PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Miami

Jumbo
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Miami?

Coballs
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
This is actually a very tough call. Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, and Zoubs all made major contributions. Great team basketball on both ends of the court. Got to give my vote to Singler: 22-11-4 is tough to beat.

weezie
02-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Zoubs, The Human Life Preserver.

dukestheheat
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Nolan with the big shots and grit!

dth.

91devil
Kyle's game tonight was very well rounded. Black eyes for everyone!

mgtr
I voted for Zoubek since he almost single-handedly kept us in the first half. Obvously, Singler was great, Smith and Scheyer woke up in the second half.

dukeblue1206
Zoubs was it for the 1st half but for the entire game I gave it to Singler. I think it was like 22pts and 11 rebs for the game.

fisheyes
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Zoubs, The Human Life Preserver.

That's it! He WAS the Life Preserver!

CDu
02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
At the end of the first half, I'd have voted for Zoubek. But Singler was SO big in the second half that I went with him. But kudos to Zoubek for playing another very solid game. He's really stepping up for us now, which is nice.

And kudos to Smith and Scheyer for bouncing back (along with Singler) in the second half. Scheyer had a really tough night as a shooter, but hit some big shots late for us.

Gewebe14
02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Singler at the beginning of the 2nd half showed signs of turning from an extremely good player to a GREAT player and keyed that run. Zoo was awesome too, but come on, did you really expect differently?

grossbus
02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Zouperman. He lifted us.

ice-9
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Singler for playing like a warrior and ridiculous stats.

22 points on 16 shots, 10 rebounds with 5 offensive, 7 assists, 1 block.

All with a black eye.

Does it for me.

Zoubs gets a special mention for keeping us in it the first half, and Nolan for his lights out shooting in the second half (what was he 6 of 7?).

OldSchool
Kyle was our motor tonight with points, rebounds and assists.

However Zoubs with 5 steals! That is above and beyond the call of duty...

CLW
Z. Not sure why they didn't go to him more in the post in the 2nd half. That being said I think at the start of the 2nd half he had like 3 possession in a row (I think) where he came up with stops (2 steals and a charge).

Guy runs all over the court setting nice screens freeing up the big 3.

Jumbo
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Zoubek played well. But I actually think he did not do nearly as good enough job on the defensive boards as I'd like -- there were too many times when Miami came flying in for an offensive rebound that he should have owned. Love the passing, loved the aggressive hedging, loved the scoring, particularly off good entry passes from Kelly, as our friend Greybeard says.

But Kyle was sensational in all aspects of the game. Just made a much bigger impact in more areas than Zoubek. He gets my vote.

strawbs
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
After the first half i'd have said Big Z. I'f i'd only seen the 2nd half i would have said Nolan (at least until that stupid foul at the end ;) ). But for the whole game it has to be kyle. Played like a champ, and i'm glad to see his 3 point shot is a lot more consistent lately.

weezie
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
It's just so great to be this relieved and happy for Kyle and Brian!

loldevilz
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Zoubek because of his D...he made some huge stops.

VaDukie
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Another great game by Zoubek, but Kyle was an easy choice for me. Great to see them both hitting their stride at the right time!

SCMatt33
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I went Kyle for being the one who put the ball in the hoop during the huge run. But a big assist to Z for the consistent effort throughout.

jipops
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Zoubek played well. But I actually think he did not do nearly as good enough job on the defensive boards as I'd like -- there were too many times when Miami came flying in for an offensive rebound that he should have owned. Love the passing, loved the aggressive hedging, loved the scoring, particularly off good entry passes from Kelly, as our friend Greybeard says.

But Kyle was sensational in all aspects of the game. Just made a much bigger impact in more areas than Zoubek. He gets my vote.

I went with Z anyways. Not only did he produce on the offensive end but he also opened up shooters with all those screens and his passing off the high post was excellent, especially in the 2nd half. I believe Kyle got a couple layups off those. There were also the two huge free throws during the crucial stretch. On the defensive end, how about those 5 steals? Pretty damn nice coming from a big.

Newton_14
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I went with Kyle. He played well in both halfs. Zoubs had a good game, but still made a few more mistakes than he really should have. Still a solid game from him though. He has become an even stronger presence on both ends. He kept us in it in the first half when Jon and Nolan were struggling.

Can we get Patrick Davidson to come back and black Singler's other eye?

Also I don't think Kyle took to kindly to the pick on Nolan. He went Gerald on Miami on that next rebound where he fought 3 Miami guys and pulled it down in heavy traffic then went back up strong like a madman. Loved it.

Indoor66
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I went with Z anyways. Not only did he produce on the offensive end but he also opened up shooters with all those screens and his passing off the high post was excellent, especially in the 2nd half. I believe Kyle got a couple layups off those. There were also the two huge free throws during the crucial stretch. On the defensive end, how about those 5 steals? Pretty damn nice coming from a big.

I voted for Z. I agree with what jipops said and will add that Z's positioning on offense in the 2nd half required additional attention from the Miami defense. That led to openings for his teammates to score. He played a complete game. I also thought he got screwed on a couple of the fouls attributed to him.

BD80
02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
At the end of the first half, I'd have voted for Zoubek. But Singler was SO big in the second half that I went with him. But kudos to Zoubek for playing another very solid game. He's really stepping up for us now, which is nice.

And kudos to Smith and Scheyer for bouncing back (along with Singler) in the second half. Scheyer had a really tough night as a shooter, but hit some big shots late for us.

Nolan BOUNCED back, literally. GOT to give him MOTM.

Kyle and Z are worthy recipients, but Nolan gets my vote.

I can see a game (hopefully in late march, early April) where Nolan just goes off - 35 points on 15 shots kind of hot.

Jumbo
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Singler for playing like a warrior and ridiculous stats.

22 points on 16 shots, 10 rebounds with 5 offensive, 7 assists, 1 block.

Only 4 assists, but 11 boards, per the official box (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/672315.pdf?ATCLID=204889843&SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

Jumbo
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Z. Not sure why they didn't go to him more in the post in the 2nd half. That being said I think at the start of the 2nd half he had like 3 possession in a row (I think) where he came up with stops (2 steals and a charge).

Guy runs all over the court setting nice screens freeing up the big 3.

You know what the most impressive stat for Zoubek was? 29 minutes played.

wallyman
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Great to see Z get the recognition on the tv broadcast, but Kyle played like a pirate with that shiner. What a tough guy.

BleedsP287
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Kyle had a really good game. And so nice to see Zoub play well. When he plays at the level he did tonight we are a very good team. Nice move by Mason too, I'd love to see more of those.

We struggled with not hitting open shots and being a little sloppy first half. K's adjustments worked. Score another road win!

Coballs
02-17-2010, 10:07 PM

His 5 steals were impressive as well.

HateCarolina
02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I had to give it to Singler, but Zoubek was a very close second.

ice-9
02-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Only 4 assists, but 11 boards, per the official box (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/672315.pdf?ATCLID=204889843&SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

Ahh...ESPN box score had it 7 but now at 4. Nevertheless, an impressive all rounded performance.

jv001
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I know all the Duke guys hate to lose, but I don't know if I've seen anyone that hates to lose like Kyle. When Nolan got decked, he really took it personally. What a warrior. Go Duke!

SupaDave
02-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I know all the Duke guys hate to lose, but I don't know if I've seen anyone that hates to lose like Kyle. When Nolan got decked, he really took it personally. What a warrior. Go Duke!

It was very reminiscent of G in the Maryland game. There was no turning back for G after that...

BlueintheFace
02-18-2010, 12:21 AM

...and it is becoming a trend.

Sadly, Miles is going the other direction with those fouls.

BlueintheFace
02-18-2010, 12:23 AM

After Nolan got leveled, all I could think was: BIG MISTAKE, somebody is about to have a Gerald Henderson monster dunk moment and break this open. Kyle comes in, grabs the rebound, gets the foul, and looks like he might tear somebody's head off.

Wander
02-18-2010, 12:23 AM
When quoting Singler's stats from this game, please do not forget the turnover literally forced by his sweat.

BlueintheFace
02-18-2010, 12:33 AM
When quoting Singler's stats from this game, please do not forget the turnover literally forced by his sweat.

Too true, the rare but incredibly effective "Sweat Defense." I'm glad he didn't get a flagrant because he absolutely leveled that miami player...

juise
02-18-2010, 12:46 AM

I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere I didn't see it in the AP article), but that's a career high for him.

airowe
02-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Too true, the rare but incredibly effective "Sweat Defense." I'm glad he didn't get a flagrant because he absolutely leveled that miami player...

That was the most impressive non-contact takedown I've seen since that Kyrie Irving crossover that popped up a few days ago...

CameronBlue
02-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Zoubs continues to surprise. Good things are happening with the ball in his hands. In addition to those already mentioned, he helps moderate the pace of Duke's offensive sets which conjures up a term not heard as frequently as in past eras, "pivot". Much of what Duke has does on offense has originated with Scheyer naturally which often involves dribble penetration, kickouts and ball rotation to find the open man, but with the ball in Zoubs hands the offense can, flex, for lack of a better word opening up opportunities for cutters. It's a new wrinkle for this year's version of the motion offense that has emerged more forcibly over the last couple of games after only brief appearances in the past. Zoubs still lives and dies with the toot of a whistle so it remains to be seen whether the trend will continue but with Zoubs on the court there's still upside potential to be realized. I am surprised because I was definitely in the "Zoubs will be Zoubs" camp.

hudlow
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
I got up early this morning so I could vote for Zoubs before I went to work.

Another great game for the big guy.

Thanks!

Nrrrrvous
02-18-2010, 07:27 AM

Hasn't Gary Williams been trying to coach that defense for years??:D

DukieInBrasil
02-18-2010, 09:39 AM
had to go with Kyle, the double-double, assists, tudo. He played a stellar game and deserves the recognition.

moonpie23
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
i gotta go with kyle's shiner......wicked looking..... !!! :) i think he should keep it.....

DukieInKansas
02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I went with Zoubs. One play, the announcers (who never get anything wrong :D), said he set 6 screens. I think his play without the ball and his passes were huge last night.

I'm sure this was the first time he was named MVP by the announcers for a game.

DukeDevilDeb
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Hasn't Gary Williams been trying to coach that defense for years??:D

All I can hear ringing in my ears after reading this is, "SWEAT, GARY, SWEAT!" I love it!

I voted for Zoubs because I'm not sure we're even in the second half without his first half performance. He didn't get the ball as much in the second half because the rest of the team finally woke up. If you watched him on the bench at the very end of the game, he was exhausted! But that ESPN picked Zoubs as Player of the Game: I truly love it!

That said, Singler was a monster. Smith had an amazing second half of shooting and a very stupid foul that made Chris Collins hide his head in his hands. And I watched Scheyer make those two threes and thought why couldn't he do that earlier? Seemed to me that he got a lot more open looks in the first half than he ever has, and maybe he just can't shoot without a hand in his face! :D

91_92_01_10_15
02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
...so I waited to read the +/- numbers before I voted. Lance it is!

whereinthehellami
02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Singler without a doubht. Carried the team through stretches of the game and got 11 boards against a physical frontcourt of Miami.

Jeffrey
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
IMO, Brian is our most improved player but Kyle was our best player last night. Kyle played like a 1st team All-American last night. I'm not sure the same should be said about Brian.

lmb
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
I voted for Nolan. Not based on stats, but on the feel of the game. He hit several shots at critical times that felt huge.

Having said that, I never thought in my life I would hear this statement:

"It will be interesting to see how the Duke team will react with Brian Zoubek on the bench."

Whatever happens in March happens. But I love this team!!

dukestheheat
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Imb,

Y-E-S! You got it for Nolan! His shots were huge and momentum building, no doubt about it. And, only 14 votes for the MOTM!!!!

C'mon brethren, let us give Nolan some love! I'm sure we're just seeing a lull, and minor erring on the part of the flock......before the real floodgates of votes pour in.

dth.