PDA

View Full Version : Will Duke be #1 in the rankings?

GODUKEGO
02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Kansas #1 loses today along with #2 Kentucky. Syracuse #4 plays #8 Villanova tonight. Purdue #3 plays Michigan State #14 tomorrow without their #2 scorer. Possible we could jump from #5 to #1, if we take care of business at UVA???

Duvall
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Kansas #1 loses today along with #2 Kentucky. Syracuse #4 plays #8 Villanova tonight. Purdue #3 plays Michigan State #14 tomorrow without their #2 scorer. Possible we could jump from #5 to #1, if we take care of business at UVA???

No, not really. Why would Duke be ranked ahead of Kansas or Kentucky? Both have better records, and neither suffered a bad loss today.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2010, 06:33 PM
We haven't won our game yet. I expect we will, but don't jump the gun. :D

RoyalBlue08
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
no chance.

mgtr
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
We haven't won our game yet. I expect we will, but don't jump the gun. :D

I will second that. Probably Kentucky and maybe Kansas were thinking about "after they win today." Dangerous thinking.

turnandburn55
02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
#1? Doubt it. It does close the gap at the top and will muddy the picture for the selection committee, which certainly helps our case for a #1 seed.

GODUKEGO
02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
It is JUST POSSIBLE!!! Great that we can even have the conversation this late in the year!!

camion
02-27-2010, 06:47 PM
No. We aren't close to number one in the polls.

If we go undefeated for the rest of the regular season and win the ACC tournament then we'll be closer.

First we must beat Virginia.

RockLobster
02-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the most likely scenario is that Syracuse wins and jumps to #1, and the top 5 will look like this:

1. Syracuse
2. Purdue
3. Kansas
4. Kentucky
5. Duke

Now, if Syracuse loses:
1. Kansas (yes, I think they'll stay at #1)
2. Purdue
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. K-State

Of course, this is all assuming we beat the Cavs.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Purdue plays on sunday against a top 20 team.

gwwilburn
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Without their all-around best player.

mgtr
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I agree that there is little prospect for us to be ranked #1. I also doubt that it matters. On the other hand, our chances for a 1 seed did increase some ( combo of losses today and Hummel's injury). However, we have to take care of business. I believe, at this point, if we win out, we are a #1 seed. However, the difference between the last #1 seed and the first #2 seed is neglible in actual practice.
I think that the key point is that our fate is in our hands. There is no team this year which is unbeatable or even has a good lock on the National Championship -- we have about as good a shot as anybody, as shown today.

RockLobster
02-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Did not even realize this..it's Michigan State.

Could be a loss for Purdue, they barely got by Minnesota their last game.

If Purdue loses, I could easily see us moving up to #3.

And yes, of course the rankings don't really matter, but it's fun to talk about.

Dukeface88
02-27-2010, 07:26 PM
However, the difference between the last #1 seed and the first #2 seed is neglible in actual practice.

I agree with everything you've said but this. While the last 1 seed and the first 2 seed have the same Elite Eight match-up, I'd much rather see us play a 3 seed than a 4 seed in the Sweet Sixteen. The 1 seed is more likely to make it into the EE and is in better position when they get there from a playing in a (probably) less demanding game before.

RockLobster
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree with everything you've said but this. While the last 1 seed and the first 2 seed have the same Elite Eight match-up, I'd much rather see us play a 3 seed than a 4 seed in the Sweet Sixteen. The 1 seed is more likely to make it into the EE and is in better position when they get there from a playing in a (probably) less demanding game before.

Agreed. This could be the difference between playing a team like Georgetown in the Sweet 16 and a team like Butler, which is obviously huge.

1999ballboy
02-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I think the most likely scenario is that Syracuse wins and jumps to #1, and the top 5 will look like this:

1. Syracuse
2. Purdue
3. Kansas
4. Kentucky
5. Duke

Now, if Syracuse loses:
1. Kansas (yes, I think they'll stay at #1)
2. Purdue
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. K-State

Of course, this is all assuming we beat the Cavs.

Why do you have Purdue ahead of Kansas in one scenario and behind them in the other, despite the fact that their relative positions shouldn't be affected by the outcome of the Syracuse/Nova game? Personally, I don't think there's any chance Purdue jumps Kansas. MAYBE Kentucky. And I also don't see Syracuse dropping from the Top 5 if they lose this very tough game.

Basically, the Top 3 spots are really, really tough to crack for a team not already ranked up there. I agree that there is no chance whatsoever of Duke being ranked #1 following today and tomorrow's games. The question is, is Nova out of the hunt for a #1 seed in the tournament yet? If not, I think it's pretty obvious that tonight's game is a must-win. As Duke fans, should we resign to Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse getting the first 3 #1 seeds and root hard for Cuse tonight so Nova stays out of the hunt for the 4th one? Or should we root for Nova tonight to weaken Cuse, and then just hope Cuse and Kentucky both blow it in their conference tournament? Is there any hope at all that we get a #1 seed without being the last one in?

I'd be happy enough with the 4th #1 seed so I think I'm rooting for Syracuse tonight.

chrisheery
02-27-2010, 08:05 PM
No chance. Both teams have a better record than Duke and are considered by everyone that votes to be better than Duke. They were thought of as:

Kentucky and Kansas

Syracuse

Everyone esle (Duke, Purdue, etc)

They had a lot of room to fall before hitting us.

cptnflash
02-27-2010, 08:06 PM
No chance we're #1 in the polls on Monday. Best case scenario is #3 if Syracuse loses tonight (unlikely, only a 25% chance according to Pomeroy) and Purdue loses tomorrow (more likely). Only Syracuse can jump over Kansas and Kentucky.

And in my opinion, the best part BY FAR of being a #1 seed in the tournament is not having to play Kansas or Kentucky until the Final Four (or not at all if someone gets lucky and knocks them off).

moonpie23
02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
let's just take care of business at UVA.....let those peeps that do the polls worry about that...

watching the holes get a win today bummed me out....the duke team has to stay focused....look at these other top teams that lost theirs today...

eyes on the prize...

soccerstud2210
02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
let's just take care of business at UVA.....let those peeps that do the polls worry about that...

watching the holes get a win today bummed me out....the duke team has to stay focused....look at these other top teams that lost theirs today...

eyes on the prize...

my thoughts exactly. we don't need to be talking about being number one or getting a number one seed until we win tomorrow night. then we can think about that.

even after that we still have to play AT md and home against unsuck

-bdbd
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey - remember that OSU is right on our tails, at number 6, and they just beat a little team called KANSAS. It is conceivable that we win vs UVA and then move DOWN in the polls! This week's poll results will really be interesting. I think the only teams we could jump - if they lose and we win - are Purdue and maybe Syracuse. I doubt KY or KA slide down past 4th in any event. But the picture is getting pretty muddled.

That said, the season records are NOT the be-all-and-end-all of rankings, as pollsters tend to go with "what have you done for me lately", and SOS matters (as well as margins of loss/victory, to be honest). If KA or KY lose again this week, and Duke wins out, they will still have better records, but Duke would almost certainly move ahead in the polls then.

Just keep our eye on the ball -- win out and good things will happen.

:confused::confused::confused:

rotogod00
02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
no chance we're #1 (syracuse says hello). we could, however, be rpi top dog. except beating #113 virginia could actually hurt us.

InSpades
02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Hey - remember that OSU is right on our tails, at number 6, and they just beat a little team called KANSAS.

Kansas St. is #6. Oklahoma St. just beat Kansas. Oklahoma St. is not ranked. There's no way we are moving down unless we lose. We probably won't move up either (assuming Purdue wins).

DevilHorns
02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Cuse will be #1, and frankly, they deserve it. We don't (yet).

If we win out and take the ACC we will get that #1 seed.

devildownunder
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree that there is little prospect for us to be ranked #1. I also doubt that it matters. On the other hand, our chances for a 1 seed did increase some ( combo of losses today and Hummel's injury). However, we have to take care of business. I believe, at this point, if we win out, we are a #1 seed. However, the difference between the last #1 seed and the first #2 seed is neglible in actual practice.
I think that the key point is that our fate is in our hands. There is no team this year which is unbeatable or even has a good lock on the National Championship -- we have about as good a shot as anybody, as shown today.

If we run the table we are definitely a No.1 seed. The polls don't matter. What may be more significant this year than most years is being the No.1 overall seed. It seems like there is a big dropoff after the very top tier of teams, so getting that weakest 2 and 4, rather than strongest, may actually matter.

Must admit, that's based on casual observation and feel, though, not in-depth analysis.

Kfanarmy
02-28-2010, 12:09 AM
While I believe the talent on UK has come a long-long way toward being a great team over the season, I am not sure they are a lock for a #1 seed yet. They still have two loseable games, at UGA, whom they only beat by 8 on Kentucky's home court, and hosting UF who has been inconsistent but is capable of beating anyone, then the SEC tourney. Kentucky reasonably could lose two before the committee meets. On the other hand, so could Duke, and KU who plays KS and at Missou to end the regular season. So there still is a bit of maneuvering left before the #1s are settled. It is very possible for KS to take KU's spot and leap over Duke for that matter.

All of the teams at the top must take care of business before the conference tourneys begin if they want to insure their seeds.

CameronBornAndBred
02-28-2010, 01:03 AM
no chance we're #1 (syracuse says hello). we could, however, be rpi top dog. except beating #113 virginia could actually hurt us.
Not as much as if we lose. :D

SeattleIrish
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM

I'm sure I'm missing something, but why would playing a 3 be preferable to playing a 4? I would think it would be better to play the lower seed.

s.i.

snowdenscold
02-28-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm sure I'm missing something, but why would playing a 3 be preferable to playing a 4? I would think it would be better to play the lower seed.

s.i.

I assumed it was just a typo and meant to be reversed.

rotogod00
02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Not as much as if we lose. :D

guess it'd be considered a "bad loss", huh

G man
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Oarngemen
Jayhawks
Cats
BLUE DEVILS
WildCats

CameronCrazy'11
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
1. Kansas
2. Syracuse
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Purdue
6. Kansas State

mgtr
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
1. Kansas
2. Syracuse
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Purdue
6. Kansas State

If I had to bet on the order of the top 6, I guess I would go along with this ranking. Certainly the top four teams are correct, and I think the order of them is also correct.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I think Cuse is going to be #1, but besides that i'm not sure.

CameronCrazy'11
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Syracuse might jump Kansas in the polls, but Kansas is the better team.

devildownunder
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Syracuse might jump Kansas in the polls, but Kansas is the better team.

And you believe Kansas is better than Syracuse why?

RoyalBlue08
02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
1. Syracuse
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Kansas St.

I would be willing to be money this will be both polls tomorrow.

juise
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
1. Kansas
2. Syracuse
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Purdue
6. Kansas State

I think Purdue falls at least one more spot. The home loss coupled with the injury will cast serious doubt upon their future, IMO.

airowe
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
1. Syracuse
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. Duke
5. Kansas St.

I would be willing to be money this will be both polls tomorrow.

If this isn't it, there's something wrong. Gary Parrish has K-State ahead of us for some awful reason.

loldevilz
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Syracuse shouldn't jump Kansas though they probably will. Syracuse has two home losses and Kansas has two away losses. Also, Villanova was a bit too highly ranked which makes the win look better than it is.

Duvall
02-28-2010, 10:55 PM
If this isn't it, there's something wrong. Gary Parrish has K-State ahead of us for some awful reason.

Gary Parrish *is* the awful reason.

airowe
02-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Gary Parrish *is* the awful reason.

Seth Davis has it the same way...

Goodman is the only smart one.

MrBisonDevil
02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
There aren't many western U.S. teams that seem poised to snag a #1 West Region (Salt Lake City) seed. It will be interesting to see who goes out there as the #1.

I'm not sure if I would want a #1 seed in Salt Lake City over being a #1 or #2 seed in Syracuse, St Louis or Houston (those three cities are 9-12hrs from Durham).

Anyway, snagging a #1 seed doesn't mean much if your fans can't travel to support the team. It only allows you to beat your chest and claim a stat that doesn't mean much in the long run.

Duvall
02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Anyway, snagging a #1 seed doesn't mean much if your fans can't travel to support the team. It only allows you to beat your chest and claim a stat that doesn't mean much in the long run.

Well, that and getting an easier draw in the first three rounds of the tournament, which is much more important than fan support.

El_Diablo
02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Well, that and getting an easier draw in the first three rounds of the tournament, which is much more important than fan support.

And a pretty good chance of getting the "weakest" #2 seed as well.

MrBisonDevil
02-28-2010, 11:39 PM
And a pretty good chance of getting the "weakest" #2 seed as well.

I think Kansas + Syracuse are the favorites to make the Final Four. The rest of the top-16 are pretty much even. Any of them can win or lose versus each other. Therefore, I really do not see a "weakest #2 seed" based on the current ranking. Maybe better/favorable match-ups but this year there isn't a huge difference between the top-8 teams and the next-8 teams.

We'll see what happens over the next 2-wks (reg season + ACC tourney). No magic 8-ball on my desk.

Go Duke!

blazindw
02-28-2010, 11:45 PM
There aren't many western U.S. teams that seem poised to snag a #1 West Region (Salt Lake City) seed. It will be interesting to see who goes out there as the #1.

I'm not sure if I would want a #1 seed in Salt Lake City over being a #1 or #2 seed in Syracuse, St Louis or Houston (those three cities are 9-12hrs from Durham).

Houston's about 18 hours from Durham. I think I'd want us to be in Syracuse first, since it's closer to our bigger fanbases. Also, it guarantees we won't face Syracuse even if we're a 2 seed, since I believe they're the most dangerous team in the country right now.