PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Virginia Tech

Jumbo
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia Tech?

pfrduke
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia Tech?

Brian "offensive rebound" Zoubek.

Jumbo
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Brian "offensive rebound" Zoubek.

I actually went with Nolan. Zoubs was HUGE on the offensive glass. But Nolan locked down on Delaney in the first half (until foul trouble forced him to switch men) and hit some big-time shots down the stretch.

RoyalBlue08
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I think it was close between Brian and Nolan, but I gave it to Z mostly because of how poorly the Plumlee's are playing all of a sudden....thank God Z has been there to pick up the slack.

geraldsneighbor
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I went with Z but Kyle's double-double can't go unnoticed. Anytime you shoot below 30 percent and win credit has to go to the rebounders. Brian, thank you so much. 23-4 sounds good... really good.

loldevilz
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
first time I was completely satisfied by Nolan Smith's play

jipops
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Zoubek with Rodman-esque effort, but I'm going with Kyle on this one.

slower
02-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Better late than never, big man! Well done!! Giving it to Z for the emotional lift.

Newton_14
02-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Forget points. That game was turned by the big fella with great rebounding and great defense. Zoubs saved the day and came up big when it was going wrong.

Way to go Zoubs, with 16 boards you are the Man Of The Match!

Honorable Mention to Nolan for knocking in the dagger 3 after the words with Hudson. Shut him up with your game Nolan! Nice answer that was!!

loran16
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I actually went with Nolan. Zoubs was HUGE on the offensive glass. But Nolan locked down on Delaney in the first half (until foul trouble forced him to switch men) and hit some big-time shots down the stretch.

Eh, but we wouldn't have kept up with them still even with Nolan's D if it wasn't for Zoo's boarding.

DukeGirl4ever
I only got to see the 2nd half (after having to chaperone a rec party with 8th graders :() and from what I saw, Duke went on their run when Zoubek hit the 3-point play...that seemed to ignite them.

I think he is the X-Factor the Devils...he can take them far if he plays like this!

mgtr
Nolan and Kyle were great, but no Zoubs, no win.

mapei
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM
BZ for me. Agree that the big 3 all made clutch plays, especially KS, but BZ had the wow factor.

Bob Green
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I went with Zoubek. His work on the boards was awesome! He has really asserted himself the past few games. I'm listening to Coach K's postgame comments right now and K commented that Zoubek's three point play was huge and his rebounding.

OldSchool
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
All of our veterans played great, all were difference-makers.

As the backbone of the team, Kyle was excellent, he was MOTM.

Zoubs fighting for every rebound, got us lots of second and third shots when nothing was falling, and in a game with a lot of fouls managed to play smart and avoid fouling out.

Nolan was clutch, and came up big drawing fouls and sinking FTs. Clearly K has tapped Nolan as our go-to guy in late game situations.

Jon - Even with a not-great shooting night, he had 7 assists, only 2 TOs and hit a couple of timely 3s.

Lance - outstanding on defense, the VT big men especially Jeff Allen were kept under control.

Saratoga2
02-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I voted for Zoubek but also felt Singler had a heck of a game. It could have gone either way.

camion
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Zoubs got us extra possessions when we really needed them. He was head and shoulders above the other players in the second half.

Delaware
02-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I went with Iron man Singler.... 40 minutes, 25 and 10 for the double-double, only one close to 50% shooting, strong defense, toughness, two steals, no turnovers, the nasty block, etc...

Bluedevil114
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
It is great watching Zoubek hussle, diving on the ground and drawing offensive fouls this year. He has been a force down low and his rebounding is strong. Thank you Brian for stepping up over this four game stretch.

BDevilU
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Zou's Your Daddy!

jv001
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Voted for Kyle..25 pts, 10 rebounds and all over the court. Could have been Nolan or Zoubs. We don't win without any of those 3 tonight. Go Duke!

tele
02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Singler, double double, leading scorer, good d, plus a really nice block of a dunk. The big guy also played a great game, no question.

DukieInBrasil
02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
No Z, no win. Pretty simple.
All of Kyle, Nolan and Jon did important and gritty work, but Z's Oboards gave back lots of opportunities to score. Kyle actually had a superb game, one of his better games in a while. Jon continues to not have a good shooting stroke but he was able to find people for scores, heady play.

BlueintheFace
02-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I so badly want to go with Zou... or Nolan for hitting that dagger and playing awesome D on delaney early, but Kyle with 25 and 10 got my vote. He hit some of the biggest shots of the game with that offensive rebound and putback along with the baseline drive. Those baskets came when we needed them a lot.

marinbobbyduhon
02-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I went with Iron man Singler.... 40 minutes, 25 and 10 for the double-double, only one close to 50% shooting, strong defense, toughness, two steals, no turnovers, the nasty block, etc...

Exactly why I voted for Kyle as the MOTM. But Zoubs is 1A for me. His contributions are much greater than Stats reveal. It's his heart and his hustle that impress me the most.

Jarhead
02-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I went with Iron man Singler.... 40 minutes, 25 and 10 for the double-double, only one close to 50% shooting, strong defense, toughness, two steals, no turnovers, the nasty block, etc... I thought of that before I voted, but I couldn't get past BZ's 8 offensive boards. Most of the stats were pretty close in this game. Rebounds weren't and Brian gave us eight extra possessions which explains, in part, our 12 point victory.

NSDukeFan
02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I so badly want to go with Zou... or Nolan for hitting that dagger and playing awesome D on delaney early, but Kyle with 25 and 10 got my vote. He hit some of the biggest shots of the game with that offensive rebound and putback along with the baseline drive. Those baskets came when we needed them a lot.

I am such a big fan of Zoubs and love seeing him do well and he was a monster today, but to seem unbiased I went with Kyle, who also had a fantastic game.

CameronBlue
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Yes, right and fine. I'm all with the Zoubs man-crush thing that is sweeping the board at the moment, love me some Zoubs, but Kyle is the obvious choice tonight IMO.

TNTDevil
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Scheyer.

Starting to see flashes of Bobby Hurley in Jon. Especially his ability to hit the timely shot.

CLW
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Z saved our poor shooting effort with so..... many offensive rebounds which led to extra possessions and points it was silly. The kid hardly ever gets the ball in the post but he just kept working setting screens doing the dirty work and hitting the glass. Z has earned his starting roll with this club.

CameronBornAndBred
02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm all with the Zoubs man-crush thing that is sweeping the board at the moment, love me some Zoubs, but Kyle is the obvious choice tonight IMO.
Brian once again stepped up huge...but I'm with you on Kyle. He had the all around best game, no debate.

Kedsy
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
This is the second straight game where Kyle looked like an All-American. His confidence is sky high right now. He's a completely different player than a few weeks ago.

But I voted for Z. Fully half of his boards were pure effort. Most big men would have settled for 8 or 10 rebounds in this game, but despite VaTech putting solid bodies on him, Z just fought and worked harder and ended up with 16. He's finally figured out that if he wants the ball, he's big enough and strong enough to go out and get it.

DukeDevilDeb
02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
first time I was completely satisfied by Nolan Smith's play

Including the pass that he threw out of bounds that could have been really disastrous?

ACCBBallFan
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Relative to expectations, Zoubek again but from a pure overall metrics, Singler and not even close. Solid 29 minutes from Z with ony 3 fouls.

The three frosh and the Soph did nothing and that is a concern as season progresses.

Rating Player/team
91 Kyle Singler, F

67 Nolan Smith, G
61 Jon Scheyer, G

59 Malcolm Delaney, G
56 Dorenzo Hudson, G
55 TOTALS-Duke

48 Brian Zoubek, C

39 TOTALS-VA Tech
37 Terrell Bell, G-F
35 Victor Davila, F
32 Jeff Allen, F
31 Lance Thomas, F

26 Jt Thompson, NA

15 Erick Green, G
15 Cadarian Raines, F

08 Miles Plumlee, F
07 Lewis Witcher, F
04 Ben Boggs, G
03 Andre Dawkins, G
03 Ryan Kelly, F
02 Mason Plumlee, F

BobbyFan
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Strong games by Nolan and Z, but Kyle was the best player on the floor tonight.

buddy
02-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Really hard, because Nolan, Kyle, and Jon all made big shots when we needed them, and played great defense, but the team was a different team when Zoubek was on the floor. He was a MAN on the boards.

GODUKEGO
02-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Was at the game and Zoub's offense rebound and put back with the foul and hitting the free throw was the play!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Kyle was a true warrior tonight, but Zoubek was an absolute beast! The determination and hustle for many of his rebounds, after he had his 3rd foul, was inspiring. And he absolutely refused to come out after he banged his knee (?) when he went down tangled with Delaney midway through the second half. In fact, I'm pretty sure he played the entire rest of the game without coming out. His one bucket (and one) was the turning point of the game, putting us back up by 5 at 52-47. I will fondly remember this game as "The Zoubek game". If it weren't for Brian, we wouldn't have won tonight.

Zoub's for MOTM, Kyle for BOTM. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1600

BlueintheFace
02-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Including the pass that he threw out of bounds that could have been really disastrous?

Okay, I don't think Nolan exactly had a flawless game, but what the heck was with Jon on that play? It wasn't a great pass, but it was like Jon's feet got stuck in molasses there. It probably should not have been a turnover.

ice-9
02-22-2010, 04:10 AM
Z's rebounds were essential in a game where we had poor shooting night.

Singler posted yet another excellent all-rounded game.

Nolan's defense on Delaney was exceptional.

But in the end I voted for Lance, in one part because he probably won't get any votes, but another on his big impact on the game. For two games in a row Lance posted amazing +/- numbers.

So Lance, some love for you! :cool:

91_92_01_10_15
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
But in the end I voted for Lance, in one part because he probably won't get any votes, but another on his big impact on the game. For two games in a row Lance posted amazing +/- numbers.

So Lance, some love for you! :cool:

Has Lance's value to this team ever been more apparent? Jeff Allen, got him. Need me to switch to guard the point, no prob.

Way to go, Lance. Way to go, team.

78Devil
02-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I waited to watch the replay before voting. Kyle did his usual quiet assassin job -- actually even better than usual in some ways which made me want to vote for him since he hasn't gotten many of these this year despite being a critical player for us. But we were shooting so poorly that -- without Z's rebounds -- we lose. That made me vote for Zoubek as MOTM.

devildeac
02-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Kyle was a warrior.
Zoubek is an animal. (sign in CIS last PM)
Nolan had some big buckets.
Jon worked extremely hard and played really good D on Delaney (5/19?) with a lotta help, too.

Son of Mojo
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Gave my vote to Kyle but Zooooooooooooooub almost got my vote. Love the way he's playing right now.

flyingdutchdevil
02-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Jon worked extremely hard and played really good D on Delaney (5/19?) with a lotta help, too.

Umm...wasn't that Nolan's responsibility for the majority of the game?

Also, surprised that Nolan didn't get more votes. His clutch scoring towards the end was the key. Zoubs had another great game and Kyle is finally coming into his own, but Nolan has the key to the win on both offense and defense.

devildeac
02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Umm...wasn't that Nolan's responsibility for the majority of the game?

Also, surprised that Nolan didn't get more votes. His clutch scoring towards the end was the key. Zoubs had another great game and Kyle is finally coming into his own, but Nolan has the key to the win on both offense and defense.

Not really. There were obviously a lot of switches but Jon had the primary responsibility many times and fought through a lot of hips, arms and elbows to stay with him. Nolan matched up a bit better with his quickness and Lance gave him some problems with his height/length but I watched this specifically on multiple vt possessions and Jon had the assignment.

CDu
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Not really. There were obviously a lot of switches but Jon had the primary responsibility many times and fought through a lot of hips, arms and elbows to stay with him. Nolan matched up a bit better with his quickness and Lance gave him some problems with his height/length but I watched this specifically on multiple vt possessions and Jon had the assignment.

I'd say that Scheyer had the responsibility man times, but Smith had the primary responsibility. The role switched a number of times (generally due to foul trouble). But Smith had the responsibility to start the game and for much of the first half. When Smith got in some foul trouble, Scheyer took over the role for a while. In the second half, it was handled jointly between Smith, Scheyer, Singler and (very rarely) Thomas.

elvis14
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM

I went with Nolan as well. Note that's me being positive on Nolan not being negative on Kyle or Z or Jon all of whom played great. A true team effort. When Nolan picked up his 3rd foul and switched off of Delaney, Delaney's scoring picked up.

Honorable Mention to Nolan for knocking in the dagger 3 after the words with Hudson. Shut him up with your game Nolan! Nice answer that was!!

MOTM for me was earned by Nolan when he didn't back down to Hudson, didn't retaliate when Hudson pushed Nolan's face (note if a Duke player had done that it would have been a T and would have been all over 'center) and then let his 3 do the talking. Game over, have a nice trip home right there....talk some more....I'll hit another! Way to stand your ground know where to draw the line Nolan!

Zou's Your Daddy!

I just had to quote that...hilarious. I bet Shane Battier had to LOL at that one!

Scheyer.

Starting to see flashes of Bobby Hurley in Jon. Especially his ability to hit the timely shot.

That was one of my favorite things about Bobby Hurley (he's the reason I became a Duke fan, BTW). His 3pt shooting percentage wasn't great but when we needed a dagger or to change the flow of the game he was money. I see this in Jon as well and I'm lovin' it.

Battierfan01
02-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Zoubs just gave us sooooooo many 2nd chances will all those offensive rebounds. :)