not even a fraction of a percent better.

-bdbd
02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Great game guys. The whole team played well and didn't ever allow their crowd - aching for something to root for - ever get into it. No poor performances. Just solid all around. Worthy of a national #3 ranking (maybe?). This team is looking good for the month of March.

Paste the Terps!!!

roywhite
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Scheyer looked really good on his drives and made some great steals. From my completely unqualified medical view from my living room couch:), I'd say his back was not bothering him and he was able to move freely. Or, as Jon might say, "obviously" so.

gwwilburn
02-28-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't want to be greedy, so I would happily accept the exact same winning percentage and not even a fraction of a percent better.
Yeah, me too, but the games mean a little more from here on out. That's what I meant.

RainingThrees
02-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Funny stat that Duke was out rebounded in this game 28-27. Zoubek only had 4 rebounds, its the tired legs I tell you!

dball
03-01-2010, 12:21 AM
That arena is really nice. It is big. Probably means UVA joins the group of schools whose basketball arena could hold the entire undergrad population (Duke, Wake, UVA, Miami ?...probably others).

Without Landesberg, the Cavs are not very good. He is an All-ACC caliber player and he opens things up for Zeglinski and Jones on the perimeter. Meyinsse had a nice game but no one else mustered any fight. Zeglinski in particular is very streaky and can get very hot from 3.

Bennett will probably have UVA back in the mix in another year or two but he definitely needs a few more horses. Duke controlled this almost from go--UVA got the opening tip I believe. Singler was sensational in the first half on both ends of the floor. You can really appreciate his defensive effort when you see the game live.

JonnyWonder
03-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Great quote from Coach K from the ESPN recap of the game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300590258). This sure addresses the "X plays too much and will be tired in March!" critique:

Getting them rest in the game was not a priority, Krzyzewski said.

"I rest my guys in practice," he said. "Playing time, in the games, is really irrelevant. It's what you do between games. Our practices this week, teamwise, were no more than 50 minutes. ... That's how you take care of your guys. Guys want to play. They want to play."

This team has been a blast to watch all season. When I think about where we are now from where we were in the fall, it's pretty amazing. Onward to March!

cptnflash
03-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Seriously inferior competition tonight... UVA without Landesberg is roughly equivalent to Long Beach State or Coastal Carolina, to name two of our less distinguished non-conference foes from earlier this season. We'll find out whether this team is special on Wednesday. For the record, I really hope they are.

Bomar
03-01-2010, 01:15 AM
I invented a new drinking game: take a shot every time the announcers say "Sylven Landesberg."

juise
03-01-2010, 01:24 AM
I invented a new drinking game: take a shot every time the announcers say "Sylven Landesberg."

That's a recipe for getting blitzed.

Troublemaker
03-01-2010, 01:32 AM
It's just nice to have our boys play a game that's low-stress and un-exhausting. Duke is set up pretty nicely heading into the Maryland game now. The Terps have played 3 consecutive high-stress and exhausting games. Looking good.

Our team is improving as well. Kyle is starting to shoot better. And of course Z has stepped up his game recently. The players are also playing with more confidence, swagger, and verve since beating UNC. They've just been a lot more emotive on the court recently, which I love to see. All of this adds up to Duke being capable of blowing out good teams like Maryland, coming back from a double digit deficit like against Miami, and finally laying the smack down in the second halves (Tulsa) and closing minutes of close games (VaTech). Some of these things, we wouldn't have been capable of doing earlier in the season, especially the comeback against Miami. This team is just getting better, period. And it's reflected in Duke's ascension towards the top of kenpom's rankings. Love this team and their emotions, teamwork, and togetherness. I think we can go far in both tournaments this year.

loldevilz
03-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Thought we should give Coach K props for the adjustments he has made to Duke's offense to get Kyle scoring more. They have made a big statistical difference. In the last four games Kyle has been averaging 21 points per game. He is constantly getting good looks and getting to the foul line.

That said, I also wanted to say that I really liked Coach K's quote after the game: "We have to work together to make it happen, and that is why I like my team so much, because they have done that all year long".

ReformedAggie
03-01-2010, 07:04 AM
I just love this team and have all year. Was great to see Andre get playing time, tho he still has that "deer in the headlights" look about him at times. Wonder what Marshall Plumlee thought about his recruiting trip to Va. after that game. Probably: "wow I'll start as a freshman and play a full game" LOL

bird
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
What I have been looking for is any sign of a developing late season deterioration in Duke's play. Using Kenpom's individual game numbers and the Chronicle's methodology, I calculated our average net margin for ACC games in February 2008 at +9.3, and for February 2007 at -1.7. For 2009? +19.9. While I suppose someone who actually knows about statistics would say that the sample size is too small to draw any statistically valid conclusions, I say that the efficiency margin numbers (a) confirmed by subjective impressions; (b) and confirmed by W-L records (we lost two in February in 2008 and five in February 2007), indicate that there is absolutely no sign yet of a late season swoon.

gumbomoop
03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
What I have been looking for is any sign of a developing late season deterioration in Duke's play. Using Kenpom's individual game numbers and the Chronicle's methodology, I calculated our average net margin for ACC games in February 2008 at +9.3, and for February 2007 at -1.7. For 2009? +19.9.

Not trying to be irritating, but I assume you meant: '09, then '08, then '10?

77devil
03-01-2010, 08:14 AM
What I have been looking for is any sign of a developing late season deterioration in Duke's play. Using Kenpom's individual game numbers and the Chronicle's methodology, I calculated our average net margin for ACC games in February 2008 at +9.3, and for February 2007 at -1.7. For 2009? +19.9. While I suppose someone who actually knows about statistics would say that the sample size is too small to draw any statistically valid conclusions, I say that the efficiency margin numbers (a) confirmed by subjective impressions; (b) and confirmed by W-L records (we lost two in February in 2008 and five in February 2007), indicate that there is absolutely no sign yet of a late season swoon.

Do you mean +19.9 for 2010? Does the data for the other years pertain to the correct year? -appears to -

davekay1971
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
When we talk about how tough the ACC is compared to other conferences, it's largely because we don't usually see games like this. Every other conference, no matter how good they are at the top, has significantly weaker teams that provide breathers in the schedule. UVa, with Landesberg, would have been overmatched by Duke, but it would have been a more competitive game. Without him, they really looked overwhelmed in every way. Nice to have a game where our guys could take control from the beginning and have a relatively easy win.

Of course, that's also a credit to our guys. this could have been a trap game, but they came out with intensity, took control of the game, and never put it on "cruise control" until the very end, when most of the starters were out.

I get the feeling our juniors and seniors simply aren't capable of letting a team off the hook at this point. Whenever they talk about March, and their experience at the end of the season to date, you can hear the determination to put together their absolute best performance the rest of the way.

Great performance by Duke, and a nice lead-up to Wednesday. This is going to be Maryland's super bowl - senior night for Vasquez, a share of ACC regular season title at stake, their fans' most hated opponent. I have total confidence that our guys are going to rise to the challenge.

DoubleDuke Dad
03-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Wonder what Marshall Plumlee thought about his recruiting trip to Va. after that game. Probably: "wow I'll start as a freshman and play a full game" LOL

Or, I got free tickets to see my brothers play.

wilko
03-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I think Tony B. did a stand-up job.
He made the difficult, yet wise move of holding his injured player out. No sense in risking him long term and having it hurt worse or get complicated or something else. He deserves credit.

I would equally encourage Gary and Roy to do the same in the coming weeks so they are well rested. (it needed to be said) :D

hq2
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice to see Mason try that drive to the lane; nice looking jump shots, both. We need more of that. I think he's been a bit confused as to how to shoot; he has a number of post moves, none of them all that great yet, and he's still trying to decide which ones to use. Hopefully, he'll develop all of them. Once he gets it figured out, he'll be more and more of a force...but probably not till next year.

whereinthehellami
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Good game by Duke but UVA is bad. And I'm hearing that Landesberg is likely to go pro after this season. Bennett has his work cut out for him, as there is not much to like on this Hoo's team.

CDu
03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
With Landesburg not playing, this more or less became what should have been a scrimmage for Duke (even though it was on the road). UVa just doesn't have the weapons to compete at all without Landesburg. So the good news is that we didn't make it more of a game than it should have been.

Scheyer and Singler played pretty well. It was nice to see Scheyer regain his efficiency, which had been lacking in the past few games. Smith had an off-night. Hopefully he's just saving it up for Maryland and UNC. It was tough to see Zoubek go back to the foul-prone ways. Hopefully that's just a blip on the radar and he's back to his old (new) self again.

As for the frosh and Plumlee, it was an up-and-down showing. Mason had a few very nice moments in the second half. He showed more patience offensively than I've seen before, and he seems to be developing a go-to move in the post the turn-fade across the lane going to his right. Dawkins finally had a three to fall. Hopefully that will help his confidence. But the group (along with Miles) didn't have the best showing overall as a group, as I believe is evidenced by the +/- numbers.

UVa really focused on taking away rebounding opportunities. They boxed out like madmen and held us to only 2 offensive rebounds. They completely neutralized the strength of Zoubek's game. Defensively, they really tried to extend pressure to avoid us getting our offensive flow. They played hard despite being completely overmatched, so I'll give them credit.

There just really isn't too much to take out of this game from a positive or negative standpoint. We won and won comfortably. We got a chance to let the young guys play extended minutes. They looked good at times and not-so-good at times. Hopefully Mason and Dawkins have some positive thoughts that they can work with moving forward.

roywhite
03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
There just really isn't too much to take out of this game from a positive or negative standpoint. We won and won comfortably. We got a chance to let the young guys play extended minutes. They looked good at times and not-so-good at times. Hopefully Mason and Dawkins have some positive thoughts that they can work with moving forward.

Call me a wild-eyed optimist, but I see plenty of positives (and you listed some already).
Road wins in the ACC are always a good thing
Jon Scheyer looked more comfortable in his shooting; probably less soreness in his back? (does a guy with a bad back make that steal and dive?)
Minutes spread around some
Kyle looking like an all-ACC and All-America performer
Perimeter defense was outstanding against a team that was looking to shoot 3's
Turnovers again low

gumbomoop
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Call me a wild-eyed optimist.

I'm definitely going to do that, as I welcome any applicants to the Loony Optimists League [LOL??]

So, here's a LOL prediction [It's March, it's Monday, it's Madness], accompanied, implicitly, by a riddle: Our record this year will be 35-5.

If one assumes 35-5 [play along, now] there are only 4 possibilities, each of which involves some painful disappointment and some wonderful compensation.

I'm pretty sure I know which of the 4 virtually all of you would choose.

But you could surprise me.

davekay1971
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM
So, here's a LOL prediction [It's March, it's Monday, it's Madness], accompanied, implicitly, by a riddle: Our record this year will be 35-5.

If one assumes 35-5 [play along, now] there are only 4 possibilities, each of which involves some painful disappointment and some wonderful compensation.

I'm pretty sure I know which of the 4 virtually all of you would choose..

Yeah, I'll take that one additional loss on Wednesday.

So, here's how it plays out. Duke loses to Maryland. Twerp fans have a momentary relief from the misery that is their natural existence. Everyone in the national media immediately writes Duke off as a pretender. We get a 2 seed and, despite winning the ACC tournament, go in under the radar. KY is, of course, our 1 seed, since the NCAA/CBS are frothing at the idea of conjuring up the 1992 regional final game again. Duke struggles in the rematch with Villanova in our 2 vs 3 sweet 16 game, convincing everyone, including Wall, Cousins, and the rest of the young Cats, that the regional final is going to be a gimme. We contain contain Wall, beat KY, and go on to win it all. The IC officially declares 2009-2010 as the worst basketball season in the history of history itself.

Ahhhh...glad I bought the good stuff this time :p

airowe
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Nice to see Mason try that drive to the lane; nice looking jump shots, both. We need more of that. I think he's been a bit confused as to how to shoot; he has a number of post moves, none of them all that great yet, and he's still trying to decide which ones to use. Hopefully, he'll develop all of them. Once he gets it figured out, he'll be more and more of a force...but probably not till next year.

I agree. I hope he (and the other Freshmen) gained some confidence last night. Another positive: Mase finished the game with 0 fouls!

NSDukeFan
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I agree. I hope he (and the other Freshmen) gained some confidence last night. Another positive: Mase finished the game with 0 fouls!

I hope he can carry some of those over to future games.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone know where I can watch a replay of the game online? It's not ESPN, so can't do that.

Thanks in advance!

FDD

Maxwell1977
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone know where I can watch a replay of the game online? It's not ESPN, so can't do that.

Thanks in advance!

FDD

It's on FSN right now.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
It's on FSN right now.

Don't live in the country. Will need a URL (justin.tv, other video sites, etc.)

Thanks for the notice, though!