PDA

View Full Version : +1 for Pat Forde (for once) for his comments on Ol' Roy

HowBoutDemDevils
02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
"North Carolina coach Roy Williams (14) would feel right at home in the kiss-and-cry area adjacent to the figure-skating rink. College basketball's resident drama queen teared up -- again -- during a recent interview with Yahoo! about the Tar Heels' struggles this season. Get the man a sequined jump suit, please."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4917745

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow another Roy Williams crying and whining episode. This has become common with Ray with several incidents of crying and swearing on national TV. First it was the whole I don;t give a #### about North Carolina after losing the national title game, various incidents of meltdowns throughout the years, and now this. Priceless!!

I could never see Coach K crying in an interview. The guy is spoiled, and doesn't know how to handle a down year like every school goes through. He won't be crying next season I don't have a feeling, but certainly how he keeps the crying going!!

I feel so bad for You :p

Good Luck in the NIT!!

mo.st.dukie
02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
-1 for his assessment of Duke's season.

"What's not to like: Against the two best teams Duke has played -- Wisconsin and Georgetown -- the Devils led for a total of 13 seconds. Key games remaining: at Maryland on March 3, North Carolina on March 6. Outlook: If Duke wins out and other teams take expected losses, the Blue Devils could easily wind up an artificially inflated No. 1 seed."

"Duke is the class of the league -- and Duke was drilled by Georgetown just a couple of weeks ago. There are no truly terrible teams in the ACC, but there are fewer truly impressive ones than we've seen in quite some time."

Forde, you do realize Nova was also drilled at GTown. Does Gonzaga and Wake Forest not count as tough teams? I'd almost say those two teams are as good if not better than Wisconsin and GTown. I think it's save to say Pat Forde won't have Duke going farther than the Sweet 16 in his bracket. Let's prove him wrong.

roywhite
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Forde, you do realize Nova was also drilled at GTown. Does Gonzaga and Wake Forest not count as tough teams? I'd almost say those two teams are as good if not better than Wisconsin and GTown. I think it's save to say Pat Forde won't have Duke going farther than the Sweet 16 in his bracket. Let's prove him wrong.

Looks like Forde has his mind made up on the ACC. Don't agree.

Look at Wake---they are 18-5 and 7-3 in conferecne with wins over Richmond, Xavier, and @Gonzaga, in addition to winning 4 straight ACC games.

But they are ranked #23 and #25, behind several teams with 6 losses.

We'll see how things work out, but I could see Duke and the ACC in general do better than expected (by Forde, at least) in the NCAA tournament.

blueprofessor
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
"North Carolina coach Roy Williams (14) would feel right at home in the kiss-and-cry area adjacent to the figure-skating rink. College basketball's resident drama queen teared up -- again -- during a recent interview with Yahoo! about the Tar Heels' struggles this season. Get the man a sequined jump suit, please."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4917745

...instead of having been parachuted into great programs with excellent players?
He would have been in a mental ward by the third season!

Man, Huck Hamlet is reminding all how lucky he has been in the last 20 years and how petty his complaints are compared to all the pain that is in our country now because of hard times.
Anybody not willing to trade places with this whimpering little man?

Best to all Duke fans--Blueprofessor:):(

OldPhiKap
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM

"What's not to like: Against the two best teams Duke has played -- Wisconsin and Georgetown -- the Devils led for a total of 13 seconds. Key games remaining: at Maryland on March 3, North Carolina on March 6. Outlook: If Duke wins out and other teams take expected losses, the Blue Devils could easily wind up an artificially inflated No. 1 seed."

"Duke is the class of the league -- and Duke was drilled by Georgetown just a couple of weeks ago. There are no truly terrible teams in the ACC, but there are fewer truly impressive ones than we've seen in quite some time."

I don't think that's an unfair assessment of us or the league this year. We have a lot of potential and we have shown it at home. We are still learning to apply it on the road. Although I like this team's chances better than several of our past "loaded teams" due to the balance and chemistry, I don't think anyone looks at our team and compares it to former worldbeaters.

And I hope they keep underestimating us as it all gels together. We have had several teams in the past that peaked in January or early February. I think that we are just starting to see the wave building for our guys this year.

OldPhiKap
02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
...instead of having been parachuted into great programs with excellent players?

Man, Huck Hamlet is reminding all how lucky he has been in the last 20 years and how petty his complaints are compared to all the pain that is in our country now because of hard times.

Well, to be fair, that Presbyterian fan did not show proper decorum . . . .

("Huck Hamlet." I like that one).

Wander
02-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Seems like a fair assessment to me.

Purdue has a road game at #9 Ohio State. Kansas State has a road game at #1 Kansas. #3 Syracuse, #5 Villanova, #8 West Virginia, and #10 Georgetown are all playing at least one of the others.

The teams Duke is competing with for a 1 seed are all playing at least 1 top 10 team. Not only is Duke not playing another top 10 team in the regular season, we're not even playing a top 25 team.

It's not our fault and we have nothing to apologize for, but the truth is at this point the teams we're competing with have SIGNIFICANTLY harder games left on their schedule than we do.

Stray Gator
02-16-2010, 04:23 PM

I'm surprised the Cameron Crazies and the Duke Pep Band haven't put it together that the perfect greeting for Roy when the Heels visit Cameron is to serenade him with that timeless classic, "You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog":

You ain’t nothin’ but a hound dog
Cryin’ all the time.
Cryin’ all the time.
Well, you ain’t never caught a rabbit
And you ain’t no friend of mine.

Well they said you was high classed
Well, that was just a lie.
Yeah they said you was high classed
Yeah, you ain’t never caught a rabbit

:D

roywhite
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm surprised the Cameron Crazies and the Duke Pep Band haven't put it together that the perfect greeting for Roy when the Heels visit Cameron is to serenade him with that timeless classic, "You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog":

Cryin’ all the time.
Cryin’ all the time.

Excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsQSb9RFo0

The King himself would approve.

Jim3k
02-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Cryin’ all the time.
Cryin’ all the time.

What Stray said. Perfect.

Edit: Oooh. Jeff Mullins. My classmate. Props to you, Jeff!

Duvall
02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Seems like a fair assessment to me.

Purdue has a road game at #9 Ohio State. Kansas State has a road game at #1 Kansas. #3 Syracuse, #5 Villanova, #8 West Virginia, and #10 Georgetown are all playing at least one of the others.

The teams Duke is competing with for a 1 seed are all playing at least 1 top 10 team. Not only is Duke not playing another top 10 team in the regular season, we're not even playing a top 25 team.

It's not our fault and we have nothing to apologize for, but the truth is at this point the teams we're competing with have SIGNIFICANTLY harder games left on their schedule than we do.

That may well be true, but it ignores the fact that NCAA Tournament seeding is based on the entire season, not just the last three weeks of the regular season. If you look at the season as a whole, Duke has compiled its record against as tough a schedule as any of these teams, and tougher than most.

left_hook_lacey
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't think that's an unfair assessment of us or the league this year. We have a lot of potential and we have shown it at home. We are still learning to apply it on the road. Although I like this team's chances better than several of our past "loaded teams" due to the balance and chemistry, I don't think anyone looks at our team and compares it to former worldbeaters.

And I hope they keep underestimating us as it all gels together. We have had several teams in the past that peaked in January or early February. I think that we are just starting to see the wave building for our guys this year.

I agree that this is not an unfair assessment of us or the league in general this year. I mean, we as a team have not really given a good reason to fear us lately. We've had several teams in recent years that looked like we were final four bound until the beginning of March, then it all crumbled. Until we reverse that trend, we can't blame the haters for thinking we're going to do it again. I guess it affects my view as well. I think this team is very capable of making the final four, I still feel in the back of my mind that they could bow out at the sweet 16 or before. I think how our bracket matchups turn out will be the biggest variable in determining how deep we get in the tourney.

That being said, if there's one thing we have on our side this year that has been lacking in recent years, it's depth inside.

DukieInKansas
02-16-2010, 04:41 PM

But trading places with him would mean associating with the light blue down the road - no thanks!

I like "Huck Hamlet"! :D

Wander
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
That may well be true, but it ignores the fact that NCAA Tournament seeding is based on the entire season, not just the last three weeks of the regular season. If you look at the season as a whole, Duke has compiled its record against as tough a schedule as any of these teams, and tougher than most.

Oh, I agree, if we win out, we'll deserve a 1 seed. I don't want to say we're simply "avoiding losses" at this point, because @Maryland and the ACC tourney will be really tough, but... well, our schedule was frontloaded, and we kind of are just avoiding losses, at least in comparison to Syracuse et al.

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM

What about #9 ranked Gonzaga?

I don't get the moaning about our schedule. We have played the #5 toughest schedule in the land according to Pomeroy. Sagain says it is the #3 toughest schedule. The RPI says it is #8.

--Jason "if we finish the season with only 4 losses against a top 5 schedule, a #1 seed would not be undeserved" Evans

KyDevilinIL
02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Forde's assessment of the rest of our season is fine. After the last five years, most of the national media is in "show me" mode with Duke in regard to March. And frankly there's no reason they shouldn't think that way.

But I have a hard time buying that our No. 1 seed would be "inflated" if we win out and are 30-4, while Kentucky as a No. 1 seed at perhaps 31-3 – with two losses in their last 10 vs. zero for Duke, hypothetically speaking – would be A-OK. The bodies of work would be pretty much equal at worst.

oldnavy
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Anyway you look at it, Ol' Roy is pitiful. If he is faking the emotion he is a fraud and is desperate for attention and sympathy. If he is genuinely moved to tears over a poor season of basketball, then he is disturbingly unbalanced. Either way, he needs help...seriously.

miramar
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I could never see Coach K crying in an interview.

Well, Coach K did start crying on national TV after the big Duke victory over Georgetown in the 1988 regional finals, but he more than made up for it with his (IIRC) "I'm such a polack" comment.

Totally different situation, with humor rather than self pity.

camion
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM

It depends on who's doing the ranking. According to the Pomeroy rankings we have played a top ten team, Wisconsin. Maryland was top ten when we played them. The dropped out after we beat them. Currently in Pomeroy we have Maryland (12), Clemson (19), Florida St. (21) and Va Tech(24), Ga Tech (27) and Wake Forest (29) in the ACC. That's 9 conference games, over half of our conference schedule, against top 30 teams. Then there's Georgetown, Gonzaga, Arizona State.

Sagarin, BTW has Wake (16), Maryland (24), Clemson (28), Va Tech (29), Florida State (32) and Ga Tech (33).

We lack marquee games against single digit teams, but the schedule isn't crap.

Wander
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
What about #9 ranked Gonzaga?

I meant our remaining schedule in comparison to other team's remaining schedules. We'll deserve a 1 if we win out.

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 05:16 PM

I agree with this. Are we a top 10 team in the country? Yes. But are we at the level of a Ketucky, Kansas or Nova as of right now? No. We have some solid wins vs. Clemson, Wake, Gonzaga by 35, UConn and Maryland the 2nd best team in the ACC. Had a couple bad losses to N.C State and just a horrid game at Georgetown.

However, you look at teams ranked ahead of this in the standings... Kansas, Ketucky, Nova, Purdue and Syracuse have had all tougher schedules but maybe Ketucky.

Assuming that Ketucky will win the SEC tourney and run the table they will be one seed.

Kansas, Nova, Purdue and Syracuse however have tougher schedules going out through the Big East and the Big 12.

Kansas I think will be a one seed even if they don't win the Big 12 tourney. They would have to lose at least one game in the regular season and be bumped in the second round of the Big 12 tourney.

Purdue is the one where it could slip for them. They still have a game at Ohio State and have a tough run in the Big ten tourney. If they lost that game, and a game in the big 10 Tourney, it could bump them from a #1 seed to a 2 seed.

Nova lost last night to UConn at home. Not a bad loss at all, but could look bad if Uconn does not make the tourney. Nova has been one of the best teams in the country, bar none. It would take them losing one more game in the regular season and losing in the Big East tourney to knock them from a #1 seed, and that might not even do it.

Syracuse is a team that could slip as well. They have lost to Louisville this past weekend, and will fall beyond those two spots like Nova will as well. Like Nova, they win out, they are a #1 seed, if they lose in the regular season and then lose early in the Big East tourney, I could see them falling to a #2 seed.

So I have Ketucky and Kansas locked into those spots barring a meltdown which I don't see.

Duke will need to win out to get a #1 seed. The only games I see as a threat is the game at Maryland, we get back that and win the ACC tourney, we will be in as #1 seed.

We lose at any point, we will be a #2 seed, and if we lost twice I could even seeing us being a #3 which I don't see happening.

dukeblue1206
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
That quote about Roy Williams from Pat Forde is great...I just made it my status update on Facebook!!

weezie
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
And how it must have pained Paddy to admit that royboy was a sad clown :D

I can't photoshop but surely one of you smart DBRers can.....sad clown anyone?
Maybe a sad clown hound dog?

hurleyfor3
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Well, Coach K did start crying on national TV after the big Duke victory over Georgetown in the 1988 regional finals, but he more than made up for it with his (IIRC) "I'm such a polack" comment.

Also after the loss to Berkeley in the 1993 NCAAs. Not because he lost the game, but because he was losing Bobby Hurley.

moonpie23
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I was alright, for a while,
I could smile for a while,
but then i saw you last night
like deer in the headlights,
when you tried to run a play,

tho you missed the dunk
i felt so punked,
cause i'd been cry-i-i-ng over you
cry-i-i-ng over you,

since hans said "so long"
left me standing all alone
alone and crying, crying, cryiiiiiiiing
it's hard to understand
i want to BE the man
and so i'm crying...

i thought that i,
could coach you well,
but it's hell, oh it's hell
i love my last team best
they showed up for the test
but tarholes what can i DOOOOOOOOO
for you DONT love me
and i'll always be
cryiiing, over you cryiiiiing, over you

yes, now the N.I.T.
and "huck" i'll always be

I'll be crying, crying cryiiiiiiiiiing

cryiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

cryiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

oooooooo-ooooo-oooover yoooooooooooooooou

apologies to r.o.

blueprofessor
02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=moonpie23;365433]I was alright, for a while,
I could smile for a while,
but then i saw you last night
like deer in the headlights,
when you tried to run a play,

tho you missed the dunk
i felt so punked,
cause i'd been cry-i-i-ng over you
cry-i-i-ng over you,

since hans said "so long"
left me standing all alone
alone and crying, crying, cryiiiiiiiing
it's hard to understand
i want to BE the man
and so i'm crying...

i thought that i,
could coach you well,
but it's hell, oh it's hell
i love my last team best
they showed up for the test
but tarholes what can i DOOOOOOOOO
for you DONT love me
and i'll always be
cryiiing, over you cryiiiiing, over you

yes, now the N.I.T.
and "huck" i'll always be

I'll be crying, crying cryiiiiiiiiiing

cryiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

cryiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

oooooooo-ooooo-oooover yoooooooooooooooou

Lancelot in Camelot singing the ode to himself, naturally, "C'est Moi.":D

Best-- Blueprofessor:)

pfrduke
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
However, you look at teams ranked ahead of this in the standings... Kansas, Ketucky, Nova, Purdue and Syracuse have had all tougher schedules but maybe Ketucky.

First, n's.

Second, Villanova has not played much of anyone. Their two best non-conference wins are Dayton and Maryland. They lost at Temple by 10, at Georgetown by 12, and at home to UCONN by 9. Even in conference, their schedule hasn't been as tough yet - they've played the top teams just 3 times (2 v. Georgetown, one at West Virginia). Our schedule (Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Georgetown, ASU/UConn, plus 2 against GT, 2 against Clemson, and games against Wake and Maryland) has been tougher to date.

Third, I don't know that Syracuse's schedule has been tougher than ours either. We both have games against UNC - theirs neutral but with Zeller, ours in the Dean Dome. They played Cal, Florida, and Memphis non-conference, none on the road, and we played @Wisconsin, Gonzaga, @Georgetown, and the ASU/UConn tandem. In conference, they've played only played the top teams twice (@WVA, home against Georgetown) plus a home game against Pitt.

Purdue may be closer - Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wake Forest non-conference (though none of those on the road), and in conference they've already tangled with Wisconsin twice, hosted OSU and gone to MSU. Both of us have hosted Wake and both gone to Wisconsin. So the question is whether you think neutral v. Tennessee, home v. WVA, home v. OSU, and @MSU is tougher than neutral v. Gonzaga, @ Georgetown, and two games each against Clemson and Georgia Tech.

We've played a tough schedule so far - it's the main reason our computer rankings are so good.

pfrduke
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Another way to look at it - Top 50 opponents to date:

Team RPI Pomeroy
Duke 11 13
Villanova 8 10
Syracuse 7 7
Purdue 7 8
Kentucky 5 5
Kansas 8 8

Apparently I undersold Villanova in my prior post, but the point stands - we've played more quality opponents to date than the other teams you mentioned angling for a 1-seed.

devildownunder
02-16-2010, 08:14 PM

We beat G'town in the regional finals in '89. '88 was Temple.

Just being a stickler. Sorry.

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
First, n's.

Second, Villanova has not played much of anyone. Their two best non-conference wins are Dayton and Maryland. They lost at Temple by 10, at Georgetown by 12, and at home to UCONN by 9. Even in conference, their schedule hasn't been as tough yet - they've played the top teams just 3 times (2 v. Georgetown, one at West Virginia). Our schedule (Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Georgetown, ASU/UConn, plus 2 against GT, 2 against Clemson, and games against Wake and Maryland) has been tougher to date.

Third, I don't know that Syracuse's schedule has been tougher than ours either. We both have games against UNC - theirs neutral but with Zeller, ours in the Dean Dome. They played Cal, Florida, and Memphis non-conference, none on the road, and we played @Wisconsin, Gonzaga, @Georgetown, and the ASU/UConn tandem. In conference, they've played only played the top teams twice (@WVA, home against Georgetown) plus a home game against Pitt.

Purdue may be closer - Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wake Forest non-conference (though none of those on the road), and in conference they've already tangled with Wisconsin twice, hosted OSU and gone to MSU. Both of us have hosted Wake and both gone to Wisconsin. So the question is whether you think neutral v. Tennessee, home v. WVA, home v. OSU, and @MSU is tougher than neutral v. Gonzaga, @ Georgetown, and two games each against Clemson and Georgia Tech.

We've played a tough schedule so far - it's the main reason our computer rankings are so good.

Sycrause will get the benefit because they play in the Big East for sure.

Wins: At West Virginia, Georgetown, UConn, South Florida, Memphis, Marquette, at Florida.

Losses: Pitt and Louisville

This should tell the story about Sycrause. They win out they are a one seed. Plain and simple.

Nova: I think would get the big and all mighty Big East treatment as well. Good points on there schedule though.

Purdue: Good points on there schedule as well, and they play in the Big 10 so that would put them over the top in any dicussion between us and them.

What it comes down to in my mind is that the Big East and big 10 will ran supreme over the ACC this year, plain and simple. That's why I think we need to run the table to get a #1 seed.

bluepenguin
02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Funny article in ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4917745

-Duke guard Jon Scheyer (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31709) is perfect for biathlon. He's a great shooter, and averaging 36.6 minutes per game shows he has the stamina to handle the cross-country skiing, too.

-North Carolina coach Roy Williams would feel right at home in the kiss-and-cry area adjacent to the figure-skating rink. College basketball's resident drama queen teared up -- again -- during a recent interview with Yahoo! about the Tar Heels' struggles this season. Get the man a sequined jump suit, please.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Saw this and was just about to post it. He's going to cry when he reads that too :(

ice-9
02-17-2010, 03:20 AM
I agree with Forde's assessment of the ACC -- few bad teams, lots of decent ones, but few if any elite teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke as the only team advancing past the first weekend of the tournament. The ACC has a lot of teams that deserve to be in the tourney, but few who will advance deep.

I hope I'll be proven wrong though (Duke advancing aside :))...

tele
02-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsQSb9RFo0

The King himself would approve.

What's that round thing that's going around in circles?

and bow wow to you too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUAg1_A7IE&feature=fvwe1