PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Maryland 76, Georgia Tech 74

Olympic Fan
02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Wow!

Was anybody else watching that? Great game all the way -- Maryland's biggest lead was six, Ga Tech's biggest lead was five.

Four lead changes in the final 50 seconds -- Favors (who has a monster game ... I think 21 points and 19 rebounds) hit a follow shot with 3.0 seconds left to put Tech up one.

Then it gets crazy.

Maryland inbounds and pushes the ball upcourt. Vasquez launches a shot from midcourt that backs in off the backboard for the win ... only it turns out that Gary called timeout before the shot, so it doesn't count.

Maryland gets the ball at midcourt with 1.5 seconds left, down one. They inbounds to Tucker on the left wing, just outside the 3-point line. Rice is in his face, but he's careful not to foul and Tucker goes up and nails the 3-pointer just before the buzzer.

Maryland wins.

Don't think this hurts the Jackets that badly -- a strong performance on the road against a very tough opponent. Just a great ACC basketball game.

CBDUKE
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
The officials put too much time on the clock. The announcers were saying about 1.2 and I think they were right.

3rd Dukie
02-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I was watching as well.
I was laughing like mad when the half court shot didn't count because of Gary's calling a timeout. I would have loved to see the Jackets win, but it was still one helluva game!

HateCarolina
02-20-2010, 04:30 PM
The officials put too much time on the clock. The announcers were saying about 1.2 and I think they were right.

I agree as well, but still one hell of a good finish in this one.

ivydevil
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Poor Tech. They sort of lost that game twice.

Smitty1911
02-20-2010, 06:16 PM

He still got it off within 1.2 seconds. I watched the replay to see if the extra time made a difference. It didn't. Oh well, I was really hoping for a miserable drive home for the 2nd worst fans in college basketball. Great game though. I wonder how the MD-Duke game would've played out if they shot as well as they did today.

Bluedevil114
02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Living in Maryland is tough after three straight wins for the Terps. I love when they lose because their fans cry more than any other fanbase I have seen. They use every excuse in the book and I was hoping to hear some crying after that game. Oh well they always lose to Clemson and then I will be at the Duke game where I am usually one of a few that leave there every year happy.

GO DUKE!!

NDMD
02-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Living in Maryland is tough after three straight wins for the Terps. I love when they lose because their fans cry more than any other fanbase I have seen. They use every excuse in the book and I was hoping to hear some crying after that game. Oh well they always lose to Clemson and then I will be at the Duke game where I am usually one of a few that leave there every year happy.

GO DUKE!!

Huh?

Duke is .500 since '02 playing at Maryland.

Duvall
02-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Huh?

Duke is .500 since '02 playing at Maryland.

He means three straight wins by Maryland since they played Duke last week.

NDMD
02-20-2010, 07:08 PM
He means three straight wins by Maryland since they played Duke last week.

He claims he leaves Maryland every year happy.

Oh well.........

Bluedevil114
02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
He claims he leaves Maryland every year happy.

Oh well.........

Wow!! So literal huh? I have lived in Maryland for 36 years so I have been to a lot of games at both Comcast Center and Cole Field House. Our overall record against Maryland is 107-60. Sorry I said EVERY, I should have said I hate the Terps and love leaving their campus with another win.

GO DUKE!!

NDMD
02-21-2010, 02:17 AM
I should have said I hate the Terps.

GO DUKE!!

Just remember, Maryland is not your rival.

btw, why is it that so many Duke alumni find their way to the Baltimore-Washington metro area? Are things that tough in Durham?

-jk
02-21-2010, 08:39 AM

btw, why is it that so many Duke alumni find their way to the Baltimore-Washington metro area? Are things that tough in Durham?

Silly! Durham is fine, but DC has all the power and money. (And NYC has the rest, and isn't that where the rest of Duke grads are?)

You've heard the cheer: "That's all right! That's OK! You're gonna work for us one day!"

;)

-jk

jgehtland
02-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Just an FYI -- Durham has had no drop off in employment, housing prices have held steady, commercial residency is up year over year the last three years, wages are rising, and downtown is booming. Durham is doing great. For a small city in North Carolina. Got enough self-image problems that you have to compare your metropolis to our little slice of heaven? Have at! I love me some DC! For a visit......

sagegrouse
02-21-2010, 09:19 AM

It's a lot different now than 30-40 years ago. Except for the students pursuing graduate and professonal schools, almost everyone seems to end up in a big city: New York, Washington, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco or LA.

And, of course, Duke students aren't typically from Durham -- or NC either for that matter. And the rumor that 75% of Duke students hail from NJ is a bit overblown. :rolleyes:

sagegrouse

Troublemaker
02-21-2010, 11:40 AM
This was a great ACC game to watch with a great ending. What surprised me when I turned on the game was that I ended up rooting for Maryland. Standings-wise, I should've been rooting for GT but I just really like this group of Maryland players, yes, including Vasquez. They're similar to Duke in that they're a team loaded with veterans who aren't that talented but have been around for a while, play smart and fundamental basketball, and have nice chemistry. I think I'll continue rooting for them, until the game in College Park, of course.

Morris614
02-21-2010, 02:18 PM

GO DUKE!!

Though I have never lived in Maryland I find it hard to believe a fan base that cries more than BYU.