PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!!

IBleedBlue
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
I have been rocking games at work too... once in a while..
http://vault.ncaa.com/

strawbs
02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
cool site, but i don't like that the majority of the duke games on there are losses. :(

BlueintheFace
02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Just watched the Redick no-call in 2004.

I am such a masochist.

EDIT: Followed by the 2002 Boozer no-call.... I am in pain and so stupid.

bass-piscator
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
No kidding. They only show 2 tarhole losses.

Morris614
02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
No kidding. They only show 2 tarhole losses.

its only games from the sweet 16 and on.

jdj4duke
02-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Just watched the Redick no-call in 2004.

I am such a masochist.

EDIT: Followed by the 2002 Boozer no-call.... I am in pain and so stupid.

Ease your pain and watch the MD game from '01.

UrinalCake
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
This is absolutely fantastic. I may have to call in sick for the rest of the week.

NashvilleDevil
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Watching the Maryland game and Packer started saying Duke was getting all the calls very early in that game. So glad that he is no longer announcing.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
I forgot how star studded Arizona was that year. Gilbert Arenas, Rich Jefferson, and other pretty impressive squad, of course Duke had a few future NBA players on that squad. I love this site btw. Thank you

Airforcedukie

IBleedBlue
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Here's to hoping that this year's Duke team's performances would soon be up in that site within a span of 6 weeks from now :)

UrinalCake
02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Just watched most of the 2001 final. Our starters played too many minutes, we shot too many threes, and we couldn't defend inside. And we won the national championship!

Loren Woods was pretty unstoppable. You'd think he would have lasted longer in the NBA.

snowdenscold
02-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Who is this Jake Williams they have in their write-up of the 2001 Duke-MD game?

CrazieDUMB
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
When I first saw the link to this site, I was amazed. My favorite day this year was a few weeks ago; my work had been cancelled by the snowstorm and ESPN was showing a marathon of Duke UNC games. When I saw the games offered on this site, I knew I wasn’t doing any work at my job for the rest of the day. Healthcare insurance agents be damned.

Of course, while I was quite excited to check out the 2001 Maryland game I vaguely remember from my childhood, I could not resist looking up 2006 LSU. My first post on this board was about that year’s team. Between the dazzling JJ highlights, the Dockery shot, and my first year in Cameron, that year started my transformation from Duke fan to, well, someone who spends all day on Duke message boards instead of doing work.

Watching that game was like going through pictures and letters from ex girlfriends. You always remember the big picture, how you felt afterwards and the general summary, but watching the details as it unfolds always kind of surprises you. No matter how closely you were paying attention, you’re destined to forget 95% of what actually went on.

Here’s what I remembered – JJ was wasted from averaging 39 minutes the whole season and couldn’t buy a shot. McBob was a good prospect but clearly not ready to excel or break the game open. Paulus seemed good at the time, but the rest of his career would show that his abilities were inflated by having good people around him. Shelden was good, but kind of got overshadowed by Glen “Big Baby” Davis. The rest of the LSU team consisted of a seemingly endless selection of fresh, athletic lean wings (led by Freak Tyrus Thomas) that could defend every position. But was that really the case?

The first thing that popped out at me from the start was how listless this team was. The 05 – 06 team was characterized by running plays with flawless execution, a well oiled machine that was designed too perfectly to stop. But watching this game, it’s like they forgot everything that made them so good. There was no ball movement; it seemed like everyone but the ball carrier was standing still. Too many players try to make plays on their own, forgetting the rest of their teammates. Picks were not only poorly set, but a bad idea against a team that clearly wouldn’t lose much from switching defenders. Duke’s ability to create mismatches and execute from there was neutralized by this team.

That said, it’s clear that this team had 4 NBA players on it. To anyone that says Wojo is bad post coach, you can’t ask for a better counter example than Shelden Williams. This isn’t someone with such incredible physical gifts that he could dominate like Brand or Deng. Shelden had an array of post moves that required no set up and not even a decent post position. He could move from anywhere and get himself a good look no matter where Big Baby forced him.

McBob – no one from Duke is respected less on this board than him, and this game questions whether that is deserved. He didn’t live up to expectations, but is that really his fault? When I’m watching this game I see a guy that’s tall, nimble and very light on his feet. He plays decent defense face up, and has good athleticism for outlet passes and getting to rebounds in space. I think people wanted him to be like Shelden, but that wasn’t his skill set, a back to the basket guy that could post up. He also had the ignomity of being the leader of the worst Duke team in 14 years (06-07). The only thing that is justly deserved is his sulking attitude, but I think that has more to do with frustration than anything else.

Paulus – My perception of this guy is colored by a number of factors. Number one, as mentioned before he never lived up to his freshman season. That year no one seemed to notice that he didn’t have any chance against penetrating guards. He was racking up assists due to the fact that Redick’s game was hitting threes of screens. And the determination; no one tries harder or wants to win more than Paulus. This leads in to the second factor: he was really good friends with a friend of mine, so I actually got to know him a little bit off the court. For all the crap that this guy took (and he took a lot from fans and the media), he never lost his attitude. When watching this game it’s like he was determined to take this team on his back emotionally because no one else wanted to. He didn’t have the skills to dominate on the floor, what he did have was leadership, even as a freshman.

Lee is and always was terrible. Sorry.

Finally, JJ. The history on this game could not be more accurate, as the guy was gassed beyond belief. He spent his entire senior season constantly running; running off defenders, coming off screens, moving with and without the ball. This game he take 3-4 posessions off on offense at a time. He used to win by wearing his defender out, which makes them lazy and gives him space to hit shots. This game he simply didn’t have the juice to wear Garret Temple down, and the rest of the team wasn’t doing enough to make plays for him.

Overall, it’s hard to watch this game mostly because there are so many good players making the game so hard on themselves. No one is working within the system to make other people better, and what you have is some very skilled players without any teamwork. They lost because LSU had teamwork in spades – they had athleticism, and to me it looks like they wanted this game more.

If you don’t think Duke was worn down physically and emotionally, all it takes is a look at the band at the 4:45 mark left in the second when Paulus is shooting a free throw. People who know the facial expressions and body language of their team know when they don’t have it, and as such Duke was destined to lose from the opening tip of this game.

So where does this leave us? Well you can’t watch this without wondering how our team now can avoid the same mistakes. First of all, the fact that we have 3 major threats is so valuable. The rest of the 2006 team looked lost because JJ was lost. This year’s team has so many people that can change the game, I really find it hard to believe that it’s going to be a problem. Secondly, our defense is loads better. As Bilas said, LSU’s best offense was offense off of missed shots – they didn’t really have anyone that could create offense and yet they performed just fine. This year, we have the defense to stop a team like this, and even if shots aren’t falling we have Treebeard down low to give us extra possessions.

I gotta say, I thought 2006 was my favorite Duke team. But watching them makes me appreciate 2010 so much more. The team now is BadA**. We got swagger, chops, and fundamentals. We don’t rely on magic and pretty play, we play the game the way good teams do. We’re led by seniors and juniors.

Get excited.

UrinalCake
02-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Watching the Maryland game and Packer started saying Duke was getting all the calls very early in that game. So glad that he is no longer announcing.

I'm watching it too. The cries of injustice start three and a half minutes into the game, when Packer claims "Duke is getting a lot of calls tonight." At that point there had been four fouls called - the current play (a clear foul by Maryland on a Jason Williams jump shot that is in no way disputable), another obvious foul by Maryland to prevent a dunk by Casey Sanders, an over-the-back call on Sanders, and a push-off on Dunleavy going for a rebound. I'd like to know how exactly Duke is getting all the calls, especially since they're currently losing the game.

A minute later Jason Williams puts up a layup that touches glass and then is blocked by Baxter. Automatic goaltend once it hits the glass, which the refs call. Only both announcers are going ballistic, saying the ball was on the way up, no way it was a goaltend, horrible call in favor of Duke.

Acymetric
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm watching it too. The cries of injustice start three and a half minutes into the game, when Packer claims "Duke is getting a lot of calls tonight." At that point there had been four fouls called - the current play (a clear foul by Maryland on a Jason Williams jump shot that is in no way disputable), another obvious foul by Maryland to prevent a dunk by Casey Sanders, an over-the-back call on Sanders, and a push-off on Dunleavy going for a rebound. I'd like to know how exactly Duke is getting all the calls, especially since they're currently losing the game.

A minute later Jason Williams puts up a layup that touches glass and then is blocked by Baxter. Automatic goaltend once it hits the glass, which the refs call. Only both announcers are going ballistic, saying the ball was on the way up, no way it was a goaltend, horrible call in favor of Duke.

I thought the backboard rule for goaltending was newer than that...like the past few years or so. Of course, I've been wrong before (once :)).