PDA

View Full Version : MBB: (17) Tennessee 74, (2) Kentucky 65

ivydevil
02-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Interesting game. I don't want to jinx it, but it's almost halftime and the score is 27-39. Kentucky has struggled in this game.

uncwdevil
02-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Interesting to note that KenPom had Kentucky barely winning this one 70-69.

Bomar
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
It seems UK can't buy one right now. I don't know his name, but it looks like UT has an injured fellow on the block call. CBS isn't saying peep about it though.

Edit: Guess he's ok.

slower
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Tennessee will stupid themselves out of this one. They are already starting to melt down.

Their stupidity is so irritating that I now hope UK blows them out.

ChrisP
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Tennessee will stupid themselves out of this one. They are already starting to melt down.

Their stupidity is so irritating that I now hope UK blows them out.

I don't. Like the baby rams up the road, I hate UK and their fans and I hope they lose every single game they play from now until the end of time.

DukeUsul
02-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Tennessee's halfcourt O looks clueless. And KY is getting a huge advantage in foul calls down the stretch.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Is DeMarcus Cousins too tired to run up the court? He's been cherry-picking the last few minutes (just started watching).

And OT, but what's up with Georgetown? They're so manic depressive!

slower
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't. Like the baby rams up the road, I hate UK and their fans and I hope they lose every single game they play from now until the end of time.

and THAT'S just how pissed I am at Tennessee.

BTW, CBS says they are NOW switching to the Holes game with UK-UT tied up. It's a moron epidemic.

jjasper0729
tie game with 2 mins to go. tennessee tried stall ball and hasn't been getting any good shots while kentucky has been getting the benefit of the whistles (though not as bad as against miss. state)

RoyalBlue08
Apparently in NC we are not going to get to watch the end of the game because the Wake-UNC beat down is about to start. What a joke.

uncwdevil
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Is it true that Tennessee was up by 19 in the second half?

Wow. Tough to blow that lead at home.

SushiChef
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Another reason to hate Carolina. CBS just cut to the UNC vs. Wake game right after UK tied up the game against Tenn.

jjasper0729
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
now what are the odds that if it was a duke game, that they stick with ut/uk until it's over and then join the devils in progress?

slower
02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Another reason to hate Carolina. CBS just cut to the UNC vs. Wake game right after UK tied up the game against Tenn.

is that the execrable Kevin Harlan is doing this game. Torture.

Looks like UT will pull off the upset.

DukeUsul
02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Why do we always have to wait for whatever Big East foul-fest is on first to finish before they cut to our games, but NIT-hopeful UNC fans get to watch their team lose starting from the tip?

ChrisP
02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
CBS Switching to what will most likely be a blowout in Winston vs. showing us the #2 team IN THE COUNTRY possibly about to lose for only the second time all season???

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Hmm...I'm watching CBS and there was not a cut-in to the Carolina game at all. Could it be the location?

El_Diablo
UT up five with :29 left and the ball...

airowe
http://atdhe.net/

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
The Golden Boy (aka John Wall) had two HUGE mistakes in the final 2 minutes.

ChrisP
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Hmm...I'm watching CBS and there was not a cut-in to the Carolina game at all. Could it be the location?

Yeah, I figured it was probably a regional thing - I'm in NC so that's prob why. Still....I think we could stand to miss the first few minutes of the UNC game. Jeez!

El_Diablo
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Tenn wins by 9.

ChrisP
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Tenn wins by 9.

Suuuuwheeeeet!

Duvall
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Why do we always have to wait for whatever Big East foul-fest is on first to finish before they cut to our games, but NIT-hopeful UNC fans get to watch their team lose starting from the tip?

You can't really compare national ESPN broadcasts to CBS regional coverage.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I figured it was probably a regional thing - I'm in NC so that's prob why. Still....I think we could stand to miss the first few minutes of the UNC game. Jeez!

Makes sense...I'm in PA. Yea, whoopdeeedooo! You miss the first 5 minutes of a crappy game to watch the #2 team go down. Go figure!

DukeUsul
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
You can't really compare national ESPN broadcasts to CBS regional coverage.

Why not? I can't think of any technological reason ESPN couldn't do the same.

uncwdevil
02-27-2010, 02:16 PM
is that the execrable Kevin Harlan is doing this game. Torture.

Looks like UT will pull off the upset.

I love Kevin Harlan. I guess we all look for different things in an announcer.

CLW
02-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Watched the entire game. The Cats played like the game meant "nothing" after their Coach stated a Conference Championship meant "nothing". Coincidence?

El_Diablo
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Headline on ESPN.com:

"Tennessee stunned No. 2 UK and likely played its way into the NCAA."

Huh? :confused:

Tennessee was already ranked #19 in the AP Poll and #17 in the Coaches' Poll. Lunardi had them as a 6-seed yesterday. I'm pretty sure they had already played their way in a long time ago. Furthermore, I'm not sure how "stunning" it is for a ranked team to win at home, even against the #2 team (and especially against THIS #2 team).

towerview road
02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I thought the UK/UTenn game was GREAT to watch because I think it exposed the problems UK is going to have in the tournament. Basically, Wall's BIG mistakes in the last minute or so demonstrated (IMHO) how vulnerable UK is when they are not able to just out-run and out-score the other team. I was not impressed with their defense or their ability to run any play except "steal-the-ball and/or run-really-fast-and-do-a-dunk-or-layup."

UK doesn't seem to think a whole lot on the floor (if that makes sense) - it seems their whole agenda is speed-enabling-inside-shots. I think teams that don't let them breakaway and/or slow down the game will be better off.

Congrats Bruce Pearl!

moonpie23
02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
that could be a problem for this team in a good regional game.....LOSING...

Bomar
02-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm glad I'm here in AL watching, got to see it to the end. That being said, I'm from Georgia, and when it comes to football I'm a DAWGS man all the way through, and hate anything related to Tennessee. I'm glad Kentucky lost but mad that UT won?!

Stray Gator
02-27-2010, 02:26 PM
To be honest, neither of these teams looked great. Kentucky made a huge comeback down the stretch, but that was largely due to Pearl switching to stall ball with more than 9 minutes to go, and the Vols painfully bleeding their lead by being absolutely inept at scoring from that offense. The only thing that saved the Vols from the embarrassment of a massive fail was Kentucky's own errors in the last minute, including a really poor decision by Wall to drive into a trio of Tennessee defenders and committing an obvious charge--although I fully expected the call to go the other way, given the lengths to which the SEC officials were going throughout the game to put the Cats on the free throw line. I really think that if Tennessee had continued to run their normal offense for another 5 minutes, they would have whipped Kentucky by at least 15 points.

uncwdevil
02-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Headline on ESPN.com:

"Tennessee stunned No. 2 UK and likely played its way into the NCAA."

Huh? :confused:

Tennessee was already ranked #19 in the AP Poll and #17 in the Coaches' Poll. Lunardi had them as a 6-seed yesterday. I'm pretty sure they had already played their way in a long time ago. Furthermore, I'm not sure how "stunning" it is for a ranked team to win at home, even against the #2 team (and especially against THIS #2 team).

Exactly, Tennessee was a 2 or 3 point underdog in this game. Pretty close to a coin-flip.

hood7
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Somehow, you know this makes it even more likely that Duke will play Kentucky in the Elite 8. Oh joy.

Saratoga2
02-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Well, no team this year can claim dominance. Perhaps Kansas is the best all around team and we can see how Syracuse does against Villanova. Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse are still all #1 seeds and unlikely to lose the seeding. We just need to keep winning to keep our chance for the remaining #1 seed.

slower
02-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I love Kevin Harlan. I guess we all look for different things in an announcer.

This is true.

Bomar
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Somehow, you know this makes it even more likely that Duke will play Kentucky in the Elite 8. Oh joy.

I think the main thing if that were to happen is Duke would have to have good control of the ball, and with Scheyer we have that, and good rebounding. We can have that as well, the big fellas would have to bring their game. I think if we covered those two things, there would be a decent chance at winning. I'm not saying it will be easy, just saying those two things would be very important IMHO.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm guessing the viewpoint is that we're getting a #2 seed?

We need to take care of business, but I think we can't count out a #1 seed.

theAlaskanBear
02-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing the viewpoint is that we're getting a #2 seed?

We need to take care of business, but I think we can't count out a #1 seed.

If Duke wins out, and DOESN'T get a one-seed, we have been hosed. That said, we need to finish out the season and the ACC tourney undefeated. But our record stands up to the other #1's.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Kansas is struggling right now.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
If Duke wins out, and DOESN'T get a one-seed, we have been hosed. That said, we need to finish out the season and the ACC tourney undefeated. But our record stands up to the other #1's.

Totally agree....I know some of the early projections had us as a 2 in the same bracket as Kentucky, but I think we can work our way in to a 1 seed if we keep winning, so not sure why everyone's still thinking we'll be in Kentucky's bracket.

Acymetric
02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
It seems to me the key to offense against UK is to push the ball up the court and hope they don't hustle in transition (or go for a big play and end up leaving you wide open). Failing that, run your half court offense, run down the clock and pass the ball until they make a glaring mistake and leave someone open. I didn't watch the whole game, but from the parts of this game I saw and previous games, it seems like thats where almost all the points come from.

Underdog5
02-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Totally agree....I know some of the early projections had us as a 2 in the same bracket as Kentucky, but I think we can work our way in to a 1 seed if we keep winning, so not sure why everyone's still thinking we'll be in Kentucky's bracket.

...I do think we need Cuse and Purdue to lose. If not, I think they along with UK and KU will be the ones. I'm actually hoping will end up the strongest 2 and maybe end up with the weakest 1 and not the weakest 1 with the strongest 2. I know its not that simple but would love to be the 2 in a bracket with Purdue as the 1.

DukeGirl4ever
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm actually hoping will end up the strongest 2 and maybe end up with the weakest 1 and not the weakest 1 with the strongest 2. I know its not that simple but would love to be the 2 in a bracket with Purdue as the 1.

I like the way you think.
Of course this is all just fun speculation...but I need something to occupy my time with all of this snow!;)

El_Diablo
02-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Pat Forde: "Kentucky also made an unwise fashion statement, with the entire team (Calipari included) wearing camouflage hats into Thompson-Boling for their Friday practice."

Anyone know why UK wore the hats? :confused:

Mcluhan
02-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Pat Forde: "Kentucky also made an unwise fashion statement, with the entire team (Calipari included) wearing camouflage hats into Thompson-Boling for their Friday practice."

Anyone know why UK wore the hats? :confused:

Weird. Shades of Miami football in the 80s.

mgtr
02-28-2010, 04:45 AM
...I do think we need Cuse and Purdue to lose. If not, I think they along with UK and KU will be the ones. I'm actually hoping will end up the strongest 2 and maybe end up with the weakest 1 and not the weakest 1 with the strongest 2. I know its not that simple but would love to be the 2 in a bracket with Purdue as the 1.

If I understand how the brackets work, the weakest 1 seed will always end up playing the strongest 2 seed (assuming everybody wins as ranked). But looked at another way, the weakest 1 seed is actually the #4 overall ranked sseding, and the strongest 2 seed is the #5 overall. In other words, no real difference between those two. They would be in the same bracket, although in different halves of the bracket.

El_Diablo
02-28-2010, 08:48 AM
If I understand how the brackets work, the weakest 1 seed will always end up playing the strongest 2 seed (assuming everybody wins as ranked). But looked at another way, the weakest 1 seed is actually the #4 overall ranked sseding, and the strongest 2 seed is the #5 overall. In other words, no real difference between those two. They would be in the same bracket, although in different halves of the bracket.

No, geography and the avoidance of conference pairings throws the bracketing process off. See Lunardi's Friday Q&A article (if you have ESPN Insider). Or read the "Bid for the no. 1 seed" thread--starting with where Jumbo and SCMatt33 prove uh_no is incorrect on page 10.

mgtr
02-28-2010, 09:00 AM
No, geography and the avoidance of conference pairings throws the bracketing process off. See Lunardi's Friday Q&A article (if you have ESPN Insider). Or read the "Bid for the no. 1 seed" thread--starting with where Jumbo and SCMatt33 prove uh_no is incorrect on page 10.

I understand that there is fine tuning to avoid two teams from the same conference meeting too early in the tournament, but my point still stands at this time of the season. In other words, sometimes the real world interferes with the ideal.

El_Diablo
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I understand that there is fine tuning to avoid two teams from the same conference meeting too early in the tournament, but my point still stands at this time of the season. In other words, sometimes the real world interferes with the ideal.

No, if your point is that "the weakest 1 seed will always end up playing the strongest 2 seed (assuming everybody wins as ranked)" then it does not still stand. It's not just about avoiding certain matchups...it's about affirmatively placing teams into brackets based on geography at the expense of the strict line seeding (1-65).

I'll explain in the appropriate thread rather than hijack this one...please stand by for a sec and then check the "bid for the no. 1 seed" thread.