PDA

View Full Version : Tar Heels' Silver Unis?

bleedingblue
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Anyone seen these yet?

IBleedBlue
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I sure hope the burgundy proves too much for the silver to outshine tonight.

msdukie
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
http://twitpic.com/15406a

Yes, it appears they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of a shoe release. Words fail.

oldnavy
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Yes, it appears they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of a shoe release. Words fail.

And their fan base criticizes Krzyzewski for being too "commercial" for doing a couple of commercials... Their seems to be no limit to their hypocrisy!

BD80
02-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Will they raise a banner commemorating "the shoe?"

BTW the Helms Foundation has voted the "air jordan" the best shoe of the 20th century, finding that LESS than 23% of athletes wearing air jordans suffered career ending ankle or foot injuries.

Dean = "the nose"

MJ = "the shoe"

ol' roy = "the huck"

94duke
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Another link, or two

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_newsbreaker_external.asp
http://www.bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/02/24/unc-goes-full-nike-ditches-carolina-blue-uniforms/

and shoes and bags, oh my!! :eek:
http://raftersblog.com/?p=929

MulletMan
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Let me take this opportunity to point out that I changed the title of this thread by removing the uncreative, and implicitly profane reference to the UNC mascot. Look, I hate Carolina more than most people. I live here. I have to deal with their fans and all the damn ugly baby blue around town and all the snide people who work at Duke but root for UNC. I get that its THE rivalry.

But there is no reason that we should use the word "Tarholes" to describe UNC. It is no better that "D - 0 - O - K." or "Rat Face". Yes, they are our rivals, and yes we do hate them, but we should, at the very least, show them the respect that we would expect to receive ourselves.

I am tired of logging onto this Duke board to see a front page dominated by UNC subject threads. I am tired of people saying, "OMG... UNC sucks! Woo-hoo!" But I can't do anything about that. What I can do, is purge that ridiculous word as much as possible from posts and thread titles

I will do so until the owners tell me to stop.

We are better than that.

Carry on.

theAlaskanBear
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
This is some pretty crass commercialization. It's like saying Jordan is more important than the college institution. They couldn't have incorporated any blue into the uniform?

That said, as a young man, that gear is straight up dope! If I was 3-4 years younger (and not allergic to all things UNC) I would be drooling over all that stuff.

Kewlswim
02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi,

Silver Heels for some reason reminded me of "silver fish,"...it is a kind of bug.

GO DUKE!

mgtr
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Silver Heels for some reason reminded me of "silver fish,"...it is a kind of bug.

GO DUKE!

I guess that only the old geezers (like me) immediately thought of Jay Silverheels, who, for youngsters, played Tonto on the Lone Ranger.

alteran
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I am tired of logging onto this Duke board to see a front page dominated by UNC subject threads. I am tired of people saying, "OMG... UNC sucks! Woo-hoo!"

There are two threads fundamentally about things UNC here right now, the Roy thread and this one.

That's a lot of domination by two threads. ;)

Indoor66
02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
What the heck does UNC have to do the the Jordan brand?

hurleyfor3
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Let me take this opportunity to point out that I changed the title of this thread by removing the uncreative, and implicitly profane reference to the UNC mascot.

Fair enough, but technically unc's nickname is two words (Tar Heels) in all uses, not one.

DukieInKansas
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I like the comment under the picture:

"camclinard on February 24, 2010 wouldn't a victory be even more honorable...i know, wishful thinking "

Duvall
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I am tired of logging onto this Duke board to see a front page dominated by UNC subject threads. I am tired of people saying, "OMG... UNC sucks! Woo-hoo!" But I can't do anything about that.

You might as well change it to "Tar Heels'" then.

Look. North Carolina has missed the NCAA Tournament exactly two times in the last thirty-five years. If all goes well, this season will be the third. Their failure this year is surprising, amusing and entertaining, and it is completely natural for Duke fans to revel in their misfortune. Years like this don't come around nearly often enough.

dukeblue1206
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
With them wearing silver shoes, shorts, and tops, anybody else besides me think John Henson is going to look like the Tin Man out there? :D

jdj4duke
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Let me take this opportunity to point out that I changed the title of this thread by removing the uncreative, and implicitly profane reference to the UNC mascot. Look, I hate Carolina more than most people. I live here. I have to deal with their fans and all the damn ugly baby blue around town and all the snide people who work at Duke but root for UNC. I get that its THE rivalry.

But there is no reason that we should use the word "Tarholes" to describe UNC. It is no better that "D - 0 - O - K." or "Rat Face". Yes, they are our rivals, and yes we do hate them, but we should, at the very least, show them the respect that we would expect to receive ourselves.

I am tired of logging onto this Duke board to see a front page dominated by UNC subject threads. I am tired of people saying, "OMG... UNC sucks! Woo-hoo!" But I can't do anything about that. What I can do, is purge that ridiculous word as much as possible from posts and thread titles

We are better than that.

Carry on.

I like it. One small step for man----

jdj4duke
02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
With them wearing silver shoes, shorts, and tops, anybody else besides me think John Henson is going to look like the Tin Man out there? :D

That is scotch out the tear duct funny!

MulletMan
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Fair enough, but technically unc's nickname is two words (Tar Heels) in all uses, not one.

[Ed McMahon voice:]

You are correct, sir!

[/Ed McMahon voice]

As is Duvall. My mistake.

MChambers
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Think I'll have to watch, just to see that. I'll be laughing the rest of the evening over this one.

shoutingncu
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
You might as well change it to "Tar Heels'" then.

Look. North Carolina has missed the NCAA Tournament exactly two times in the last thirty-five years. If all goes well, this season will be the third. Their failure this year is surprising, amusing and entertaining, and it is completely natural for Duke fans to revel in their misfortune. Years like this don't come around nearly often enough.

Not only that, but add to it the complete media meltdown from Roy, and the season is the least entertaining thing to rivals. Okay, that's clearly not true, but completely separate from laughing at the Heels' season is mocking how poorly our coach has handled himself during...

On a side note (but back on topic): I actually try to avoid buying Nike because of it's corporate/commercial association with my school, although I'm not as well versed on it's factory working conditions as I should be.

ReformedAggie
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
As much as I despise carolina, I've always been a Jordan fan. And these uniforms are really pretty. That being said, go to hell carolina.

msdukie
02-24-2010, 05:28 PM

If this year came around EVERY year, it would not be often enough.

BD80
02-24-2010, 05:35 PM
What a great idea! Tremendous cross-promotion.

Just think how many people are going to tune in for FIFTH place FSU against the ELEVENTH place (and 14-13) tar heels! And the stands should be nearly half full (at least the announced attendance).

Why, its GENIUS!

And just think they could wear the same uniforms all the way through the tournament! The CBI IS on TV isn't it?

Can we accuse them of selling out if nobody sees it?

HateCarolina
02-24-2010, 05:43 PM

We are better than that.

Carry on.

Are you kidding? I feel like I should go and check out your other comments to see if you're being sarcastic...if so then too funny!!! If not, then what the heck...I HATE the TAR HEELS. Its a fact and I do not think I am in the minority around here.

As far as the uniforms go they're not too bad looking....think about it they don't have their baby blue....hahaha...I guess Roy will try anything to get a win and some attention this year!!!

Go Blue Devils! Go to Hell Carolina!!!

soccerstud2210
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
not going to lie. i like the those jerseys.

the shoes are terrible. absolutely distasteful

i mean come on. they gotta have some type of high for their season. this is obviously it

throatybeard
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
There are two threads fundamentally about things UNC here right now, the Roy thread and this one.

That's a lot of domination by two threads. ;)

This is becuase we've had to merge like six or seven redundant anti-UNC threads into the Roy thread. Unmoderated, we'd have something like 8 on the first page or first two pages.

weezie
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Just incredibly absurd. I mean, really, what a laughingstock they are making of themselves.

CLT Devil
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Are you kidding? I feel like I should go and check out your other comments to see if you're being sarcastic...if so then too funny!!! If not, then what the heck...I HATE the TAR HEELS. Its a fact and I do not think I am in the minority around here.

As far as the uniforms go they're not too bad looking....think about it they don't have their baby blue....hahaha...I guess Roy will try anything to get a win and some attention this year!!!

Go Blue Devils! Go to Hell Carolina!!!

TAR HEELS!! Sorry, been calling them that since I was a kid, and no it's not the same as the alt spelling of Duke.

Uni's are actually pretty nice, it makes me realize yet again that UNC is Michael Jordan...

Jderf
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Yea I do think the silver jerseys are pretty stylish, but then again that's not so hard to do once you abandon that sickly-looking, pale blue.

Still, I wonder what effect this would have on the players. How would I feel if I went to play basketball for UNC because of their tradition and stature only to see that they happily toss those things out to advertise a cool commercial product (and, as I already admitted, they certainly are cool). I wonder if this feeling would be especially disheartening considering the slide they're in right now.

Then again, maybe the players just think the jerseys look damn good (which I'd agree with). I guess I can't really know what goes through their heads.

airowe
02-24-2010, 06:09 PM

What about pUNCs? Can I still use that? I kind of made it up and I'm kind of a big deal...

weezie
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I kind of made it up and I'm kind of a big deal...

:D:D:D. Yes you are, but I still prefer "holes" small letters. If you prefer, I will begin to use puncs.

TheRose77
02-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Silver Heels sounds like a geriatric dance troupe.

In addition, I suspect the referees are not going to be too happy with the unis, inasmuch as the numbers aren't distinct from the background.

dukegirlinsc
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
ohhhh, let them celebrate the shoe. they need a reason to celebrate these days....any reason. they sure aren't celebrating wins. :D

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-24-2010, 07:12 PM
This is a really smart move by Nike. Even in a down economy, bridal fashion is a billion dollar industry. I can't think of a better way to enter the market.

Newton_14
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I think the uni's look like crap personally. If they had gone with white uni's with silver lettering and trim I think they would have looked a lot better.

That said, as long as they show they can lose in silver at the same rate they have been losing in blue and white, I am perfectly fine with it!

GTHC GTH
9F 9F 9F 9F

PS- The heels are 2.5 dogs at home against fifth place FSU... How sad is that?

BD80
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I hear they were giving away air jordan coupons to get people to buy tickets. The coupon was for 50% off retail, which is just 800% over cost!

arnie
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I think the uni's look like crap personally. If they had gone with white uni's with silver lettering and trim I think they would have looked a lot better.

That said, as long as they show they can lose in silver at the same rate they have been losing in blue and white, I am perfectly fine with it!

GTHC GTH
9F 9F 9F 9F

PS- The heels are 2.5 dogs at home against fifth place FSU... How sad is that?

And they are only 10 down late in the 1st half. With one of their Billy Packer patented runs, I bet they only lose by 15 or so tonight.

DukeGirl4ever
02-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I am one of those people who hates to talk trash to others about Duke. I just don't feel the need to trash talk D1 college athletes.

PS - I think the uniforms look horrible. It's like they're taking the blue out because they're tired of feeling blue.

BD80
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Henson is so skinny his compression shorts are baggy

Newton_14
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Henson is so skinny his compression shorts are baggy

That made me laugh! Thanks, I needed it!

I said earlier in the year that Henson shares a problem McBob had. Almost identical actually. He is confused about being either left-handed or right-handed. Like McBob he shoots his foul shots right-handed but goes to his left hand on every other type of shot he takes. I especially love his left-handed sky hook, mainly because it almost never goes in! Sweet..

HateCarolina
02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I take back what I said earlier about liking the unis. Now seeing them live on TV they look like crap.

MChambers
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
That made me laugh! Thanks, I needed it!

I said earlier in the year that Henson shares a problem McBob had. Almost identical actually. He is confused about being either left-handed or right-handed. Like McBob he shoots his foul shots right-handed but goes to his left hand on every other type of shot he takes. I especially love his left-handed sky hook, mainly because it almost never goes in! Sweet..

Is he amphibious?

Newton_14
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Is he amphibious?

Shack will always be in our memories!

And I realized I was backwards. McBob shot his set shot/jumper and foul shots left-handed and shot all close range shots right-handed. Henson is opposite but same principle.

miramar
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I just hope that I live to be 80 so that I can see Carolina in gold lamé. It honestly couldn't be any worse.

AZLA
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
With those uniforms I'm thinking CENTRUM SILVER can sponsor 'em next; or JUST FOR MEN TOUCH OF GREY ... take your pick. Maybe they can learn something from this goofy video: http://www.touchofgray.com/index.asp

"Hey, guy -- get your heads together"

miramar
02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
here is a picture gallery from the N&O. It's unfortunate that Roy didn't go out and buy a silver suit, but he did wear gray to get with the program:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/02/24/356622/first-half-fsu-at-unc-022410.html#gallerytop

OldSchool
02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
The new unis looked awful.

It looked as if someone had left their regular unis out on the clothesline too long and the sun bleached the color away.

dukechem
02-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I guess that only the old geezers (like me) immediately thought of Jay Silverheels, who, for youngsters, played Tonto on the Lone Ranger.

I, too, thought of Tonto. We're definitely showing our age.

striker219
02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Just saw this at ESPN.

"The Tar Heels are one of three programs that will wear the silver Jordan Brand uniforms this week. California is scheduled to wear them Thursday against Arizona, while Georgetown will wear them Saturday against Notre Dame."

airowe
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/28iw21w.jpg

WiJoe
02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
HA! :D

Hilarious! :D

(see above) :cool:

Jim3k
02-25-2010, 02:21 AM
The new unis looked awful.

It looked as if someone had left their regular unis out on the clothesline too long and the sun bleached the color away.

It's the return of the White Phantoms. ;)

RockLobster
02-25-2010, 02:33 AM
It's the return of the White Phantoms. ;)

Now here's a guy who knows his history!

whereinthehellami
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I especially love his left-handed sky hook, mainly because it almost never goes in! Sweet..

That was the shot he started the game with and bricked off the backboard from 7 feet away while missing the rim entirely. I mean that is hard to do.

davekay1971
02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Johnny Wier called Carolina. He wants his uniform back.

miramar
02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
on the Multimedia and you will see what ol' Roy thinks of the unis.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/02/25/357120/no-silver-lining-for-heels.html#gallerytop

Come to think of it, I just might buy that photo.

hurleyfor3
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Silver heels? It's actually quite a nice mountain (http://www.13ers.com/peaks/peakmain.php?peak=Mt.+Silverheels). So much less crowded than the 14ers across highway 9.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
I hate the heels, but I kinda like these jerseys. Significantly better than the baby blue. Just stating my opinion.

Unfortunately, you can't modify who is wearing the jersey simply by changing it...

hurleyfor3
02-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I hate the heels, but I kinda like these jerseys. Significantly better than the baby blue. Just stating my opinion.

I liked the unis they wore for one season with the overlapping "NC" monogram, and think they would have been received much better as an alternate jersey. I don't think you'd want to wear the silver against us, and fans will now probably associate the silver with being sucky sucky, which is too bad. There's a place for stuff like that a couple times a year.

Brian913
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Hubert Davis must have liked the silver-he wore a silver tie to match. Unbelievable that espn would allow that.

-jk
02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Hubert Davis must have liked the silver-he wore a silver tie to match. Unbelievable that espn would allow that.

Nike is a big advertiser...

-jk

killerleft
02-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Perhaps they thought the silver unis were made out of LOTR elven cloak material. That way they could just kind of disappear!

alteran
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
This is becuase we've had to merge like six or seven redundant anti-UNC threads into the Roy thread. Unmoderated, we'd have something like 8 on the first page or first two pages.

Fair enough. Thanks for following up.

FWIW, sometimes thread merging is confusing for those of us whose memory isn't all it could be-- locking threads for redundancy and including a pointer would be easier to follow. JMHO.

Again, thanks for the f/u.

alteran
02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I just hope that I live to be 80 so that I can see Carolina in gold lamé. It honestly couldn't be any worse.

:D. Beautiful.

alteran
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM

I just LITERALLY spewed coffee out on that one.

You should have given us a warning or something! :D

Neals384
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
With their front court depleted, UNC plans to unveil their new 25th anniversary silver & blue "Air Heels" at Cameron on March 6:

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
With their front court depleted, UNC plans to unveil their new 25th anniversary silver & blue "Air Heels" at Cameron on March 6:

Greatest pic ever. My colleagues are looking at me funny for laughing out loud.

devildeac
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I just LITERALLY spewed coffee out on that one.

You should have given us a warning or something! :D

Superb outfit/combo.:rolleyes:

LMAO.

oldnavy
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Perhaps they thought the silver unis were made out of LOTR elven cloak material. That way they could just kind of disappear!

They did! Or at least their game disappeared.

Matches
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, you can't modify who is wearing the jersey simply by changing it...

Yeah, I kind of liked them too. Seems like everyone (us included) goes with black for the alternate jerseys. Silver was a nice idea.

The *reason* for the jerseys was ridiculous though. Will they be wearing brown this weekend to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Chicken McNuggets?

shoutingncu
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Is there a mercy rule for the season? Is TH coming back?

Klaatu barada nikto

BD80
02-25-2010, 03:04 PM
So Mj did not even to bother to show up at this commemorative event for HIS brand, at his alma mater?

He must have been busy with the Bobcats, everyone knows what a workaholic he is in the front office.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2010, 04:53 PM
The new unis are even worse than the team.

jdj4duke
02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

The thread should be locked now; nothing will be better than this picture. Just broke a window I was laughing so hard.

davekay1971
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Is there a mercy rule for the season? Is TH coming back?

Klaatu barada nikto

"Klaatu barada n...... necktie...neckturn...nickel...it's an n word, it's definitely an n word!

Klaatu barada n(cough cough cough).

Okay, that's it, I said it."

Maybe Roy sent Ash to get the Necronomicon, and that's what happened to Carolina's season?