PDA

View Full Version : Naismith list

jimsumner
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
The last 30 standing.

In case you're wondering how Gani Lawal is on the list, I can only surmise that it has something to do with the fact that the Atlanta Tip-Off club presents the award.

Last First School Position Class
Aldrich Cole Kansas Center Junior
Aminu Al-Farouq Wake Forest Forward Sophomore
Anderson James Oklahoma State Guard Junior
Babbitt Luke Nevada Forward Sophomore
Booker Trevor Clemson Forward Senior
Bouldin Matt Gonzaga Guard Senior
Butler Da'Sean West Virginia Forward Senior
Collins Sherron Kansas Guard Senior
Cousins DeMarcus Kentucky Forward Freshman
Downey Devan South Carolina Guard Senior
Dyson Jerome Connecticut Guard Senior
Fredette Jimmer BYU Guard Junior
Harangody Luke Notre Dame Forward Senior
Hayward Gordon Butler Guard/Forward Sophomore
Hummel Robbie Purdue Forward Junior
James Damion Texas Guard/Forward Senior
Johnson Wesley Syracuse Forward Junior
Jones Dominique South Florida Guard Junior
Landesberg Sylven Virginia Guard Sophomore
Lawal Gani Georgia Tech Forward Junior
Lucas Kalin Michigan State Guard Junior
Monroe Greg Georgetown Center Sophomore
Pullen Jacob Kansas State Guard Freshman
Reynolds Scottie Villanova Guard Senior
Samhan Omar Saint Mary's Center Senior
Scheyer Jon Duke Guard Senior
Turner Evan Ohio State Guard/Forward Junior
Varnado Jarvis Mississippi State Forward Senior
Vasquez Greivis Maryland Guard Senior
Wall John Kentucky Guard Freshman

For more information, visit www.naismithawards.com.

superdave
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Unless someone goes on a tear between now and Selection Sunday, it's a crapshoot.

I think if Evan Turner had not missed 6 or so games, he'd probably be the front-runner.

Now, I'd say Scheyer, Wall, Turner and Wes Johnson might be in good shape.

Jeffrey
02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
IMO, Kyle is better than several players on the list.

Wander
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
IMO, Kyle is better than several players on the list.

I agree, but he's been too inefficient for too long this season to warrant inclusion on All-America teams.

Harangody is good but overrated.

superdave
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Harangody is good but overrated.

Yeah, NIT-bound Notre Dame does not deserve an All American. Didnt ND go to the NIT last year too?

I'd also drop Aldrich, Dyson, Lawal and maybe a few others because they dont really belong in the discussion.

PumpkinFunk
02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Wall is the frontrunner, but there's no question to me that Evan Turner is the best player and the most valuable to his team. OSU without him was terrible, with him has been dominant. As much as I'd like Jon to get it, there's no way he deserves it over Turner.

TexHawk
02-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah, NIT-bound Notre Dame does not deserve an All American. Didnt ND go to the NIT last year too?

I'd also drop Aldrich, Dyson, Lawal and maybe a few others because they dont really belong in the discussion.
Whoa. I don't necessarily think Cole should win, but not in the conversation? He completely alters offensive game plans with his ability to control the paint, while putting up a double-double to boot. He *only* averages 12 points a game because for most of the season, nobody bothered passing the ball to him. (He averages 6-7 shots a game.)

KU has a chance of going 16-0 in a really tough conference, and if they do, he will have a real shot at winning the Big 12 POY. I would think that merits being in the conversation for the Naismith. But I'm biased, of course.

superdave
02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
I think Wall's gotten a lot of hype, but Cousins has played better down the stretch. Wall is not a very good defender and turns the ball over a lot. I'm not even sure he's a lock for 1st team at this point. Likely but not a lock. After his spat with Calipari a few weeks ago, I bet he's a notch lower in the minds of the voters.

I'd bet on Evan Turner for NPOY today. But there's big games left and conference tourneaments.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I think Wall's gotten a lot of hype, but Cousins has played better down the stretch. Wall is not a very good defender and turns the ball over a lot. I'm not even sure he's a lock for 1st team at this point. Likely but not a lock. After his spat with Calipari a few weeks ago, I bet he's a notch lower in the minds of the voters.

I'd bet on Evan Turner for NPOY today. But there's big games left and conference tourneaments.

Having two stars that are performing so well on the same team, like Wall and Cousins, can actually backfire for NPOY for either of them.

I agree with you - I'd would bet on Evan Turner as well. He deserves it - OSU would be much worse than UNC without him.

superdave
02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Having two stars that are performing so well on the same team, like Wall and Cousins, can actually backfire for NPOY for either of them.

I agree with you - I'd would bet on Evan Turner as well. He deserves it - OSU would be much worse than UNC without him.

I do think a handful of guys could earn NPOY if they blow up and have a few 30 point games - Scheyer being one of them. Maybe Wes Johnson or Scottie Reyolds too.

This reminds me of when Okafor and Nelson split the awards because no one was obvious.