PDA

View Full Version : ACC Teams that could make some noise

shadowfax336
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Who (besides us) from the ACC has the best chance of winning a few NCAA tournament games this year? At the beginning of the year I would have said Clemson. A few weeks ago I would have said Georgia Tech. More recently its looked like Maryland.

This guy says Wake Forest: http://rankphilia.blogspot.com/2010/02/biggest-acc-myths-this-season-1.html

Any thoughts? FWIW Maryland has now risen to 12th in the Pomeroy rankings and VT is 25th, with Wake checking in at 36 (they just dropped a bunch after their loss to State).

CDu
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd say that Maryland and Wake are the only strong candidates. None of the others have enough balance offensively. Wake has a dynamite PG and a star at PF, and solid depth in the paint. Maryland has great pair of guards, can really shoot, and have a promising big man who is improving.

That said, I don't feel all that excited about Maryland or Wake either. Wake can't shoot it very consistently, and Maryland has very inconsistent inside play. I wouldn't bet heavily on any of the other ACC teams (aside from us) to make it to the second weekend of the tournament.

blueprofessor
02-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Who (besides us) from the ACC has the best chance of winning a few NCAA tournament games this year? At the beginning of the year I would have said Clemson. A few weeks ago I would have said Georgia Tech. More recently its looked like Maryland.

This guy says Wake Forest: http://rankphilia.blogspot.com/2010/02/biggest-acc-myths-this-season-1.html

Any thoughts? FWIW Maryland has now risen to 12th in the Pomeroy rankings and VT is 25th, with Wake checking in at 36 (they just dropped a bunch after their loss to State).

FSU and Clemson are ranked 16th and 18th ,respectively, by Pomeroy.
As much as I pull for Clemson, they underperform.
I would add FSU to the list of ACC teams that could make some noise ( but 2 wins would be tops).

Best--Blueprofessor:)

davekay1971
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
It could be an ugly first weekend for the ACC.

Let's take best case scenario and the league gets in Duke, Maryland, Wake, Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, and FSU.

We're good enough that we should get through to the 2nd weekend. Hopefully that'll happen (rubbing my lucky rabbits foot to ward off evil karma).

The other 6 teams all have enough flaws and inconsistent play to get bounced in the first or second round. At best, Maryland may get a 4 seed. Everyone else is going to be 5 through 10 seeds. Tough 1st round opponents followed by tough second round opponents. Say Wake or VT is a 5 seed...I'm picking the 12, no question!

I hope I'm wrong...but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke was the only ACC team to make the sweet 16. Maryland probably has the best chance otherwise.

CDu
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
It could be an ugly first weekend for the ACC.

Let's take best case scenario and the league gets in Duke, Maryland, Wake, Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, and FSU.

We're good enough that we should get through to the 2nd weekend. Hopefully that'll happen (rubbing my lucky rabbits foot to ward off evil karma).

The other 6 teams all have enough flaws and inconsistent play to get bounced in the first or second round. At best, Maryland may get a 4 seed. Everyone else is going to be 5 through 10 seeds. Tough 1st round opponents followed by tough second round opponents. Say Wake or VT is a 5 seed...I'm picking the 12, no question!

I hope I'm wrong...but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke was the only ACC team to make the sweet 16. Maryland probably has the best chance otherwise.

I agree. It's very important to note the difficulty of the paths that those teams will have to take to get to the second weekend. that the currently Bracketology suggests the following seeds:

Wake (6)
Maryland (7)
Clemson (8)
FSU (8)
VT (9)
GT (10)

If these seeds were to hold accurate, then nearly all of these teams are expected be HEAVY underdogs in the second round (if not the opening round). All but Wake would be expected to face a #1 or #2 seed in round 2. So it would take big upsets for them to make the second weekend.

PumpkinFunk
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree. It's very important to note the difficulty of the paths that those teams will have to take to get to the second weekend. that the currently Bracketology suggests the following seeds:

Wake (6)
Maryland (7)
Clemson (8)
FSU (8)
VT (9)
GT (10)

If these seeds were to hold accurate, then nearly all of these teams are expected be HEAVY underdogs in the second round (if not the opening round). All but Wake would be expected to face a #1 or #2 seed in round 2. So it would take big upsets for them to make the second weekend.

That may be true, but if anyone gets a 6 seed (or even a 7) they could make it to the 2nd weekend. Except Clemson vs. Kentucky (John Wall sucking against the press, I'd bet) none of these can take down a 1 seed, but a 2 or 3 (or even a 4?) and I'd put some stock in them maybe being able to get to the 2nd weekend.

Some weak 2/3/4 seeds:

KState (2) - Not totally sold here on them. Good wins, but their best keeps getting worse
Vanderbilt (3) - Away from home, they're not nearly as good
New Mexico (3) - BYU at home is their best win... not much beyond there.
Pitt (4) - I'm not sold
BYU (4) - Similar to New Mexico in my eyes - UNLV is best win
Gonzaga (4) - Best win was Wisconsin, a long time ago... since then, it's St. Mary's. Not totally sold here on their ability to go deep.

With the right draw, a Maryland or Wake or GT (or even Clemson if a team is turnover-prone) could make a wave in the NCAAs. I'm not gonna write off any ACC team just yet until I see the final bracket.