PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Crazie question.

Devilsfan
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Last night most all the students in the Cameron Crazie section were in school colors and rooting on the Devils. "Most". There were four people holding up third world flags and not cheering for our team nor in anything that resembled our Duke Blue colors. Shouldn't this sectioned be reserved for fans of basketball and our beloved Devils? Our team sometimes needs all the backing from fellow students it can get and to waste four spaces is a crime. Just one fans opinion.

allenmurray
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Last night most all the students in the Cameron Crazie section were in school colors and rooting on the Devils. "Most". There were four nasty looking people holding up third world flags and not cheering for our team nor in anything that resembled our Duke Blue colors. Shouldn't this sectioned be reserved for fans of basketball and our beloved Devils? Our team sometimes needs all the backing from fellow students it can get and to waste four spaces is a crime. Just one fans opinion.

It is not all that uncommon for a few fans of the opposing team to end up in the student section. I didn't see any bad behavior from anybody last night.

I did see a student hold up a flag for a minute or two, but I didn't get a good look at it. At first I thought it might be a Jamaican flag (for Jerome Jordan) but then I remembered what the Jamaican flag looks like and realized what I saw (it was held by students in the last row, at about mid-court) had a white background and the Jamaican flag is green, black, and gold.

To what flag (and what exactly does "nasty looking people" mean) are you referring?

jjasper0729
02-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know about "nasty looking people", but the people in question (and this will probably throw this thread in the public policy arena) were holding up a few flags. One was the United Nations flag, one was the flag of Turkey, one was the flag of Lebanon and one was the flag of (I THINK) Iraq. Not sure about it. There might have been a 4th national flag as well but can't remember now.

They were getting admonished by the people in the front row of the upper level whose view they were obstructing all throught he first half. I noticed in the second half, the people in question were gone, but some others had the flags and they were being worn as scarves.

Devilsfan
02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Sorry for that remark, it was in bad taste. I removed it quickly. All students can't and shouldn't have the clean cut apearance of a Duke Basketball player. College is a place for free expression.

billy
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
That was a strange event at the game last night. The people holding the flags clearly appeared to be Duke students (complete with Duke shirts). The folks above the rail (I was sitting in the upper section behind the grad student section on the press table side) were really letting them have it. As far as I could tell, the students weren't waving the flags during action and didn't appear to be blocking anyone's view. One man, sitting in the second row behind the rail, grabbed a flag away from the students for a few minutes before handing it back to them. Another man stood, during a timeout, and appeared to be yelling and gesturing repeatedly with his finger at several students, for at least 30 seconds, during a time out. Most of what I saw occurred during timeouts; unless the flags were hitting the fans in the upper section, I can't imagine the source of consternation, especially given the people with the flags appeared to be students.

lpd1982
02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Could this expression possibly be one of support during the olympics? We are blessed with an international student body and it IS the Olympics. Perhaps they were students merely mugging a show of support for the cameras, like the sign that said "Our 7 footer is better than yours"

RoyalBlue08
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
If only 'Ole Roy was there. He would know how to handle this...

Devilsfan
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I believe they were merely showing love and admiration from their countries to our leader and point guard Jon Scheyer.

SushiChef
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I saw the flags and couldn't make any sense of it. From what I could see they had a U.N. flag, an Israeli flag, an Indian flag, a Turkish flag and a Mexican flag.