PDA

View Full Version : Ed Davis has an agent?

YourLandlord
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2010/02/18/has-ed-davis-signed-an-agent/

So, uh, that's against the rules.

Can any of you website gurus see when that link was posted to that website? I really hope it was March of '09...

http://www.ptasportsmanagement.com/players.php

http://www.ptasportsmanagement.com/player.php?id=10

CrazieDUMB
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM
But why would anyone want to leave this UNC team?

Oh, right

uncwdevil
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Interesting.

Duvall
02-18-2010, 09:47 AM
The real question is why Ed Davis would sign with an agency with such a terrible list of clients. Ryan Sidney?

uncwdevil
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
The real question is why Ed Davis would sign with an agency with such a terrible list of clients. Ryan Sidney?

Perhaps they offered him a lot of money up front?

YourLandlord
02-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Perhaps they offered him a lot of money up front?
Like in March '09 perhaps.

Huh?
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't think he can even sit on the bench, can he?
Any word on if he has been going to classes?

uncwdevil
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Like in March '09 perhaps.

Wouldn't that be something...

Son of Mojo
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think he can even sit on the bench, can he?
Any word on if he has been going to classes?

If his forumspring is any indication...........no.

UrinalCake
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I believe they're allowed to have agents as long as the players don't accept any money. Agents often form "relationships" with players when they're still in school, sometimes even high school. It all sounds pretty greasy to me, but this is the world we live in. It wouldn't surprise me if some of our own players had agents waiting in the wings.

Huh?
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
If his forumspring is any indication...........no.

hahahaha, that's funny

Matches
02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
He is now absent from the firm's list of clients.

YourLandlord
02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I believe they're allowed to have agents as long as the players don't accept any money. Agents often form "relationships" with players when they're still in school, sometimes even high school. It all sounds pretty greasy to me, but this is the world we live in. It wouldn't surprise me if some of our own players had agents waiting in the wings.

Nope.

-jk
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
He is now absent from the firm's list of clients.

That was fast.

The NCAA is fairly clear:

Q: Would prospective or enrolled student-athletes jeopardize their amateur status and become ineligible for intercollegiate athletics if they retain an agent?

A: YES. The basic rule is that student-athletes are ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if they have ever agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing their athletics ability or reputation in that sport.

linky (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/34a376804e0b88ef937ef31ad6fc8b25/AgentBrochure.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=34a376804e0b88ef937ef31ad6fc8b25), if it works - it may be dynamic, though.

-jk

UrinalCake
02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Here's another take on the issue; this article was discussed on these boards last fall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4479770

I guess the question is whether a player has "hired' an agent or whether he simply has a "relationship" with the agent. If the player makes a verbal agreement that the agent will represent him after he leaves school, is that breaking the rules?

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't tell me that Carolina may have to forfeit their three conference wins.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
FWIW:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/agent-says-uncs-davis-hasnt-signed-but-has-had-contact-with-family

Matches
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Well gee, this whole thing doesn't smell funny at all!

The above is sarcasm, of course.

weezie
02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't that be something...

Yes, it surely would be......something.:cool:

weezie
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
FWIW:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/agent-says-uncs-davis-hasnt-signed-but-has-had-contact-with-family

Porter said he believes someone hacked his site, ptasportsmanagement.com, and added information"

Oh yah, that's what happened. Pesky cyberguys tormenting a poor defenseless sports agent and his good chum eddie.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Porter said he believes someone hacked his site, ptasportsmanagement.com, and added information"

Oh yah, that's what happened. Pesky cyberguys tormenting a poor defenseless sports agent and his good chum eddie.

If there is an NCAA violation question, it should be easy enough to prove one way or the other I would guess. If someone wanted to pursue it.

miramar
02-18-2010, 11:45 AM
That was fast.

The NCAA is fairly clear:

linky (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/34a376804e0b88ef937ef31ad6fc8b25/AgentBrochure.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=34a376804e0b88ef937ef31ad6fc8b25), if it works - it may be dynamic, though.

-jk

I think the question is the phrase "if they have ever agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing their athletics ability or reputation in that sport." I know several foreign players, and they have agents who in some cases are even their legal guardians in this country, but they pass themselves off as advisers, handlers, etc. Needless to say, they are in fact agents and the players admit that off the record.

Chitowndevil
02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Uhh... this is probably just me, but something about this thread makes me really uncomfortable. Players can't sign with agents, period, so seems like we've discussed all there is to discuss about the rule. Speculating about how Ed Davis's name ended up on that website is just that. There is absolutely no reason to believe Davis had improper contact with an agent during the 2009 season. I would hate to see ANY program, yes even Carolina, lose a national championship season- it's just plain bad for the sport.

SharkD
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Too bad http://archive.org hasn't crawled the page before and Google's cache is very recent and only reflects the current look of the site.

YourLandlord
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Uhh... this is probably just me, but something about this thread makes me really uncomfortable. Players can't sign with agents, period, so seems like we've discussed all there is to discuss about the rule. Speculating about how Ed Davis's name ended up on that website is just that. There is absolutely no reason to believe Davis had improper contact with an agent during the 2009 season. I would hate to see ANY program, yes even Carolina, lose a national championship season- it's just plain bad for the sport.
Then don't read it.

And I would hate to see a team cheat and win, which is even worse for the sport.

Matches
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
There is absolutely no reason to believe Davis had improper contact with an agent during the 2009 season.

Sure there is - his name showed on their client list. That's absolutely information that could lead one to believe there has been improper contact.

The agency denies any improper contact and provided an explanation as to how Davis' name ended up on the site. I don't think it's unfair to comment on whether the explanation sounds believable.

Chitowndevil
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Sure there is - his name showed on their client list. That's absolutely information that could lead one to believe there has been improper contact.

The agency denies any improper contact and provided an explanation as to how Davis' name ended up on the site. I don't think it's unfair to comment on whether the explanation sounds believable.

I should have emphasized "during the 2009 season". All of the articles I looked at were dated 2010. Even if Davis HAD signed with the agency as questioned/suggested by the original article(s) I don't see how that implies improper contact in 2009. If I'm overlooking something, I apologize.

dukeimac
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Nope. They can not even verbally agree to anything. Basically, no player can receive any perks from someone outside the normal basketball arrangement. If a player receives anything that is considered a perk that is against the rules. For example, Bush's (USC) parents were renting a house from a booster and there was an issue that the rent was well below the fair market value of rental property in the area. USC received a penalty for that. In Minnesota some players used a calling card that the players could us but they ran up a bill for more than was allowable and that got them into trouble, actually it was a reason it came to light their tutors were doing their homework for them but it started the whole thing. A store gave LeBron a pro jersey for nothing an that was a violation of the rules.

Basically, as soon as they have any contact with an agent they have violated the rules. Even having a friend talk to someone who knows an agent is bad. Even a friend receiving gifts from an agent is against the rule.

Matches
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I should have emphasized "during the 2009 season". All of the articles I looked at were dated 2010. Even if Davis HAD signed with the agency as questioned/suggested by the original article(s) I don't see how that implies improper contact in 2009. If I'm overlooking something, I apologize.

My bad. Even though it's February I still have in my head that this is the 2009 season.

shoutingncu
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
My bad. Even though it's February I still have in my head that this is the 2009 season.

If only...

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
If only...

LOL! I like your attitude, at least you seem to be able to take it for what it is... a game! I honestly hope that there is nothing to this agent thing... I think that if it is true Ol Roy might climb to the top of the Bell Tower and ....

BD80
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
So ol' roy found out about the agent and had some of his hillbilly kin break Ed's wrist (it was easy).

No forfeiting future games and sends a message to current and future tar heels.

For once I agree with ol' roy's coaching decisions :rolleyes:

chrishoke
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Roy turned down the same agent at least 12 times

bluepenguin
02-18-2010, 04:19 PM

This article suggests that Porter claims he never used the word "hacked" and has no idea how Davis' info ended up on the site.
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/56288/did-north-carolinas-ed-davis-sign-with-an-agent

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Roy turned down the same agent at least 12 times

That and Ol Roy has more passion in his little finger than all the agents in the world!

WiJoe
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
If there is an NCAA violation question, it should be easy enough to prove one way or the other I would guess. If someone wanted to pursue it.

Who's going to pursue it? One of the many unc "journalism" grads in the area? This will disappear, just like Wheat. Period.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Who's going to pursue it? One of the many unc "journalism" grads in the area? This will disappear, just like Wheat. Period.

Nifong.

TheFan
02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
The article said that Ed had not signed with an agent. Am I missing something?

IBleedBlue
02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Nope, you are not missing something :) . We all are missing a lot more information in this love affair between Ed Davis and the agent.
Only time will tell if this is true.
But I am pretty sure UNC cheating department staff has jumped on it by now and removed all evidence (like taking down Ed's name from the agents website) so that it saves them from erasing their NC from last year.

TheFan
02-18-2010, 06:44 PM
If there is not a signed contract (which cannot be covered up) then there is no foul. Pretty sure what ever contact Ed Davis had or has with an agent cannot compare to John Wall, Derek Rose, etc.. And if Ed does cause some problems that would be a shame. Atleast Wall actually plays like he needs an agent.

Newton_14
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
If there is not a signed contract (which cannot be covered up) then there is no foul. Pretty sure what ever contact Ed Davis had or has with an agent cannot compare to John Wall, Derek Rose, etc.. And if Ed does cause some problems that would be a shame. Atleast Wall actually plays like he needs an agent.

That is actually not correct. This was covered earlier in the thread. It does not have to be a signed contract for it to be a violation. If there is a verbal agreement that Davis will retain them as his agent, then his college days would be done. Now there is no evidence there is any kind of agreement at all in place at this point. But it does not have to be a written agreement for it to be illegal.