PDA

View Full Version : Hummel injury

Morris614
02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Robbie Hummel has an knee injury, in the first half on their game today against Minn. Not sure what happened. As much as I would like a number 1 seed, I do hope he isnt out long. He seems like a really level headed player.

Newton_14
02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Robbie Hummel has an knee injury, in the first half on their game today against Minn. Not sure what happened. As much as I would like a number 1 seed, I do hope he isnt out long. He seems like a really level headed player.

Yeah, I really hope it is not a serious injury that causes him to miss a lot of time. I like the kid's game and would hate to see him go down at this time of the year.

dukemsu
02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Purdue people have floated that it was an ankle, but postgame confirmed it's some sort of knee injury, severity unknown.

I have zero use for the Boilers, but Hummel's a hell of player and he had a broken bone in his back last year. Tough to see him take another injury.

dukemsu

YourLandlord
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Robbie Hummel has an knee injury, in the first half on their game today against Minn. Not sure what happened. As much as I would like a number 1 seed, I do hope he isnt out long. He seems like a really level headed player.Just a terrible injury. Had Purdue -3, they won by 1. Ugh.

crimsonandblue
02-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Ankle and foot went out on the plant. Knee went in. I'm no doctor, but it didn't look good, and him back on the bench with crutches instead of icing and elevating the knee don't bode well.

As for Purdue losing with Hummel gone, ehh. If there's evidence that Hummel will be back and playing, the committee will consider that in evaluating any loss. Heck, Purdue scrapped back strong tonight at the Gophers. Minnesota had a lot of momentum, was getting the ball inside, held Purdue down for a big stretch of the start of the second half while building an 8 or 9 point lead, and still couldn't hold off Hummel-less Purdue.

If they can show the Committee that Hummel will be back, this win tonight with Hummel hurt will cement them as a 1. Even if he's not back, they Committee will have a hard time docking Purdue if they keep winning games like this. And I think they can beat MSU at home even without Hummel.

It was a gutsy effort.

SCMatt33
02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
As for Purdue losing with Hummel gone, ehh. If there's evidence that Hummel will be back and playing, the committee will consider that in evaluating any loss. Heck, Purdue scrapped back strong tonight at the Gophers. Minnesota had a lot of momentum, was getting the ball inside, held Purdue down for a big stretch of the start of the second half while building an 8 or 9 point lead, and still couldn't hold off Hummel-less Purdue.

If they can show the Committee that Hummel will be back, this win tonight with Hummel hurt will cement them as a 1. Even if he's not back, they Committee will have a hard time docking Purdue if they keep winning games like this. And I think they can beat MSU at home even without Hummel.

The committee will only consider an injury if he IS back and the team has re-established its pre-injury level. The committee does not speculate about a player's return or his effectiveness if he comes back during the tournament, they will only consider the team that is active as of Selection Sunday. If Hummel is hurt to the extent that they he will not be back until the tournament begins, Purdue will be looked at as if they don't have him.

Your second point is right on, however. If there is no noticeable drop-off in the next few games from their current level, the committee won't dock them, because the effect was small.

JasonEvans
02-25-2010, 07:24 AM
There are some heated and controversial feelings expressed in this thread. Lets all calm down, ok.

If we are striving for good taste, we as fans should be careful about discussing injuries. In the opinion of this moderator, talking about the impact of an injury on a team is fine. Rooting for injury is not.

I think we all know that Purdue minus Hummel could have a serious impact on that team's success and seeding. I am not sure the point in discussing it further. Anything more at this point is really just blond conjecture and something that probably borders on poor taste.

So, I would respectfully ask that folks carefully consider their reasons before posting any more in this thread. Is there really that much more that needs to be said?

--Jason "the Mods have not handed out infractions here... not yet" Evans

sagegrouse
02-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Duke has an outstanding team that is capable of beating anyone in the country. The Devils need to take care of business! It isn't about Purdue -- we aren't even scheduled to play and, given the vicissitudes [oooohh!] of the NCAAs, probably won't.

Moreover, if we were to meet in the regional finals, wouldn't we all prefer to play a team with Robbie Hummel? I think Duke wins this game. Long ago, in the same setting, Purdue had Big Dog, Temple had Mark Macon, and G'town had Alonzo. Duke won all three games.

sagegrouse
'Bob Green and Jason Evans already said everything that needed to be said'

cbnaylor
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I hope Hummel comes back for their next game. I rather Duke earn a number 1 seed instead of be given a number 1 seed due to an injury. That's just twisted and who's to say that we even win tonight?

hurleyfor3
02-25-2010, 09:25 AM
If their hummel is damaged, can't they just get another one on ebay?

jv001
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I hope Hummel comes back for their next game. I rather Duke earn a number 1 seed instead of be given a number 1 seed due to an injury. That's just twisted and who's to say that we even win tonight?

I sure would not like to hear a tarhole fan saying they wish Singler, Jon or Nolan gets hurt. I hope that Hummel does not miss any time on the court. Get well soon and Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
02-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I sure would not like to hear a tarhole fan saying they wish Singler, Jon or Nolan gets hurt. I hope that Hummel does not miss any time on the court. Get well soon and Go Duke!

I'm sure unc fans thought they had a #1 seed locked up in 2001 when Boozer went down. The reason they ended up a #2 that year was because we then proceeded to beat them twice without him. Sometimes an injury makes you play harder and develop parts of your team you hadn't previously.

duke4life32182
02-25-2010, 10:20 AM
If we take care of business and win all of our remaining games. The #1 seed will take care of itself.

bill brill
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
the committee almost surely will drop them in the seedings. that happened to cincinnati which was a lock no. 1 until kenyon martin was hurt in the last game of the season. they were bumped down, and lost in the first round. I have participated in the NCAA's mock bracketing, in which the media are given the exact info that the real comnittee gets. one of the pieces of instruction was that if the star player was hurt and out, that should be considered. it didn't say u had to lower their seed, but the implication to me seemed obvious. bb

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Just saw the injury on SportsCenter. That injury looks pretty serious, possibly ligament damage. BUT, I'm no doctor.

The oh great Doug Gottlieb did say that Purdue will most likely drop to a 2 seed as a result of the injury. My thoughts before this whole process is that they were never a 1 seed to begin with.

cbnaylor
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I could have seen Purdue drop to MSU this weekend with or without Hummel.

BlueintheFace
02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
the committee almost surely will drop them in the seedings. that happened to cincinnati which was a lock no. 1 until kenyon martin was hurt in the last game of the season. they were bumped down, and lost in the first round. I have participated in the NCAA's mock bracketing, in which the media are given the exact info that the real comnittee gets. one of the pieces of instruction was that if the star player was hurt and out, that should be considered. it didn't say u had to lower their seed, but the implication to me seemed obvious. bb

Bill Brill, didn't you hear? We aren't supposed to talk about how an injury might help Duke, even if it is relevant. (sarcasm very much implied)

I agree though, that this has historically had an effect on seeding. Does anybody remember what the effect of Boozer's injury was on our seeding? I don't remember it having an effect.

hurleyfor3
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Calling a timeout on this thread for now.

JasonEvans
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
There are multiple reports from Purdue that Hummel has suffered a torn ACL and is done for the year. It has not been confirmed by anything official yet, but a lot of unofficial sources are talking about it:

http://blogs.post-trib.com/osipoff/2010/02/update-on-hummel.html

http://bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/02/25/robbie-hummel-update-return-unlikely-with-acl-tear/

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1056402

While I am sad to see a great player like this go down and think it is unfortunate for Purdue, there can be no denying that this likely helps Duke's quest for a #1 seed in the tournament. We will see how Purdue bounces back in their difficult game with MSU this weekend.

-Jason "I am reopening this thread, though I ask that folks keep their comments respectful" Evans

blueprofessor
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
OSU will likely be Purdue's toughest pre-NCAA tourney test w/o RH if the 2 teams meet in the Big 10 Tournament.
Unfortunately, fans have seen these knee injury catastrophes before.

Two of the greatest Indiana teams of all-time lost key players to knee injuries just before the NCAA tourney:
Scott May in 1975
Alan Henderson in 1993
Both times IU was number one in the polls and , at least in 1975, the heavy favorite to win the NC, as they did in 1976.

Hummel is arguably more important to his team than May and Henderson because those IU teams had lots of outstanding talent.
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2010/02/robbie-hummel-injury-disappointing-even-to-iu-fans/

I am sick for this kid because he is an awesome team player and terrific player who has already been through a severe back injury.

Best to all-----especially RH---Blueprofessor

CDu
02-25-2010, 02:24 PM
There are multiple reports from Purdue that Hummel has suffered a torn ACL and is done for the year. It has not been confirmed by anything official yet, but a lot of unofficial sources are talking about it:

http://blogs.post-trib.com/osipoff/2010/02/update-on-hummel.html

http://bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/02/25/robbie-hummel-update-return-unlikely-with-acl-tear/

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1056402

While I am sad to see a great player like this go down and think it is unfortunate for Purdue, there can be no denying that this likely helps Duke's quest for a #1 seed in the tournament. We will see how Purdue bounces back in their difficult game with MSU this weekend.

-Jason "I am reopening this thread, though I ask that folks keep their comments respectful" Evans

If true, that's really unfortunate for Hummel. He's had bad luck with injuries the past two years (back and now knee). Hopefully these reports are false. If they are true, I wish him a speedy recovery.

As for Purdue, if he is out for the season then they are likely not going to end up a #1 seed. I'd expect a #2 or even #3 (depending upon how they finish the rest of the season and how much the committee factors in such an injury). It would be a big loss for them. I consider Hummel to be a slightly less wealthy man's Kyle Singler. 6'8" with great rebound prowess and a very good shooting touch. Hummel is a slightly better shooter, but I think Singler is a bit stronger all around (though it's very close, and I could see an argument in favor of Hummel over Singler).

MChambers
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm very sorry for Hummel (especially having had an ACL tear myself). He's a great player, sort of Purdue's Singler. Hope he recovers soon and fully.

Edit: See that CDu beat me to the Singler comparison. They really are similar players.

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm very sorry for Hummel (especially having had an ACL tear myself). He's a great player, sort of Purdue's Singler. Hope he recovers soon and fully.

AMEN! I tore my ACL 2 weeks into my freshmen season in college and never recovered! When I saw the replay of Hummel's injury, my knee felt is pain!

I actually do really like Hummel, but I said it before, I never thought Purdue was a #1 seed with him.

Classof06
02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
It looked like an ACL when I saw it last night and I'm not surprised at the reports. I feel terrible for Hummel and Purdue and wish him a speedy recovery.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but this could very well net Duke a #1 seed when it's all said and done. We shall see.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
AMEN! I tore my ACL 2 weeks into my freshmen season in college and never recovered! When I saw the replay of Hummel's injury, my knee felt is pain!

I actually do really like Hummel, but I said it before, I never thought Purdue was a #1 seed with him.

I have twice torn my ACL in my right knee. Getting my 3rd surgery in April (after the Final Four of course) to reconstruct it again, plus a small microfracture operation. Should be lots of fun. As much as I hate to see Hummel and any athlete in this situation, I take solace in the fact that I am not the only one to go through such knee trouble at this age (see Nate Costa as well). If it's true that he did in fact tear it, get well Robbie! You're a stud!

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I have twice torn my ACL in my right knee. Getting my 3rd surgery in April (after the Final Four of course) to reconstruct it again, plus a small microfracture operation. Should be lots of fun. As much as I hate to see Hummel and any athlete in this situation, I take solace in the fact that I am not the only one to go through such knee trouble at this age (see Nate Costa as well). If it's true that he did in fact tear it, get well Robbie! You're a stud!

Best of luck! When I tore my ACL, the doctors did not perform the surgery "to the best of their ability" and during my recovery time, I could not bend my knee. I had another MRI with a new doctor and they found my new AC ligament was "caught" in between the bones of my knee! They of course had to remove it and now I have 10% of my ACL missing. SO, you can imagine when I play, I can tear it at any time, and my knee becomes "lax" and it is very uncomfortable. Thank goodness my college honored my scholarship, so at least I got 4 years of education for free!

After all of that, I feel so bad when any player tears his/her ACL, but I know they've come a long way since 1997!

AN injury is an injury, and this is a bad one, and what really stinks is it happened so late in the season, Hummel can't red-shirt.

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Jay Williams just posted on his Facebook page that Hummel will miss the rest of the season due to an ACL injury. Best of luck with recovery, Robbie!

SCMatt33
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I think that it's important to note that if the reports are true, there is no doubt that Duke's path to a 1-seed is easier, but Purdue will still have the inside track. With a game against Sparty coming up plus the Big Ten tourney, they can still show that they are no worse without Hummel. If Purdue wins out, they will still get a 1-seed, they have just lost all margin for error and will be playing without a great leader.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
ESPN.com is now reporting this. I think we can rest assured that it is true. And I'm not sure I agree that Purdue is the last #1 seed if they win out as does Duke. But that is a lot of if's anyway. Duke still has 7 more games to win before we talk about seeding.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
This is really too bad. Hope Hummel comes back strong next season. Would have loved to see him wearing Duke blue.

tele
02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
I echo the sad feelings for the player and Purdue team for this injury. Any implications for Duke's seed seem to be remote at best, unless you can somehow presume 7 wins.

superdave
02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Vitale just replaced Purdue in his Final Four with.....wait for it........Duke!

The other 3 were KU, UK, Syracuse.

Also, Duke beat this exact same Purdue team 76-60 in December 2008. And it wasnt even that close. So how is Purdue even in his someone's Final Four forecast? They are a good team in a weak major conference. I'm sorry but I never saw it, Hummel or no.

Hope he recovers quickly though!

BlueintheFace
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
For a historical and practical perspective:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_glockner/02/25/hummel.bracket/index.html

GMR
02-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I am a Purdue graduate, and a Purdue basketball fan. My daughter graduated in 1993 from Duke, so I have been a "PURDUKE" fan ever since. I root equally for both teams, and when they played in 1994 for the Regional championship in Knoxville, I cheered both teams whenever they scored.

Robbie Hummel is out for the season, and Purdue's chances to land a final 4 berth are essentially gone. Their bench is not very strong, and the threesome of Hummel, E'tuan Moore and JaJuan Johnson is very similar to Duke's big three of Singler, Scheyer and Smith. Both teams depend highly on their big three.

I am disappointed in the attitude taken by a few on this thread towards Hummel/Purdue. I have read thousands of times about how DBR prides itself in professionalism and class. I saw neither in this thread. My attitude, and therefore my degree of dedication towards Duke basketball, has suffered. Thank you to the few that took a stand against those that hoped Hummel would miss xx games so that Duke could gain an upper hand in seedings. You got your wish.

GMR

superdave
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I am a Purdue graduate, and a Purdue basketball fan. My daughter graduated in 1993 from Duke, so I have been a "PURDUKE" fan ever since. I root equally for both teams, and when they played in 1994 for the Regional championship in Knoxville, I cheered both teams whenever they scored.

Robbie Hummel is out for the season, and Purdue's chances to land a final 4 berth are essentially gone. Their bench is not very strong, and the threesome of Hummel, E'tuan Moore and JaJuan Johnson is very similar to Duke's big three of Singler, Scheyer and Smith. Both teams depend highly on their big three.

I am disappointed in the attitude taken by a few on this thread towards Hummel/Purdue. I have read thousands of times about how DBR prides itself in professionalism and class. I saw neither in this thread. My attitude, and therefore my degree of dedication towards Duke basketball, has suffered. Thank you to the few that took a stand against those that hoped Hummel would miss xx games so that Duke could gain an upper hand in seedings. You got your wish.

GMR

I dont think anyone was wishing ill will on Hummel or even taking delight in the injury. The comments were in-artful and stupid. But I would not go overboard here in reacting to this.

BlueintheFace
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM

GMR

you go too far. the only post you could be referring to is my original post on the first page, which I clarified.

And if you would like further clarification, I'd be happy to provide it. After stating that I hate to see Hummel hurt, I stated

(1) that it would help Duke's bid for a #1 seed.
- a comment that has been echoed in sports columns and numerous times in this thread. It is simply a fact.

(2) that I hoped he would only miss the rest of the regular season.
- I made this statement at the time because it seemed like the best possible scenario for a knee injury. Some (ahem) sensitive people felt that I was actually hoping that he would miss games. It was actually quite the contrary. I was hoping for the best for the kid given the injury (the same sentiment expressed all over Purdue boards btw) while pointing out that it could help Duke. I even clarified my statement later in the thread for the sake of those sensitive souls. Hardly classless

If you can point to anywhere in this thread where class is lacking, I would like to see it please.