PDA

View Full Version : Where are the floor slaps?

delfrio
02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Floor slaps are the one piece missing from this being a championship squad. For motivational (and historical) significance, I say bring them back. Why isn't Wojo doing his job as coach?

hurleyfor3
02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
hurley did it before wojo

moonpie23
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
i thought nolan was going to do it a couple of times.....I agree.....they need it back....

it is str8 up, in your face "BRING IT"...

CrazieDUMB
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Somehow I don't see it from the Swagga. This team is full of big rebounders, not scrappy tenacious perimeter defenders. I love the floor slap, but I say let this team be who they want to be without having to rely on traditions and reputations of the past.

Oh Canada
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I also remember during the Hurley era when the bench would stand up until Duke scored their first basket... I thought it always showed a lot of solidarity...can they bring that back or is there a rule against this now from the officials?

superdave
02-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I bet Kyrie Irving brings back the floor slaps. I defeinitely dont see Jon Scheyer doing it. Maybe Nolan.

moonpie23
02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
i wanna see Zoubs do it......man, that would be awesome....

elvis14
02-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Floor slaps are the one piece missing from this being a championship squad. For motivational (and historical) significance, I say bring them back. Why isn't Wojo doing his job as coach?

Wojo's the big man's coach now...he can't be getting caught up in all that silly floor slapping the guards perpetrate! :D

airowe
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Duke slaps backboards now, not floors.

jv001
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Duke slaps backboards now, not floors.

Big Mason Plumlee.. I'm waiting for that next alley opp for a slam and slap. Go Duke!

Acymetric
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Big Mason Plumlee.. I'm waiting for that next alley opp for a slam and slap. Go Duke!

I'm not, I just about guarantee he gets T'd up on the next one he does if he does it again.

94duke
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah, the backboard slap needs to go away. It is unnecessary. The dunk itself is "show" enough. Especially the reverse! :D

allenmurray
02-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Zoubs just stares at the floor until it slaps itself.

Kfanarmy
02-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Zoubs just stares at the floor until it slaps itself.
Now that is funny

wilko
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I dont think its "lost" just taking a break..

This team doesn't extend perimeter pressure to the point of that being an intimidating gesture. I'd rather see that from a team that is capable of alot of steals...

However in playing to our strengths... there ought to be something we can do that says "We will wear your behinds out in rebounds"..

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
When the floor slapping started back in the Bubas days, it was about playing tough defense and crowd involvement. When Coach K began to use it, I interpreted it to mean much the same thing....

wilko
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
When the floor slapping started back in the Bubas days, it was about playing tough defense and crowd involvement. When Coach K began to use it, I interpreted it to mean much the same thing....

That would be an excellent exercise for someone that has more energy and time than I.

When Duke slaps the floor; are they more likely to force a TO on Defense than when they dont slap the floor?.. If so, what kind of turnover is it? Shot clock violation, bad pass, Block, charge taken, or rebound collected.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
That would be an excellent exercise for someone that has more energy and time than I.

When Duke slaps the floor; are they more likely to force a TO on Defense than when they dont slap the floor?.. If so, what kind of turnover is it? Shot clock violation, bad pass, Block, charge taken, or rebound collected.

Hadn't really thought about floor slapping in terms of particular results following the occurrence. Slapping the floor seems to have been done when the team needed to re-energize, particularly when the opponent was in a surge in the ebb and flow of a game.

Floor slapping is something of a statement not unlike the cheer Coach Cutlciffe brought to Duke: We are Duke!

MHNOLADevil
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe it's up to Lance.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe it's up to Lance.

Coach K has been known to start floor slapping up again. Maybe it will be reintroduced on March 6.

Jumbo
02-23-2010, 12:21 PM

This team doesn't extend perimeter pressure to the point of that being an intimidating gesture. I'd rather see that from a team that is capable of alot of steals...

However in playing to our strengths... there ought to be something we can do that says "We will wear your behinds out in rebounds"..

It was always the signal for a defensive stop. Not necessarily a steal, just time to buckle down. I miss it.

superdave
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, the backboard slap needs to go away. It is unnecessary. The dunk itself is "show" enough. Especially the reverse! :D

Elton Brand did it (a lot more) and no one complained then.

Acymetric
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM

Not to bash Mason in any way, but Elton Brand was way better as a player than Mason (currently, at least) is. Tolerance for any shenanigans would probably have been higher as a result.

See also: Jones, Dahntay. I'm sure people complained, but I didn't.

I do like that kind of aggressive attitude, but you have to back it up with more than one dunk every few games (and on both ends of the floor).

SupaDave
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Actually I've seen Nolan do it this year. And it's always universally meant "bring it" to me. Doesn't matter who does it - it means bring it on b/c we're not backing down. Nolan still claps his hands in this manner actually.

SupaDave
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I do like that kind of aggressive attitude, but you have to back it up with more than one dunk every few games (and on both ends of the floor).

But isn't it nice to have freshmen who don't have to grow up overnight?

BD80
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM

This team doesn't extend perimeter pressure to the point of that being an intimidating gesture. ...

It was always the signal for a defensive stop. Not necessarily a steal, just time to buckle down. I miss it.

The floor slap is a sign of commitment to defense, an indication that the defender is so low in his defensive stance he can slap the floor. In practice, it is a quick check to see if the players are in a low defensive stance, when the coach interupts a scrimmage or a drill and calls out the instruction to slap the floor, players can tell by how far they have to reach to determine how low they are.

The floor slap really only pertains to perimeter defenders, "I am not going to let you by me." We don't really have that kind of defender on the team. If Nolan really commits to locking down an opponent, I would love to see him slap the floor. I could see Lance doing it if he were unleashed on a wing that generates offense with dribble penetration.

Generally, this team hasn't "earned" the floor slap, it is a commitment to not letting a player drive by you.

I would love to see it, ... ON THE ROAD! The floor at Cameron is far to valuable to suffer Z unleashing a "Hulk smash!"

summerwind03
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I have seen Nolan do it twice this year. Love it.

DukieInKansas
02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Coach K has been known to start floor slapping up again. Maybe it will be reintroduced on March 6.

I would prefer they slap some tar heels on 3/6. :D

gotham devil
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Not to bash Mason in any way, but Elton Brand was way better as a player than Mason (currently, at least) is. Tolerance for any shenanigans would probably have been higher as a result.

See also: Jones, Dahntay. I'm sure people complained, but I didn't.

I agree. It sets a tone of intimidation and brashness to announce one's presence. Let the kids have a small taste of fun and creativity. Given the thousands that these kids generate for their universities, it seems like a harmless thing to make them happy by letting them slap a backboard or a floor.

Bomar
02-23-2010, 05:07 PM

I'd REALLY like to see it April 5!

6th Man
02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
As a young Duke fan I would often slap the floor in tribute to my Dukies. Never failed when I would do that, the guy I was guarding went on by me. Took me awhile to realize that it's best not to slap the floor when the kid in front of you is dribbling. :rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd REALLY like to see it April 5!

Wouldn't that be fabulous???? :)

Billy Dat
02-23-2010, 05:47 PM

If you recall, Elton used to two hand slam, and then slap the glass on both sides of the rim with his insanely long arms. I think the refs were too awed trying to figure out what he'd just done to blow the whistle.

Ouch...just thought about '99...what a team.

Morris614
02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Maybe Singler and Scheyer just think it looks stupid. Its not like if they do it they will automatically play better.

Anyway, the slap ball rebound is far superior to the floor slap and the backboard touching.

NovaScotian
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM

ha! that boy would fall right over!

NovaScotian
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
[also - wooo! cherokee parks! this is my second proudest cherokee parks related moment. the first being:

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/pregame-scene-from-duke/489/ (http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/pregame-scene-from-duke/489/)]

[that didn't last long. sorry, ya'll.]

D.C. Devil
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
hurley did it before wojo
Dawkins, Amaker, et al. before that. Maybe earlier too, but my Cameron memories begin in '84.

dukestheheat
02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not so much of a fan of the floor-slap. I know, you guys are going to kill me. I actually think it fires up the other team and gives them the extra stuff to come back at Duke. I know it's entertaining and it makes a statement, but I'm not one known to try and give ammo to the enemy, at least not on the playing floor.

dth.