PDA

View Full Version : Maryland / Clemson

jipops
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm a bit surprised there is no thread on this game right now. Looks like a beaut, with big implications for the standings.

Clemson jumped out to a double digit lead but Maryland has clawed back. Both teams want to push it in transition. No need for a shot clock in this game.

67-65 Clemson with about 8 minutes left.

jipops
02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
oh well, so much for that. I was hoping Clemson would give us a nice cushion but Maryland has just blown this one wide open. Vasquez just had a sick finish. Someone posted in the Vasquez thread he isn't much of an athlete, this is obviously false.

Jderf
02-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Vasquez with 13 assists and five minutes to go. Maryland is on a tear right now.

DukeUsul
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I really like Vasquez. His schtick where he took the floor mop from the mop-boy and wiped up the sweat himself is great. I love the showmanship and his attitude.

That said, I hope Clemson finds a way to win and we can get more separation tonight without even playing.

Kewlswim
02-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi,

If we take care of our own business we will be fine. :)

GO DUKE!

gw67
02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Last night’s game was in stark contrast to their previous game at Clemson. During that game the Clemson defense prevailed as the Terps had 8 assists to 26 turnovers and shot very poorly. The Tigers didn’t shoot well either but they had a boatload of offensive rebounds. Last night, Clemson came out with their best impression of Duke and other good shooting teams and they built leads up to 15 points. Eventually they cooled down and the Terps prevailed. Maryland shot well and they had 20 assists to 10 turnovers. Vasquez started slowly but finished with 15 points and 13 assists. He now leads the ACC in both ppg and apg for games within the ACC.

gw67

DoubleDuke Dad
02-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Last night’s game was in stark contrast to their previous game at Clemson. During that game the Clemson defense prevailed as the Terps had 8 assists to 26 turnovers and shot very poorly. The Tigers didn’t shoot well either but they had a boatload of offensive rebounds. Last night, Clemson came out with their best impression of Duke and other good shooting teams and they built leads up to 15 points. Eventually they cooled down and the Terps prevailed. Maryland shot well and they had 20 assists to 10 turnovers. Vasquez started slowly but finished with 15 points and 13 assists. He now leads the ACC in both ppg and apg for games within the ACC.

gw67

And floor cleanups!

Clemson refused to go away from their game plan of pressing Maryland after every made basket even though they were giving Maryland wide-open shots once they broke the press. That is the reason why Vasquez had so many assists.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
He now leads the ACC in both ppg and apg for games within the ACC.

Close, but not quite ...

While Vasquez did take over the assist lead (in ACC games) with his 13 assists last night (breaking a tie with Ish Smith), he actually lost ground to Malcolm Delaney in the scoring race.

Vasquez started the night eight points back of Vasquez in the same number of games. He scored 15 against the Tigers -- Delaney, who had a nighmarish shooting night, nevertheless scored 21 in the loss to BC.

That means that after 13 games for both, Delaney has 283 points -- 21.8 ppg.

Vasquez has 269 points -- 20.7, more than a point behind.

So second in scoring in ACC games ... but first in assists

BTW, the next three on the list are the Big Three: Scheyer (18.5), Singler (17.9) and Smith (17.6) -- just ahead of Landesburg (17.4).

EDIT: Whoops ... I was updating Monday's stats with Wednesday's games. I forgot Landesberg had the big night Tuesday -- he raised his average to 18.2 in the loss at Miami ... passing Smith and Singler to climb into fourth place on the list.

gw67
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I looked at conference-only stats on theACC site. It appears that they must not have entered some points for Duke and Tech players, and maybe others, while still counting the games (must be a Maryland conspiracy!).

gw67

Olympic Fan
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I made a mistake too. I knew it as soon as I punched the send and for some reason, the system wouldn't enter my edit.

It deals with Landesberg. I was working from Monday's ACC stats (which I have a hard copy of) and updating them with Wednesday night's games. I forgot for a moment that Virginia played Tuesday night at Miami.

If you factor in his game at Miami, Landesberg has upped his average in ACC play to 18.2 -- passing Singler and Smith and closing on Scheyer. That sets up a good subplot to Sunday's Duke-Virginia game in C'ville.