View Full Version : Did You See ...?

mr. synellinden
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Baron Davis's dunk over Kirilenko?

If not, make sure you find it on youtube. It redefines the term

POSTERIZED

kydevil
05-12-2007, 12:49 AM
You beat me to it, the dunk was amazing. Baron Davis must have caught the "AK 47" while he was reloading :D
Im sure it will be on youtube within hours!

smittendevil
05-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Just saw it on ESPN.com's video highlight ... NASTY NASTY :eek: :eek: :eek:

cspan37421
05-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Dunks can be artistically impressive, but they're still only worth two points. That's what I emphasize to my basketball-crazy 8-yr-old boy who otherwise would value them more than learning the fundamentals.

freedevil
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
^ Normally I'd agree with you. But that was unbelievable.

Ralph-Wiggum
05-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Dunks can be artistically impressive, but they're still only worth two points.

Actually, Davis got fouled so this one was worth 3 points. ;)

Skitzle
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Perhaps I'm a huge stats geek, but given the higher field goal percentage of the dunk. Couldn't you say that dunks have a higher expected value then regular jump shots and in that regard are worth pursuing at every opportunity.

and they look awesome

ikiru36
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Dunks can be artistically impressive, but they're still only worth two points. That's what I emphasize to my basketball-crazy 8-yr-old boy who otherwise would value them more than learning the fundamentals.

Well, he did draw the foul too, so in this case it was potentially worth 3! (though I absolutely agree with your point in general- makes me also think of people viciously blocking the ball... out of bounds)

BTW, I was there and however awesome it seemed on TV, it was 10 times as sick in person. They replayed it on the jumbotron, like 20 times, from lotsa different angles and each time, as he slammed it, you could feel the crowd getting a bit more amped. People were just hugging those around them, high-fiving strangers. It was beautiful. Almost like Cameron during a run against Carolina. Wow!

One other Duke related thought which brings me both joy and sadness when I think about it... the player who I always most saw in the Baron Davis mold was J Will. The strength and body control. The deceptive quickness, partly due to looking kinda stocky. The frequent killer instinct and boundless confidence when in the zone. The streaky but deadly 3 point shooter who was only decent at the free throw line. The mixture of swagger and sweet soul. (and some people may read Davis as some kind of jerk for his boisterousness at times, but he is a good bloke if you watch him consistently. He is so frequently a positive, supportive, smiling source for this Warriors team and even when he plays the scowling or joyous fool in given moments, he's always shaking hands, smiling, cracking jokes with the opposing players and refs and they all seem to get along. I loved that he went over to D. Fisher (who left the Warriors after last year for more PT) at the first stoppage on Wednesday night to shake his hand and check on his daughter. Just saying that I think he may get a bad rap from some quarters, but dude is special (especially when even modestly healthy).

Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!! Go J Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!

Truth
05-12-2007, 01:46 PM

If your 8-year-old boy is already throwing down dunks, be sure to get a video of this kid Duke's recruiting office ASAP! ;-)

darthur
05-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Yes... although in the games at Golden State, both Dallas and Utah have looked shell-shocked - they really, truly looked intimidated. There's nothing like a dunk by your point guard over one of the league's best shot blockers to cement that.

I will say, however, that in a perfect world, I think Davis should have been called for an offensive foul. The real secret behind his dunk, which was pretty clear on 1 or 2 of the tv replays, was that the entire way up, he had his off-hand literally in kirilenko's face pushing him away. However, with a dunk like that, you just aren't going to get called for that kind of foul in the NBA.

Lord Ash
05-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Anyone have a youtube link? I couldn't find it.

darthur
05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Anyone have a youtube link? I couldn't find it.

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/12/baron-davis-monster-dunk-on-andre-kirilenko/

ikiru36
05-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Yes... although in the games at Golden State, both Dallas and Utah have looked shell-shocked - they really, truly looked intimidated. There's nothing like a dunk by your point guard over one of the league's best shot blockers to cement that.

I will say, however, that in a perfect world, I think Davis should have been called for an offensive foul. The real secret behind his dunk, which was pretty clear on 1 or 2 of the tv replays, was that the entire way up, he had his off-hand literally in kirilenko's face pushing him away. However, with a dunk like that, you just aren't going to get called for that kind of foul in the NBA.

Without seeing exactly what rule you'd say he broke, the forearm/hand against Kirilenko's face seemed less evidence of an offensive foul and moreso, evidence of how close he dunked on Kirilenko. If his arm were extended or if he was clearly pushing him away I might buy an offensive foul but Kirilenko was pretty much under the basket and he arrived and jumped, creating body contact, as Davis was already leaving the ground.

Now, had there been no foul called, I could accept that since they often don't call fouls, despite contact, on successful dunks so long as the defender went straight up from under the basket.

As one aside, mad props to Kirilenko's own reaction both in the moment and after the game. While Baron's arm was against his face/neck, there clearly wasn't much force on his part as Baron is pretty strong, yet Kirilenko's own jump motion seemed to proceed without hinderance. (just talking physics, to whatever extent Davis "boosted" himself off Kirilenko, it would be obvious in its opposing effect on Kirilenko's motion-plus, believe me, Baron can complete that dunk without any special assist). And after the game Kirilenko was very cool, stating "I think I was late on the help. That's why I got dunked on. At least I got on the poster."

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_Gary
05-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Davis uses his off arm to ward off defenders all the time. What galls me so much in watching this series is that Baron Davis, one of the most physical guards in the league, is never in serious foul trouble. And to make matters worse, it seems as if the officials have decided that any and all guards on the opposite side of the court with Baron must be in foul trouble. The early fouls on Williams and Fisher completely changed the complexion of the game and allowed the Warriors to pull away. As you can probably tell, I'm rooting hard for Utah in this series. Sorry, but I just can't stand the Warriors. Unless G.S. continues to shoot out of their mind I still think the Jazz will prevail.

Gary

cspan37421
05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Perhaps I'm a huge stats geek, but given the higher field goal percentage of the dunk. Couldn't you say that dunks have a higher expected value then regular jump shots and in that regard are worth pursuing at every opportunity.

and they look awesome

I agree. I was referring not to the fundamentals of jump shooting, but of dribbling, passing, moving without the ball, setting screens, and one particular shot that might have a higher percentage success rate than the dunk: the garden-variety layup.

And I only brought it up b/c he talks and asks about dunks so much, I feel like he puts the cart before the horse. It does look awesome and he knows it, but he should also know that all the dunking ability in the world hasn't brought Vince Carter to the NBA finals. Fortunately his hero is Steve Nash so he's got a pretty good role model there (offensively anyway - 'cept for first half tonight).

cspan37421
05-12-2007, 10:37 PM
If your 8-year-old boy is already throwing down dunks, be sure to get a video of this kid Duke's recruiting office ASAP! ;-)

I wish! No, correct that. HE wishes. :)

Partly b/c he plays on an 8 foot net (as did his YMCA team), and dad can dunk on that - so he's jealous. I have to admit - it is fun to do once in awhile. And it's also fun to see him work on his crossover dribble when we play. It's rudimentary, but he's gradually learning various ways to get by me when we play 1 on 1. I never played on a team at any level so it won't be long before he passes me up.

Sadly they can't teach height and he's on pace to be no more than 6' 1", like dad.