PDA

View Full Version : MBB: (4) Syracuse 95, (8) Villanova 77

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Didn't know where else to post this, so please feel free to move...

I'm watching this game rooting heavily for Cuse since I just can't get past the NOVA loss from last year.

Couple of questions...how is NOVA compared to last year? I refuse to watch them this year (this is my first game) and it seems like they aren't as feisty. What's the difference between this year and last?

Also, did anyone hear Bob Knight talking about Taylor King's "lack of defense"? He seems to ride him pretty hard....

-bdbd
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Not a big Big East fan, but they've been up in the top-3 of the Big East all year. Have had some less than impressive losses in the last few weeks, I believe vs Pitt and G'town. But they are still an outside-oriented team, with good speed. They did lose one of their studs from the squad that crushed us last March. I really wouldn't hate a rematch myself, say in a Regional Finals...

Tonight, we root for Nova, so Syracuse drops out of the top-4 and Duke moves in (and for the moment into an apparent #1 seed). Look at it as glass half-full either way for you Dukegirl!!

:D

rotogod00
02-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Not a big Big East fan, but they've been up in the top-3 of the Big East all year. Have had some less than impressive losses in the last few weeks, I believe vs Pitt and G'town. But they are still an outside-oriented team, with good speed. They did lose one of their studs from the squad that crushed us last March. I really wouldn't hate a rematch myself, say in a Regional Finals...

Tonight, we root for Nova, so Syracuse drops out of the top-4 and Duke moves in (and for the moment into an apparent #1 seed). Look at it as glass half-full either way for you Dukegirl!!

um, cuse winning by 20 with a minute to go

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I don't think I can ever root for Nova. I have one of those EXTREMELY unintelligent, annoying co-workers who just loves Nova so much b/c she thinks Jay Wright is the best looking coach. Seriously, what a great reason to like a team. I've tried to ask her about this year's team but she can't give me anything of substance.

She has made me despise NOVA.

I'm wondering what our rank will be after this weekend, but I'm one of those people who believe your rank means nothing until tournament time and the day after the season is over! ;)

Nova certainly looked like they could not match up with the inside play of 'Cuse.

InSpades
02-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Villanova lost their best player from last year (yes, their best player was Daunte Cunningham and not Scottie Reynolds). They also lost Dwayne Anderson who was sort of their "glue guy". Athletic, good defender, did everything well. They haven't really replaced either of them. Yarou is a big body inside but he's just a freshman and has a lot to learn. Taylor King is big step down from Anderson as well. They're still good, just not as good. If anything they are even more perimeter oriented than they have been in the past.

devildownunder
02-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Really enjoyed watching Syracuse throttle Villanova tonight. Jay Bilas says he still thinks Kansas is the best team in the country by a tiny margin over the Orange. We'll see I guess. Syracuse is definitely the best team I have seen but it's been a long time since I saw Kansas play.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Syracuse is definitely the best team I have seen but it's been a long time since I saw Kansas play.

The way they played tonight, absolutely.

But how in the world do you lose an exhibition game to a D2 team?
I heard one of the announcers say they played man to man that game...I find it hard to believe that was the only issue for them.

loldevilz
02-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Villanova is also in the race for a #1 seed and giving them this win would put them ahead of us possibly. Anyways one of them will be a #1 seed so it might be best if Syracuse wins.

This Villanova team doesn't play defense. Lucky for us, what's screwing them over this year is Taylor King. In a way we are getting them back for that horrible loss. They beat us once last year, but they have to deal with Taylor King for the whole year.

Duvall
02-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Villanova is also in the race for a #1 seed and giving them this win would put them ahead of us possibly. Anyways one of them will be a #1 seed so it might be best if Syracuse wins.

This Villanova team doesn't play defense. Lucky for us, what's screwing them over this year is Taylor King. In a way we are getting them back for that horrible loss. They beat us once last year, but they have to deal with Taylor King for the whole year.

Three whole years, unless he decides that a fourth school is more to his liking.

devildownunder
02-27-2010, 11:44 PM

I heard one of the announcers say they played man to man that game...I find it hard to believe that was the only issue for them.

eh, who knows. But that was waaaay back in early November. You can't judge a team by what happens on one night at the beginning of the season. They were playing a DII team. At home. At the start of the season. I think it's fair to say they failed to take lemoyne seriously and paid the price. It doesn't mean anything now.

A more meaningful question would be how did Louisville beat them a week or two ago.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM

This Villanova team doesn't play defense.

And from what I've seen, they don't run an offense....Reynolds and Fisher just want to shoot or take it to the rim every time....it's all about ME! (Is this why King transferred there? I wasn't "here" when that whole thing happened.)

I will admit, I watched a little of the game where Georgetown ripped NOVA to shreds and it was the Reynolds/Fisher ball hog fest.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 11:48 PM
eh, who knows. But that was waaaay back in early November. You can't judge a team by what happens on one night at the beginning of the season. They were playing a DII team. At home. At the start of the season. I think it's fair to say they failed to take lemoyne seriously and paid the price. It doesn't mean anything now.

A more meaningful question would be how did Louisville beat them a week or two ago.

Agreed....just wondering how a team that looks so polished can have that happen to them. True, it was eons ago but what a weird way to start the season.

I'm looking at the teams who are starting to heat up to make a run at the Big Dance...Cuse is one of them...could we be a team as well?

From the beginning of the year, everyone was talking UNC (ha) & Texas, and Nova was in the running, too....but they have fallen lately and I don't take that as a good sign for them come March.

devildownunder
02-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Agreed....just wondering how a team that looks so polished can have that happen to them. True, it was eons ago but what a weird way to start the season.

I'm looking at the teams who are starting to heat up to make a run at the Big Dance...Cuse is one of them...could we be a team as well?

From the beginning of the year, everyone was talking UNC (ha) & Texas, and Nova was in the running, too....but they have fallen lately and I don't take that as a good sign for them come March.

I think Villanova is good at what they do but is extremely perimeter oriented, so that limits their potential in the tournament. UNC will be lucky to reach the NIT although with their name recognition, if they are .500 or better, they'll get an invite to it. I haven't seen Texas play since they were ranked no.1 a couple of months ago. They are very talented I know that but not much else about how they are playing right now.

Kansas had a brief stumble but they appear to be playing really well now, and winning quite a few tough road games in a respected conference. Kentucky and K State will also get a lot of attention in the tournament.

The team I can't figure out if Georgetown. They lost at home to Notre Dame tonight. Brey's boys are making a surge but it's tough to figure out some of G'town's up and down play this year. They are in a tough league, though.

sagegrouse
02-28-2010, 12:10 AM

It was an exhibition game. It doesn't count. Syracuse was not necessarily trying to win. I have heard that Syracuse played man-to-man the entire game, which is about like a Coach K team playing zone the entire game.

sagegrouse

theAlaskanBear
02-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Villanova lost their best player from last year (yes, their best player was Daunte Cunningham and not Scottie Reynolds). They also lost Dwayne Anderson who was sort of their "glue guy". Athletic, good defender, did everything well. They haven't really replaced either of them. Yarou is a big body inside but he's just a freshman and has a lot to learn. Taylor King is big step down from Anderson as well. They're still good, just not as good. If anything they are even more perimeter oriented than they have been in the past.

^^ what he said. Nova this year kind of reminds me of Duke last year. They lost all their inside game from last year, so they will live and die off of 3's and driving. they need to hit threes to open up the driving lane, so when they struggle with shooting, they are a beatable team.

Oh, and I do NOT want to face Syracuse in the Tourney. with that unique zone D and athleticism, I think Duke would struggle against them. also, Boeheim is the one coach I respect nearly as much Coach K. He teaches the game the right way, develops his kids, and gets the most out of potential. The commentators tonight said that Syracuse does not have a player (or was it starter?) who was a top 100 recruit.

Jderf
02-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Also, did anyone hear Bob Knight talking about Taylor King's "lack of defense"? He seems to ride him pretty hard....

Maybe, instead, Knight should have chided him on his lack of offence. He's doubled his playing time from what he got in his year at Duke and has only increased his ppg by 2. Not much of a transformation. (It's not like any other stats have seen significant jumps either.)