PDA

View Full Version : Duke dominace could continue

Gargoyle
02-15-2010, 10:37 AM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7024058/

Durhamrocks68
02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I made some of these points in an earlier thread. The key is the PG position for the Holes, and next year, it doesn't get that much better. Sure, Drew can improve and probably will. However, I still don't think he'll be an elite PG and I definitely don't see that with Marshall either. Decent to solid, at best. We should have the advantage at this key position for a few years now, and shift the balance of power back to Durham (already occurring this year!).

oldnavy
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Terrible editing on this blog... but the content is solid. I would like to think that this will carry over for a few years, but it is way too early to be thinking about that. Let's dominate one year at a time...

Biscuit King
02-15-2010, 10:57 AM
The typos in that article hurt my eyes.

And it's too early to speculate on 2010 rosters. We have no idea who will be back and who won't, whether Kendall Marshall is better than Larry Drew or not, if Harrison Barnes will live up to the hype, or how good the Plumlees (or the Wears) will be next year.

UrinalCake
02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
The typos in that article hurt my eyes.

Yeah, they used "should" in the title when they meant to say "will" 8-)

jipops
02-15-2010, 11:11 AM
This article looks like it is trying to downplay UNC's talent next season and over-hype Duke's. UNC has 3 of the top-15 high school players in the nation coming in next season. With or without Ed Davis they will still have loads of depth in the front court and plenty of athletes and talent at every position. The freshmen they have now will get a lot better, especially the Strickland kid. They're not hurting at all for next season, no matter what the article tries to imply.

CDu
02-15-2010, 11:23 AM
The key to next season for UNC will be how much better Strickland/Drew get at PG and/or how good Marshall is at PG. We don't know how that will play out.

We also don't know how good Bullock and Barnes will be (or how good Strickland/McDonald will be) at the wing spots.

It is very possible that UNC could bounce back in a big way next year if the perimeter play improves. If we're willing to assume that our freshman and sophomores will make big contributions next year, then it's only reasonable to assume the same for UNC's freshmen and sophomores.

roywhite
02-15-2010, 11:30 AM
In the TarHeel category, today's Jeopardy answer:

The correct question, Alex....how many days since UNC has beaten a team other than NCSU?

sandinmyshoes
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Odds are Drew will be a better point guard just from having wing players like Barnes and Bullock, as opposed to Ginyard and Graves.

We will probably have the advantage at the point, although I still suspect Marshall will be an annoyingly efficient point guard despite his average athleticism. Depending on who leaves and who improves on each team, the front courts and the wing positions could go either way.

I am not allowing myself to get completely giddy about this UNC season, never mind the next few seasons. I feel like if I buy into it too much, they'll win the ACC tourney and make a decent run into the NCAAs. I still remember the year that Cota decided to play defense in the NCAA and they went to the Final Four with what I'd have thought would have been a second round and out team. :mad:

I'll celebrate when the season is in the books. My wife is a UNC fan, premature celebration could come back to haunt me big time.

miramar
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
What we should take from the article is that it's dangerous to make too many assumptions, as many people did in assuming that UNC was the nation's powerhouse program and that ol' Roy would just reload rather than rebuild, especially with a freshman class that early on appeared to be the best in the country. But with that caveat, we should be happy where we are and where we are headed.

Duvall
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
This article looks like it is trying to downplay UNC's talent next season and over-hype Duke's. UNC has 3 of the top-15 high school players in the nation coming in next season. With or without Ed Davis they will still have loads of depth in the front court and plenty of athletes and talent at every position. The freshmen they have now will get a lot better, especially the Strickland kid. They're not hurting at all for next season, no matter what the article tries to imply.

I think you may be overrating Marshall a bit, but the Heels are bringing in two very good players at the spots where they are hurting most this year. I agree with those that say it's too early to tell how next year will work out - let's just stop and enjoy how terrible they are this year.

dukelifer
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
This UNC team could get much better and very fast. The pressure is off them now. Henson is playing with abandon- Drew has shown signs of improving. All in all, they have this season to prepare for next- mostly in terms of developing chemistry. If they can get on a little roll- who knows. My hopes is that every team pushes them hard - particularly when at home- so they don't start believing. UNC could have 10 McDonald AA's on their team next year. I am pretty sure that Roy will have enough talent- he just needs a little chemistry.

Durhamrocks68
02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Usually comes from senior leadership, which they will be lacking in next year. I agree that they will be talented, but, imho, I don't see an elite team next year. Plus, I believe Barnes will require the ball quite a bit, which may affect chemistry. I'm not writing them off, and I think they will be an NCAA Tourney team. I just think we'll be better then them again. It's been a little while since I could truly believe that.

* I should clarify that I'm basing this on having senior leadership next year from Smith and Singler. If one or both go early, then it would be pretty even (a tilt to UNC if both Smith and Singler leave early). I really don't see this happening, but I guess you never know.

Turtleboy
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
In the TarHeel category, today's Jeopardy answer:

The correct question, Alex....how many days since UNC has beaten a team other than NCSU?Otherwise known as the Sidney Lowe Sandwich.

When they were 8-20 it was the Les Robinson Sandwich.

Cockabeau
02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
If Duke gets Carrick Felix, I don't see any tangible weakness on the team.

For some reason Harrison Barnes does not scare me at all. He does not possess that explosive first step that I look for in an elite wing.

Roy struck gold with back to back elite PGs that stayed more than two years. Thats not going to happen often.

Even though the rewards are obvious- as elite PG's on loaded teams produce results. I truly believe Roy's ego got inflated with those Points Guards as a testament to his absolutely horrendous coaching job this year.

Durhamrocks68
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
He's real good, but he can't solve the PG issue next year. Agreed on Felix and I think he will be very good on defense, and if Singler stays, that's a nice set of wings to against Barnes and Bullock. And Roy does look pretty ordinary with in-game coaching w/o a Felton or Lawson racing up and down the court!

left_hook_lacey
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm sure it is. Their comments section is called "talk smack" and I'm sure that's exactly the purpose of this article. The mere title of it "Duke dominance could continue" is sure to show up on many search engines and basketball blogs which is sure to fire up Tar Heel fans. Many of them are aleady in "we'll get you next year" mode. So an article such as this one is obviously intended to get hits for this douche and his mis-spelled blog. So far, it's working, this is the 3rd mention of this article I have run into today.

BlueintheFace
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
If Kyle returns, I think Duke will have one of the most versatile teams in a loooooong time. Think about it. We could go big, small, really small... we could run, execute in the halfcourt, shoot threes, dump it down (hopefully).

K will be like a kid in a candy store with offensive gameplans.

DeBlueDevil
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to give my thoughts....I think we all should pay as little attention to the media as possible in regards to what they think of our team. Have we played well recently?....Absolutely. But have we dominated? No. I believe we have a great team despite any flaws people may point out with lack of depth or athletiscism. I love the fact that our team competes at a high level night in and night out despite taking every opponents best shot. I can name few teams that can do what Duke has done in the past ten years. But the media kicks Duke when we're down and praises us but points out flaws when we are doing well. Especially in recent years with some early exits from the tourny.

When there is "low expectations" (this year) we exceed them, when there is high expectations we don't live up unless we win the championship. This is a lose lose situation for Duke because we "always have high expectations". Yet this is why I'm a Duke fan because no matter what outsiders say I know our team is capable of beating any team in the nation on any given night and we can be confident of a good showing every game. Do we sometimes have realistic matchup problems of course but thats basketball.

In terms of UNC's future. I'm suprised how poor they have played as of late but I refused to be fooled and by into the fact that they just suck now. I still see loads of potential in their lineup. The key to next year is the return of Kyle and Nolan but I believe mainly Kyle. I'd just love to see Kyle comeback and make a run for that national title and along the way matchup up with Harrison Barnes 2-3 times and dominate him they way a senior should against a freshman.

I think Barnes is the key to Carolina. Even if they receive decent play from a PG, that team is in need of someone to break out and take the job of the star and go to guy. I praise their depth but I just think sometimes you need to have faith and someone to make a play. I'm sure once that high school season is over...Mr. Barnes will be feeling the pressure. HIGH expectations for HB...hope he is as good as they think....but to me this one has a little bit of BUST written all over it. Still no Senior leadership for the heels next year..

Faison1
02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
It's quite ironic that one of the main selling points in Barnes coming to Duke was Duke's open 3 spot and that Duke would "need" HB more than UNC would. Now, it looks like UNC "needs" him more than Duke does.

Furthermore, perhaps Barnes knew something the rest of us didn't. Is it possible he had the crystal ball to see Singler might not go pro after this year?

loldevilz
02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I think it is way to early dismiss this UNC team. The year of experience will certainly make a big difference to this team. I expect Barnes will be a help, and maybe even a huge help (though again its too early to say). I can't see Bullock getting the start over LD2 from what I've heard about him. Henson I think will be the most improved after a year. It will also be a major help to have the Wear twin's healthy. They will be big and good.

I think that it will be a major blow to this team to lose 3 starting seniors. This can't be overemphasized. I have to say though I couldn't love Kyrie Irving or Seth Curry more. Our big guys will still the big question mark next year. Ryan and Mason will need to develop much better and faster than Zoubs or Lance have done for us to be good. I really don't expect Felix or Hairston to get much playing time if Singler stays. What seems most important to me is that Nolan and Singler become SENIOR LEADERS the way Scheyer, Lance, and Zoubek have this year.