PDA

View Full Version : Duke Student Needs Crazy Towel Guy Stories

Schminglerfan
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I am a current Crazie (actually a front row regular) and I am attempting to compile some Kville history with a particular focus on Crazy Towel Guy. Any and all anectodes or memories would be greatly appreciated.

watzone
02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to get some hush money out of Herb. LOL

Schminglerfan
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
But can he promise not to poke you in the back, spill something on your chair or protect you from section projectiles? C'mon Watzone, get the ball rolling.

roywhite
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
"Did you know" about Crazy Towel guy?...

In 1961 Duke had one of it's most successful baseball seasons, winning the ACC Championship and going to the College World Series in Omaha under the coaching of former football great Ace Parker.

Who was the student manager on that team?

...sophomore Herb Neubauer

airowe
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ygc7q4j

And, look up OZZIE4DUKE using the search function on this site. He'll be able to get you in touch...

YourLandlord
02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
One time I went to a Duke basketball game at Cameron and this crazy guy was waving a towel in circles.

It was crazy.

YourLandlord
02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
And, look up OZZIE4DUKE using the search function on this site. He'll be able to get you in touch...http://www.dukeozzie.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return

77devil
02-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I am a current Crazie (actually a front row regular) and I am attempting to compile some Kville history with a particular focus on Crazy Towel Guy. Any and all anectodes or memories would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this recent thread.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361558#post361558

airowe
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.dukeozzie.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return

Haha. Yeah, that's him. :rolleyes:

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ygc7q4j

And, look up OZZIE4DUKE using the search function on this site. He'll be able to get you in touch...

http://www.dukeozzie.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return
That's the wrong guy!

I've got his card around here somewhere with his email on it. Real easy to remember most of it - crazietowelguy@???.com I think it's yahoo, but I'm not sure.

GODUKEGO
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Crazies, as a high school junior or senior and I am a guest of Duke at the Carolina game, I would be quite tickled maybe enough to commit if my name is being chanted by the Crazies over and over. Up to you guys and gals to get these two!!!

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/shabazz-muhammad-set-to-visit-duke-for-unc-game/

Schminglerfan
02-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the links guys. Any times that you can remember that might follow

I'll never forget when...

or

I couldn't believe he....

or

It was so great that time.....

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
I once ate a BBQ sandwich next to him in the annex. I was in awe of his celebrity.

-jk
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
He lost a massive Duke t-shirt collection and an awesome(ly hot) Duke leather hat in a house fire.

He once came this close to being arrested into protective custody in Phog Allen.

He did get arrested for allegedly scalping tickets at the '88 final four in KC. When they ran his record, they also ran him in for an unpaid parking ticket from the '64 final four in KC.

And he's able to create remarkable weather simply by waving his towel.

-jk

Kedsy
02-23-2010, 12:03 AM
He lost a massive Duke t-shirt collection and an awesome(ly hot) Duke leather hat in a house fire.

The hat is what he was famous for until fairly recently. I sat next to him at the regional final in Detroit in 1991. He made me show him my ticket to prove I really belonged in the seat. He told me he'd received several offers to buy the hat, for thousands of dollars, but he refused. He was never giving it up. When he lost it in the fire, I understand he was quite distraught. Then the following year he showed up with the towel and the rest is history.

UrinalCake
02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
By some amazing fortune I got a seat next to him at a preseason game that Duke played in the Greensboro Colliseum, circa 1998. He was an amazingly friendly and down-to-earth guy. Kids were coming up to him constantly asking for an autograph or a picture, and he acted like he was genuinely thrilled by it every time. Truly a legend in Duke history.

Carlos
02-23-2010, 01:17 AM
You could always walk up to him in the concourse outside of section 9 during halftime and ask him yourself.

The other thing you should know about Herb is that he's not just a guy who shows up at Duke basketball or football games... he's often in the crowd for the non-revenue sports. Don't be surprised if you decide to take in a women's field hockey game or a soccer game on a rainy day and you see him in the stands.

ricks68
02-23-2010, 02:37 AM
I talked to him just before the beginning of the Va Tech game on the concourse outside section 9. He has always been very approachable. I think his goal this year is to attend every Duke home game in all sports, so you should be able to talk to him a lot.:)

ricks

Reilly
02-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Before he was known as Crazy Towel Guy, he was known to some undergrads as “Superfan” (this was during the blue leather hat days of the late 1980s).

In 1991, I was at the football game at South Carolina, and I heard someone say to him, “Superfan, we thought we’d see you here.”

A friend of mine has actually analyzed the change in nickname from a socio/pop culture perspective.

From a 1980s “Morning in America”/affirmation of power/Superman/Superfan perspective ..... to a 1990s more ironic, perhaps cynical, otherness perspective that sounds like the Friends sitcom neighbor “Crazy Naked Guy”.

In one formulation, we all fans together and he is Superfan; in the other, he is set apart – we are sane but he is crazy.

I realize that the “Crazy” is said with love and respect and he embraces it and that will be how things are remembered, but he will always be more “super” than crazy to me.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2010, 08:43 AM
One thing to know about Herb is that he is a great supporter of ALL Duke sports, not just basketball. I remember a football game 3 years ago (Roof's last season) and Wade was about as hot and as empty as it could be. You could sit anywhere you wanted, and down below us was Herb with a "Wade Wackos" shirt on waving a giant flag. The game was ugly, the crowd was ugly, but he was there anyways. He also has tickets to all of the women's basketball games, and he goes on the road to see them play, too. I believe he is on a quest to go to one game or match of every Duke sport this year..I know I read that somewhere recently (and I just read Ricks68 mention of it as well). As other's have said, he is approachable and is a great guy to talk to. Make it to a football game this year, and visit him on Devil's Alley..he has a tent a couple spaces down from the Brunchgaters.

barjwr
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-47224sy0feb10,0,6248530.story?coll=dp-sports-local

airowe
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
I sat next to CTG at my second Duke game in Cameron ever. It was 1992, I believe, and I was 12 years old. My uncle lived next to an Iron Duke who also was a pilot and he happened to be out of town at the time of the game. I sat to the right of CTG and to his left was Christian Laettner's Mom in a neckbrace. She couldn't sit downstairs because of her injury and I remember thinking, if she's sitting up here, I must be in a really good seat!

Before the game started, I was soaking in all the sights and sounds as I had already fallen in love with Cameron and Duke Basketball after my first visit during the Alarie/Bilas days. I had the pennants and the team posters (all signed!) At home and spent hours in the driveway dribbling my Duke Basketball with my #11 jersey on. I thought I was the biggest Duke fan ever.

And then I turned to my left and saw CTG's Duke shoes. And then I saw his socks with the little Devils on them. I saw his pants with the Duke shield and his oversized Duke belt buckle on his Duke belt. His Duke shirt and hat didn't surprise me much, but then I noticed he wore Duke eyeglasses and a Duke watch, along with a Duke ring. Every single article of clothing this man wore was Duke-related and my ego was shattered. I realized then and there that I was not the biggest Duke fan in the world. I also realized that being a Duke fan was a real thing and not just something you did to pass the time. To be a true fan, you had to live and breathe Duke just like Cameron does. 18 years later, I still haven't stopped.

sagegrouse
02-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Herb was on national TV (CBS morning show?) before the Duke-UNLV final in Denver in 1990 (the bad one), which I also attended, as one of two Duke fans and two LV fans. I remember he heckled the ladies a little bit for NCAA violations, when they talked about having the Running Reb lads over for dinner.

One story that Herb tells is of being the last guy on a plane to Louisville (maybe the regional final in 1980 at Lexington against Purdue?). I mean he was the last guy -- he rode in the jump seat reserved for the crew. A male flight attendant felt sorry for him and let him on the plane. You should get the details from the horse's mouth.

sagegrouse

Udaman
02-23-2010, 09:39 AM
1. When did the Crazies start calling him Crazy Towel Guy? I graduated in 1990...he was definitely there when I was an undergrad, but wasn't CTG just yet. I do remember that at certain times when the students were urging the people in the high seats to get into the game, he would stand up and wave his towel as well, and the students would go crazy.

I left Duke in 1994 to go to B-School, and attended games then, and while I was at school (through 1996) and there was no CTG chants then either. First time I remember hearing it was at a game I went to in 2001, after I had returned to work at Duke. Not only did I think it was hysterical...but I was mad that we hadn't thought of it earlier while an undergrad.

Note (although this is not exactly associated with the thread here), things that did start during my tenure as an undergrad....the saying "Hi Steve." etc when the players were introduced. That started in 1988. Also the taking your hands and waving them in a circle during free throws and going "Whoo...Whooo...Whooo" as well as the jumping up and down during free throws started in 1988 at the Duke - Kansas game when Danny Ferry had his jersey retired. Both were coordinated by the Duke Band, and it was awesome to watch. Even Coach K commented on it afterwards. Yep, those things (which everyone does now) and "Airball" were all started by the Cameron Crazies.

2) Why doesn't Duke sell jerseys with the #6 on the front - and on the back say either "Crazy" or "Crazy Towel Guy". After all, we are the 6th man.

3) It would be great for one day to have a scholarship for an athlete in honor of CTG. The guy lives and breathes all things Duke sports. He's at every men's and women's game, at all the football games, at most of the other sporting events as well. Truth be told, something should be named after him.

Just my thoughts.

dukejim1
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I remember Herb being treated by EMT's at a game once. Rumors (I never knew the real story) flew around Cameron that Herb had a heart problem during that game. All I know is that he was at the next home game.

Schminglerfan
02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Great Stuff! I really appreciate you all taking the time. Keep it coming. You are filling in the picture.

MulletMan
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
You could always walk up to him in the concourse outside of section 9 during halftime and ask him yourself.

The other thing you should know about Herb is that he's not just a guy who shows up at Duke basketball or football games... he's often in the crowd for the non-revenue sports. Don't be surprised if you decide to take in a women's field hockey game or a soccer game on a rainy day and you see him in the stands.

I believe his goal is to make a home game for every single sport that fields a team this year.

SharkD
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Some say that he's had his elbows replaced with titanium U-Joints for more efficient towel swirling and that must wear gloves 24 hours a day, lest everything he touch turns a shade of Pantone 287...

Some say that he becomes irrationally enraged when exposed to light blue argyle and that wherever you are in the world if you tune your radio to 620am you can actually hear his thoughts...

...All we know for certain is that his name is Crazy Towel Guy and he's the greatest Duke fan ever.

[/Jeremy (http://motortorque.askaprice.com/articles/auto-0806/some-say-stigisms-the-complete-stig-introductions.asp) Clarkson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFhPV32tjY)]

sagegrouse
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I remember Herb being treated by EMT's at a game once. Rumors (I never knew the real story) flew around Cameron that Herb had a heart problem during that game. All I know is that he was at the next home game.

There was a newspaper article, probably the Durham paper during the 1990s, detailing his exploits and life history. IIRC the article discussed some health issues and heart surgery. You may want to find it. I am sure the Duke Library, which has all the great newspapers of the world, would have the Durham Morning Herald (which I believe it was then).:)

sagegrouse

roywhite
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
There was a newspaper article, probably the Durham paper during the 1990s, detailing his exploits and life history. IIRC the article discussed some health issues and heart surgery. You may want to find it. I am sure the Duke Library, which has all the great newspapers of the world, would have the Durham Morning Herald (which I believe it was then).:)

sagegrouse

Herb has had some heart trouble and procedures done. Recall seeing that he quizzed the entire surgical team including nurses and techs before going under the knife to make sure none was a UNC fan.

Schminglerfan
02-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Herb has had some heart trouble and procedures done. Recall seeing that he quizzed the entire surgical team including nurses and techs before going under the knife to make sure none was a UNC fan.

If this is true, it's AWESOME. Anyone know if he is married? I think it would be hard to compete with his Number 1 love.

DukeUsul
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I believe the CTG chants started in the late 90s. I don't recall them from my first two years (the 96 and 97 seasons). But by my senior year, CTG was signing towels in the Bryan Center for some kind of benefit (I still have one somewhere....)

CrazyNotCrazie
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Crazy Towel Guy was using that title at least back in the mid-90s - a quick search of The Chronicle archives shows the following story referencing him by this title in 1996:

http://dukechronicle.com/node/110416

Raleighfan
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM

He once came this close to being arrested into protective custody in Phog Allen.

He did get arrested for allegedly scalping tickets at the '88 final four in KC. When they ran his record, they also ran him in for an unpaid parking ticket from the '64 final four in KC.

And he's able to create remarkable weather simply by waving his towel.

-jk

I'd wondered what happened to that leather hat. My theory was that the leather hat was just too darn hot to wear in Cameron. Ha, I used to wonder if Herb even took off the leather hat, then one day it just disappeared.

I remember the scalping incident in KC at the '88 Final Four....Duke wasn't in the final game and lots of Duke fans were selling their tix.

Hub and I had the honor of sitting with Herb and his lovely Mrs. at last year's MBB banquet. He was great company and decked out like a GQ model...OK, a senior GQ model.

NovaScotian
02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the links guys. Any times that you can remember that might follow

I'll never forget when...

or

I couldn't believe he....

or

It was so great that time.....

that everyone chanted his name, and then he stood up and waved his towel around.

Greg_Newton
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
that everyone chanted his name, and then he stood up and waved his towel around.

Wait a minute... I think I was there too!

Kdogg
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
1. When did the Crazies start calling him Crazy Towel Guy? I graduated in 1990...he was definitely there when I was an undergrad, but wasn't CTG just yet. I do remember that at certain times when the students were urging the people in the high seats to get into the game, he would stand up and wave his towel as well, and the students would go crazy.

I left Duke in 1994 to go to B-School, and attended games then, and while I was at school (through 1996) and there was no CTG chants then either. First time I remember hearing it was at a game I went to in 2001, after I had returned to work at Duke. Not only did I think it was hysterical...but I was mad that we hadn't thought of it earlier while an undergrad.

I'm pretty sure the chant started in the 95/96 season. I can't remember the opponent but I do remember CTG firing up a lackadaisical crowd after the other team went on a run. He put the wind back in our sails and the chant was born.

godukecom
02-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I sat next to him at the DUKE-unc womens game in chapel hill 2 years ago. Of course, our ladies didnt have a good night, but Herb was very friendly and accepting