PDA

View Full Version : The advantages of finishing first

Olympic Fan
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Duke has a chance to open a big lead over its closest pursuers in the ACC regular season race by beating Virginia Tech in Cameron Sunday night. With three games left, the Devils would be in a commanding position to win the ACC regular season title.

I think this is a big deal because:

(1) Duh! It's a championship. Maybe not the official ACC championship (that's the ACC Tournament winner), but the league does recognize the first place finisher as "ACC regular season champion" and authorizes the school to hang a banner.

(2) It should make a huge difference in Duke's quarterfinal opponent in the ACC Tournament.

Bear with me on this one -- the No. 1 seed will play the winner of Thursday's No. 8 vs. No. 9 game. Who do you think that will be? Well, going into today's games, the middle of the league looks like this:

5. Florida State 7-5
6. Clemson 6-5
7. Georgia Tech 6-6
8. Virginia 5-6
9. (tie) UNC 3-8
Boston College 3-8
11. Miami 3-9

Although it looks close between Virginia and the teams just above them, I really doubt that the Cavs catch FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech. They've lost four straight in the ACC and they finish up at Clemson (today), at Miami and Duke at home, at Boston College and Maryland at home.

No way in creation that UNC, BC or Miami pass FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech.

That means that the Friday opponent for the No. 1 seed is almost certainly going to be Virginia, Miami, BC or North Carolina. Finish No. 2 or No. 3 and you're probably going to open with FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech (which ought to win their first-round games with the bottom dregs of the conference).

I don't know about you, but while there are no sure things in the ACC, I'd much prefer to open with one of the Virginia, UNC, BC, Miami combo than either FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech. I see seven strong teams in the ACC -- seven NCAA teams -- and then a drop off to the 8-9 teams.

Plus, there's an added bonus of getting a third shot at a pitiful UNC team. I think that if UNC finishes 10-11-12, they lose their first-round game to whichever one of Ga Tech, FSU or Clemson that gets them on Thursday. But I think if they finish No. 9, they might be able to beat Virginia in Greensboro.

That would give Duke a chance to consign them to the NIT or maybe the CBI ... or maybe into offseason oblivion. At any rate, you can't beat UNC too often and to my mind, this is Duke's best chance to kick them again while they're down. In fact, if they do made the 8-9 game against Virginia, I would actually pull for Carolina to win, so that we could have the pleasure of finishing them off.

blueprofessor
02-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Duke has a chance to open a big lead over its closest pursuers in the ACC regular season race by beating Virginia Tech in Cameron Sunday night. With three games left, the Devils would be in a commanding position to win the ACC regular season title.

I think this is a big deal because:

(1) Duh! It's a championship. Maybe not the official ACC championship (that's the ACC Tournament winner), but the league does recognize the first place finisher as "ACC regular season champion" and authorizes the school to hang a banner.

(2) It should make a huge difference in Duke's quarterfinal opponent in the ACC Tournament.

Bear with me on this one -- the No. 1 seed will play the winner of Thursday's No. 8 vs. No. 9 game. Who do you think that will be? Well, going into today's games, the middle of the league looks like this:

5. Florida State 7-5
6. Clemson 6-5
7. Georgia Tech 6-6
8. Virginia 5-6
9. (tie) UNC 3-8
Boston College 3-8
11. Miami 3-9

Although it looks close between Virginia and the teams just above them, I really doubt that the Cavs catch FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech. They've lost four straight in the ACC and they finish up at Clemson (today), at Miami and Duke at home, at Boston College and Maryland at home.

No way in creation that UNC, BC or Miami pass FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech.

That means that the Friday opponent for the No. 1 seed is almost certainly going to be Virginia, Miami, BC or North Carolina. Finish No. 2 or No. 3 and you're probably going to open with FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech (which ought to win their first-round games with the bottom dregs of the conference).

I don't know about you, but while there are no sure things in the ACC, I'd much prefer to open with one of the Virginia, UNC, BC, Miami combo than either FSU, Clemson or Georgia Tech. I see seven strong teams in the ACC -- seven NCAA teams -- and then a drop off to the 8-9 teams.

Plus, there's an added bonus of getting a third shot at a pitiful UNC team. I think that if UNC finishes 10-11-12, they lose their first-round game to whichever one of Ga Tech, FSU or Clemson that gets them on Thursday. But I think if they finish No. 9, they might be able to beat Virginia in Greensboro.

That would give Duke a chance to consign them to the NIT or maybe the CBI ... or maybe into offseason oblivion. At any rate, you can't beat UNC too often and to my mind, this is Duke's best chance to kick them again while they're down. In fact, if they do made the 8-9 game against Virginia, I would actually pull for Carolina to win, so that we could have the pleasure of finishing them off.

Olympic Fan, I like your cold-blooded analysis, Napoleonic.:D And I don't believe you think we will fail to win the tourney! Neither do I.Still, I want no opening with Ga Tech or FSU.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

gofurman
02-20-2010, 11:34 AM
agreed - I want unc.. I can't believe I am saying that.

I want no part of an extra GT or FSU type - they got the horses

Grey Devil
02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
agreed - I want unc.. I can't believe I am saying that.

I want no part of an extra GT or FSU type - they got the horses

I agree! I would love to beat Carolina three times in one season. (I know I'm counting chickens early here, but I don't see them beating us in Cameron this year.)

Grey Devil

78Devil
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
To me, the biggest advantage of finishing first in the regular season ACC standings is the likely lock on a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Considering how closely bunched the ACC is, and how exhausting the ACC tournament can be, I think there is potential for an upset in the ACC tournament no matter who we play and whether we are a 1 or 2 seed there. But if we win the ACC regular season, I suspect we will be a 2 seed in the NCAAs, even if we get upset in the tournament.

Kedsy
02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
In fact, if they do made the 8-9 game against Virginia, I would actually pull for Carolina to win, so that we could have the pleasure of finishing them off.

I was totally with you until you said this. Sorry, can't root for the Heels.

cptnflash
02-20-2010, 02:54 PM
To me, the biggest advantage of finishing first in the regular season ACC standings is the likely lock on a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Considering how closely bunched the ACC is, and how exhausting the ACC tournament can be, I think there is potential for an upset in the ACC tournament no matter who we play and whether we are a 1 or 2 seed there. But if we win the ACC regular season, I suspect we will be a 2 seed in the NCAAs, even if we get upset in the tournament.

Totally agree, this is the best reason to win the regular season. Anything can happen in the ACC tournament, particularly since we'll be playing three straight games against teams that have more at stake than we do in terms of making the NCAA field and seeding.

Really need Maryland to lose one more game before we play them on March 3, so they don't have the added motivation of playing us for a share of first place in conference. No other threats remain besides Maryland.

oldnavy
02-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Yea, me either. I have actually tried before and it just didn't work. I honestly believe that if UNC was playing a group of GITMO detainees, that I would pull for the detainees. I know that is pretty sick, but... I just can't help it.

HateCarolina
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Yea, me either. I have actually tried before and it just didn't work. I honestly believe that if UNC was playing a group of GITMO detainees, that I would pull for the detainees. I know that is pretty sick, but... I just can't help it.

I could not agree with you both more...I can hear it now..."Come on detainees, come on...Beat those Tarholes!!!"

With that said I do NOT want to play the Holes again in the ACC tourney. While I like our chances to beat them when they're down I just don't think my heart/stomach can handle it.

Go Blue Devils!!!

moonpie23
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
if we beat them at cameron, and don't see them in the tourny, i'm fine with that......i would hate to have them put together one of "those" games and put a stink on us heading into the ncaa...

i'm not greedy....let some other team take em out.......maybe state...

BD80
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM
... In fact, if they do made the 8-9 game against Virginia, I would actually pull for Carolina to win, so that we could have the pleasure of finishing them off.

How do you define mixed emotions? Watching your mother-in-law drive your new Mercedes over a cliff.

It is even tough to root for the heels to win enough games to get a nine seed. I'd rather they lose every game they ever play.

BUT, this would be the silver lining IF unc can win even another game, maybe two. We would get the chance to roll over them again.

While it is nice to beat unc as many times as possible, it would be great to play a soft team like unc as the first of three games in three days.

hurleyfor3
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
As someone who will be attending the ACC Tournament and looking for tickets outside the Coliseum, I do NOT want unc in the 8/9 game.

If unc wins that game, ticket demand will be strong to see a Duke/unc matchup on Friday, no matter how bad unc is. I'd rather they get stuck down in the 10 or 11 seed to set up a potential ho-hum matchup with VPI or something.

Of course, it most importantly correct that one never, ever roots for unc under any circumstances in any event. The loss to BC today makes a seed above #10 less likely.

striker219
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Really need Maryland to lose one more game before we play them on March 3, so they don't have the added motivation of playing us for a share of first place in conference. No other threats remain besides Maryland.

Tied with Ga Tech with 2:36 to go...

hurleyfor3
02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Unc is 3-9 and cannot finish ahead of Duke, VPI, Maryland or Wake.

They lose the tiebreaker with Clemson, GIT and UVa. Not a single win against any of them and no games remaining against them.

They still have to play FSU, but FSU is dormie -- four games ahead of them (7-5) with four to play.

They still have to play UMiami.

They win the tiebreaker against NCSU, of course.

I don't want to run every possible scenario here, but it's very difficult to imagine them finishing higher than 10th unless they win three of their last four, one of which kinda needs to be UMiami.

RoyalBlue08
02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
....and regardless of where they finish, I highly doubt they will be playing on Friday anyway!

Indoor66
02-20-2010, 04:16 PM
How do you define mixed emotions? Watching your mother-in-law drive your new Mercedes over a cliff.

No problem there - the Mercedes is insured! ;)

cptnflash
02-20-2010, 04:17 PM
...and Maryland pulls it out to remain a threat for the ACC regular season title. Unbelievable finish. Thought Tucker might have stepped out of bounds before hitting the game winner.

airowe
02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
My fiancee tells me there are no advantages to finishing first.

Olympic Fan
02-20-2010, 04:25 PM
With UNC losing to BC today, it's hard to see them finishing as high as ninth. Not impossible, but unlikely.

As for pulling for Carolina in the 8-9 game, NOTHING is finer than watching Duke beat UNC ... and I'd even pull for the Tar Heels to win a game if it would make that happen.

But, as I said, not very likely to happen now. Pretty sure the 8-9 finishers will come from Virginia, BC and Miami (which has the easiest closing stretch).

DukieInBrasil
02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
1st, always finish 1st. The players are not thinking of anything other than finishing in first. I like not playing GT or Clemson in our first game, also.

bluepenguin
02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Of course, it most importantly correct that one never, ever roots for unc under any circumstances in any event. The loss to BC today makes a seed above #10 less likely.

As my daughter always says: ABC - anybody but carolina.

cptnflash
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I was wrong earlier, Tucker was clearly inbounds. Legit win for MD. Now we need Clemson or VT to take them out.

Jumbo
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Totally agree, this is the best reason to win the regular season. Anything can happen in the ACC tournament, particularly since we'll be playing three straight games against teams that have more at stake than we do in terms of making the NCAA field and seeding.

You know who is a bigger threat than Maryland right now? The team Duke hosts tomorrow night. VT only has 3 losses and Duke has already beaten Maryland. If Duke were to lose to VT, we'd be tied in the loss column and VT would have the tiebreaker.

There are two things that are bothering me in this thread and all over the DBR, for that matter. The first is that people are now taking things for granted -- like tomorrow's game or the home game against UNC. People are already talking about beating them a third time in the ACC Tourney. Uh, let's knock them off at home for the first time in 5 years first, OK?

Secondly, the obsession with UNC is bordering on ludicrous. I understand those of you who have to put up with UNC on a daily basis are absolutely relishing their suckitude. But Duke's success is orders of magnitude more important than anything UNC does. Period. And yet there are more threads than I care to count dedicated to UNC. I'm honestly thinking of posting a poll asking people whether they care more about Duke wins or UNC losses. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be unanimous among Duke fans, given what I've witnessed this season.

slower
02-20-2010, 05:38 PM
There are two things that are bothering me in this thread and all over the DBR, for that matter. The first is that people are now taking things for granted -- like tomorrow's game or the home game against UNC. People are already talking about beating them a third time in the ACC Tourney. Uh, let's knock them off at home for the first time in 5 years first, OK?

Secondly, the obsession with UNC is bordering on ludicrous. I understand those of you who have to put up with UNC on a daily basis are absolutely relishing their suckitude. But Duke's success is orders of magnitude more important than anything UNC does. Period. And yet there are more threads than I care to count dedicated to UNC. I'm honestly thinking of posting a poll asking people whether they care more about Duke wins or UNC losses. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be unanimous among Duke fans, given what I've witnessed this season.

That was a much-needed dose of irascibility.

Jumbo
02-20-2010, 11:15 PM
That was a much-needed dose of irascibility.

Does that mean I have to be cuddly for a little while now?

-bdbd
02-20-2010, 11:30 PM
You know who is a bigger threat than Maryland right now? The team Duke hosts tomorrow night. VT only has 3 losses and Duke has already beaten Maryland. If Duke were to lose to VT, we'd be tied in the loss column and VT would have the tiebreaker.

Good dose of "Come back down to reality" Jumbo. Thank you! Inevitably many of us are following MD and VPI and Wake and wishing them bad things (in the loss column). But we really need to focus on Duke winning. Everything else will take care of itself.

Go Duke! Beat VPI!!!!