PDA

View Full Version : Antawn Jamison

shoutingncu
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
The road to repeat may run through Cleveland...

Jamison to Cavs (http://new.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20112263)

Sorry if this is Off Topic (or On Topic, but uninteresting), but with the current Heels so daggum hard to watch, at least we can look back at one of the best.

weezie
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
He's served his time in hell/DC. I'm glad he's getting a break.
His performance, speaking to the fans before the game after Arenas blew everything up was incredible.
I wish him some good luck.

CDu
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
The road to repeat may run through Cleveland...

Jamison to Cavs (http://new.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20112263)

Sorry if this is Off Topic (or On Topic, but uninteresting), but with the current Heels so daggum hard to watch, at least we can look back at one of the best.

That's the type of player that Cleveland needed to add - a versatile PF that can score inside or out and defend a variety of forwards. Good move by Cleveland.

jgehtland
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Good for Antawn! I'm as much as a Heel-hater as the next guy, but Jamison has always been a guilty favorite of mine. I've never seen a guy make so much out of not having the ball in his hands. He is the best all time at getting in position, getting ready to catch, and being ready to do something with the ball. We calculated one game against us where he scored in the 30's and had the ball for, like, 42 seconds all told. Unbelievable.

He will make the Cavs impossible to guard. Wouldn't want to double off of Jamison even for an instant.

Duvall
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
That's the type of player that Cleveland needed to add - a versatile PF that can score inside or out and defend a variety of forwards. Good move by Cleveland.

Good move by Danny Ferry (which should put to rest any concern about off-topicality).

GoingFor#5
02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
It remains to be seen whether the Wizards should still be classified as an NBA franchise.

Rudy
02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
It remains to be seen whether the Wizards should still be classified as an NBA franchise.

They had to make these moves. Even before Arenas screwed up with the gun thing, they weren't winning this year. The chemistry that was present 3 years ago (or was it 2?) when they were a foul shot away (missed by Arenas) from bumping the Cavs out of the playoffs just wasn't coming together. Butler was playing depressed until Arenas went out. The season is lost so the team is clearing cap room and saving money for the rebuild.

Moving Jamison was a favor to him. After he tried to carry the team beset with injuries for 3 years it would have been cruel to keep him with Arenas, Butler and Haywood all gone.

Hopefully, Leonsis (current owner of the successful hockey team Washington Capitals) will gain control of the team and put it on the right building track.

superdave
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I think this puts Cleveland in the Finals. If the Lakers can get and stay healthy, we may have a watershed Finals. It was 'posed to happen last year, but I'll take it this year. Sounds like fun.

For all those who snobbishly refuse to watch the NBA, give it a chance this year come playoff time. The game has really gotten better each year for 5-6 years now.

GoingFor#5
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
They had to make these moves. Even before Arenas screwed up with the gun thing, they weren't winning this year. The chemistry that was present 3 years ago (or was it 2?) when they were a foul shot away (missed by Arenas) from bumping the Cavs out of the playoffs just wasn't coming together. Butler was playing depressed until Arenas went out. The season is lost so the team is clearing cap room and saving money for the rebuild.

Moving Jamison was a favor to him. After he tried to carry the team beset with injuries for 3 years it would have been cruel to keep him with Arenas, Butler and Haywood all gone.

Hopefully, Leonsis (current owner of the successful hockey team Washington Capitals) will gain control of the team and put it on the right building track.

As a Wizards fan, I am painfully aware of all this. I think it will be a looooong rebuilding process, though, because there is not much in recent franchise history that indicates they know how to build a winner and all these moves have been rather haphazard. Their biggest mistake, IMO, was alienating Arenas who, like it or not, probably isn't going anywhere and will be central to next year's team.

Lakers-Cavs finals, guaranteed, btw.

BattierD12
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Now now, let's not anoint the Cavs as Eastern Conference champions just yet. Yes, Antawn Jamison is a great pick-up, and the Cavs might have an answer for Rashard Lewis of the Magic now (in my opinion, he was reason #1 we beat them last year). However, they traded away Big Z for him. Who's going to back up Shaq at the 5 when he gets into foul trouble (often) or tired (also quite often)? As much crap as Shaq spews about him containing Dwight, I really see Dwight chewing them up now (hopefully like he did tonight against Detroit). For those thinking that Big Z will be dropped by the Wizards and picked up by the Cavs, don't be quite confident. Mark Cuban and the Mavs are going to try to woo him over, and it just may work.

Just a Magic fan's 2 cents.

superdave
02-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Now now, let's not anoint the Cavs as Eastern Conference champions just yet. Yes, Antawn Jamison is a great pick-up, and the Cavs might have an answer for Rashard Lewis of the Magic now (in my opinion, he was reason #1 we beat them last year). However, they traded away Big Z for him. Who's going to back up Shaq at the 5 when he gets into foul trouble (often) or tired (also quite often)? As much crap as Shaq spews about him containing Dwight, I really see Dwight chewing them up now (hopefully like he did tonight against Detroit). For those thinking that Big Z will be dropped by the Wizards and picked up by the Cavs, don't be quite confident. Mark Cuban and the Mavs are going to try to woo him over, and it just may work.

Just a Magic fan's 2 cents.

Ilgauskus is expected to be waived and re-sign with the Cavs.

Starter
02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I met Jamison a few times in the mall, etc., after the guy was in the NBA and he was nothing but class, and I always liked his game even as he was "busting our..." you know what. Good for him that he got traded to this situation to play some meaningful ball late into the playoffs, and to play with one of the greatest talents the NBA has seen in a generation. He's perfect for that team.

FerryFor50
02-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Jamison is probably the only Carolina player I ever liked. Great player, class act, did everything the right way and never made any issues on or off the court.

UrinalCake
02-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Even though he absolutely killed us every time we played, I always respected Jamison. Would have loved to have him on our team. He was somewhat overshadowed by Vince Carter once they got into the NBA, but IMO Jamison is the better player. Glad to see he'll have a chance to get a ring in Cleveland.

cruxer
02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
I hated him when he played for unc mostly because he slayed us so many times, but they guy is a great player and a pretty good guy, from what I can tell. I sat next to him in the nose dome for one of Jordan's last exhibition games with the Bulls and he was much more down to earth than you'd expect for such a star returning home.

-c

davekay1971
02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Good for Antawn! I'm as much as a Heel-hater as the next guy, but Jamison has always been a guilty favorite of mine.

Absolutely agree. As intense as the rivalry is, it's possible to admire, even like, someone who chose the wrong shade of blue. Jamison was a guy you had to like while he was at Carolina. One of my favorites from the wrong side of the Triangle.

Hope the trade works out for him and he has a chance to help Ferry put together a championship team in Cleveland.

phaedrus
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Can we rename this thread "Danny Ferry"? I think he's clearly having the best season of any Duke - or UNC - player.

phaedrus
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
As much crap as Shaq spews about him containing Dwight, I really see Dwight chewing them up now (hopefully like he did tonight against Detroit).

Well, fortunately for Jamison and his new Cavalier teammates, Howard's offense has been pretty effectively stifled this season by Jamison's old Carolina teammate.

elvis14
02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
You can add me to the list of guys that has always liked Jamison....in the NBA. I have always liked the way he just find a way to score. This makes the Cavs a pretty big favorite in the East. As much as I'd love to see JJ and his Magic make another run I think they are a player away and I'm not convinced VC can stay healthy and be a good playoff player. As for the Wizards fans, all I can say is 'good luck' and you have my respect for sticking with your team.

hq2
02-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Good move by Danny. For Cleveland, the future is now. With Lebron probably leaving after this year (what will someone offer him, a billion?), and Shaq nearing the end of the line, it was the right move. Cleveland hasn't won a championship of any kind since 1964, so they should do it now. The folks by the lake should finally get something to celebrate. And, I might add, despite the fact that he's from Carolina, I'd like to see Antawn get a ring. He's toiled away for years on lousy teams, never getting the credit he's deserved, and now's his chance.

1999ballboy
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Antawn is easily one of the top 5 college players I ever saw play. I'm really glad he's found his groove in the NBA. When they first went pro, Carter got all the good pub, and now Antawn is once again the better player. Never liked Carter, always had tons of respect for Antawn.

Classof06
02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
As a Cleveland native and lifelong Cavs fan, I'm ecstatic.

For the long list of great Carolina players, I feel like Jamison never really gets his due. The guy was a heckuva college player, one of the best Carolina players I've ever seen.

I thought the Cavs were the best team in the NBA before the All-Star break and I certainly feel the same way right now.

BattierD12, nitpick all you want, if you think Orlando's going to have their way with Cleveland again, you're deluding yourself.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I forget if it was determined that the Jamison "your mom can't spell" chant was clever or rude. It's been awhile.

RPS
02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Jamison is probably the only Carolina player I ever liked.At the risk of sacrilege....

I really liked Billy Cunningham. I loved Bobby Jones.

How can you dislike Doug Moe or Kenny Smith? I don't even dislike Hubert Davis.

Charlie Scott was a great player and was crucial to the full integration of ACC basketball.

James Worthy, Walter Davis, Dudley Bradley and Al Wood were all terrific players who always handled themselves well (Worthy had some troubles later and Rich Yonakor -- Airball! Airball! -- is another matter entirely). How come Dean didn't win more with them?

Phil Ford was fabulous until his demons got him.

Brad Daugherty was an outstanding player and a better person. I wish he were calling games again.

That said, I booed 'em all. Every last one.

And I wish Antawn only the best in Cleveland.

elvis14
02-18-2010, 04:39 PM
At the risk of sacrilege....

Charlie Scott was a great player and was crucial to the full integration of ACC basketball.

James Worthy, Walter Davis, Dudley Bradley and Al Wood were all terrific players who always handled themselves well (Worthy had some troubles later and Rich Yonakor -- Airball! Airball! -- is another matter entirely). How come Dean didn't win more with them?

Brad Daugherty was an outstanding player and a better person. I wish he were calling games again.

It's OK to say that one's OK with Jamison but to give support to that many Tar Holes it just plain wrong.

RPS
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
It's OK to say that one's OK with Jamison but to give support to that many Tar Holes it just plain wrong.I realize we're just messin' around here, but I seriously wonder what is it about our culture that seems to require that we demonize the opposition? Those on the "other side" aren't simply in error or wrong or misguided, or or or -- they have to be evil or irrational or stupid. I booed Dean Smith with an unrestrained passion (I'll bow to nobody on that), and even thought his game-coaching was seriously overrated, but I also honor him as a great human being who was beyond crucial in bringing the ACC (and even the surrounding society to an extent) belatedly into the 20th Century.

-jk
02-18-2010, 05:22 PM
I realize we're just messin' around here, but I seriously wonder what is it about our culture that seems to require that we demonize the opposition? Those on the "other side" aren't simply in error or wrong or misguided, or or or -- they have to be evil or irrational or stupid. I booed Dean Smith with an unrestrained passion (I'll bow to nobody on that), and even thought his game-coaching was seriously overrated, but I also honor him as a great human being who was beyond crucial in bringing the ACC (and even the surrounding society to an extent) belatedly into the 20th Century.

Not "the opposition". Carolina. Evil incarnate.

Aiding or abetting or succoring the enemy is treasonous. (I'm pointing at you Jason "keep unc strong for the rivalry" Evans)

-jk

davekay1971
02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
1) If you don't feel a flash of intense hatred at the sight of that putrid color of blue, you aren't hating nearly enough

2) The Dean Dome is the ugliest building in the world. Carmichael Auditorium is a close, close second.

3) Carolina fans are, as a group, to be despised. They are, after all, supporters of evil. And kind of pathetic.

4) The coach of the Tarholes must be hated without question. Even Doh.

5) The scrubby little glee club looking dweebs at the end of the bench who exist only to jump up and down exuberantly, tell the real players how great they are, and perform various "team morale" services behind the scenes, must be hated and ridiculed.

6) You must hate at least 4/5 of the team on the court with unbridled passion.

7) You are allowed one (1) player per season for whom you feel a grudging respect. While they are actually playing for Carolina, you can not like them. You may respect them, not hate them with the same visceral loathing with which you hate the rest of the team, kind of think you might actually like them if they didn't play for Carolina...but you can't actually like them. That would be treason. Once they no longer don the putrid pale blue, then you can start to kind of like them...a little.

8) There are only two appropriate answers to the question, "Who are you cheering for when Carolina plays [College X]." (1) College X; (2) mutual annihilation (ie: if College X = UConn, Kentucky, Maryland, etc).

9) Certain Tarholes cannot be liked under any circumstance, ever, no matter how much time passes. My starter list includes (but is not limited to): King Rice, Steve Bucknall, Rashad McCants, Jeff McInnis, Scott Williams, :eek:, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Raw**** Wallace. These Holes are in the pantheon of highest evil. Feel free to add to the list.

weezie
02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm afraid #7 is contradictory. Can't respect, must hate hate hate any active player in the gaagh blue. But, they are your rules and as so, carry on.

I loathed 'sheed as a hole player but learned to care for him after he brought the NBA Championship to my beloved, battered Detroit. When Donaghy the ref was found to have been cheating, 'sheed was one of the few players to blast him publicly. But, now 'sheed's in BOS and it's over between us.
Thanks for the memories but back to our respective ends of 15/501.
And I totally accept and understand any vitriol that I get dumped on my head here, just remember that I truly, sincerely and eternally despise the dump on the hump.
Let's go Devils!!

RPS
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
9) Certain Tarholes cannot be liked under any circumstance, ever, no matter how much time passes. My starter list includes (but is not limited to): King Rice, Steve Bucknall, Rashad McCants, Jeff McInnis, Scott Williams, :eek:, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Raw**** Wallace. These Holes are in the pantheon of highest evil. Feel free to add to the list.You're clearly not old enough. You forgot Larry Brown, Lennie Rosenbluth, Rich Yonakor, Dave Colescott, Mike O'Koren....

FerryFor50
02-19-2010, 05:55 AM
At the risk of sacrilege....

I'm not old enough to have seen most of the guys you're talking about. I grew up in rural NC, with no cable TV - so I rarely got the chance to see games. I'm 32, which puts me right at the Pete Chilcutt/Jeff Lebo/JR Reid years of what I remember in terms of UNC basketball...

From the games I started watching, I only liked Jamison. Hubert Davis was ok... but not as skilled as Jamison. I need to respect the player if I'm going to go as far as liking the opposing team's guy. :p

ClosetHurleyFan
02-19-2010, 08:25 AM
1) If you don't feel a flash of intense hatred at the sight of that putrid color of blue, you aren't hating nearly enough

2) The Dean Dome is the ugliest building in the world. Carmichael Auditorium is a close, close second.

3) Carolina fans are, as a group, to be despised. They are, after all, supporters of evil. And kind of pathetic.

5) The scrubby little glee club looking dweebs at the end of the bench who exist only to jump up and down exuberantly, tell the real players how great they are, and perform various "team morale" services behind the scenes, must be hated and ridiculed.

7) You are allowed one (1) player per season for whom you feel a grudging respect. While they are actually playing for Carolina, you can not like them. You may respect them, not hate them with the same visceral loathing with which you hate the rest of the team, kind of think you might actually like them if they didn't play for Carolina...but you can't actually like them. That would be treason. Once they no longer don the putrid pale blue, then you can start to kind of like them...a little.

8) There are only two appropriate answers to the question, "Who are you cheering for when Carolina plays [College X]." (1) College X; (2) mutual annihilation (ie: if College X = UConn, Kentucky, Maryland, etc).

9) Certain Tarholes cannot be liked under any circumstance, ever, no matter how much time passes. My starter list includes (but is not limited to): King Rice, Steve Bucknall, Rashad McCants, Jeff McInnis, Scott Williams, :eek:, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Raw**** Wallace. These Holes are in the pantheon of highest evil. Feel free to add to the list.

I have to say that even as a totally irrational Carolina fan in this midst of a season of hell (that has been lurking here for years, pay no attention to the post number), I find this post refreshingly honest and totally hilarious. I mean, if you cant laugh at this as a UNC fan (or a Duke fan if it were written by a UNC fan), you take yourself way too seriously and probably dont have a healthy sense of self-awareness. LIfe is really all about contradictions and the truth is you and I could probably sit in a bar and have a beer and enjoy each other's company yet still hate our respective institutions and fan bases at the same time. The fact that the two can in fact coexist is reassuring, heck its a lot easier than trying to wrangle with why we shouldnt hate each other's institutions!

Have you read the book "To hate like this is to be happy forever"? Its written from a tar heel perspective but the guy is refreshingly honest as to how infantile his hatred of duke is and the path he goes down to examine it and question it is rather entertaining. For instance, he goes to crazy towel guy's house for an afternoon to watch a Duke game and even brings himself to slap high fives with the guy when Duke does something good. Frankly, I would say that it could just as easily been written by a Duke fan going the other direction, although admitedly some of the sociological phenonmenons he examines, particulary as they pertains to author's specific North Carolina roots are very UNC centric.

FerryFor50
02-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Add JR Reid, Kevin Salvadori, Shammond Williams and Joe Forte to that list.

davekay1971
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Excellent suggestions.

And thank you, ClosetHurleyFan!

hotbutteredseoul
02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
BattierD12, nitpick all you want, if you think Orlando's going to have their way with Cleveland again, you're deluding yourself.

I think this trade definitely fixes the Orlando matchup problems that Cleveland had last year. Nobody will have to watch Verajao failing to stay within 10 feet of Rashard now.

Where the trade concerns me, though, is how they match up with the biggest teams, particularly the Lakers. You really can't rely on Shaq for more than 25 minutes in any given game, given that his lack of lateral quickness has him picking up fouls all the time. If I were a Cleveland fan, I would be terrified of a Finals game where Shaq fouls out at the beginning of the 4th, leaving Hickson, Verajao, and Jamison to try to contain Gasol and Bynum on the offensive glass.

If the Cavs get big Z back, this is all irrelevant, of course. But if the Mavs snag him, I wonder if the Cavs gave up their matchup advantage with the Lakers (or even the Celtics).

FerryFor50
02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I think this trade definitely fixes the Orlando matchup problems that Cleveland had last year. Nobody will have to watch Verajao failing to stay within 10 feet of Rashard now.

Where the trade concerns me, though, is how they match up with the biggest teams, particularly the Lakers. You really can't rely on Shaq for more than 25 minutes in any given game, given that his lack of lateral quickness has him picking up fouls all the time. If I were a Cleveland fan, I would be terrified of a Finals game where Shaq fouls out at the beginning of the 4th, leaving Hickson, Verajao, and Jamison to try to contain Gasol and Bynum on the offensive glass.

If the Cavs get big Z back, this is all irrelevant, of course. But if the Mavs snag him, I wonder if the Cavs gave up their matchup advantage with the Lakers (or even the Celtics).

The only way Z doesn't end up back with the Cavs is if Washington doesn't buy him out. Z wants to stay in Cleveland by all accounts...

Reddevil
02-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I respected Geoff Crompton and, uhhh ...... yeah, that's pretty much it. I went to see karlyna play UR as a kid. We had seats near the floor, and that was the first time I ever saw a LARGE person up close. I handed him a ball that got away during warmups. Truly astonishing!

Other than that, I can only root for one of THEM if they have USA on their jersey.

RPS
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
We had seats near the floor, and that was the first time I ever saw a LARGE person up close. I handed him a ball that got away during warmups. Truly astonishing!I turned a corner in CIS once and walked right into Ralph Sampson a couple of hours before game time. I'm 6'2" and felt like I did a face plant into his navel.

Jeff Frosh
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I can't believe Makhtar Ndiaye didn't make the list. He should be at the top.

theAlaskanBear
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
I hate Jamison and all things Carolina.

That said, I look forward to watching Cleveland play. They have been missing a good scoring forward since Carlos Boozer (my namesake) left Cleveland. Jamison is a way better fit than Amare, and a more versatile defender. Plus, if its true that the Wizards are going to waive Ilgauskas and he is going BACK to the Cavs, this is just a steal. The Wizards are blowing up their team, which was evident after the Caron Butler trade.

I dont know whether I hope the Cavs win the NBA Championship or not, I want the outcome to send Lebron to NYC. I have never been a fan of Mike Brown's coaching, nor the Cleveland front office (tho to be fair, they have done well THIS year).

MChambers
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I turned a corner in CIS once and walked right into Ralph Sampson a couple of hours before game time. I'm 6'2" and felt like I did a face plant into his navel.

Sampson was a lot taller, but Crompton was a lot bigger. They could have torn him down and put up an office building.

RPS
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Sampson was a lot taller, but Crompton was a lot bigger. They could have torn him down and put up an office building.I remember. He was listed at something like 280 but had to be 300 lbs. But with today's weight training, particularly among football players, he doesn't seem quite so huge. Tackles are routinely in the 6'7", 325 lb. range. My youngest is a D1 football player with many 300+ lb. teammates. And then there's Shaq....

BD80
02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
The only way Z doesn't end up back with the Cavs is if Washington doesn't buy him out. Z wants to stay in Cleveland by all accounts...

If I recall correctly, Danny and Z are very close. It is likely that Danny talked this through with Z before pulling the trigger.

Great trade by Danny. AJ can get his shot up faster than anyone I can remember. At unc he was unguardable.

Faison1
02-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Antawn is one of the few Heels I will ever cheer for. His college career was remarkable, and he always seemed to be of high moral character. I really hope this trade works out for him, as it will make the playoffs much more interesting for me.

As an aside, I was at the ACC Tourney Finals in '98, and I really thought I was witnessing the second coming of Michael Jordan. Antawn missed a dunk that hit off the rim so hard, the ball seemed to go all the way in to the rafters. It was amazing to watch his power.

Anyway, best of luck to you, Antawn!

Faison1
02-20-2010, 07:58 AM

That is frickin' hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. I think I might print that out and pin it up somewhere. (My wife is a UNC-CH grad, so I will have to be careful where I place it.)

theAlaskanBear
02-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Well, Jamison had a subpar effort last night, going 0-12 as the Bobcats walked over Cleveland. They scored 110 points.

The Cleveland D might be shakey for a bit as they adjust to new players, and Z leaves a big defensive hole that Shaq just can't fill.