Wednesday Night
8PM
K Center (Practice Facility)

94duke
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Is this for students only?

GODUKEGO
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
He mentioned "Who ever wants to be there from the student body". Shame, I would have liked to go!!

Billy Dat
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Anyone go to the K/Crazies meeting tonight? How was it?

duke=legacy
02-25-2010, 12:56 AM
I was there.

Good summary of the meeting at scout.com forums (2nd post)
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5653785

LSanders
02-25-2010, 01:45 AM
K = Anti-Roy!!

From Inside Caroline:

RE: How Empty was the Dome Tonight?

Not sure but Roy was just asked about the attendance and he said "it is what it is."

People don't show up to see crap. Sports are entertainment and you aren't going to pay $50 to not be entertained. Yes, Roy is right, it is what it is.

Jim3k
02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I was there.

Good summary of the meeting at scout.com forums (2nd post)
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5653785

Since you have linked to a commercial members-only website, perhaps you would give us your version of the team-cameron crazy meeting, as many of us do not subscribe to these sites.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Since you have linked to a commercial members-only website, perhaps you would give us your version of the team-cameron crazy meeting, as many of us do not subscribe to these sites.
Yeah, what Jim said!

snowdenscold
02-25-2010, 03:21 AM

I remember that when Coach K met with the students when I was an undergrad (in the first half of this decade) he always prefaced it by saying he didn't want what we talked about showing up on some internet message board, or that he would stop doing them. Has that changed? (since Duke is trying to be media-friendly and accessible now)

uh_no
02-25-2010, 04:11 AM
I remember that when Coach K met with the students when I was an undergrad (in the first half of this decade) he always prefaced it by saying he didn't want what we talked about showing up on some internet message board, or that he would stop doing them. Has that changed? (since Duke is trying to be media-friendly and accessible now)

this is generally true for the UNC game

tonights meeting was more informal in nature

duke=legacy
02-25-2010, 07:32 AM

Oh my mistake. Here's what was written (credit goes to leesvilleballer):

-Meeting was in the practice facility. I've been in there several times before but it's an incredible facility
-Only K (not the team or assistant coaches) were there.

[redacted for copyright violation]

-K refused to talk about Carolina. Some kid asked but he was having none of it. Kept his attention solely on Duke.

DukeFanSince1990
02-25-2010, 08:21 AM

I like that he does not try to compare what Duke does against UNC.

sagegrouse
02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
K = Anti-Roy!!

From Inside Caroline:

Not sure but Roy was just asked about the attendance and he said "it is what it is."

Are you sure he didn't say, "I am who I am," followed by a lightning strike in the background?:):rolleyes:

sagegrouse

Indoor66
02-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Are you sure he didn't say, "I am who I am," followed by a lightning strike in the background?:):rolleyes:

sagegrouse

Yahweh!

94duke
02-25-2010, 08:34 AM

-Meeting was in the practice facility. I've been in there several times before but it's an incredible facility
-Only K (not the team or assistant coaches) were there.
-K showed us three different vids that only the team has seen. Motivational type vids. Very, very cool...... One of NY, one general vid, and one of the crazies. All were incredible.
-K was very upbeat tonight. Very enthusiastic. He really wanted to send the message to us that tomorrow is not just a blow off game. It's a potential trap game and that Tulsa shouldn't be taken lightly. K said that something will happen in tomorrows game that will change some player's season from here on out. Very interesting perspective...
-K said he is very impressed with Hairston's growth and maturity as a player. He has really added new dimensions to his game since he verballed. K says in his mind KI is the best point guard in the country. Incredible will to win. He's also very much looking forward to having a solid 4-year player like Thornton. Great kid and loves defense.
-I asked the question during Q&A how Nate James and CWell have changed the dynamics of the coaching staff and how they recruit and how the players have responded to them (obvious leading question....) - K's response was simply that especially the African-American players LOVE both of them. They have a real edge, and more than anything they are outstanding men. I think that's really true.
-K refused to talk about Carolina. Some kid asked but he was having none of it. Kept his attention solely on Duke.

Ok. So who wants to start speculating about the phrase in bold? :)

sagegrouse
02-25-2010, 08:43 AM

I confess to being a "minimalist" in interpreting K. I don't believe he is staging anything except distributing minutes more evenly among the recruited players. Therefore, the three freshmen are going to get a lot of minutes, and he is looking for a breakout game from one of them. I'd say Andre was the most likely in his mind, if I had to guess. But I would be happy with any of the freshmen having a big game.

sagegrouse

Fish80
02-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I confess to being a "minimalist" in interpreting K. I don't believe he is staging anything except distributing minutes more evenly among the recruited players. Therefore, the three freshmen are going to get a lot of minutes, and he is looking for a breakout game from one of them. I'd say Andre was the most likely in his mind, if I had to guess. But I would be happy with any of the freshmen having a big game.

sagegrouse

I too would be happy with any of the freshmen having a big game. While you might be right about Andre, my guess is on Mason. I think he's very very close to "getting it".

GODUKEGO
02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Agree, very strange and intriguing comment. I hope it is that obvious that we will all know what it is.

jv001
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
"something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out".
Well could it be that someone or some players have really been impressing in recent practices and earned more playing time? Dawkins seems to be moving better and until the last game Mason seemed to be playing better. Kelly has been pretty solid in the few mins he gets. Then again he may be talking about a big game from Zoubs against a center his size. Whatever it is, I'll be sitting there watching and hoping. Coach K got my attention. Go Duke!

nyr484
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
"something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out."

Sounds to me like a general motivational statement along the lines of, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." My impression is that Coach K was not being specific and does not have any intention to significantly change the game plan. I think he was just saying, "This game is important. It's just as important as any other game." etc. etc. Think about it like how the Maryland game changed Zoubek's season because he played so well. His role didn't change... he just elevated his game.

Lord Ash
02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I agree, I don't think it is a "I can see into the future!" thing, just a "Someone will step up for the year" sort of thing. To be honest, the line that I thought was most interesting was this one:

-I asked the question during Q&A how Nate James and CWell have changed the dynamics of the coaching staff and how they recruit and how the players have responded to them (obvious leading question....) - K's response was simply that especially the African-American players LOVE both of them.

I know race and the team make up has been discussed (or, at times, has avoided being discussed) but I think this is an important point, especially when it comes to recruiting, and one that makes me feel very positive going forward.

duke4life32182
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Just can't wait for the game. Always good to be guessing going into a game. Go Duke!

roywhite
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
What a contrast currently between Coach K and Roy Williams:

Coach K---intense in his preparations and approach, but relaxed and cordial in dealing with fans; putting together a very good team and getting the most out of his upperclassmen

Roy Williams---totally stressed out, clueless about how to help his team, critical of his players, and whining about his plight

UNC might sneak through this season without any major damage to their ongoing recruiting, but...

jv001
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
What a contrast currently between Coach K and Roy Williams:

Coach K---intense in his preparations and approach, but relaxed and cordial in dealing with fans; putting together a very good team and getting the most out of his upperclassmen

Roy Williams---totally stressed out, clueless about how to help his team, critical of his players, and whining about his plight

UNC might sneak through this season without any major damage to their ongoing recruiting, but...

just let it happen two years in a row. Not putting words in your mouth, but that's what came to mind. If roy follows up this year with a poor year in 2011 I think that's when recruiting will suffer. Good point roywhite. Go Duke!

JG Nothing
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
-I asked the question during Q&A how Nate James and CWell have changed the dynamics of the coaching staff and how they recruit and how the players have responded to them (obvious leading question....) - K's response was simply that especially the African-American players LOVE both of them.

I know race and the team make up has been discussed (or, at times, has avoided being discussed) but I think this is an important point, especially when it comes to recruiting, and one that makes me feel very positive going forward.

I also think it is important because it just shows that race does matter. IIRC, there are some on this board who believe that Duke basketball is basically beyond race. Although that might be a nice goal, it simply is not possible in our society.

left_hook_lacey
02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
"something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out".
Well could it be that someone or some players have really been impressing in recent practices and earned more playing time? Dawkins seems to be moving better and until the last game Mason seemed to be playing better. Kelly has been pretty solid in the few mins he gets. Then again he may be talking about a big game from Zoubs against a center his size. Whatever it is, I'll be sitting there watching and hoping. Coach K got my attention. Go Duke!

I think that was the point. To get everyone's attention and keep the interest level up for a non-conference, less than stellar Tulsa team that is stuck in the middle of ACC play. I think K is pretty confident that this is a good test game to see how some of the freshman have progressed. He can easily give the newbies extra minutes in this game to see how they fair. If he does that against Tulsa, I think it's safe to say that at least one of the freshmen should have a good game. That could go a long way to building confidence.

left_hook_lacey
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I also think it is important because it just shows that race does matter. IIRC, there are some on this board who believe that Duke basketball is basically beyond race. Although that might be a nice goal, it simply is not possible in our society.

Yeah, I agree. And I'm definitely don't want this thread to take a racial turn, but I really feel that a large reason for making those two additions to the staff were to improve relationships with black recruits and current team members.

trinity92
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I agree. And I'm definitely don't want this thread to take a racial turn, but I really feel that a large reason for making those two additions to the staff were to improve relationships with black recruits and current team members.

It's not up to you or any of us whether this thread takes a racial turn-- this thread discusses K and what he said. His statements focused, in part, on race and our basketball program. It was explicit. He wasn't afraid to say that having black coaches makes our black players happy.

I'm going to try to tone down my feelings of vindication here, but I've been shouted down here in the past for the mere mention of race and how perceptions of Duke's "whiteness" could affect our recruiting, just as I was vilified for the mere suggestion that Taylor King might be ripe for transfer.

More ideas are better, not fewer.

GODUKEGO
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Agree with you assessment. I have heard many say that when we lost Johnny Dawkins we lost our recruiting edge. Seems as if the class coming in next year and the potential recruits that are considering Duke that we have it back!!

cbnaylor
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I think that was the point. To get everyone's attention and keep the interest level up for a non-conference, less than stellar Tulsa team that is stuck in the middle of ACC play. I think K is pretty confident that this is a good test game to see how some of the freshman have progressed. He can easily give the newbies extra minutes in this game to see how they fair. If he does that against Tulsa, I think it's safe to say that at least one of the freshmen should have a good game. That could go a long way to building confidence.

I agree totally. I believe what K said to the crazies was mentioned in the locker room. If K can convince one of the players besides the Trio and Z to put up stellar numbers and contribute, this team will be hard to bring down. Now that Z is playing with confidence, we only lack one more player to get where Duke needs to be going into March.

David
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
For some reason, K's quote ("something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out") reminded me of the movie LA Story in which a traffic sign flashes messages to Steve Martin (e.g., "The weather will change your life, twice").

In all seriousness, I imagine K was referring to one of the frosh stepping up. (Or, Zoubs moving to point guard. :D)

watzone
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

I don't think Krzyzewski is referencing or hinting towards any particular player although I am sure he has some in mind. The recent emergence of Zoubek proves that kids can stand up and take hold of their season by performing at a higher [quicker in BZ's case] level. No matter who realizes this is their time and channels that into their play it will be a positive. If ever there was a game where one could use as a starting point, it's the Tulsa game. And a Plumlee or Dawkins taking their game to another level or even Zoubs maintaining his are something K seems excited about. But the real reason for this meeting in my opinion, was to get the Crazies ready and aware that this is the last two home games for what is looking like special senior seasons for Scheyer, Zoubek and Thomas and to be there [CIS] in the moment as one with the team.

allenmurray
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Agree with you assessment. I have heard many say that when we lost Johnny Dawkins we lost our recruiting edge. Seems as if the class coming in next year and the potential recruits that are considering Duke that we have it back!!

My understanding was that Johnny was not heavily involved in recruiting (by his own preference as he had two school-age kids during the entire time he was an asst. coach at Duke).

DeBlueDevil
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree that race does matter. As an african american I understand that this convo is never an easy one to have for most. And I do believe most of the world sees past color these days but that doesn't mean race isn't a factor in recruitment. Me personally if I was one of these kids I could care less the color of a recruiter but the reality is for some this does matter. Sometimes a black recruiter would relate better to black recruits and vice versa for white. It's elementary but then I do agree that this sometimes may not matter either way.

With that said I do agree there is a stigma that Duke always has a majority white teams blah blah. And this speaks true as of recent but for the most part I believe Duke incorporates whom best fits the system and the school and the coaches do not decide this by color. It just so happens that our system allows white and blacks to prosper. Some schools don't play a style of bball that allows whites to prosper i.e. Memphis, Kentucky...etc that really on LOTS of athletiscism and speed...but there are some that blacks don't play well in either. Its just reality. Some years we have more black recruits then others. This year in particular all three are. But really who cares. All in all its about getting the best players that fit your system. No matter what you do if you have more black then white or vice versa someone in this world will find a way to make it a racial issue. I think K was just stating the obvious that yes its reality and the black recruits love Nate and Chris...but i believe they love K, Wojo, and Collins just as much. If it were a thought that they'd obey the black coaches more than the white or vice versa...i don't even think they'd be in a Duke uniform...to me thats just not the Duke way...just my thoughts

kmspeaks
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
In all seriousness, I imagine K was referring to one of the frosh stepping up. (Or, Zoubs moving to point guard. :D)

I just don't see K being that cruel. Can you imagine the damage to the Tulsa players' confidence? The Zouberman would break their ankles on crossover dribbles and make passes so amazing that no one else could even dream of trying them. :D:p

Greg_Newton
02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
"something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out."

Sounds to me like a general motivational statement along the lines of, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." My impression is that Coach K was not being specific and does not have any intention to significantly change the game plan. I think he was just saying, "This game is important. It's just as important as any other game." etc. etc. Think about it like how the Maryland game changed Zoubek's season because he played so well. His role didn't change... he just elevated his game.

Yeah, FWIW, I asked the original poster who gave that report on TDD about the context of that statement, and he took it to mean the same thing you did (i.e. every game is important, anything can happen), rather than an allusion to a surprise coaching move or a specific breakout performance. So I don't think we should read too much into that (i.e. I doubt Andre or Mason will be starting, etc.).

That said, it would be nice if one of them had a breakout game, regardless...

mgtr
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
For some reason, K's quote ("something will happen in tomorrow's game that will change some player's season from here on out")

It truly boggles the mind. This post should be a sticky!!

SeattleIrish
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not intending to pick the nit, but I think it's important to note accurately K's quote:

He is not saying having "black coaches make our black players happy". He's highlighting that having Nate and Cwell, two outstanding coaches who are African American, makes them are African American players happy. To me, it's not a matter of simply having "black coaches", but having outstanding leaders that can relate to players; a part of being able to relate is being able to sense that another person has shared, or can empathize with, important parts of your identity.

It is about race. But it is not entirely about race, and it diminishes both coaches to simplify it as such. I doubt that is the intent of your post, and is almost certainly not what you intended. I do still believe it's important to clarify that point.

s.i.

It's not up to you or any of us whether this thread takes a racial turn-- this thread discusses K and what he said. His statements focused, in part, on race and our basketball program. It was explicit. He wasn't afraid to say that having black coaches makes our black players happy.

I'm going to try to tone down my feelings of vindication here, but I've been shouted down here in the past for the mere mention of race and how perceptions of Duke's "whiteness" could affect our recruiting, just as I was vilified for the mere suggestion that Taylor King might be ripe for transfer.

More ideas are better, not fewer.

jv001
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I agree that race does matter. As an african american I understand that this convo is never an easy one to have for most. And I do believe most of the world sees past color these days but that doesn't mean race isn't a factor in recruitment. Me personally if I was one of these kids I could care less the color of a recruiter but the reality is for some this does matter. Sometimes a black recruiter would relate better to black recruits and vice versa for white. It's elementary but then I do agree that this sometimes may not matter either way.

With that said I do agree there is a stigma that Duke always has a majority white teams blah blah. And this speaks true as of recent but for the most part I believe Duke incorporates whom best fits the system and the school and the coaches do not decide this by color. It just so happens that our system allows white and blacks to prosper. Some schools don't play a style of bball that allows whites to prosper i.e. Memphis, Kentucky...etc that really on LOTS of athletiscism and speed...but there are some that blacks don't play well in either. Its just reality. Some years we have more black recruits then others. This year in particular all three are. But really who cares. All in all its about getting the best players that fit your system. No matter what you do if you have more black then white or vice versa someone in this world will find a way to make it a racial issue. I think K was just stating the obvious that yes its reality and the black recruits love Nate and Chris...but i believe they love K, Wojo, and Collins just as much. If it were a thought that they'd obey the black coaches more than the white or vice versa...i don't even think they'd be in a Duke uniform...to me thats just not the Duke way...just my thoughts

I agree with every part of your post. At some point human nature comes into play when kids are being recruited and I'm sure there are teams/recruiters that bring up the white thing about Duke. Having Nate and C-Well on the staff some of these claims can be shot down. Like you say, if players don't obey any of the coaches they would not be on the Duke team. Thanks for your honest post. Go Duke!

BD80
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
... In all seriousness, I imagine K was referring to one of the frosh stepping up. (Or, Zoubs moving to point guard. :D)

With Z at point, we could see a REAL floor slap. And the Crazies would bounce five feet higher!

UrinalCake
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Nate and C-well are both black, and that's the first thing a lot of fans will notice, but I agree that there's more to it that makes them great recruiters. C-well's family was not wealthy at all, a far cry from the privileged upbringings most people associate with Duke. Both of them had to really develop their games at Duke - Nate basically changed from a forward to a guard, and C-well learned to do everything including guarding Tim Duncan. The first time I saw C-well dribble a basketball, his form was so awkward I wasn't sure he'd ever held one in his life. Anyways, these guys developed big time, overcame a lot, and have become successful off the court, and I think they provide great examples to a recruit of how going to Duke can benefit them in a number of ways.

Flyers52
02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
"K said that something will happen in tomorrows game that will change some player's season from here on out."

I missed last night's game, and I've read about it online today, but what was it that K was referring to?

Thanks

MChambers
02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
With Z at point, we could see a REAL floor slap. And the Crazies would bounce five feet higher!

Zoubs should do it when Henson is in the game. I think he'd go through the Cameron roof.

mkirsh
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
"K said that something will happen in tomorrows game that will change some player's season from here on out."

I missed last night's game, and I've read about it online today, but what was it that K was referring to?

Thanks

Scheyer only played 35 minutes. The extra 5 minutes of rest makes us a lock for the final four now.

GODUKEGO
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks

I watched the whole game and do not have a clue on what he was referring to in that quote. A wild guess would be the production out of Zoub against a big center replicating the size of an NBA center but surely not close to the talent. Zoub had a great game, was an offensive threat and scored 10 points and 11 boards in only 23 minutes.

roywhite
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
I watched the whole game and do not have a clue on what he was referring to in that quote. A wild guess would be the production out of Zoub against a big center replicating the size of an NBA center but surely not close to the talent. Zoub had a great game, was an offensive threat and scored 10 points and 11 boards in only 23 minutes.

Wasn't at the meeting, and I agree there was no great happening at last night's game, but I'll offer a theory as to what K meant:

That at least one of the underclassmen (three frosh---Mason, Ryan, and Andre, plus soph Miles) was playing much better in practice and was going to have a good game, or even a "breakout" game.

FWIW, although none had big numbers, I thought all four looked more comfortable on the court and had a better grasp of the team defense.

jipops
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Wasn't at the meeting, and I agree there was no great happening at last night's game, but I'll offer a theory as to what K meant:

That at least one of the underclassmen (three frosh---Mason, Ryan, and Andre, plus soph Miles) was playing much better in practice and was going to have a good game, or even a "breakout" game.

FWIW, although none had big numbers, I thought all four looked more comfortable on the court and had a better grasp of the team defense.

I'll buy that, and I do agree on the appearance of a comfort level by the 3 frosh and Miles. Maybe what K is referring to will manifest more against UVA and/or Maryland.