PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Maryland 104, Virginia Tech 100 (2OT)

wgl1228
02-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Game starts in about a half hour and VT really needs this one. It will also allow Duke to at least tie for the ACC if they win tomorrow.

Duvall
02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Game starts in about a half hour

Nope. Game has been postponed to 6:30 due to a broken water main.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks...I've been sitting here wondering why it's not coming up on ESPN360.

Wonder how that will affect the teams and when they found out about the issue...

BD80
02-27-2010, 04:41 PM

They only thought it was a broken main. Turns out it was just Gary working up a pre-game sweat. The clean-up will still take hours.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the update ... I was going nuts trying to figure out what WRAL/WRAZ was doing.

For those who don't know, the Raycom affiliate in the triangle actually owns two stations. The State-Miami game was scheduled for WRAL, while the VPI-Maryland game was scheduled for WRAZ. For those with Time-Warner cable, there are also a couple of upper-tier channels that repeat WRAL/WRAZ stuff.

Anyway, I stay to the end of the UNC-Wake game (ugh!) then switch over to WRAZ, expecting to see the first few minutes of VPI-Maryland. Instead, they have State-Miami ... when I switch back to WRAL (which is also the CBS affiliate), they're also showing State-Miami. And both the upper tier channels are showing State-Miami.

I was freaking out -- all four raycom outlets on my system showing the meaningless State-Miami game and none showing the very important Maryland-VPI game??? If they explained the situation, I didn't see it.

I was so mad I was refusing to watch State-Miami out of spite. Now I can go back and see the second half (tied at the half).

Thanks for filling me in ... I'll be curious to see where the Maryland-VPI game shows up at 6:30

Indoor66
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I just heard the start time may be 7:00.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I'll be curious to see where the Maryland-VPI game shows up at 6:30

ESPN360.com...hopefully you can get that. I am so thankful Comcast finally decided to join the bandwagon and allow its customers to have access to it!

PS - HOPEFULLY that is what you meant!

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
VT - 37, Maryland 31 at the half.
I think this is the first time in my life I'm rooting for VT.

calltheobvious
02-27-2010, 08:05 PM
VPI has converted two baskets off of extremely lucky bounces trying to break Maryland's full-court pressure. And Vasquez hit virtually nothing from the field. I don't expect these patterns to continue.

It says here that Vasquez quiets the really obnoxious crowd there (chants of U-S-A while the General was at the line) as the Terps escape.

91_92_01_10_15
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
This game is streaming free here:

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=acc&media=170853

Bob Green
02-27-2010, 08:30 PM
This game is streaming free here:

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=acc&media=170853

Thanks! I tuned in just in time to see Vasquez score to cut VT's lead to 59-58.

3rd Dukie
02-27-2010, 08:30 PM
VT - 37, Maryland 31 at the half.
I think this is the first time in my life I'm rooting for VT.

I just came on here to say exactly the same thing!!

Duvall
02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Malcolm Delaney!

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Malcolm Delaney!

Maryland played such phenomenal defense on that last play!

mike88
02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
great game - Vasquez is making a strong case for ACC POY

calltheobvious
02-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Just for fun: if the officials had found upon further review that Hayes's feet were both behind the arc on the jumper with five seconds left, they'd have put a point up on the board and this baby would have been o-vuh.

chrisheery
02-27-2010, 09:17 PM
If Vasquez had to play Scheyer every game, we know who would be ACC POY.

chrisheery
02-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Just for fun: if the officials had found upon further review that Hayes's feet were both behind the arc on the jumper with five seconds left, they'd have put a point up on the board and this baby would have been o-vuh.

Exexpt it wasn't even close. Hayes had both feet on or over the line.

cptnflash
02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Terrible play by VT at the end of the first OT. How do you not even get a shot up in that situation?

cptnflash
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM

I would actually love to see those guys play one on one. I'm not sure who would win.

calltheobvious
02-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Exexpt it wasn't even close. Hayes had both feet on or over the line.

Lighten up, Francis, it was just for fun. I stand by what I wrote, which was the rule.

91_92_01_10_15
02-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Great game. Hopefully they'll have tired legs...

strawbs
02-27-2010, 09:50 PM
too bad vt couldn't do a better job of hitting free throws at the end

dukelifer
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Great game. Hopefully they'll have tired legs...

Maryland was on the ropes twice this week and came back. It will be very tough for Duke to beat Maryland's on Vasquez's senior night. That will be an intense, intense game and environment.

calltheobvious
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Maryland was on the ropes twice this week and came back. It will be very tough for Duke to beat Maryland's on Vasquez's senior night. That will be an intense, intense game and environment.

Agreed. But I'm about ready for Duke to ruin someone else's senior night.

Indoor66
02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
too bad vt couldn't do a better job of hitting free throws at the end

Never send a boy to do a man's job.

Jumbo
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM

I don't understand what this means.

striker219
02-27-2010, 11:43 PM

I know it doesn't necessarily add a lot to the thread, but can I add a "ditto" to this comment?

chrisheery
02-28-2010, 12:54 AM

Me neither.

I meant that Scheyer usually looks like the better player on the better team when he goes head to head with Vasquez. Yet, Vasquez seems to be leading the ACC POY race now, which sucks. I am probably seeing the world through blue tinted glasses, but it feels like Scheyer usually handles him well.

gw67
02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Terrific game! Both teams gave it their all for 50 minutes and neither deserved to lose. As of the second overtime, Milbourne and Williams, along with a couple of Hokies, were running on empty. Some random thoughts:

Of the five post ACC football schools, Tech has loudest and most raucous fans.
The baskets appeared to have the tightest rims in the ACC. Several close-in shots bounced off the rims like they were shot from 20 feet. They are certainly unlike the "soft" rims at CIS where they seem to deaden the ball.
The refs allowed a lot of physical play underneath the basket which was to Tech's advantage. Eventually, Maryland was sending all five players to the defensive board which nullified their fast break and IMO, played a role in the relatively low number number of assists garnered by Vasquez.
Vasquez's second half and overtime play may have earned him the ACC POY. After a poor shooting first half, he shot 11 for 23 and made all 10 of his foul shots. Most of the foul shots and field goals were in clutch situations.
All two or three folks, if that many, who thought at the beginning of the year that the Terps would win 11 conference games much less 12 or 13 hold up your hands. I figured that they would be better than last year and would likely win 9.
Tech played about as well as they could. Delaney, Allen and Hudson were outstanding and Thompson was excellent off the bench.

Another thought - for a league where home court has played a big role this year, all three visiting teams won their games yesterday.

gw67

ChicagoCrazy84
02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Dang it Virginia Tech! Why can't you take care of business at home?!?

I don't mean to be a downer, but it is seriously looking like we are going to be tied at the end of the season. When looking at Duke's schedule at the beginning of the season, I saw this next game as a loss. Going into Maryland is always tough, but with the ACC outright title on the line against Duke on senior day for Vasquez, Milbourne, and Hayes. Ugh, that place is going to be insane. We wouldn't be the first team to win on the road on someone's senior day, but it always makes it tough. Hopefully we can play well and have a shot.

ReformedAggie
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Did you see Vasquez pounding the floor last night? I wonder if he reads this boards and saw our thread about that? Ya, it's going to be tough, but I'm going to wear my Duke t shirt to all the stores because I live here in Maryland and all the clerks have on their Maryland t's before a game. (It gags me.) I think we're going to pull this one out by bringing the A game from all our guys. I have a great feeling about this game and think the Plumlees are going to shine as subs, Dawkins will hit at least 2 3's and zouberman and the s's will be their usual stellar selves. Having said that, I have also bought some Bombay gin and a jar of olives just in case:)

Indoor66
02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
All we have to do is take care of business, one day at a time.

pfrduke
02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Vasquez's second half and overtime play may have earned him the ACC POY. After a poor shooting first half, he shot 11 for 23 and made all 10 of his foul shots. Most of the foul shots and field goals were in clutch situations.

That was his "Al Thornton scoring 45 on the last day of the season to keep FSU's tourney hopes alive" moment. Of course, Jared Dudley ended up winning ACC POY that season, so who knows.