PDA

View Full Version : Scheyer POTW again

jimsumner
02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Duke’s Jon Scheyer has been named ACC Player of the Week while Florida State’s Michael Snaer has earned ACC Rookie of the Week recognition.

In earning the Player of the Week Award for the third time this season and for the fourth time in his career, Scheyer led the Blue Devils to a pair of ACC wins over North Carolina and Maryland this past week. The Northbrook, Ill., senior recorded his ACC-leading 12th and 13th 20-point games of the year, averaging 23.0 points per game and shooting 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from 3-point range for the week.

Scheyer recorded a game-high 24 points to go along with five rebounds, four assists and two steals in Wednesday’s 64-54 win at North Carolina. He capped off the week with a 22-point effort in Saturday’s 77-56 win over Maryland, going 6-of-12 from the field, including 3-of-4 from 3-point range.

jimsumner
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Make that POW again, not POY. Getting a bit ahead of myself.

Jumbo
02-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Fixed it for ya, Jim.

Newton_14
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Congrats to Jon. Really hoping he finishes strong down the stretch. Winning ACC POY would be a great accomplishment.

But who is his main competition at this point?

Vasquez?
Lawal?
Booker?
Landesburge?
Aminu?

Is there a glaring omission somewhere I am not thinking of?

CDu
02-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Congrats to Jon. Really hoping he finishes strong down the stretch. Winning ACC POY would be a great accomplishment.

But who is his main competition at this point?

Vasquez?
Lawal?
Booker?
Landesburge?
Aminu?

Is there a glaring omission somewhere I am not thinking of?

Delaney would be the only other guy I'd consider, depending upon how he and VT finish in conference. But now that we've distanced ourselves a bit from Maryland (and Vazquez), I'd put Scheyer as the favorite.

jimsumner
02-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Competition for POY? GV, Aminu if Wake passes Duke for first (highly unlikely, IMO), Delaney if VT passes Duke (even more unlikely). I think the 'Hoos are going to fade down the stretch, taking Landesberg's chances with them.

trinity92
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Another reminder that even though we're getting a top-notch point guard in Kyrie Irving, our focus needs to be squarely on this year, while we have a very special senior leader at pg. Players like Jon don't come along every day.

Jumbo, any insight as to our jersey retirement rules vis a vis a player being selected ACC POY but not National POY? Obviously a decent shot for Jon at the former, but much less so for the latter.

Jumbo
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Another reminder that even though we're getting a top-notch point guard in Kyrie Irving, our focus needs to be squarely on this year, while we have a very special senior leader at pg. Players like Jon don't come along every day.

Jumbo, any insight as to our jersey retirement rules vis a vis a player being selected ACC POY but not National POY? Obviously a decent shot for Jon at the former, but much less so for the latter.

Not sure why you're asking me, but there aren't official "rules" about jersey retirement, although there was a comment at a ceremony (maybe Shelden's) about a player needing to have won some kind of national award ... except for the fact that guys like Hurley didn't. There was a whole discussion on whether Scheyer would even enter the picture in late December/early January, and the consensus in that thread is that it would take a deep tourney run, if not a national title, plus minimum of first-team AA, if not NPOY, for Scheyer to get consideration.

jimsumner
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
There are broad guidelines re jersey retirement but no rules as such.

Given that the universe of non-retired jerseys includes such notables as Bob Verga, Jack Marin, Mike Lewis, Randy Denton, Jim Spanarkel, Gene Banks, Mark Alarie, Trajan Langdon, Elton Brand, Chris Carrawell and Chris Duhon, I suspect Jon would have to be ACC POY to even get his foot in the door and probably a lot more to actually pull it off.

It's a pretty select club.

JDev
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Not sure why you're asking me, but there aren't official "rules" about jersey retirement, although there was a comment at a ceremony (maybe Shelden's) about a player needing to have won some kind of national award ... except for the fact that guys like Hurley didn't. There was a whole discussion on whether Scheyer would even enter the picture in late December/early January, and the consensus in that thread is that it would take a deep tourney run, if not a national title, plus minimum of first-team AA, if not NPOY, for Scheyer to get consideration.

I saw Coach K discussing this very thing on his "Inside Duke Basketball" show earlier this year. He detailed the general guidelines, which include graduating from Duke, receiving a national award (NPOY, NDPOY), and/or setting a national record (which would explain the Hurley inclusion). He talked about these guidelines, and the fact that because of them Duke is one of the toughest universities to earn that honor.