PDA

View Full Version : Upperclassmen

airowe
02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
We've got an impressive group of Juniors and Seniors this year. We'll lose a lot of leadership when Jon, Lance, and Brian take off. I know this article is mainly about the Miami game, but I think it accentuates the kind of character guys we have that refuse to lose:

http://dukechronicle.com/article/surge-out-locker-room-gives-blue-devils-control-against-canes

CrazieDUMB
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
One of the things I really enjoy about this season is that this group of seniors is the same group that took the fall for our "dismal", "shocking" 06-07 in which we finished (gasp!) 8-8 in the ACC. Given the extent of UNC's failures this season, that doesn't seem so bad, but at the time it was a huge deal. Opposing fans stormed the court about 6 times and the freshmen at the time had to deal with people saying Duke wasn't Duke, the Duke Era is over, etc. Finally they're getting some redemption and recognition for the great group of players they are.

superdave
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Our Senior big men played the bulk of the minutes yesterday and a ton of 2nd half minutes. It seems that their growing offensive confidence has made them very reliable lately. Hope it continues to grow.

CDu
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
It's a very important thing to consider. Veteran leadership is a big part of success in college basketball. We lose a lot in this senior class. However, it's not like we will have an empty cupboard of leadership. Singler and Smith will be very experienced, talented, and ready seniors (assuming they both stay). Curry will be a sophomore, but will have a year of experience as a player and an additional year of experience in the Duke system. Miles will be a junior and hopefully will have learned a lot from Zoubek and Thomas. Mason certainly has the fire to be an emotional leader, and hopefully he learns a lot this year and this summer and steps into a much bigger role. Leadership is a fluid thing, and hopefully we can replace the void left by some good leaders next year.