PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Tulsa Pre-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-22-2010, 12:15 AM
While I think of it, here is a thread for the Thursday night game against Tulsa.

Tulsa coach Doug Wojcik is familiar because he was one of Doherty's assistants at Notre Dame and UNC. Like K, he was a service academy player and coach. He played with the Admiral, David Robinson, at Navy in the mid-1980s and coached as an assistant there for about eight years.

Some obvious questions:

1. What's the over-under on bench minutes? K seems to want to play everyone in non-conference games.

2. What's the over-under on points made by someone not named Scheyer, Smith or Singler? It was only four points against VT.

3. How will Zoubs do against another man his size? Tulsa's second leading scorer and leading rebounder is Jerome Jordan, listed at 7-0 and 250 lbs.

sagegrouse

Battery
02-22-2010, 04:29 AM
In response to sagegrouse's questions:

1. Our bench gets 45 minutes

2. Non tripleS scoring is 22 points

3. Zoubs will have 8 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 4 assists and 4 fouls. I say he holds is own. Momentum is a powerful force. Senior Year Momentum is a different beast.

Additionally, I would like to see the Plumlees play with some maturity. Mason should be playing on a sophomore level this late in the season. Miles needs to get his swagger on and dunk on a few fools. Maybe some good set plays like the ones we ran for Dahntay "PushUps" Jones in '02-'03? Since re-entering the rotation, Andre has gone 1-11:( Please God, let the slump be over. I hope Lance stays healthy and Ryan plays some good D.

allenmurray
02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
3. Zoubs will have 8 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 4 assists and 4 fouls. I say he holds is own. Momentum is a powerful force. Senior Year Momentum is a different beast.

In addition he will set up the courtside chairs before the game, prepare the pre-game meal, marry one of the cheerleaders, and turn the water into gatorade.

Who knows what he might do in the second half.

MarkD83
02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
a starting line-up of

Mason
Miles
Ryan
Andre
Nolan

with Jon subbing for Nolan at the 5 min mark and

Zoubs, Lance, Kyle, Nolan subbing for Mason, Miles, Ryan and Andre at the 10 min mark.

Instant 5- 10 minute rest for the big 3 and the plenty of game to go.

Morris614
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
In addition he will set up the courtside chairs before the game, prepare the pre-game meal, marry one of the cheerleaders, and turn the water into gatorade.

Got to wait for the UNC game to propose to a cheerleader, game day will be there, conditions are perfect. Then he will sing "if you're into it" by flight of the conchords.

-bdbd
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry, but the early tone here seems to say Tulsa is not considered a big threat. Is that true? Lord knows we could use some rest and bench-play-time before UVA, MD and NC@CH.

:)

DeBlueDevil
02-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Tulsa is supposed to be a solid team so I don't expect to run away with this one until the 2nd half. I like the fact we're home and we'll most likely shoot well. I just hope we take care of business so we can get the young guys in and get nolan, jon, and kyle so much needed time on the bench to rest those legs. Still a long road ahead but I like the pace at which we're moving so far. I'd like to see a huge game from Mason personally and I always love seeing Zoubs play well

MChambers
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but the early tone here seems to say Tulsa is not considered a big threat. Is that true? Lord knows we could use some rest and bench-play-time before UVA, MD and NC@CH.

The dork polls say that Tulsa isn't all that strong, ranked #71 by Pomeroy and #64 by Sagarin (pure points predictor). To put this in perspective, they are ranked lower than UNC.

Tulsa is on a slide, having lost 4 of its last 5. They are big, however, and yet defend the 3 well.

Their big man, Jordan, is big, like almost Zoubek big. I guess he is a small mountain. He also does a good job of getting to the line.

bluepenguin
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Most likely channel Patrick Davidson!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
The dork polls say that Tulsa isn't all that strong, ranked #71 by Pomeroy and #64 by Sagarin (pure points predictor). To put this in perspective, they are ranked lower than UNC.

Tulsa is on a slide, having lost 4 of its last 5. They are big, however, and yet defend the 3 well.

Their big man, Jordan, is big, like almost Zoubek big. I guess he is a small mountain. He also does a good job of getting to the line.

Jordan may be the best big man we see all year, so nice test for Zoubs and the Plumlee's. You are correct about their slide. They were in great shape a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to put a stamp on a good season, but lost at home to Memphis and conference leading UTEP, along with @Marshall so they are in desperate need of a big win. Their best win of the year may be at home against Oklahoma St which was before conference play began. I'd say that they are out of the bubble watch right now, but could be back in it with a few nice wins. We gotta keep our foot on the accelerator for this type of game.

Greg_Newton
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
They are big, however, and yet defend the 3 well.

Yeah, wait, is Tulsa bigger than us? Their top 5 scorers (G-G-F-F-C) are 6-3/200, 6-4/195, 6-7/235, 6-10/240, and 7-0/250. That's huge for a college team.

This should be a team we handle given who they've beaten/lost to this season - they seem like a less-talented version of Charlotte - but obviously, nothing is a given this season. I just hope Jon and Lance get some rest this week (game and practice), I hate to see them slowed by injuries at such a crucial juncture.

sagegrouse
02-22-2010, 03:01 PM

My perspective on K, at this stage of his career, is that in a February non-conference game, he will use a deep rotation and give the bench players lots of minutes, independent of the course of the game.

The fact that Tulsa is big will help with the rotation because I doubt that Duke will use a three guard lineup very much, except to rest Kyle. Therefore, the five inside players will get to split a full 80 minutes, or maybe 85, if Ryan subs for Kyle.

sagegrouse

94duke
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
My perspective on K, at this stage of his career, is that in a February non-conference game, he will use a deep rotation and give the bench players lots of minutes, independent of the course of the game.

The fact that Tulsa is big will help with the rotation because I doubt that Duke will use a three guard lineup very much, except to rest Kyle. Therefore, the five inside players will get to split a full 80 minutes, or maybe 85, if Ryan subs for Kyle.

sagegrouse

The big IF...
If Miles and Mason can stay out of foul trouble and play defense, then they can garner those minutes.

Classof06
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Hate to reiterate previous posts, but I'll be looking at:

1. How Zoubek fares against Jerome Jordan. This will be a good test for Zoubek; it's been a while (Alabi of FSU?) since Brian has faced someone his size and I'll be interested to see if he can continue his rebounding prowess against the 7-0 Jordan.

2. The maturation of the Plumlees. It may sound weird, but this is what I look forward to seeing most each Duke game; needless to say, I was very disappointed last night. Duke needs one of these brothers to assert themselves offensively if we are to do real damage this March (even with Zoubek's recent surge). Time is running out and performances like last night cannot continue to happen for either brother. I've said all year that I think Krzyzewski should play them more but you can't do that when they can't stay outta foul trouble.

MChambers
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM

1. How Zoubek fares against Jerome Jordan. This will be a good test for Zoubek; it's been a while (Alabi of FSU?) since Brian has faced someone his size and I'll be interested to see if he can continue his rebounding prowess against the 7-0 Jordan.

2. The maturation of the Plumlees. It may sound weird, but this is what I look forward to seeing most each Duke game; needless to say, I was very disappointed last night. Duke needs one of these brothers to assert themselves offensively if we are to do real damage this March (even with Zoubek's recent surge). Time is running out and performances like last night cannot continue to happen for either brother. I've said all year that I think Krzyzewski should play them more but you can't do that when they can't stay outta foul trouble.

Wonder if Tulsa plays a zone? Zoubek will be screening all day, so Tulsa, like FSU, will have to decide how to handle that.

I agree with you on the brothers Plumlee. Sure would like to see them return to their Wake Forest game form.

CDu
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Well, it depends on what you mean by "serious threat." They have a few good players. They have great size and good scoring balance (two post scorers and three pretty good shooters. So in that sense, they are a threat.

But considering that we'll be at home, we should win handily. Tulsa is an okay team (probably a top-60/80 team). They're about on par with UVa/BC/etc. Pomeroy has us winning by 20. So they're not a team Duke can sleep on, but they also aren't a team that should have any business challenging us on our home floor.

SilkyJ
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM

2. The maturation of the Plumlees. It may sound weird, but this is what I look forward to seeing most each Duke game; needless to say, I was very disappointed last night.

I don't think it sounds weird -- I'm 100% with you. I've thought all season that their development determines our ceiling. Given how slow their development has been and how strongly Zoubs has come on in Feb, I may be changing my tune a little, but clearly their play can be a difference maker in March. Here's to 3 more weeks of some plum improvement.

I've said all year that I think Krzyzewski should play them more but you can't do that when they can't stay outta foul trouble.

I've said that all year as well, but its also tough to put them on the court when you've got a senior center who is simply outplaying them. He is one of the best rebounders in the entire country (and that's not an exaggeration), he's playing solid defense, showing great court awareness, doing little things like setting screens, being in the right place etc, and just generally playing the best ball of his career. Right now we're seeing where Zoubs could have been a year or so ago if not for the injuries that plagued his early days at Duke. Foul trouble is a factor for the plumlees too, but the MPs have to earn their PT and place in the lineup first and right now Zoubs is outplaying them.

cato
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
How will Zoubs do against another man his size? Tulsa's second leading scorer and leading rebounder is Jerome Jordan, listed at 7-0 and 250 lbs.

I don't have stats to back this up, but my impression is that Zoubs has trouble with speed, not size. Unless Jordan is quick (which I doubt, since quick 7 footers tend to be drawing large paychecks), Z will be fine. I am not sure anyone else will be able to handle that kind of size, though.

Saratoga2
02-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Brian implies that he has been playing better most of this year, but up until recently, the foul trouble just limited his time so much that he couldn't make the impact he has made during the last few games.

I wonder what it is/was that has brought his game awareness to a new level and whether he could impart some of his maturation process on the Plumlees.

I see that Brian is in better shape this year, and perhaps he has become more aggressive. When he remembers to keep the ball high he is also a much better player. You can see him lapse from that for a few plays but then seems to realize and corrects the problem.

You can't teach size, and Brian has had that all along, but he didn't act as though he was a mountain of a man. It would be really interesting to know what lightbulb clicked on for him.

As far as Lance is concerned, his improvement process has been more gradual. He has always been high energy but tended to get into foul trouble and turn the ball over a lot. Remember when he couldn't hit his foul shots and had no midrange shot at all?

Now Lance can hit a creditable % of his free throws, and can at times make the midrange jumper. I assume that a lot of hard work has gone into those improvements.

Lance has always been given tough defensive assignments on the floor and is fouling less, but still tends to be a little foul prone. He is making better decisions with the ball and was a big help in breaking the Clemson press. I also notice how much he hustles, frequently sprinting down the floor to get into a good defensive position.

I think both Plumless could also learn from Lance. Do you suppose they are really aware of what is required to be good defensively? I have noticed they are more casual in getting up the floor. Perhaps this is just a matter of experience, but I wouldn't think realization would happen as a step change, more as a gradual learning process.

Kelly looks like he is progressing on a more gradual basis but his gains are noticeable. His physical strength is limiting him a little, but his grasp of the game seems to be progressing faster than either Plumless.

I would hope that the Tulsa game will be a vehicle that allows the Plumlees and Kelly to get some valuable minutes and they go from reacting to situations to making others to react to them.

Morris614
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I think Kelly's D is probably limiting him. From what I have seen is is not quick enough to keep up with most 3's, and not strong enough to play D on the low post.

David
02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Anyone know the background of how Tulsa was selected for the schedule? Duke last played them in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 1999 and won 97-56.

gep
02-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't have stats to back this up, but my impression is that Zoubs has trouble with speed, not size. Unless Jordan is quick (which I doubt, since quick 7 footers tend to be drawing large paychecks), Z will be fine. I am not sure anyone else will be able to handle that kind of size, though.

Along this line... in the recent games, I thought I saw Brian looking for anyone to box out waiting for a rebound. I don't think you need speed for this, just height, strength, and smarts... which Brian has...:rolleyes: So, if this Jordan is not especially quick, I say Brian "eats him up":D

Morris614
02-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Anyone know the background of how Tulsa was selected for the schedule? Duke last played them in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 1999 and won 97-56.

I was wondering the same thing. I have to assume its to give the players a break from the ACC schedule. I dont think it is meant to be a challenging game.

airowe
02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=140274075&mid=140274075&sid=1021&style=2

DBFAN
02-23-2010, 01:33 AM
I have seen and heard a lot of people talking about why K scheduled this game against Tulsa. In my opinion, I think it is a brilliant move, this game could be a game in which we get Mason, and Miles, and Dawkins some confidence, and going into tourney time, how much better would we be if they were able to contribute just a little more. Maybe I am just being optimistic, but I like it.

By the way the read on one of the other threads about the Tulsa coach, is pretty cool, makes me very proud to be a Duke fan.

Go Duke

1999ballboy
02-23-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm just glad this game is at home.

Tulsa's a good team and shouldn't be sold short. That said, it is incredibly difficult for out-of-conference opponents to win in Cameron. I wouldn't count on our bench necessarily getting more minutes because this is the game we can least afford to lose. Losing this game would damage our tournament resume more than a conference loss, probably even to the University of Nobody Cares. I do expect K to play Dawkins and Kelly for spot minutes in the first half unless we're losing, but in the second half we'll have to get a decent lead (or serious foul trouble) before they come in again.

Dawkins has been getting plenty of minutes anyway, and I actually liked his play against VT; he was much more aggressive and worked harder to get open, and I really liked his enthusiasm on the bench. The shots just need to fall. The Plumlees' minutes have fallen, but that's been for a good reason, namely, to clear the way for a suddenly dominant Brian Zoubek.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Tulsa is a team that could be an early round opponent for us either in the first or second most likely the second. I think K scheduled this game to switch things up a little bit for the team. We've struggled in the first round lately. So I think this game was scheduled to get some experience against a first two rounds opponent. Although its looking more like Tulsa wont be in this year unless they can pull some wins together, and win a few in their tournament.

Airforcedukie

94duke
02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=140274075&mid=140274075&sid=1021&style=2

Thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Bob Green
02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I have to assume its to give the players a break from the ACC schedule. I dont think it is meant to be a challenging game.

If the staff just wanted to give the players a break from the ACC schedule, they could have skipped the mid-week game altogether. Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and N.C. State do not play a mid-week game this week. IMO, the Tulsa match-up is meant to simulate a 1st or 2nd round NCAAT game.

Acymetric
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
If the staff just wanted to give the players a break from the ACC schedule, they could have skipped the mid-week game altogether. Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and N.C. State do not play a mid-week game this week. IMO, the Tulsa match-up is meant to simulate a 1st or 2nd round NCAAT game.

It could also be used as sort of a middleground between playing a tough game late and taking the day off. This game could work better than a practice at trying out new strategies, lineups, and set plays. It can also be used to get some of the bench players into the game (maybe this will happen, maybe not, but definitely a possibility). Plus, if we roll to a big win it could help pump up confidence a little bit getting an easy win late in the season before the tournament.

MChambers
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

I agree with Bob, as usual. I don't think Duke was trying to schedule an easy workout with Tulsa.

Coach K has long said that he thinks there is a benefit to playing late season games outside the conference, so you're playing a team with whom you are not familiar (and vice versa). I'm sure Duke is taking the game very seriously, recognizing that Tulsa is a good (not great) team, with a good coach.

HateCarolina
02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I think Kelly's D is probably limiting him. From what I have seen is is not quick enough to keep up with most 3's, and not strong enough to play D on the low post.

I do agree with what you're saying and I really think this is part of the normal freshman transition. I am curious because I see previous comments in this thread and elsewhere that refer to him as one of our "bigs". I do recognize that he is 6'10'', but I have never thought of him as a "big", but rather a shooter.

I really hope he can get some more minutes and build some confidence because he could be a real nightmare match up for other teams in the tourney and more importantly in the years to come.

What does everyone else think?

Go Blue Devils!!!!!

Kedsy
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I do agree with what you're saying and I really think this is part of the normal freshman transition. I am curious because I see previous comments in this thread and elsewhere that refer to him as one of our "bigs". I do recognize that he is 6'10'', but I have never thought of him as a "big", but rather a shooter.

I really hope he can get some more minutes and build some confidence because he could be a real nightmare match up for other teams in the tourney and more importantly in the years to come.

What does everyone else think?

Go Blue Devils!!!!!

Ryan is 5th on the team in blocks, and first by a large margin in blocks per minute (2.93 blocks per 40). He also has a respectable 7+ rebounds per 40 minutes. He has an outside shot and he's a good passer (especially from the outside into the post), but he's definitely a big, not a wing. He's certainly not as strong as he's going to be, but he doesn't look like he's being pushed around to me.

Having said all that, he's not going to play enough this year to be a matchup nightmare for anybody, but in the years-to-come department, I expect him to be a star before he leaves.

Morris614
02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Ryan is 5th on the team in blocks, and first by a large margin in blocks per minute (2.93 blocks per 40). He also has a respectable 7+ rebounds per 40 minutes. He has an outside shot and he's a good passer (especially from the outside into the post), but he's definitely a big, not a wing. He's certainly not as strong as he's going to be, but he doesn't look like he's being pushed around to me.

Having said all that, he's not going to play enough this year to be a matchup nightmare for anybody, but in the years-to-come department, I expect him to be a star before he leaves.

When Kelly comes in, Singler usually moves to the four spot (if they are in together) I think that alone signifies that at least for the time being, Kelly is a wing.

Chandler Parsons for Florida, has a very similar body type as Kelly. He averages 7.0 rebounds per game, yet he is a wing. So rebounding alone does not mean you cant play on the wing (plus the stat per 40 minute skews everything). Even if Kelly gets time at the 4- I think he will mostly play on the outside, like a Parsons, Novak, or even like Robbie Hummel. I dont think he will spend too much time on the low block.

Kedsy
02-24-2010, 01:27 AM
When Kelly comes in, Singler usually moves to the four spot (if they are in together) I think that alone signifies that at least for the time being, Kelly is a wing.

This just isn't true. First of all, Ryan and Kyle seldom play together. Secondly, Ryan almost never guards wings on defense. No matter where you see him on the floor on offense, at Duke where you defend is who you are, and he defends 4s (and occasionally 5s).

Chandler Parsons for Florida, has a very similar body type as Kelly. He averages 7.0 rebounds per game, yet he is a wing. So rebounding alone does not mean you cant play on the wing (plus the stat per 40 minute skews everything). Even if Kelly gets time at the 4- I think he will mostly play on the outside, like a Parsons, Novak, or even like Robbie Hummel. I dont think he will spend too much time on the low block.

I agree with this. But whether he can or not, Ryan won't play the wing very often because his defense is subpar there. It is much better at power forward. Also, by the time he's a junior he'll be strong enough to be a very effective player on the low block. Just you wait.

Bob Green
02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/02/coach-k-calls-team-meeting/

Coach K invites student body to a team meeting.

The Gordog
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Anybody know what channel this is on? The schedule here at DBR says ESPN2, but my cable guide says they are showing the Notre Dame game?

77devil
02-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Anybody know what channel this is on? The schedule here at DBR says ESPN2, but my cable guide says they are showing the Notre Dame game?

ESPN2 in Philly according to my cable schedule. Saw an ESPN promo last night as well showing the game on ESPN2 as part of a double header followed by USC vs Kentucky.

The Gordog
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
ESPN2 in Philly according to my cable schedule. Saw an ESPN promo last night as well showing the game on ESPN2 as part of a double header followed by USC vs Kentucky.

They're showing Notre Dame vs. Pitt here in NoVA...

Arrrgh!

BD80
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Tomorrow. Tomorrow.

It's only a day away.

sagegrouse

Arrrgh!

Down, Boy! ND-Pitt is tonight. Duke-Tulsa is Thursday night at 7ET.

sagegrouse

77devil

Arrrgh!

Manhana.

The Gordog
02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry guys.

CDu
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
This just isn't true. First of all, Ryan and Kyle seldom play together. Secondly, Ryan almost never guards wings on defense. No matter where you see him on the floor on offense, at Duke where you defend is who you are, and he defends 4s (and occasionally 5s).

Actually, Singler and Kelly do play together a lot of the time that Kelly plays. If they didn't, that would be evidence that Kelly plays more at the 3 (because Kelly and Dawkins rarely play together). Most of Kelly's minutes come as a spot-sub for the bigs when they're in foul trouble. Because it's not like Singler is ever really out of the game anyway.

But that said, when Kelly does play, I agree - it's at the 4 defensively and as a fourth perimeter player offensively. And his future is not on the wing defensively.

Newton_14
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Actually, Singler and Kelly do play together a lot of the time that Kelly plays. If they didn't, that would be evidence that Kelly plays more at the 3 (because Kelly and Dawkins rarely play together). Most of Kelly's minutes come as a spot-sub for the bigs when they're in foul trouble. Because it's not like Singler is ever really out of the game anyway.

But that said, when Kelly does play, I agree - it's at the 4 defensively and as a fourth perimeter player offensively. And his future is not on the wing defensively.

Agree with both Kedsy and CDu, Kelly is definitely one of the 5 post players. I went to an open practice earlier this year. When they broke into groups according to position for drills, the 5 bigs were on one end working with Wojo and Nate and they were: Zoubs, Lance, Miles, Mason, and Kelly.

Collins was working with the perimeter players on the other end and at that time Olek and Singler were in the perimeter group with Coach Collins.

Also, and this is straying further off-topic, but some folks in other threads keep listing Miles as a 4 for next year and I think that is wrong. Miles is a 5, only plays the 5 this year, and will play and be the only 5 on the roster next year unless we add another recruit for that position. Mason will play both the 4 and the 5 next year depending on who is on the floor with him, but no way that Miles plays the 4.

Back on topic, it will be good to see Zoubs against the Tulsa big guy and see how he handles it. I am really hoping Zoubs builds on his recent good play and has really good games here on in no matter who the opponent is. I also hope Andre gets his shot going tomorrow night. I feel he is close to busting out of the shooting slump in a big way. That would do wonders for the team at this point...

Kedsy
02-24-2010, 11:55 PM
I also hope Andre gets his shot going tomorrow night. I feel he is close to busting out of the shooting slump in a big way. That would do wonders for the team at this point...

I agree. Tomorrow night could be a big game for Andre. And it would be great for the team if it happens.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-25-2010, 01:02 AM
I agree. Tomorrow night could be a big game for Andre. And it would be great for the team if it happens.

I feel like we've been saying this for three weeks now and we haven't seen it. With that said, he will definitely get his chances and all it takes is 1 or 2 of those shots to go through the net and he could go off.

Honestly though, I don't care if it's Andre, Mason, or Steve Johnson, I just want someone other than Knolon Shmingler (sp?) to go for double digits.

moonpie23
02-25-2010, 09:11 AM
And I'll be...
[Refrain]
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime
Work out!

hq2
02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
On another note...

Doug Wojcik is the guy Johnny Dawkins (now Stanford coach) posterized in 1986 in one of the top 10 dunks in Duke history. Johhny D reverse slammed right in his face. I am sure Wojcik has not forgotten it, and consequently has no love for Duke. He will be exhorting his players to give an all out effort.

roywhite
02-25-2010, 10:21 AM
On another note...

Doug Wojcik is the guy Johnny Dawkins (now Stanford coach) posterized in 1986 in one of the top 10 dunks in Duke history. Johhny D reverse slammed right in his face. I am sure Wojcik has not forgotten it, and consequently has no love for Duke. He will be exhorting his players to give an all out effort.

I'm not sure whether that play from 24 years ago weighs much on Coach Wojcik's mind. Or do Polish graduates of service academies have long memories? :)

A good relationship between Coach K and Wojcik is one reason this game is happening.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
If ever there was an appropriate time to have a 'Free Kielbasa Night,' it would be tonight.

Speaking of which, I'm getting hungry. Ummmmm....kielbasa....

MChambers
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
On another note...

You should watch the video of Wojcik's press confence linked earlier in this thread. He is remarkably complimentary as to Duke and Coach K, and others with Duke. He comes across as a class act.

I'm sure he'll be doing his best for his team, but not out of animosity.

cbnaylor
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I agree. I believe this game will be a little harder than expected. Just like others, I want to see that breakout performance from either Mason, or Dawkins....but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I just don't want to see them force it.

David
02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
And I'll be...
[Refrain]
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime
Work out!

Moonpie - that is one terrible song. Thanks for putting it in my head!

YourLandlord
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Spread is Duke by 18.5

Kfanarmy
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
...Honestly though, I don't care if it's Andre, Mason, or Steve Johnson, I just want someone other than Knolon Shmingler (sp?) to go for double digits.

even if said player turns the ball over three times, give up a half dozen free throws and gets lost on defense? Not saying this IS going to happen, but it COULD...If the someone other plays good D as well, then it would be a good thing, just getting points shouldn't be the full measure of performance though.

David
02-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Spread is Duke by 18.5

One of the current questions on ESPN.com's Streak for the Cash game asks participants to predict which will be greater in the Duke-Tulsa game:

Jon Scheyer Points or Duke's winning margin?

I predicted Scheyer's points.

mgtr
02-25-2010, 01:17 PM
One of the current questions on ESPN.com's Streak for the Cash game asks participants to predict which will be greater in the Duke-Tulsa game:

That is a very clever question -- a whole lot of factors enter into it.

CDu
02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

What a great question. Scheyer's points have been more than the game margin in 12 of the 15 games in 2010. I'd go with Scheyer too, but I wouldn't be all that confident in my prediction.

Neals384
02-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah, wait, is Tulsa bigger than us? Their top 5 scorers (G-G-F-F-C) are 6-3/200, 6-4/195, 6-7/235, 6-10/240, and 7-0/250. That's huge for a college team.

Duke's average on-court height for the season is 6' 6.88". Tulsa's average is 6' 6.22". Still, they are one of the longer teams in the country.

Greg_Newton
02-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Duke's average on-court height for the season is 6' 6.88". Tulsa's average is 6' 6.22". Still, they are one of the longer teams in the country.

They're also quite bulky - I'd say when you add that in, their starting five might outsize us slightly. Their 6'3 200 PG is much bigger than Nolan, and their 6'10 240 PF is much bigger than Lance!

Regardless, I imagine we'll have a considerable quickness advantage, which bodes well for us. We tend to have trouble with quick, skilled teams that spread the floor, not big, clunky, physical teams.

WiJoe
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's your address for the online call:

http://listen.mediatechusa.com:8080/wzky

riverside6
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3833

Starters are posted and there are no surprises for Duke.

Tucknut
02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
What were the announcers saying about Laettner? Sorry, I was on a beverage break and missed it.

MrBisonDevil
02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Coach K is playing the underclassmen early (Dawkins + Kelly + The Bros). Nice to see these kids get early playing time. Hopefully it will help build confidence as we close out the reg season and enter the ACC Tourney.

MrBisonDevil
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
What were the announcers saying about Laettner? Sorry, I was on a beverage break and missed it.

Laettner was voted into the NCAA College Hall of Fame. They said that Laettner is extremely happy and very honored.

KShip21
02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
No in-game thread or chat tonight? Could use one right now with the nonsense that's going on

ChrisP
02-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I guess it's legal now to bump guys off stride and hack them repeatedly in the lane? Tulsa's playing great D but also getting away with a LOT of contact near the rim.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
No in-game thread or chat tonight? Could use one right now with the nonsense that's going on

Agreed. I thought this was a game where we would be lights out!

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess it's legal now to bump guys off stride and hack them repeatedly in the lane? Tulsa's playing great D but also getting away with a LOT of contact near the rim.

This game is VERY physical. Our guys need to shot fake and get the defender in the air, and then go up to draw the foul. We are trying to shoot off the penetration and that's not working.

Son of Mojo
02-25-2010, 07:54 PM
It's been a little too physical inside and we're still having trouble hitting shots. That needs to get better.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 07:54 PM
The refs are allowing a ton of body contact both ways. This game is probably going to get quite ugly in the second half. Luckily for us, Duke seems to always find a way to pull out these ugly games. I don't think we can afford to put Kelly in anymore this game though. He just doesn't have the bulk to be banging with them down low.

jv001
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
This game is VERY physical. Our guys need to shot fake and get the defender in the air, and then go up to draw the foul. We are trying to shoot off the penetration and that's not working.

Was going to say the same thing. The way the game is being played, we can't make these kind of shots. Well maybe Kyle can make some or get fouled, but not our guards. Good to see the frosh get some early mins. Tulsa is very physical and can hold their own in this type of game. We need to hit our 3s in the 2nd half and that will open up the middle somewhat. Go Duke!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
It's been a little too physical inside and we're still having trouble hitting shots. That needs to get better.

Yeah, the poor shooting is sadly becoming the norm for us. 31% here in the 1st half and 25% from 3pt line. At home against an average team, not good at all. Zoubek has been very active which is great, but collectively, we just need to start shooting better.

Saratoga2
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Zoubek is continuing his solid play, and Singler is terrific. Again, both Scheyer and Smith are shooting at a low percentage. Thomas is putting out a lot of effort and is particularly suited to this kind of game. It is physical out there and not many calls considering the play.

We need the Plumlees to give more on both ends.

moonpie23
02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
another klunky start........i don't know WTF has happend to jon's inside game....he is getting the looks and just missing the easiest of shots..

CALLING MASON PLUMLLEEEEE CALLING MASON PLUMLEEE....

Zoubs needs a little rest.......

jv001
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Zoubs...6 pts, 8 rebs in first half. Kyle 10 pts and a lot of sweat. May need some rest. Ok Jon and Nolan time to pick it up. Go Duke!

DukeGirl4ever
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
another klunky start........i don't know WTF has happend to jon's inside game....he is getting the looks and just missing the easiest of shots..

Two things I think...1) He's expecting to get fouled.
2.) I think sometimes he just throws it up there knowing the big guys can offensive rebound and put it back up.

cptnflash
02-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Unlikely that we'll shoot as poorly in the 2nd half, and otherwise we're outplaying them in every meaningful area (as we should be). Still think we win by double digits.

superdave
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
My only two reactions to the first have are Tulsa is playing great D and they are out-hustling us.

We got a lot of minutes out of Kelly/Dawkins/Mason/Miles but little production. These guys need to step it up.

cptnflash
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Zoubek is continuing his solid play, and Singler is terrific. Again, both Scheyer and Smith are shooting at a low percentage. Thomas is putting out a lot of effort and is particularly suited to this kind of game. It is physical out there and not many calls considering the play.

We need the Plumlees to give more on both ends.

Totally agree... once again they're both invisible.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Apparently without warning the refs have now decided the body blows are fouls. We may be in for a lot of FT attempts.

TNDukeFan
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
A nice stretch by the Devils to extend the lead.

FireOgilvie
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
These announcers are absolutely miserable.

I really really like how hard Zoubek and Lance are playing today. Great intensity.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Tulsa coach was right. That was a terrible non call. These refs are having an off night to say the least.

91devil
02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that was a brutally missed foul call. I'd be a bit angry, too.

superdave
02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I enjoyed Lenny Elmore declaring Wojick's justification for the tech there. The replay clearly showed the Tulsa guy jumpy into LT's chest though. At least Lenny has praized Zoubek tonight.

Duvall
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing Elmore. Tulsa hacks the shooter on a dozen drives tonight, and it's physical play; the refs swallow the whistle on a Tulsa shot, and ESPN will spend the next three days complaining about that goddamn call.

dukebluelemur
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
... but its "eeggzelent defense" when Jon gets mugged under the basket...

Duvall
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Great, now Mason will be hacking on every trip.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Haha! Mason pulls his patented reach in and it actually works for the steal this time! He knew it was coming eventually! :)

superdave
02-25-2010, 08:31 PM

That may be the first reach in that has paid off for Mason this year!

davekay1971
02-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Taking control, thank goodness. Tulsa is a really big team, and I think that bothered us in the first half.

Zoubek is just a different player than he was three weeks ago. I hope this Zoubek stays around for another five weeks or so.

Miles Plumlee is playing as well as I've seen in awhile. Nice jump hook, playing with a little confidence inside.

And now for a little rubbing of the lucky rabbits foot: make some shots Dawkins, make some shots Dawkins, make some shots Dawkins...

Cockabeau
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM

I don't know why this made me LMAO.

Cockabeau
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Does Mike Patrick have a bottle of Ole grandad in his pocket?

What a boozer

Cockabeau
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
The Elmore index is moronic

Hermy-own
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Great defense by the Plumlees on about 5-8 possesions in a row. A number of blocks, steals, and coming up with loose balls. Also some Off rebs. I also missed the first half, when I hear they played badly.

Oh, and why do Smith and Scheyer have such bad shooting percentages?

WiJoe
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
The Elmore index is moronic

Why?

Cockabeau
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Because Ohio State is a terrible team and he listed Evan Turner up there w/ John Wall.

Are you kidding me?

Duvall
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Because Ohio State is a terrible team and he listed Evan Turner up there w/ John Wall.

Are you kidding me?

Ohio State is a very good team, and Evan Turner is having a better year than Wall.

superdave
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Why?

Ha. It looks like he made it up yesterday. I'd love to hear what the real stats guys had to say about it. They probably wouldnt bother to comment.

It's pretty comical - he just weights things differently. Shouldnt he at least subtract for turnovers, missed free throws, fouls and being a Terp?

Maybe he could multiply by the player's uniform #. Or by height.

Ping Lin
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Are you kidding me?

Without John Wall, Kentucky would probably still be a tournament team.

Without Turner, I'm not sure Ohio State would even make the NIT.

FireOgilvie
02-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Are you kidding me?

It makes sense this year, but it's sad that a guy averaging 16 pts/game is even considered for NPOY.

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Nice win for Duke tonight. Glad we were able to get the role players/young guys some minutes. They all seemed to handle it reasonably well. I particularly liked Dre's improved defense. He has come a long way in this regard.

superdave
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Why the Our House chant up 18 vs Tulsa?