Jumbo
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Tulsa?

weezie
02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Lord Zoubs!

BlueintheFace
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Can't think who else I could make a case for if not Zoubek. For once I honestly can't make a case for Jon. Hope he bounces back.

mgtr
02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I feel like a broken record - but I voted for Zoubs again. He came to play, along with Singler. Smith and Scheyer seemed flat, somehow.

juise
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Zoubek was efficient and productive against Tulsa's big dudes. I had to give him my vote.

OldSchool
02-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Kyle posting and driving his man and getting to the line when the game was in doubt. I wonder if sometimes Duke fans don't take Kyle for granted. He makes a difference in so many ways, even if they don't always jump out in the stats. What a terrific basketball player, in every facet of the game.

Zoubs and Nolan also very strong, and Lance came up big with rebounds. Jon solid, only one turnover.

jv001
02-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Zoubs with 10 pts, 11 rebs, 3 assts, 0 tos, 1 stl, 2 blks and held his own against a big center.. Good game for Nolan, Jon and Kyle. But it's Zoubs..Go Duke!

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Kyle posting and driving his man and getting to the line when the game was in doubt. I wonder if sometimes Duke fans don't take Kyle for granted. He makes a difference in so many ways, even if they don't always jump out in the stats. What a terrific basketball player, in every facet of the game.

Zoubs and Nolan also very strong, and Lance came up big with rebounds. Jon solid, only one turnover.

I agree. I'm surprised Kyle isn't getting more votes here.

Saratoga2
02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I voted for Zoubek but clearly Singler was a big difference maker in the game as well.

Wander
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Opponent's leading scorer 8 points on 15 shots? Thank you, Nolan.

strawbs
02-25-2010, 09:31 PM
personally i don't think anyone stood out during this game and i thought about not voting. I ended up going with big Z because he had a couple nice post moves. If we had a (not the) man of the match award i'd say that was mp2. He really looked bad tonight imo. He wasn't committing as many dumb fouls, but he just looks weak on offense.

camion
02-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I voted for Kyle because he was sweating more than anyone else on the court. He had a chin waterfall going for most of the game.

In truth I thought the team as a whole played well and the only jaw dropping plays were Zoubs moves.

CLW
02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Z is just on fire right now. Not sure what has happened but it all seems to finally have clicked for the big guy. Double double on 4-5 from the field. The "Big 3" continue to put up points but are not shooting particularly well right now (33% from the field tonight). Concerned they may be fading down the stretch. However, if the team adjusts somewhat and starts pound the ball down low with Zoubs it could take some pressure off the big three.

weezie
02-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Would never take Kyle for granted, he's definitely the engine. He attracts so much defense and attention, takes such a physical pounding every game, it's probably making him immensely happy that the Zoubster is showing some spark.
Kyle carries us!

CameronBornAndBred
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I feel like a broken record - but I voted for Zoubs again. He came to play, along with Singler. Smith and Scheyer seemed flat, somehow.
I paid more attention to Nolan in the second half..or he made me notice him more. I thought he had a pretty solid game with some great defense.

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
I voted for Kyle...I think there was a span of 3-4 plays in a row where K ran the same play....Kyle gets the ball at the wing after a pass from Nolan...Nolan runs down around a Zoubek screen to the same side (baseline area) as Kyle and they run basically a clear-out for Kyle.

My memory is horrible, but I think he scored or got fouled each time they ran that play. K def. had a plan there, and Kyle delivered.

OldSchool
02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Would never take Kyle for granted, he's definitely the engine. He attracts so much defense and attention, takes such a physical pounding every game, it's probably making him immensely happy that the Zoubster is showing some spark.
Kyle carries us!

I think if people watched a video replay with one of those spotlight graphics on Kyle at all times there would be more recognition of what a tremendous player he is and how he contributes at a high level every second he is on the floor, whether or not his shots are falling.

Bob Knight said something similar, but I think that if you had a team of five Kyles all of appropriate sizes, e.g. a 6'11" Kyle center, a 6'2" Kyle point guard, that team in my mind would be a favorite to get to the final four.

I'm not saying Zoubs didn't have a great game. I've been a consistent big defender of Zoubs on this board for years and I am thrilled to see his emergence. Brian is a role player, and he is performing at his role better than he ever has, and his improved play could make the difference in Duke going far in the NCAAT this year. But Kyle, as you say, is the engine of this team.

mike88
02-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't think that Zoubek's emergence and Kyle's increased productivity are coincidental. They play off each other very well, whether its Kyle coming off Z's screens (leaving Z a clear path to rebound) or Kyle feeding Z and getting the return pass off the cut. With Kyle shooting better from the outside, there is less congestion for Z in the post as well. It is also remarkable how effective Z can be with a limited number of touches- his shooting % has been amazing lately. We have reached a nice offensive balance, even if it wasn't achieved in exactly the way many suspected it would be!

arnie
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Give the whole team the award - only 4 turnovers. Hard to believe considering how aggressive we were with the ball.

SupaDave
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I think if people watched a video replay with one of those spotlight graphics on Kyle at all times there would be more recognition of what a tremendous player he is and how he contributes at a high level every second he is on the floor, whether or not his shots are falling.

Bob Knight said something similar, but I think that if you had a team of five Kyles all of appropriate sizes, e.g. a 6'11" Kyle center, a 6'2" Kyle point guard, that team in my mind would be a favorite to get to the final four.

I'm not saying Zoubs didn't have a great game. I've been a consistent big defender of Zoubs on this board for years and I am thrilled to see his emergence. Brian is a role player, and he is performing at his role better than he ever has, and his improved play could make the difference in Duke going far in the NCAAT this year. But Kyle, as you say, is the engine of this team.

Hmmm, Kyle as engine. Nolan as wheels. Jon as driver. Zoubs as the body. Lance as the interior. While Kelly, Mason, Miles, and Andre are all the bells and whistles. I like it.

loldevilz
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I think its time someone said this:

Zoubek is a really good player and we should stop acting so surprised every game.

cbnaylor
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I believe Z playing well was the key to Duke being successful but I thought the man of the match was Kyle.

soccerstud2210
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Opponent's leading scorer 8 points on 15 shots? Thank you, Nolan.

agreed. vote to nolan

although zoubs was a beast again. here's to his game continuing to rise!

Hermy-own
02-25-2010, 11:07 PM
personally i don't think anyone stood out during this game and i thought about not voting. I ended up going with big Z because he had a couple nice post moves. If we had a (not the) man of the match award i'd say that was mp2. He really looked bad tonight imo. He wasn't committing as many dumb fouls, but he just looks weak on offense.

Guess which side of the ball he (and his brother) didn't look lost on? Defense.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Kyle got my vote tonight for MOTM. His scoring and overall play in the first half was key. Zoubs will get my vote for BedevilerOTM over on Crazietalk.net.

A note on Brian Zoubek. I paid attention to his play at the defensive end of the court during the first 4 to 5 minutes. The defensive light has gone on, without a doubt. His movement - down low, step out, move back in, and his coordination with Lance Thomas on help-side defense, was just amazing. Watching them throughout the game was like watching a world class ballet! It was beautiful to watch. Zoubs movements were equally good when Lance was out of the game, although the Plumlee's don't yet have the switching concepts down like Lance does.

DukeBlood
02-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I went with Singler. As many as you have stated, He just does everything for this team. Zoubek played great on both sides of the ball. Smith got his points but took him quite a few shots. I thought his on the ball D was superb though! What about Lance's toughness for rebounds? Jon did alot of little things that help win games.

I think Zoubs, Singler, Nolan and maybe even Jon could be MOTM. A solid game and lets keep the momentum rolling.

licc85
02-25-2010, 11:37 PM
here's an interesting stat: in games where zoubek has attempted 5 or more shots, we have won by an average of 26.64 points. Coincidence? I think we need to give him more touches.

InSpades
02-25-2010, 11:53 PM

But would they beat a team of 5 Ditkas? What if some of them were mini-Ditkas?

I'm pretty sure if Duke could clone Singler once that this team would be a big favorite to get to the final four. 5 Singlers might never lose a game.

OldSchool
02-26-2010, 12:04 AM
But would they beat a team of 5 Ditkas? What if some of them were mini-Ditkas?

I would say advantage to the 5 Kyles, but that game would set a record for black eyes and floor burns.

DukieInBrasil
02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
But what about 5 Singlers vs 5 Laettners? or even mini-Laettners? Or would that create such an imbalance in the universe that the subsequent conflagration would tear the fabric of reality apart?
CL was a nasty, nasty college player. He was also a much more than competent NBA player (All-star once) until he tore his Achilles.

flyingdutchdevil
02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I trump all of you. 5 Grants. Can anyone do better (no - LeBron did not come to Duke)

allenmurray
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I trump all of you. 5 Grants. Can anyone do better (no - LeBron did not come to Duke)

That is way too easy - five Patrick Davidsons.

flyingdutchdevil
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
That is way too easy - five Patrick Davidsons.

We're talking about basketball, not the ability to pick up girls

(Side note: sad I'm still with my girlfriend despite her absolute love for PD)

Acymetric
02-26-2010, 02:27 PM

And with Grant I think you can build the other four with the same size and weight specs as the first...no need (or even desire) to make them bigger for the post or smaller for the perimeter!